***** Storm (Ororo Munroe) *****

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited June 2019 in Character Details
Hi Everyone,

"Storm once used a massive cyclone to launch hundreds of her enemies into space.

Today, you can find her at the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning, where she remains a teacher and mentor to many grateful students."

Check out the brand new 5-Star Storm, and find out how you can recruit her onto your roster!
2019-05-23-Storm-OM-NC-FB-V4png
5-Star Rarity (Epic)
Heroes, X-Men
blacktilepng greentilepng yellowtilepng

(Abilities listed at level 450)
51,735 Health
blacktilepng 720 | greentilepng 640 | yellowtilepng 560 |  356 |  92 | bluetilepng 85 | purpletilepng 78 |  4.0x

Gathering Clouds -  9 blacktilepng AP
Storm builds up an atmospheric charge and rains lightning upon her enemies. Destroys all Charged tiles on the board, dealing 1353 damage to the enemy team for each (up to a max of 10820 damage per enemy). (Tiles destroyed this way do not deal damage or generate AP.)

(PASSIVE) At the start of the turn, converts 1 Black basic tile into a Black Charged tile.
  • Level 2: ...dealing 1509 damage to the enemy team...(up to a max of 12065 damage per enemy)
  • Level 3: ...dealing 1664 damage to the enemy team...(up to a max of 13309 damage per enemy)
  • Level 4: ...dealing 1976 damage to the enemy team...(up to a max of 15799 damage per enemy)
  • Level 5: ...dealing 2598 damage to the enemy team...(up to a max of 20777 damage per enemy)
Ice Storm - 10 greentilepng AP
Hailstones pelt the battlefield, leaving icy craters. Choose a colored tile and destroy 4 tiles of that color. (Tiles destroyed this way do not generate AP.)
  • Level 2: Choose a colored tile and destroy 5 tiles of that color.
  • Level 3: Choose a colored tile and destroy 6 tiles of that color.
  • Level 4: Choose a colored tile and destroy 7 tiles of that color.
  • Level 5: Choose a colored tile and destroy all tiles of that color.
Aurora Totalis - 9 yellowtilepng AP
Storm distorts the Earth's magnetic field, covering the planet in a wash of light and color. Choose a colored tile and convert 5 Team-Up tiles into basic tiles of that color.
  • Level 2: ...into basic tiles of that color, then convert 1 basic tile of that color into a Charged tile.
  • Level 3: Choose a colored tile and convert 6 Team-Up tiles...
  • Level 4: ...then convert 2 basic tiles of that color into Charged tiles.
  • Level 5: ...then convert 3 basic tiles of that color into Charged tiles.
Character Release Details

Recruit Storm!

Forces of Nature - Special Legendary Store
  • Starts: 6/6/19, 12:00pm ET
  • Ends: 6/11/19, 12:00am ET
  • 15% chance to get Storm (Ororo Munroe), Jean Grey (Phoenix), Kitty Pryde (Uncanny X-Men)
  • Additional Tokens can be purchased for 25 Command Points
Ororo Munroe - Special Limited Vault
  • Ends: 6/11/19, 12:00am ET
  • 40 Items: 
    • 1x Forces of Nature Legendary Token
    • 1x Wolverine (X-Force) Yellow Cover
    • 3x Random 3-Star Covers
    • 6x Heroic Tokens
    • 4x 2,500 Iso-8
    • 6x 1,000 Iso-8
    • 5x 500 Iso-8
    • 14x 2-Star Covers

Event Schedule

Galactus Hungers - Alliance Event
  • Ends: 6/10/19, 12:00am ET
  • Rewards Tokens to the Forces of Nature Legendary cover store

***** Storm (Ororo Munroe) ***** 54 votes

5/5/3
27%
Yasurugrunth13LoosieTrerasPongieDyingLegendpezsePtahhotepABaker84NotBAMFR3N3G4DETheWhiteWidowMrEd95ManoPASaltyK 15 votes
5/4/4
1%
WEBGAS 1 vote
5/3/5
66%
ThanosIsay_IsayPolaresTrilateralusy4747jackstar0rdvargas1optimus2861JSP869CosmicWolfzodiac339KjeldbjergJackDeath666bonny79Mark70M3GooseSNKAllenMirrorKnightInfectiousYawnMonsoon3 36 votes
4/5/4
0%
4/4/5
0%
3/5/5
3%
purplemurskittledaddy 2 votes

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Huh, very fast 5* release.

She seems fine at first glance.  But not meta.  She is a bit squishy for a 5*, but has high-ish match damage.

9ap for 20k aoe is solid.  But it can't be multi-cast.  And she will be slow to generate all the charged tiles she needs (needs multiple turns for her passive, or 9 yellow).  Green is nice, but over priced for the effect (is it appreciably better than quake's blue? It looks like it will destroy all tiles, so slightly higher defensive value, but it also costs 3 AP more.).  Yellow might be a decent AP generator, but I will be surprised if it is good enough to build around.

I see her being a fun/viable third wheel on some teams for sure, and there is some real synergy with a few older 5*s like Gambit, BB, and SS, but I don't think she will displace the top tiers.  So maybe just behind JJ, GED, and DD?

Other thoughts: yay for Kitty in the release store! She also seems better than Carol, so waiting another 3 or 4 weeks seems like a good idea.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/5/3
    Do I dare say she looks pretty good?!!

