To Devs - Marvel puzzle quest or Marvel vs. kitty ?

Options

Comments

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    KGB said:
    tiomono said:
    abmoraz said:
    Time to nerf kitty , if you have a roster with 3 champed 5*s then most pvp fights are Gritty after the first few wins 

it’s not too bad if you have kitty with 10-13 covers but if not then you have to get lucky 

they nerfed oml then gambit so surely it’s only a matter of time before they nerf her

if they don’t pvp will continue to be boring and a big grind if you want to score over 500 points 

Kitty isn't the issue.  Grocket is.  The quickest fix is to change his passive to be "At the start of his turn, if one doesn't exist, add a sword tile with strength X to the board for each member of the GotG on his team." (Where X is the total of his multiple strike tiles today divided by 3).

This way, he still gets the damage boost.  It stays if they get removed (showing he's always tinkering), and it rewards the team synergy more and reduces the absolute insanity of the power.
    This right here. Nobody thinks kitty on her own is scary. Its grocket and kitty. No grocket and people will respond to kitty as they did in her release thread. Too slow starting off to even remotely compete with thorkoye.

The only thing making her overbearing is a character that puts 7 strikes on the board for free at game start. Even pairing her with carnage takes till the players 4th turn before she starts boosting anything unless one of your attack tiles gets matched then it's even longer.
    This will murder PvE for 4* players who rely on Grocket for fast clears. PvE is *much* larger in terms of player numbers than PvP. So nerfing Grocket should be a non-starter.

Just adjust Kitty's boost so that she only boosts 5* character created tiles at her normal boost rate and 4* and below tiles at say 1/3 the rate.

KGB
    There are 5* players that rely on grocket for fast clears. Kitty is not the problem. The one consistent trend is grocket.

You could apply the same logic to kitty. That it would murder 5* players who rely on kitty for fast clears. So nerfing kitty should be a non starter.

Only kitty alone is not the problem or that speedy. She only is the terror that she is because of being paired with grocket.

Would you hesitate to attack a team of 3 5*s with kitty on the team? 
  • Palookaville
    Palookaville Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    I can see a couple of ways to help the problem, not a "nerf" as such, more of a redistribution.

(BTW - using random numbers for damage totals, can't remember the exact score)

For Grocket, instead of him putting down 7 tiles at the start of each match (for say a total of 1000 damage each)
    have him put down three tiles (for the same 1000 damage total)

Rocket is not nerfed (his strikes do the same damage) Kitty Can't boost tiles on the first turn (only 3 on the board - unless she has an X-Man withe her)  but once one more is added, you can start the boost (which gives the opponent a fighting chance to remove a strike before a cascade wipes them on the first move). The team is still fast on PvE against drones (they can't match the strikes away) and in PvP the player gets a chance to remove a couple of tiles before any major boost related damage can happen.(explained above)

Or put Kitty's boost power on a repeater of two turns. So the tiles are not boosted every turn, just every other turn (but that would be a small nerf)

I don't hate Kitty, I like her, she has a good move set, but unfortunately she works too well with one of the 200+ characters in the game, so a large percentage of players in PvP use that team to blast through players when shield hopping.

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2019
    Options
    tiomono said:
    I've thought twice about Kitty/OML. Those two can get out of hand real quickly together.

(edit: Not that I condone a kitty nerf. Just sayin' - Kitty ain't the creampuff everyone says she is without Grocket.)
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tiomono said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    tiomono said:
    abmoraz said:
    Time to nerf kitty , if you have a roster with 3 champed 5*s then most pvp fights are Gritty after the first few wins 

it’s not too bad if you have kitty with 10-13 covers but if not then you have to get lucky 

they nerfed oml then gambit so surely it’s only a matter of time before they nerf her

if they don’t pvp will continue to be boring and a big grind if you want to score over 500 points 

Kitty isn't the issue.  Grocket is.  The quickest fix is to change his passive to be "At the start of his turn, if one doesn't exist, add a sword tile with strength X to the board for each member of the GotG on his team." (Where X is the total of his multiple strike tiles today divided by 3).

This way, he still gets the damage boost.  It stays if they get removed (showing he's always tinkering), and it rewards the team synergy more and reduces the absolute insanity of the power.
    This right here. Nobody thinks kitty on her own is scary. Its grocket and kitty. No grocket and people will respond to kitty as they did in her release thread. Too slow starting off to even remotely compete with thorkoye.

