**** Karolina Dean (Runaways) ****

Options

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

The way the power sets seems to focus on interacting with special tiles and healing reminds of Nico, and with the first power mentioning something about a "Team Type", I couldn't help but think of the Runaways. Runaways Final season starts today, and we've gotten more than enough X-Men recently to keep us occupied for a while. Can't think of any other Team Types that would be relevant at the moment.

That brings me to your comment on flying and protecting people, which from the Runaways lineup would lead me to guess Karolina Dean. This power sets seems like it would work in an interesting way with Nico's, and Karolina's feelings for Nico are anything but a secret. 

That said though, I can't make it align with the "Cheese & Onions" clue for the life of me. 
    Is the new, final season of runaways starting right now?   Otherwise I think a second runaway is quite unlikely.
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 581 Critical Contributor
    Options
    purplemur said:
    I don't know why but Polaris keeps getting stuck in my brain....
    But maybe Adam Warlock? Could he have the GotG tag? the mirror/mirror Grocket?
    If it's a villain could it be The Beetle?
    IceIX said:
    "Cheese & Onions"

4-Star Rarity (Legendary)
    Heroes, *Team Type*
    yellowtilepng bluetilepng greentilepng

I doubt it's a villain...

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:

The way the power sets seems to focus on interacting with special tiles and healing reminds of Nico, and with the first power mentioning something about a "Team Type", I couldn't help but think of the Runaways. Runaways Final season starts today, and we've gotten more than enough X-Men recently to keep us occupied for a while. Can't think of any other Team Types that would be relevant at the moment.

That brings me to your comment on flying and protecting people, which from the Runaways lineup would lead me to guess Karolina Dean. This power sets seems like it would work in an interesting way with Nico's, and Karolina's feelings for Nico are anything but a secret. 

That said though, I can't make it align with the "Cheese & Onions" clue for the life of me. 
    Is the new, final season of runaways starting right now?   Otherwise I think a second runaway is quite unlikely.
    I think all of season 3 literally dropped today. Or maybe yesterday. If they want to release another Runaway to cross-promote with the show, it's now or never.
  • heybub
    heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    4*IM Hero, airborn, armor =protects, man and machine

BTW, y'all, this will make 89 4*s....ummmm oversaturation?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    Options
    heybub said

BTW, y'all, this will make 89 4*s....ummmm oversaturation?
    Yes.  I have been pointing out since we had 70-odd 4*s that additional growth in the tier was pointless.  New characters were either totally broken, and therefore relevant (e.g., bishop/worthy), or utterly superfluous (i.e., how many of us even remember how ronin's or black cat's powers work off the top of our heads? And they were even decent characters, unlike Talos or Mysterio).

4* growth is just a waste vets' time/money, and makes dilution/early roster construction even worse for new players.  It's getting to the point of being actively detrimental to the game.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The increment of ally's healing amount could be irritating in 3* land with Wolverine and Daken.

Medusa, Carnage and ??? could be irritating too.

??? might match well with C4rol.

But with the team type, it could flip who is more compatible.

???'s powersets do remind me of Beast's.
  • liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 461 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Limited edition Frog Thor due to his power set sort of being a 4 star version of Beta Ray Bill?

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Simon_Walterson_(Earth-616)
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Anon said:
    Cheesey jokes make you laugh and onions make you cry. I'm assuming this character will have emotional issues or a mental illness?

Powers don't sound like him but I'm going to guess Legion.

Edit: This guy with Bl4ck Panther is going to be fun. Shame about the overlap though. 
    you laugh because it's a character you want in the game since you started playing. 
    then you cry because he is way below meta and does nothing for your roster. 
  • shinnaruto
    shinnaruto Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Options
    Cheese and Onions is a song from the Beatles parody group: The Rutles;
    The Beatles -> Lucy in the Sky (Karolina Dean) **Runaways** -In the comics she has the power of flight and to create force fields.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just saw in the sneak peek thread that Nico's PvP is running right before the new character's. I'm putting my money on Karolina.
  • heybub
    Options

O said:
    Limited edition Frog Thor due to his power set sort of being a 4 star version of Beta Ray Bill?

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Simon_Walterson_(Earth-616)
    Throg! We should do this everytime there's a new character clue, like we used to do with Dazzler.. let's get Throg in the game.
    Throg deserves 5* status (like M.O.D.O.K and Howard and Spider Ham) - let's not belittle him with 4* ranking...
  • heybub
    Options
    OJSP said:
    Not only cheese and onion a crisp flavour, it's also a pie..

