New Event: Introducing...

Options
12346»

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Is this event gated behind Shield Ranking? If so, then what's the min level for new players to play?

I think the problems faced by those three star players could be due to:

1) bad board
    2) unfamiliarity with how Prof X (both versions) work
    3) not paying attention to the number of ap that Magneto has
    4) not denying blue and red matches

Magneto was level 225 while loaners were 255. So, I don't think levels of loaners havd to do with it. I think it's a combination of the above factors.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,723 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    You're probably right, Hound.  I think they knew about Invis... but then again, they probably don't know the priority of AP denial, or maybe even the importance of bringing the right TUs/boosts to a fight.

Once again, these are things that WE forumites know.  The rest... well, they better learn!  Or.... you know... quit.  :tongue:

Edit:  I re-read what I typed here... I'm not trying to sound like an elitist... I guess it's like saying ANYONE should be able to pick up a FPS game and start headshotting their way to victory.  And that's not the case.  In this game (or any block-based puzzle game), I assume not every player has an affinity for it.  And that's okay.  Perhaps my suggestions are moot based on that principal alone.  Can't feed EVERY player a victory....
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    When we face new challenges or step into unknown territories, it's normal to get off to a rough start. I think experiences and practices will help to make things better over time.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,294 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's a freaking puzzle game.  And you got loaners that were completely capable of winning at least some of the matches....I forget because I have everyone champed.

As you've already said, not everyone is interested in trying hard or persevering.

Every time....EVERY TIME.....I enter a PVE late I can still place T100 or even T50 if things go well.  (I join earlier now than I did before but the point stands. There are lots and lots of people who just barely play the game and aren't going to be bothered to learn strategies etc, maybe especially because the rewards in this case were unexciting.)

It's a testament to the power of habit and the design of the game (the feeling of progress) that people keep playing it even when they are just treading water and basically will never advance beyond their meager roster level.
  • PiMacleod
    edited June 2020
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    It's a freaking puzzle game.  And you got loaners that were completely capable of winning at least some of the matches....I forget because I have everyone champed.

As you've already said, not everyone is interested in trying hard or persevering.

Every time....EVERY TIME.....I enter a PVE late I can still place T100 or even T50 if things go well.  (I join earlier now than I did before but the point stands. There are lots and lots of people who just barely play the game and aren't going to be bothered to learn strategies etc, maybe especially because the rewards in this case were unexciting.)

It's a testament to the power of habit and the design of the game (the feeling of progress) that people keep playing it even when they are just treading water and basically will never advance beyond their meager roster level.
    As much as you're right, I'd still like to highlight that it IS a puzzle game.  There are people that just can't seem to see the strategies in moving a certain block or gem in a certain direction, and the cascades that could occur because of it.  Sure, most of the strategy of this game doesn't come from the gem movement, but the character/power synergies, and resource management... but still, at the core, if you don't know what to look for, and just don't get it overall, then it's probably not for you.

That said, I know a few people who are genius-level IQ at collectible card games, but can't play that masterfully in a puzzle game.  People who are absolute stars in classic platformers, but do not hack n slash looters as well.  I'm just pointing out that (i'm assuming) most people here on these forums are probably at least advanced in puzzle games.  I'd find it hard to believe someone with years involved in the game aren't that well versed in block-moving puzzle games;  although, i guess you COULD have someone who just wants to throw money at the game, look up online who the meta teams are, and chase the meta, without caring about the puzzle game mechanics.  Not sure if that actually exists.

Its okay... as I said earlier, those people will probably drop off our alliance soon enough.  It's been a couple years for them, and they are always falling behind.  I can't imagine someone would stick with it much longer, especially with this 5* ramp-up lately.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    PiMacleod. What you said was noble and solidary. What Im going to say is mean and harsh. Lucky me that Im bad.
    Tell them to grow stronger.
    And tell them that event had a difficult level for children.
    If they are interested they will advance. If not they will quit. But happens the same at school, its not advisable to lower the level at minimum for all children passing grade.
    If they cant they will repeat next time. But they must show some effort at the very least.
  • FesterTester
    FesterTester Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Options
    I enjoyed the event, and was able to win every fight with the loaners without too much difficulty (the lv550 Onslaught loaner often won in three moves or less, would have been nice to be able to select higher enemy levels for that).  No complaints about the tiny rewards, the attraction here was to play around with fully covered and champed 5-star loaners while most of mine only have one or two covers.