The only thing making her overbearing is a character that puts 7 strikes on the board for free at game start. Even pairing her with carnage takes till the players 4th turn before she starts boosting anything unless one of your attack tiles gets matched then it's even longer.
    I remember former player Jarvind describing R4G as the first ever 4.5 star when he was released. So true
    But he is extremely meh without those strikes. That's his one good power. And it is silly strong with kitty, nico, thanos, etc, etc.
    Agreed. One trick pony and a mediocre 4* without the strikes. We all still want him levelled pretty high because he has the best passive there is - instant free match damage from turn one. We HAVE to match 3 no matter what, right? R4G makes it count from turn 1.
  • tiomono
    Options
    I can see a couple of ways to help the problem, not a "nerf" as such, more of a redistribution.

(BTW - using random numbers for damage totals, can't remember the exact score)

For Grocket, instead of him putting down 7 tiles at the start of each match (for say a total of 1000 damage each)
    have him put down three tiles (for the same 1000 damage total)

Rocket is not nerfed (his strikes do the same damage)

That would still be a nerf to grocket. Puts much more value in a single title. You lose 1 out of 3 and he takes a big hit in usefullness.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've never seen a kitty over 400.
    don't go to 5* land. 
  • tiomono
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    tiomono said:
    I've thought twice about Kitty/OML. Those two can get out of hand real quickly together.

(edit: Not that I condone a kitty nerf. Just sayin' - Kitty ain't the creampuff everyone says she is without Grocket.)
    Not a cream puff no. But even with oml it requires kitty to fire yellow or oml to fire black before the buffs come online.

I honestly feel her purple does not get enough attention. It's amazing at keeping special tile creators under pressure.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,955 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2019
    Options
    tiomono said:
    KGB said:
    tiomono said:

This will murder PvE for 4* players who rely on Grocket for fast clears. PvE is *much* larger in terms of player numbers than PvP. So nerfing Grocket should be a non-starter.

Just adjust Kitty's boost so that she only boosts 5* character created tiles at her normal boost rate and 4* and below tiles at say 1/3 the rate.

KGB
    There are 5* players that rely on grocket for fast clears. Kitty is not the problem. The one consistent trend is grocket.

You could apply the same logic to kitty. That it would murder 5* players who rely on kitty for fast clears. So nerfing kitty should be a non starter.

Only kitty alone is not the problem or that speedy. She only is the terror that she is because of being paired with grocket.

As a 4* player with no character higher than 295, I would not attack a team of 3 5* simply because match damage can wipe my team or force health pack usage. A skip or two will always net a much easier team for me.

5* players relying on Kitty for fast clears are really just relying on Grocket for the fast clears because they aren't using her with anyone else for those fast clears. Hence nerfing Grocket = nerfing fast clears in PvE. But nerfing Kittys boost of 4* or under specials won't adversely affect anywhere near the number of players or the PvE speed.

I suspect the reason Grocket isn't nerfed in PvP is because so many PvE players would be adversely affected by it. 

KGB
  • tiomono
    Options
    KGB said:
    tiomono said:
    KGB said:
    tiomono said:

KGB

As a 4* player with no character higher than 295, I would not attack a team of 3 5* simply because match damage can wipe my team or force health pack usage. A skip or two will always net a much easier team for me.

5* players relying on Kitty for fast clears are really just relying on Grocket for the fast clears because they aren't using her with anyone else for those fast clears. Hence nerfing Grocket = nerfing fast clears in PvE. But nerfing Kittys boost of 4* or under specials won't adversely affect anywhere near the number of players or the PvE speed.

I suspect the reason Grocket isn't nerfed in PvP is because so many PvE players would be adversely affected by it. 

KGB
    I have 6 5* champs. I will hit any team. But I will bring anybody I want if they don't have gritty. Just kitty and 2 5*'s I will bring whoever out of my 5*'s that have enough health to jump in a match.

When I run gritty I consistently get beat by thorkoye. That is my most frequent pair I see beating me. So I assume it must be fairly reliable. 

