***** Storm (Ororo Munroe) *****

Comments

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    y4747 said:
    Brigby
    question regarding Aurora Totalis - do cascades happen after the colors change but before tiles are charged? because if so, it's likely to leave a few islands of that charged color, which is good for her black (since they will be difficult to match away), but bad for ap generation.
    Charged Tiles are created after cascades occur.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    5/3/5
    Quake's blue destroys 8 tiles (including non-basics) for 7ap. There's no reason why Storm's green should cost 10ap, especially in a strong color like green. @Brigby Please ask them to consider lowering the cost of green.
  • Palookaville
    Palookaville Posts: 83 Match Maker
    5/3/5
    I'm just not feeling it.

Board control is nice, but the AI can't use it, so she will be useless on defense.
  • Gold_Dragon
    Gold_Dragon Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    5/3/5
    Yeah. Too bad she’s not overpowered so we have something else to complain about and hope gets nerfed.

right, guys?
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Thanos said:
    Quake's blue destroys 8 tiles (including non-basics) for 7ap. There's no reason why Storm's green should cost 10ap, especially in a strong color like green. @Brigby Please ask them to consider lowering the cost of green.
    This 100%
  • AndiTi
    AndiTi Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Brigby said
    Isay_Isay said:
    Does the specific mention of “max of X damage per enemy” as opposed to “max of 8 tiles” imply that the damage ignores boosts from strike tiles or Okoye?
    That's max base damage per enemy. The damage can still be increased from Strike Tiles or Okoye's Passive.

For example, a 5/5/3 Storm with 4 Charged Tiles on the board and a 5/5/3 Okoye with 30 Team-Up AP gathered  caused Storm's Gathering Clouds ability to deal 50,023 damage to the entire enemy team.
    Just for additional clarification. damage boosts from Okoye or strikes apply to the overall damage total rather than apply to the base damage for each charged tile destroyed? This would be a significant difference. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanos said:
    This 100%
    Hey! I mentuoned this in my first post.  I want credit too!

Even a dump 5* power should probably not have an obviously superior 4* analogue.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,244 Chairperson of the Boards
    I dunno.  I feel like there is a lot of "phoning it in" going on right now.  Sabretooth is a great 4* but as a 5* I don't care.  So please give me a 5* I care about.  This isn't it.  IMHO.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Storm Thoughts:
    Black: Very Good.  A potentially excellent damage skill thanks to the passive.  What makes this skill tricky is the balance between trying to gather black AP while also keeping charged tiles on the board.   I suspect on its own this skill will probably fire with 4 or 5 charged tiles on the board so long as you don't rush to fire it off ASAP.   Combined with yellow upfront this probably increases to about 7 charged tiles depending on how many get matched away from the skill itself. 

Green: Poor.  This skill has major issues.  No damage (outside of the destroyed tiles) and a cost that's far too high for the benefit in my opinion. I'd have reduced the cost to 6AP.

Yellow: Good. This strikes me as a solid AP generator and a reasonable cost at that.  The synergy with black is fun but just getting rid of TU's on the board and controlling which color they become is a nice setup for whatever else your team is planning. 

Overall:  5/3/5 build.  I have to be honest I really have no idea of what Storm's power level will be.  The safe bet is to say she's a single damage skill character and so at best she's probably lower-mid tier along the likes of Doom and newer Cap.   A fun character but no impact on the meta.    That's where I stand officially.   However, if Storm comes out and proves that her synergy with Bolt or anyone else is all we need to really elevate her in either PvP or PvE then I won't be shocked.   I think her potential lies more with a trio team than a true PvP duo though.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    AndiTi said:
    Brigby said
    Isay_Isay said:
    Does the specific mention of “max of X damage per enemy” as opposed to “max of 8 tiles” imply that the damage ignores boosts from strike tiles or Okoye?
    That's max base damage per enemy. The damage can still be increased from Strike Tiles or Okoye's Passive.

For example, a 5/5/3 Storm with 4 Charged Tiles on the board and a 5/5/3 Okoye with 30 Team-Up AP gathered  caused Storm's Gathering Clouds ability to deal 50,023 damage to the entire enemy team.
    Just for additional clarification. damage boosts from Okoye or strikes apply to the overall damage total rather than apply to the base damage for each charged tile destroyed? This would be a significant difference. 
    Yes, the former is correct. It amplifies the overall damage total, as opposed to each Charged Tile destroyed.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,499 Chairperson of the Boards
    Doesn't look like she changes the meta, or works as a counter to a current meta, but she does look really fun. Maybe a Hawkeye-ish type 5*?  Very usable, but not necessarily when you're competing. 
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/3/5
    A good Gambit partner to use besides Black Bolt. Storm charges black tiles for Gambit to hit with his red, generating the black for Ororo to use her AOE. Throw Cable in for a blue dump (hopefully with charged tiles made) and a superior green as a finisher. I’m fine waiting for Ororo to enter LTs to finish Hela (hopefully, since her 5/3/1 could be a tough finish).
  • Gold_Dragon
    Gold_Dragon Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    5/3/5
    Some people want her green at 6ap or 7ap.....

do you like watching the world burn or what? You put that out there with Thorkoye or BB/Okoye and you’ll be crying just like the people crying about gritty.
  • pfarewell
    pfarewell Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Increased dilution delivered at an increased rate. Also a missed opportunity to buff Phoenix. 
  • 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    5/3/5
    She’s won’t be fast enough to shield hop and be a factor in the meta, but she’ll be great on defense with Black Bolt. Worse than JJ.  You’ll be eating BB’s passive every turn. And with her making black charged tiles, how long will it take her to get to 9ap? At base with BB the aoe does almost 8k. Realistically it will usually hit for more like 12k. Kill her first, and you probably take BB’s passive several more times. Kill him first, she hits that aoe most matches, if she hasn’t already. Obviously it’s a beatable team, but you’re gonna bleed.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanos said:
    At 5 covers it can destroy all tiles of that color, probably why the cost is 10 AP.
  • Vhailorx
    edited June 2019
    sinnerjfl said:
    Thanos said:
    At 5 covers it can destroy all tiles of that color, probably why the cost is 10 AP.
    That's a bad trade off for us players.

And babinro: I agree with your assessment of 5torm entirely.  But I still think you are a little too low on GED.  He is upper middle tier to me.  Almost as good as JJ and DD.
  • Vhailorx
    Some people want her green at 6ap or 7ap.....

do you like watching the world burn or what? You put that out there with Thorkoye or BB/Okoye and you’ll be crying just like the people crying about gritty.
    Nah.  Even with storm I don't think BB will really threaten thorkoye or gritty teams.  Eating his passive damage a few turns is no problem with okoye to heal.  And gritty already eats healthpacks, but does so much damage that it's rarely a problem.  so 5torm BB should be fun, but hardly a meta threat

And at 6ap, her green is decent boardshake, but it does no direct damage, so okoye can't boost it.  And using green for anything but Thor's aoe with thorkoye is not usually worth it.  Gotta triple dip on okoye! The exception is something like hela's green, which is cheaper and still does multi-procs.

• crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    For those in the 4* game, Lockjaw would punish her pretty badly as long as black remains the team's strongest color.
  • First21
    First21 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Will Okoye’s wakanda forever buffs her black power? If so she could be like thorkoye.