New Event: Introducing...

Options

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,329 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    supergarv said:
    Meh, can‘t read any of the background text and the battle starts right without an additional story. That‘s a letdown. :-(
    But you can read the text on the node (before you start the match).  The game has in recent events trended very far away from the annoying dialogue scenes and just put information on the screen where you enter the match.

I am fine with that, although reading dialogue is also fine on untimed nodes.

I echo the request to either make the comic bigger somehow, or clickable, or something.  I did find that you can read the balloons if you take a screeenshot and enlarge it on your device.  (The balloons weren't necessarily intended to be read as standalone dialogue......)
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 977 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I did it on one account with 4* Prof X. Playing him 1v1 shows he's definitely a support character. Luckily I was invisible quite soon, bc the board wasn't match-5 friendly and he has no active powers, so it's all down to match damage.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,556 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The event idea is FANTASTIC. The shard rewards are pointless.
  • supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    supergarv said:
    Meh, can‘t read any of the background text and the battle starts right without an additional story. That‘s a letdown. :-(
    But you can read the text on the node (before you start the match).  The game has in recent events trended very far away from the annoying dialogue scenes and just put information on the screen where you enter the match.

I am fine with that, although reading dialogue is also fine on untimed nodes.

I echo the request to either make the comic bigger somehow, or clickable, or something.  I did find that you can read the balloons if you take a screeenshot and enlarge it on your device.  (The balloons weren't necessarily intended to be read as standalone dialogue......)
    Sadly no, a screenshot with my iphone pro max doesnt yield readable text.

I had hoped to get the comic panel on a story element graphic. Should technically be extremely easy to implement. No repeats for the nodes or speed required. Add story there, no drawbacks.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I would definitely appreciate being able to see the comic panels in more detail somehow  I really like the idea but it’s let down a bit by not being able to see the story. 
  • bluewolf
    Options
    On my relatively old iphone 7, here's what I did:

1.  Take a screenshot of the panel.  Crop in on the panel you want to read.
    2.  Go to Photos.  Open the photo.  Zoom/expand.  

That's it, it was plenty legible to read the first day's panel.  Here's what it says:

"It all boils down, finally, no matter how alike we are, the fundamental difference in our views, Magnus!

Mine is a dream to live in harmony with those who fear and despise us - to make them see the error of their ways ---"

Aside....it is hard to imagine any person speaking words that eloquent while engaged in physical conflict with someone......
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bluewolf said:

That's it, it was plenty legible to read the first day's panel.  Here's what it says:

"It all boils down, finally, no matter how alike we are, the fundamental difference in our views, Magnus!

Mine is a dream to live in harmony with those who fear and despise us - to make them see the error of their ways ---"

Aside....it is hard to imagine any person speaking words that eloquent while engaged in physical conflict with someone......
    You’ve obviously not read Claremont’s run on  X-Men. There’s a Shakespearean Soliloquy in between punches. :)
  • bluewolf
    Options
    pheregas said:
    bluewolf said:

You’ve obviously not read Claremont’s run on  X-Men. There’s a Shakespearean Soliloquy in between punches. :)
    Oh, I've read them.   :D  In retrospect it's just hard not to wonder a bit at some of the panels.  "Stand still while I wax philosophic before I blast you to smithereens."  
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Fortunately I read and still have the entire Onslaught crossover so I just re- read from the original books . Ironically it’s probably the story line I hated the most , because the characters were Born Again in horrible story lines . That hell lasted for a year before Marvel realized readers don’t want alternate versions of their heroes . Sadly times have changed .
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Who's that character in the second comic stripe? Blonde hair, wearing red, laying on the floor. 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,602 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Who's that character in the second comic stripe? Blonde hair, wearing red, laying on the floor. 
    Bottom-center? Juggernaut. The panel on the bottom right is from the same comic.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    Thank you. I can't recognise him at all. :D
  • MrPlow
    MrPlow Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    After playing the loaner a few times I'm not a fan.  He's in the same class as Sinister.
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Well that lvl 550 Onslaught was fun, but (and I can\t believe I'm saying this), I hope we get to try him out against higher level opponents so as to try out his other powers. Both Juggs and Jean Grey were downed with on 4-match each
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,602 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Loosie said:
    Well that lvl 550 Onslaught was fun, but (and I can\t believe I'm saying this), I hope we get to try him out against higher level opponents so as to try out his other powers. Both Juggs and Jean Grey were downed with on 4-match each
    I made a match-3 to cascade into a match-4, got a crazy combo with at least two crits, and won the match in a single move...

I like that it's a nice relaxed story, but I agree that it's too easy to really get a feel for the character mechanically.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    I need to play the match 3 times just to watch his animation, and his passive green doesn't have animation. 

Day 2 is too easy. You can close your eyes, move any tile and you will still win the match 
  • MrPlow
    MrPlow Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I can also confirm his blue doesn't destroy special tiles.  Makes it extra meh.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Illistrations are more bigger now. If it could enlarge a bit more it would be better yet. Today at least can be seen.
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Day 2.

The round seems a bit short, despite a lack of TU tiles on the 3 times I played the node. Maybe a more balanced 1v1 would have been a better idea for this one? Then again, with his powers being as lackluster as they seem against anyone but specific TU tile creators/special tile spammers, that might have been a little too difficult. I think a lot of people completed this node at least once with pure match damage, which isn’t a great showcasing of a new character.

When his PvP comes up, it will be interesting to see who will be the best pairings with him. I myself only have Grockernaut & Carbusa to compete with, so maybe I’ll be checking out this Karnak America team I’ve heard so much about. I hope a 1/4/2 on America will be enough.

I will say it was nice to take down a Juggernaut with no stress.