I replayed the first fight at least a dozen times to play around with a fully covered 5*Prof.X and won about 2/3 of the time, most of the losses were from playing carelessly just to play around with the node, a couple were from the AI's patented mega-cascades.

This seems to be the closest thing we have received to the much-requested "sandbox" or "playground" mode, even if it is a limited time for newly-released characters and a few others.
    Kudos to the devs, more along these lines please.

• Feliz
    Feliz Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I liked the idea of this event, definitely a step in the right direction:). Artwork bigger please but overall nice ;). Rewards are **** but really nice to have a play with new guy so I didn't mind anyway!
  • PiMacleod
    Options
    Bad said:
    PiMacleod. What you said was noble and solidary. What Im going to say is mean and harsh. Lucky me that Im bad.
    Tell them to grow stronger.
    And tell them that event had a difficult level for children.
    If they are interested they will advance. If not they will quit. But happens the same at school, its not advisable to lower the level at minimum for all children passing grade.
    If they cant they will repeat next time. But they must show some effort at the very least.
    You are not wrong.

I can only lead the horse to water.  But dang it... they just don't drink!  Its a good thing we're a pretty casual alliance.  We only require that people remain active (no inactivity for longer than a week, unless someone knows what you're up to), and that people participate (try) in the alliance events.

There's like 5 or 6 of us in there around my level, and the rest are spread out down the ladder from there.

You'd think we'd all pack up and join a more active alliance by now... but I think we're all just too... casual.  :)
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My alliance is much the same. I have 3 IRL coworkers in it, two are fairly active with one being a 4* player and the other a 3-4 transitioner, the rest are just randos that come and go. A lot of young rosters, we do what we can to bootstrap them but we really only get about 12-14 participants in a given alliance event, and of those, only a few of us can even hit full personal progression.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My advice is to do exactly what we did: ask the most active players for contact on Line and migrate to other active alliance with free slots.
    Enjoy more the game with the help of active players and let relaxed ones to  follow their own rthytm.
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 591 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Feliz said:
    I liked the idea of this event, definitely a step in the right direction:). Artwork bigger please but overall nice ;). Rewards are **** but really nice to have a play with new guy so I didn't mind anyway!

I didn't think they were 4 star rewards myself.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    PiMacleod said:
    OJSP said:
    PiMacleod said:
    Because day 1 required Prof X.  And the Prof X the players had were not up to the challenge.
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but all the nodes gave us loaners, didn’t they? So, everyone should be able to play the whole event. Whether they should be able to beat all the nodes with those loaners is a different discussion.

I’m quite sure all the nodes had loaners and that’s why I gave the event a good feedback. If that's not the case, then I stand corrected and I'll amend my feedback.
    They gave loaners.  You're right.  But I guess the loaners weren't enough?  Once again, I have no clue what the problem was.  Maybe the level of mags versus the loaners wasn't good enough?  I do remember one individual telling me that he couldnt get invis before Mags red OR blue killed him.

I'm just saying that for the level of rewards, and the sake of a purely story event, perhaps give MORE safety nets...?  I mean, whats it gonna hurt?  Especially if those safety nets are only usable in said event.
    The first run of this event was 100% winnable with only the loaners.  That's at least how I completed it, even if I had to replay a few nodes to get it done (which given the loaners cost me nothing but time).  I have no idea how I compare to an "average" player in terms of skill in this game (roster quality aside), but I am quite certain I'm certainly not exceptional in any way in that regard, so a lower tier player should be able to handle it with persistence & patience...
  • Feliz
    Feliz Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Feliz said:

I didn't think they were 4 star rewards myself.
    Hehe, got edited by forum gremlins, but nice pickup Bern :D