To me gritty brought another option to the meta. Nerf kitty you are back to thorkoye being far and above any other option in pvp. They are so fast and reliable it's silly. Gritty is a health pack eating monster for both sides.
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Options

Dormammu said:
    tiomono said:

You cut the legs out of Kitty/Grocket, the meta will just move to Kitty/Carnage/Medusa. There's always another tile spammer she'll pair with. I'm not endorsing a nerf, either. She's too good of a helper on QoL in PVE by speeding up that grind.
  • moss04
    moss04 Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    Options

Dormammu said:
    tiomono said:

You cut the legs out of Kitty/Grocket, the meta will just move to Kitty/Carnage/Medusa. There's always another tile spammer she'll pair with. I'm not endorsing a nerf, either. She's too good of a helper on QoL in PVE by speeding up that grind.
    I've faced that team and it's miles and miles easier to beat.  Strike tiles are much better than attack tiles, they always have been.  The way most lose to a gritty team (at least one without a bishop) is you get a board that you can't clear the strikes from and then on turn 4 or 5 the gritty team gets a cascade and deals 40k damage at once to your front hero.  The strike tiles add damage to every match and they add damage to attacks tiles and they add damage to powers.  Attack tiles just deal their damage once and that's it.  Once you add in the fact that grocket drops his tiles at the start and carnage takes a few turns before kitty can start boosting and you get that much more chance to kill her off before they get too strong.  If that were the backup team people moved onto it would be infinitely better because I'm sure it would still be quite offensively strong but would far less ridiculous on defense.
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Prowler and Carnage, C4P Marvel and Valkyrie, W4sp and Ant-Man.... Take your pick. Anyone who generates tiles in quick succession is going to replace Grocket if the nerf hammer comes down on him. People have outlined ways in fighting Kitty and her weaknesses without tiles. The near incessant whining of the need for a nerf on a character who is far weaker than Gambit ever was, just because she has the off-chance of disrupting the Thor Okoye meta from steamrolling all the way to the top is becoming tiresome. The OP has made it clear in his posts over the past few months he has a hard on for seeing Kitty nerfed.
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 769 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Have thought about it and I agree with a few posts about kitty on her own is very beatable. 

so I changed my mind on the nerf. Maybe an overhaul of Grocket but it would need to be done carefully as without the strike tiles he’s not that great 

I actually tried using black suit spidey and it was not too bad so I’ll try and champ him when I can as I only have 12 covers for him 

• NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Zeofar said:

A bunch of words

I'm not inherently disagreeing with anything you say, and you make several fine points. I'm not as dedicated to huge posts, personally, but I totally respect your effort and opinions.

That said, my stance is a couple of issues:

1) As others have noted, Grocket/Gritty both have several counters. They may not be the counters people WANT to use because they would rather keep mindlessly steamrolling with Thorkoye or whatever their regular team is, but if you change up your team between matches, Grocket isn't that much of an issue. He is a defining character who impacts how you play against him, but he's not unbeatable or unbalanced. He does one thing ridiculously well. JRYUART said it best up there... people can beat Grocket, they just don't seem to want to use the health packs to do so.

2) I submit Bishop is a bigger issue that Grocket or Kitty. I don't ever mind taking on Gritty teams in PVP because they are challenging but beatable. Honestly, I think they are fun to play against... unless they are matched with Bishop. Then I hit the Skip button in fear.

3) This is the biggest one for me, and I say this a lot lately: Gritty makes PVE tolerable for me (and probably many other 4* players). And it's probably the ONLY thing that enables 4* players to even have a prayer at placement rewards against 5* players. If Grocket is nerfed, the 4* players are going to be back to having no way whatsoever to compete speed-wise against 5* players for placement. Nerfing Grocket (and/or Kitty) cripples lower-end players in PVE.

For transparency's sake, I don't play for placement in PVE. I hit max progression and bail. But that said? If Grocket gets nerfed? I'll honestly probably stop playing MPQ. PVE is insufferably tedious and repetitive, and the auto-pilot feature of Gritty is the only thing that keeps it playable to me where I am in the game. I'm not trying to martyr myself and claim there would be a mass exodus, and I can only speak for myself. But I really despise PVE, and if I had to do it without Grocket… I just wouldn't. That's just me speaking for myself.

• jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2019
    Options
    @Zeofar that’s a well thought out post which I can respect. You presented a few opinions as facts there which I don’t agree with, but as a whole we all have to understand other’s opinions come from a place of good intent (for the most part, hopefully). 