Pie-man confirmed?

Or Pie-Guy..

.... I want Pie Man..

Hmm.. Pie...
    I like it!  And now Disney, owns Marvel (also Star Wars, ABC, ESPN, and essentially all trademarked characters) and recently aquired the Simpsons (through Fox), so this should be doable!

Although, if they haven't done Groo yet, I doubt they'd do Pie Man.
  • MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I just checked, and Nico does have the runaways team affiliation. Has she always had that? Or has it been sneakily added in recently?

If it is the latter, that would be our biggest clue towards it being Karolina 
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I feel like this was stealth, we get all in a hizzy over flavor changes up in here - shirley that would have sparked discussion. are they really gonna try and make Runaways a thing right at the end of MarvelTV? Or is it just an implicit pairing for Nico w/an option for more later? this could dictate a large part of the next couple release cycles, 
    Who should be next then? Fistigons or Old Lace translate better as Supports though.
    Dinosaurs will always get my vote and I wish they would make THAT a thing! Give us Sauron and we can go all dinosaurs*- rawrr!
    I wouldnt mind alex with a dual runaways/villain tag ( I dunno if Hulu is even going that route- no spoilers)but I can’t really think how/why he would translate to MPQ except as maybe a support that debuffs enemy teams some how? As a 3* Talos? really hope they leave it at a duo cuz I think tandem pairings have great utility and are totes easier to name: Kaco? Nicoline?
    Now if they would only give us Power Pack and Franklin(4 1/2) we can have a new Back to School themed PvP for the offseason

edit: totally had nico and kamela confused for a sec
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If we do get any more, I want Molly. With a thing sort of like Deadpool's variable appearance, where she randomly has a different animal hat every time.
  • MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If we do get any more, I want Molly. With a thing sort of like Deadpool's variable appearance, where she randomly has a different animal hat every time.
    How many characters have variable appearances in the game? I know there’s tiny jumping Ant-Man and Feminist Mockingbird as well, but I feel like there are others too.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MrEd95 said:
    How many characters have variable appearances in the game? I know there’s tiny jumping Ant-Man and Feminist Mockingbird as well, but I feel like there are others too.
    3* Deadpool. Eddie Venom.
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2019
    Options
    MrEd95 said:
    I just checked, and Nico does have the runaways team affiliation. Has she always had that? Or has it been sneakily added in recently?

If it is the latter, that would be our biggest clue towards it being Karolina 
    She's had the Runaways affiliation for a long time. Either upon release, or when there was a sweeping update where many characters got some affiliation changes (for the spider-verse people etc.) . 
    I'm thinking upon release, since many were then assuming we'd have another Runaway well before now.
    I agree it sounds like it could be Karolina. 

That said, 4* Beast, or Throg are also interesting guesses. 

If this character is designed to be paired with Nico, there's a definite conflict upon their similar yellow abilities. I really like Nico's, and it provides quite a big true heal. It costs 7 AP instead of 6 here, but places 4 protect tiles at level 5. 
    I'm thinking this character would be a 3/5/5 anyway, so go with Nico's yellow. Doubt you'll play this character without Green at level 5, and depending on the numbers, the blue is probably much more beneficial at level 5 than the yellow would be.

Question though, the blue CD must count down (and produce the protects) while airborne right? It must, similar to Spider-Ham's blue? 

So, save green for when they land from being airborne, to get the benefit of the converted strikes to add to that AoE damage. 

Separately, sounds like fun with Magik. Cheap abilities to earn free protects from Majik, easily flip them to Strikes.
    Might be decent with 4* Wasp, you could plan a mix of protects and strikes that you flip back and forth with Janet's yellow.
    Obviously good with Medusa, as long as you have a bigger damage dealer along as well.

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If it really is Karolina, and she has a power that depends on the number of Runaways affiliated team mates, it would seem a bit limiting to only have one potential ally.  That might indicate that more Runaways are to come.
    Nico and the new character share active powers on two colours though, which is not great synergy though. You might decide to use Nico's yellow over the new character's though: for 1 AP extra, Nico would get additional healing at the expense of the number of protect tiles created. Either way, the ability to flip the protect tiles to strike tiles relatively cheaply is a plus.
    It'll be interesting to see how much blue AP this character's blue active generates at five covers.  This could almost offer Vulture levels of survivability, although there are obviously more options to ground the character: overwrite/match the countdown, use Venom to create weak enemy protect tiles, etc.