New Event: Introducing...

Options

Comments

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think the event is great for knowing a bit about char story and about how it works on game. All happened as devs told, so not many surprises here. Although I found all the event too easy for me I enjoyed playing it.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    The event was okay. I feel like it showcased Onslaught enough for me to feel he is very underwhelming. 

I like the idea though, I hope they continue with these for new characters.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I appreciate the effort that was put into this and how the story was attempted to be recreated by the different battles, obviously there wer some bumps along the way but it was put together with love you could tell. I'm not sure the format will work with all releases if there isn't a fairly self contained story to rely on like Onslaught was but obviously it will be interesting to find out.

Having experienced Onslaught here and in his PVP I have to conclude that whilst he might be an annoying opponent to fight against, he isn't doing much else to shake things up and I have a feeling he may not get too much wider play at large.
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So i had to laugh. The wave battle yesterday was going well i had no trouble until the last node. The AI got some wonderfully lucky and lovely massive cascades that resulted in me more or less getting stunlocked for 15 or 20 turns (I can't remember now if Switch fired her purple 3 or 4 times). I had to keep tapping the screen to keep my phone awake. but it was comical. Between that and the massive amounts of red and black the AI was reaping as well Cyclops was having his way with a stunned Onslaught. He went from pretty much full health (about 75K) to only 5578 before he was unstunned for an actual active turn.

After beating it at that point I went and tried again. Finished easily with 68422 health while invisible.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 974 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Last day, X-men against a solo Onslaught. I thought taking some stunners would be nice, only to see he is immune to stun. Weirdly this only ever applies to the characters the AI plays. Yesterday my loaner Onslaught had no such advantage.
    Still very doable. Onslaught seems to me to be a character that really needs other characters around to shine. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    If we allow ourselves to immerse into the storylines, and see how some of the scenes in the comics are represented in MPQ, I think one would be able to enjoy this event. 
    The goal here is to show off the character and their origins, not provide an unbeatable wall for players to push against just to find out more cool info. 

Since this is one of the goals of this event stated in the post, I would say it does meet this goal. This event is totally inclusive, where even 1* player can complete the entire nodes without needing to worry about rostering powerful characters or using healthpacks to win those matches.

However, if someone play this event with the main intention of gaining additional rewards to power up their characters or  attaching a minimum reward value for playing these nodes, then it's likely they are not the intended audience for these events. Because, to them, their end goals for completing these events are to get more and better rewards, which contradict the goals of these events. Since the rewards are not good and possibly an insult to them, I don't think they'd bother with these events in the future.

Total rewards for completing all 5 nodes with a difficulty of 2 out of 10:
    4250 ISO-8
    15 Onslaught shards
    1 Heroic Token

I appreciate being able to play with champed 5* characters, albeit under limited settings: Onslaught, Prof X, OML and Jean Grey.  

• krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Final node seems about right on balance. Every time I went in, OML got dropped before the end of the battle. That said, it feels like Profe$$or’s luck for match 4s was cranked up to 11 for Onslaught. I’m curious to know if players have seen unreasonable odds for match 5s & TU heavy boards in the PvP event.
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I barely beat it with loaners OML and Prof . I had 1 match 4 the entire battle while he rained them on me. In the end it was J Grey left standing 457 health 
  • GreenArmadillo
    GreenArmadillo Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Event was not bad, but would it break the game for it to stay open for an extra day or two? Like most events of this type you can skip early days but if you miss the final day for some reason you are out of luck.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    krakenoon said:
    Final node seems about right on balance. Every time I went in, OML got dropped before the end of the battle. That said, it feels like Profe$$or’s luck for match 4s was cranked up to 11 for Onslaught. I’m curious to know if players have seen unreasonable odds for match 5s & TU heavy boards in the PvP event.

I felt this was true on the wave node day with Onslaught vs everybody. I started with a Match 5 and had no problem getting multiple Match 5 and 4 throughout. I didn't use Prof $ on day 5 and things seemed back to normal there.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    krakenoon said:

I felt this was true on the wave node day with Onslaught vs everybody. I started with a Match 5 and had no problem getting multiple Match 5 and 4 throughout. I didn't use Prof $ on day 5 and things seemed back to normal there.

Call me a skeptic, but  I am pretty sure that is just confirmation bias saying hello.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    krakenoon said:

Call me a skeptic, but  I am pretty sure that is just confirmation bias saying hello.

