Grand Experiment 2: Treading Water in the SCL 10 Post-Shardpocalypse

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are you going to champ him as your only 5?
  • Chirus
    Chirus Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Are you going to champ him as your only 5?
    The current plan is no. I have no urgent need to do so. In fact, there's really no rush until I unlock SCL 10. So currently, I'm going to keep collecting covers from the Latest store, but leave them untouched. Once I unlock SCL 10, hopefully, I'll have enough ISO left to champ one or two of them and have at least something that can handle enough nodes to clear progression rewards at a minimum. I don't think I need anything super powerful to do that, but I'm open to advice.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't know if it's you but there was a thread in reddit where a player fully covered Moon Knight recently and he did it on Day 307 with about $100 usd spent. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelPuzzleQuest/comments/w0jqc4/my_first_fully_covered_5_as_an_scl9_player_no/

However, I feel that this might be his second account. 
  • Chirus
    Yep, this is indeed me. And yes, this is technically my second account (it's now my main account). I've been learning as much about this game as I can since I started around fall of last year.  I like experimenting within the space that I have and seeing what works and what doesn't for me. And I enjoy debating with people about their different approaches while trying to be fair as much as possible to their perspectives. I think I've settled on a playstyle that works for me and makes the most sense for me. I'm also prepared to be surprised and totally wrong in my base assumptions, lol. But I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited July 2022
    Moon Knight is out, Jane Foster Thor is in. I switched back to latest after grinding awhile in classics, and got a pair of yellows for Jane out of the 16 or so pulls I had from Latest tokens. I was able to get Phoenix trued up to the champ rewards on Jubilee, so she is now 5/4/3 with 2 shards. Also ended up with a shard level for immortal hulk off a puck reward. 

Current Latest:
    Gargantos: 5/4/3 with 298 shards
    Kamala: 2/2/1 with 950 shards
    Jane Foster: 1/0/2 with 440 shards

NEW:
    Chasm: 0/0/0 just released

Current favorites:
    Gargantos: 202 shards to champed
    Jubilee: level 350
    3*: just re-champing recent flips

Once Gargantos is done, I'm trying to decide how best to use my 5* shard. I'm getting down to the point on some of these characters where my current 4* feeder doesn't have enough shards remaining to finish the character without starting a duplicate.

My remaining unchamped 5s not including latest or Phoenix:
    Archangel: 3/4/4 with 260 shards. Nightcrawler is currently 351, so I'll be half a cover short
    Black Widow: 4/2/2 with 150 shards. N4tasha has 1250 shards left to give, so I'll definitely have to start a dupe. Widow has long been my worst covered 5.
    Doctor Octopus: 3/4/4 with 5 shards. Carnage is at 335
    Black Suit Spider-Man: 4/3/4 with 0 shards. Iron-Spider is at 323

I think I'll keep up with chasing them in order of nearness to completion, so I'll move my 4* to carnage and then to Black Suit. That way there's a possibility Archangel will get featured again to finish him up. Widow is going to be the ultra long haul - I essentially need ~85 more N4tasha covers to do it assuming I start the dupe when my first hits 360. So the question on the table is do I move my 5* shard to her along the way to grind out a cover in the meantime? I guess it remains to be seen how much favoriting "next out" really matters in the end.

*edit - looks like 5* widow has a feature coming up in August, so that's half a cover I won't have to chase. 

Also I decided to check the Daily Reward schedule. I'm on day 2,364 currently, and there is an Archangel: Classic cover coming up for me at 2,410, so that's half a cover I won't have to chase. I'll probably move my 4* to Nightcrawler next then so he'll be done.
    I don't see any Black Widows coming up there, so she'll be the one I have to get the hard way for sure. 
  • Chirus
    Figured I'd also try logging my progress for one month and see how far I get. Currently have Thor set as my favorite. It probably should be Garg since he's the first one to leave, but I'm impatient for Thor atm, lol.

Anyway here are my current stats before pulls.

4*: 81/127 with 14 champed. Shuri set as my favorite with 6 covers, looking to eventually feed into Okoye.
    5*: 18/72 0 champed, Garg with 6/13, KK with 2/13, Thor with 4/13. Thor set as favorite.

I saved up roughly 20-ish pulls since finishing MK and pulled  1 R, 1B Thor, and 1 of each color for KK. That brings KK up to 5/13, and Thor to 6/13. I don't think I'll finish Garg before he leaves, but I'm kinda okay with that. See everyone in a month!