I think you are wrong about the car analogy for instance. I don’t care what philosophical designs the game is supposedly based on, what I care about is when I’m sold one thing and then it is taken away from me by means of complaints from others. I am sold a (insert luxury car here) which makes my commute both more enjoyable and shaves some time off too. Great! Queue the complaining from a group of people that feel the car is too nice to exist because it invalidates all their preconceived notions of what a car should be and isn’t just a different color (insert completely generic commuter car here). Now all the time, money, sacrifices to my roster, etc... that have been made are in jeopardy because everyone should have equal privilege despite their choices or economic contributions. Sorry, can’t get behind that. 

I would agree that not everyone who wants nerfs is because of envy or sour grapes. I’m quite sure some of them have Kitty, possibly even champed like yourself. I would wager good money that a large percent of them also
    have another meta to fall back on though. Nobody wants to **** their own roster to near trash tier (yes Kitty is quite bad without Rocket, tell me an instance where this isn’t true if you want to prove me wrong). If you have Thorkoye or Panthos or DD and a number of different teammates you probably don’t worry much about one of your options getting burnt to a crisp. If you have just cracked the tier and Kitty is your only Meta that improves your QOL and shaves hours (not minutes) from your grind, you probably want to hold on to her and Rocket. You did earn them fairly, why shouldn’t you enjoy that advantage?

It matters if they could be beat or not because this is the only metric that should be considered when getting ready to strip someone’s roster. Gambit could not be beat without Gambit. He was so utterly broken that it was nearly unanimous he needed fixing. As demonstrated on the forums many times, this isn’t the case with Rocket or Kitty. There isn’t good cause to devalue someone’s hard earned or very expensive roster. That matters, whether you want it to or not.

With all of that said. We all want different things from the game. From your perspective I see your point. From mine it makes little sense. I’m sure that feeling is mutual. The important thing is that they both get voiced so we have a balanced discussion for consideration instead of an angry hoard chanting “Nerf!”.

The MCU isn’t perfectly balanced and in my opinion, neither should the game based on characters within it be perfectly balanced. If anything we should have more awesome characters, not less. We should also have a better means of making meaningful progress on the characters we love. This would give more people access to someone like BSSM which fixes the PVP issue pretty effectively.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well I'm biased because I don't have a working Gritty but can't we just lock Rocket & Groot out of PvP? :wink:
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,955 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I disagree with pretty much everything Zeofar wrote.

It's absolutely clear that the problem in Gritty is Kitty's passive. I'll say that because:
    1) The Buff train is uncapped (ie happens every turn forever rather than say max buffing tiles by 200 or 300% regardless of turns required to get there) so tiles can go to infinity esp in wave nodes.
    2) The Buff is an absolute number (which is *very* high near and above champ level) rather than a percentage (say 33% increase per turn which would ramp the tiles up much more slowly on 4* and below characters)
    3) Lastly, and most importantly, lets say I offered a massive Grocket nerf of 90% reduction on his tile strength (7 strength 13 or 28) at L270. This would nerf Grocket into oblivion like Sentry was. But would it fix the Gritty problem? No, because the Buff train is still improving 5 of them by 653 (3000+) a turn at champ levels. It would just delay things by 1 turn.

Look, Kitty Buff is the problem. It's uncapped and increases by X amount instead of a percentage so that it turns even weak tiles by lower tier characters into killers.

As far a PvE goes, I'm with NotBAMF. Removing Grocket would make PvE intolerable because the Devs are not going to reduce the clears. My clear time (4 clears) went from over an hour before Grocket to 30 minutes or less with him (that's using GrockMorDusa since I don't have a functional Kitty yet). So we are not talking about saving 10 minutes a day, we are talking an hour or more saved a day when considering 6 or 7 clears. That's significant time.

And all for what? 4* players like me (<L300 characters) just skip Gritty teams since there is so many others to target. Veteran 5* players (12+ champs with Thorkoye/BSSM) don't find Gritty to be a problem. It's just 5* transition players who only have a few champs and no working Gritty counter at the 5* tier that post endlessly asking for a Nerf (and never to their 5* Kitty who is the problem, always to the tier they are leaving an no longer want to care about). I wonder what % of PvP players Gritty is really a problem for vs the whole of MPQ PvE and PvP players in the 4/5* tiers. I bet it's <5%.

KGB