Yes I'm actually kinda excited for her. New character releases normally don't do anything for me but this ain't half bad. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,215 Chairperson of the Boards
    Should we expect another 5* (probably Mysterio) to release with FFH in 4 weeks?  and so it rolls?  Making it harder and harder to finish 5s?

CM is now officially a 14-weeker.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,691 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looking forward to pairing with Bolt.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    A 5* Storm is long overdue so kudos for that. 

I had intended to skip this release store after my disaster with Pepper but you guys had to go and put Kitty in there didn't ya? *Sigh*, goodbye CP...
  • AndiTi
    AndiTi Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2019
    I'm curious on Ice Storm and it's mechanics in practice:

• Does Ice Storm guaranteed destroy the tile you select (similar to Kamala Khan's purple) and X additional tiles? Or is the selection purely random (in which case you'd have to run @ 5 to guarantee destruction of a particular tile)
    • Since Ice Storm does not specify "basic" tiles, I assume this means any specials of that color are fair game?

There is a LOT of board control potential here, but maximizing black would almost require an additional charged tile producer on the team. Maybe 3/5/5 without one and 5/3/5 with?
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    9 AP for 20K on the enemy team is a keeper, so that's at 5.  Even if you can't multi cast it, it's still darned impressive, and the board shake will certainly do more damage.  (Gambit has a new buddy!)

Ice Storm is a targeted Surgical Strike, which is nice.  I'd put that one at 4, since it's unlikely (barring a tile color changer on the other side) that you'd get a lot more than 7 of them on the board at once.  If this also hits charged tiles, it would nullify some of the damage from her black, so maybe 3 would be better for it?

Storm's Yellow could be fun with Okoye's yellow.  Keep casting them back and forth, choosing to turn team ups to yellow, and then casting Okoye's to turn other tiles to team ups.  This one is probably a 4 as well.  (Will her match damage for black/yellow make her tank for Okoye?  That could be a problem.)

I'd put her at either 5/4/4 or 5/3/5, depending on who she's teamed up with.  Interesting new character...

• BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    I couldn't care less to finish my 5/2/4 Phoenix (Jubilee would have got around to it in like a year lol), but I need more Kitty covers like yesterday. So be it. 

Storm should make a pretty fun partner for Gambit or Black Bolt, but that's wayyyy down the line - I don't see her making any kind of immediate impact. Nevertheless, Storm is one of those characters I felt definitely needed the 5-star treatment. Glad Doom finally got it, unfortunately this was probably Magneto's last shot for a while. 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,691 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Brigby is there a reason why they are speeding up 5* releases?  Will this be the new norm? 
    Probably more likely to get a straight answer with a question on Dark Matter or String Theory.
  • 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2019
    5/3/5
    Yeah, she’ll be a problem with Black Bolt, even with shared colors. Lots of healthpacks surely. And a team with her and Gambit will do plenty of damage too. Solid entry here.
  • Isay_Isay
    Isay_Isay Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    5/3/5
    Does the specific mention of “max of X damage per enemy” as opposed to “max of 8 tiles” imply that the damage ignores boosts from strike tiles or Okoye?
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    Isay_Isay said:
    Does the specific mention of “max of X damage per enemy” as opposed to “max of 8 tiles” imply that the damage ignores boosts from strike tiles or Okoye?
    Seems like a damage cap in place because of okoye to me...
  • Vhailorx
    edited June 2019
    Isay_Isay said:
    Seems like a damage cap in place because of okoye to me...
    I would be surprised and disappointed if this affected okoye at all.  one character's power should not stealth nerf anothet one. I think it is just to clarify the cap relative to aoe damage.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Looking good. I like.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony_Foot said:
    @Brigby is there a reason why they are speeding up 5* releases?  Will this be the new norm? 
    Probably more likely to get a straight answer with a question on Dark Matter or String Theory.
    Well since Big Bang Theory is over now, I guess I am totally up the creek now with no answers.  I don’t expect this to be answered but I will still ask the question because it is relevant. 
  • Vhailorx
    edited June 2019
    Tony_Foot said:
    Well since Big Bang Theory is over now, I guess I am totally up the creek now with no answers.  I don’t expect this to be answered but I will still ask the question because it is relevant. 
    Big Bang Theory offered no answers even when it was on the air.  That show was pure trash. 

/Off topic rant

Back on topic, is aurora an early cross-promotion for dark Phoenix, or are we entering a new era of fast 5* releases (and a likely 6* or equivalent, new end game tier in the near future)? Let's speculate wildly!
  • y4747
    y4747 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    5/3/5
    @Brigby
    question regarding Aurora Totalis - do cascades happen after the colors change but before tiles are charged? because if so, it's likely to leave a few islands of that charged color, which is good for her black (since they will be difficult to match away), but bad for ap generation.
  • Gold_Dragon
    Gold_Dragon Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    5/3/5
    Immediately better than the last 2 releases, looking at the power set. I can already see her on a bunch of teams. 

Gambit/Storm/BB being the most obvious. 

Storm/BB/Okoye - imagine the damage you tack into that AOE. Kill them slow with BB+Okoye+Storm passive or fast with that AOE +Okoye passive. 

Storm Okoye+Loki - Storm green destroys 6+ tiles of any color. It doesn’t say if it’s a CD or repeater or charged or special tile in any way. So you destroy Loki’s CDs...... and up pops a bunch more of black CDs. Or you use it to get rid of all the blue since that’s the only color that’s not active with this team. 

Storm + Cable + Thor - only purple is inactive. Cable’s blue causes a stun and creates 4 green charged tiles. Tack those onto Storm’s Black power.