• ThaRoadWarrior
    I actually forgot I wasn’t finished with this Gargantos featured PVP, so i only need 71 more shards to finish him.
  • dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    I managed to champ Black Bolt and Magneto in the last month. I only have Captain Marvel and Banner that need one cover, Gambit that needs two and Rescue and Havoc that need three covers and the Classics will be done. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Pulled an organic 13th for Gargantos so he is champed. I decided to put my 5* shard on Widow.

current latest:
    Gargantos: 5/3/5 with 468 shards (champed)
    Kamala: 3/4/2 with 1250 shards
    Jane Foster: 1/1/2 with 440 shards

NEW:
    Chasm 0/0/0 with 250 shards

Favs: 
    5* Widow: 4/2/2 with 150 shards
    Jubilee: 351 w/ 334 shards
    3* - still rechamping
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I realized I had Kamala at 4/4/4 from shards today, and had about 17 LTs saved up since I've been burning my CP in classic waiting for Gargantos to rotate out. So I burned through about 12 to see If I'd get her. I got a pair of blue Jane Fosters and the last Kamala I needed, so KK is now champed. Also got a 371st Medusa, so one more dupe on the pile, one slot closer to 300 (currently using 268 slots)

Current Latest:
    Gargantos: lvl 451 with 268 shards
    Kamala: lvl 450 with 75 shards
    Jane Foster: 1/3/2 with 440 shards

NEW: Chasm 0/0/0 with 375 shards

Favorites:
    Jubilee: lvl 358 (2 covers from finishing Phoenix)
    Black Widow: 4/2/3 with 164 shards
    3* still rechamping

• ThaRoadWarrior
    I noticed Phoenix is the PVE feature next event, so I moved my 4* shard from Jubilee to Nightcrawler who is 352. 6 more levels and Archangel will be 4/4/4, and I have a cover coming in daily rewards sometime in the next 5-6 weeks.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited August 2022
    Pulled an organic Doc Ock from classic so he is 3/4/5 now. 8 more carnages on him. The vintage roster is just about closed up.
  • rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,276 Chairperson of the Boards
    I seem to be at the exact same point as you (@ThaRoadWarrior) on my 5* progression (even down to the horribly covered 5* Black Widow and duping of BWIW to finish her).  

I am down to five Unchamped 5* Classics
    Sersei: 5/3/3 with 34 shards.  No feeder.  Currently my 5* target
    Odin: 4/3/5 with 285 shards. No feeder.  All he needs is a featured event or a feeder.  
    Ronan: 3/5/3 with 10 shards.  No feeder
    Havok: 2/3/4 with 179 shards.  No feeder
    Black Widow: 3/4/4 with 310 shards.  BWIW at 350 and currently my 4* target.   Not sure if I go for dupe, or not.  But I don't have any other 4* I need to target since all my others don't have a feeder, so I guess I'll leave BWIW my target for now.  My 3* target is GSBW

For Latest:
    Gargantos: Champed 452
    Kamala Khan: 1/0/2 with 1040 shards
    Thor: 1/1/0 with 540 shards

Chasm: 365 shards, no covers

With Gargs champed, I am waiting to pull on latest.  And with the 2 covers from alliance events at least for the last 3, I want to get one unhoard done on LL before I try to dip into classics.  If I manage to have enough pulls once Chasm enters to champ KK/Thor/Chasm without much issue, then I know I can start doing essentially what you're doing and pull some classic to see if I can't finish up some of my final 5.  
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Yeah it’s a weird feeling to be nearly done. I kind of made it a point to not let anybody sit in Classic who I missed out on if they were unfed, so I left my 5* shard on those always.

my current remaining vintage 5s are:

Jean Grey: (will be done by Monday)
    Archangel: 3/4/4 with 260 shards and a daily reward next month
    doc Ock: 3/4/5 with Carnage 8 covers away
    bSSM: 4/3/4 with 250 shards and iron spider at 325
    black widow: 4/2/3 with 179 shards, N4tasha at 338
  • Zalasta
    Zalasta Posts: 264 Mover and Shaker
    Congratulations to both of you for being so close. It's a long journey. 

I'll be able to close out a couple of classics soon, but the remaining 23 classics have far fewer covers and will take longer. Maybe the new developers will make some changes to help expedite covering of classic characters.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited August 2022
    Thanks! Yeah I'm on day 2386, so you know, stay in school and don't do drugs, and one day you too could have a roster like this lol.
  • rainkingucd
    Thanks! Yeah I'm on day 2386, so you know, stay in school and don't do drugs, and one day you too could have a roster like this lol.
    ha, well put.  Day 3111 here.  My first champed 5*?  Gambit.   I ran him with America Chavez just to take advantage of the match damage with the critical tiles
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 968 Critical Contributor
    Yeah it’s a weird feeling to be nearly done. I kind of made it a point to not let anybody sit in Classic who I missed out on if they were unfed, so I left my 5* shard on those always.

BSSM should be the PVE 5E in November, or so. Plan accordingly.
    None of your remaining Classics will be the 5E (other then Jean Grey next week, of course).
  • rainkingucd

None of your remaining Classics will be the 5E (other then Jean Grey next week, of course).
    When do you reckon Odin is due?
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 968 Critical Contributor

When do you reckon Odin is due?
    I'd say sometime around next July.
    Unless he gets chosen as one of the random stand-ins for a New 5* release.

I use this thread as my 5E guide:
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/83560/new-classic-legends-essential-order-in-pve#latest