Maybe - it could well have just been pure luck but it was unusual, I got 10 Match 5/4 and literally just cruised through. Obviously you would need a fairly sizeable chunk of matches to monitor to determine whether the suspicions about Prof X might be true for Onslaught. Was probably just as you say.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,565 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No problem to beat this PVE with my main account, but more importantly my alternate with only a few 3* champs could actually play and win all nodes!
    Great to see a new thing that is actually open to all players and even if the rewards were limited, I appreciated this PVE very much.
    All too often this game seems to forget about the new(er) players and I do believe that this event might help newbies to stick around now that they're been able to play around a bit with a 5*.

Only weird thing though: I finished it yesterday and was 61st, this morning I had moved up to 60 and I finished on 59th when the PVE closed. It makes no difference, it was just odd.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,940 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Alfje17 said:

Only weird thing though: I finished it yesterday and was 61st, this morning I had moved up to 60 and I finished on 59th when the PVE closed. It makes no difference, it was just odd.
    Nothing odd about that. It just means one of the players who finished ahead of you replayed one of the nodes. That then gives them a new finish time after yours.

KGB

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    When you replay the node and complete the match, your ranking will fall. This means that two players above you replayed the nodes and completed them.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,306 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Alfje17 said:

Sandboxed accounts being taken off the leaderboard will do that.

There are soooooooo many cheaters out there.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Overall I think the concept was excellent. No timers, more opportunity for “Puzzle”. I love the game but so much of it is about speed these days. 

I feel like ever since the animations were removed from competitive play we’ve been crying out for something like this.

New content, non-placement based, animations can be switched on. You know what else would be really great in these events? Cut scenes. Much better for explaining the story. 

Rewards - more shards in progression and a token each time. 

More nodes too. 10 days worth would be better, Go wild!
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Completely different take incoming:

This event IS NOT completely inclusive.  I know, I speak among a group of peers that have no issues playing these nodes.  I'm with you.  HOWEVER...

My alliance is not.  Sure, maybe like 70% of my alliance did it all.  But there were a couple of noteworthy exceptions where they could NOT complete this event, and were dismayed from day 1.  

Because day 1 required Prof X.  And the Prof X the players had were not up to the challenge.

Now of course, I can't account for how they played it.  Maybe they didn't play it correctly, using 4* prof's purple to stay invis throughout the fight... maybe they couldn't get the purple either!  I have no clue.  But I DO know that I heard from multiple people how they couldn't beat the first node, and then they basically stopped playing the event because they got hard-stopped on the first node.  

YES I told them that the next nodes were much easier, but they were already dismayed.  And to be honest, I'm kinda surprised these players aren't out the door yet.  They're good people, but they don't keep up with the daily grind like you or I, and they don't put in the money to make up for lack of grind.  So every time they play, they are reminded of what they DON'T have, and that abyss grows deeper each time.

The fact that a very old 4* and a now-classic 5* were the only options for the first node kinda stung those players.  

In conclusion, 1* players couldn't play this event   The people I were speaking of were 3* players (with 5* characters that ruin their MMR, but I digress).  

As much as I enjoyed this event, I will speak for them.  Next time, please present a competent loaner character for use.  Because lets be honest -- no one is playing this event for the rewards.  Sure, some shards are nice.... but 15 shards isn't the draw here.  It's the story.  And even if 15 shards attracted me or anyone else, then so be it... However, everyone should be able to complete it.

Suggestion:  Remember how they used to give out specific boosts?  Like, +#% damage against all Hulks, or +#% damage against Doombots...   How about the lower a person's SCL, the more event-specific boosts they gain?  "+#% damage during any Introducing.... node".  Lower Shield Levels give a higher amount of boosts, so that lower people can have a chance of doing it.  Or even a boost that is an exclusive team-up.  "Only for use in Introducing... nodes.  Scott Summers jumps in and blast the enemy for 10k damage.  Costs 10 TU AP."

I dunno, just spit ballin'.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    OJSP said:
    PiMacleod said:
    Because day 1 required Prof X.  And the Prof X the players had were not up to the challenge.
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but all the nodes gave us loaners, didn’t they? So, everyone should be able to play the whole event. Whether they should be able to beat all the nodes with those loaners is a different discussion.

I’m quite sure all the nodes had loaners and that’s why I gave the event a good feedback. If that's not the case, then I stand corrected and I'll amend my feedback.
    They gave loaners.  You're right.  But I guess the loaners weren't enough?  Once again, I have no clue what the problem was.  Maybe the level of mags versus the loaners wasn't good enough?  I do remember one individual telling me that he couldnt get invis before Mags red OR blue killed him.

I'm just saying that for the level of rewards, and the sake of a purely story event, perhaps give MORE safety nets...?  I mean, whats it gonna hurt?  Especially if those safety nets are only usable in said event.