Cosmic Chaos: Your thoughts on the new PVE

1235»

Comments

• CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2019
    Overall, it's good to have new content, and especially a PVE that's not all goons. We've got Honor Among Thieves up next, wall to wall symbiotes and Mindless Ones... eugh.
    Dialogue was fine. The story was ok even if it was just several variations on "Hello friend, why are you attacking me? Oh, mind control monolith. Bam bam bam, move on, next group... Hello friend!"
    The ending could have used a bit of polish....
    "You may have stopped me, Captain Marvel, but you won't stop my evil plan!"
    "Oh yes I will!"
    "Ah no, you stopped it! Well... that sucks, I guess? Bye!"
    [end]
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,388 Chairperson of the Boards
    For those worried about the points bug on the wave nodes, I played this to progression the way I always would (2x clears of the wave, 4x of everything else), and there were more than enough points to hit full progression even doing this final day's 5e node only 3x times.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,388 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is Talos like, extra small in fiction? He seemed so much smaller on screen during the match that it seemed like a deliberate choice
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019
    This is a late comment, but I literally laughed out loud when I saw the Gritty-Thing node on Day 2.  The devs had some real nerve to put them together, but I noticed that Grocket's strikes were dialed back, so it really wasn't that hard.  For the first time in a long time I had to change my standard team of Gritty-Thanos to fight them.  I think I used Gritty-Bishop or Gritty-Dusa, but I didn't make the mistake of not targeted Thing on the first attempt. 

It would be really "funny" if they put Bishop, XFDP and Valkyrie together.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    I really am enjoying this event. I'll have a last, probably pretty slow clear tonight and then I'm done.

If I may borrow some others' words:
    y4747 said:
    things i like:
    loaner nodes lock - awesome, hate grinding those. please keep for all pve events.
    1-time boss node - always fun. please keep for all pve events.
    new backgrounds - some of them have pretty nice art too.
    new opponent variety - even if there aren't new goons, just using the mind control plot is a great way to avoid (yet again) dark avengers etc. 
    loaner 5* essential - i've missed this type of thing ever since they did the 5* debut with surfer and had a special one for it. great to give new 5*s (or even old ones you don't have) a test drive with full covers, even if they happen to be as bad as 5*cm. please keep for all pve events.
    overall, i like the investment in a new pve, as well as many of the choices made with it. thanks for that.
    Really good rundown, I agree with almost all of it. But I'll emphasize this: fantastic work with the art, Artists! Especially love the Knowhere screen. It just so happened that I was watching Guardians of the Galaxy for the first time while playing and the Knowhere sub started literally WHILE I WAS WATCHING THAT part in the movie! Really, very fun and excellent luck for me! The movie made for a slow clear of the sub, but so be it. Lots of eye candy in that movie...
    DAZ0273 said:
    I actually didn't struggle with Kitty/Thing as much as I thought I would at SCL8, can't comment on what it was like above that. I found that if you went after R4G's strikes straight away and made sure you had yellow to fire with C4rol's black, you could get shot of Thing and manage Kitty, targeting her next. I ran Black Panther and his yellow and blue left Kitty busy but any fortified tiles left were straight into Shuri's hands. The only fight I lost was when I deviated from the above pattern and fired Carol's black without yellow to immediately get rid of Thing.
    Same experience for me. And overall. I usually play SCL8 and this was in line with Sim in difficulty, I thought. I enjoyed the challenge of the event. I do have Bishop champed, though, and I would imagine that made a massive difference for the relevant nodes.

One things occurred to me reading this thread: I think the fact that I play a lot of PvP really impacts how I react to a more difficult PvE with bespoke enemy teams. I'm forever having to recalibrate my teams to meet new challenges and this didn't seem a lot different from that. For example, I knew from practice that Thing has to be dealt with immediately -- and I could foresee the disaster that would happen if he got his protect tiles out while Kitty was still meowing.

If I generally only played PvE, rarely playing PvP, then I'm not sure I would have enjoyed this experience as much as I did...
  • fuzzy_cracks
    fuzzy_cracks Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    Nice for a change. I didn’t have to use Strange so much for this pve. But I do have to say, the first day was terrible. I couldn’t do much clearing. The lag was unbelievable. I had 15 health refills on standby and I used at least 5 of them before calling it quits. And I rarely use my refills. I got to Iron Man and that was it for the first day. I just got tired of the beat down. 😁😁 But the other three days went pretty smooth like normal. The story was nice, especially since some of the X-men was tied into it. I guess I’ll be looking forward to playing it again. Hopefully I don’t get a repeat of day one. Hopefully......
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yepyep said:
    I really am enjoying this event. I'll have a last, probably pretty slow clear tonight and then I'm done.

If I may borrow some others' words:
    y4747 said:
    things i like:
    loaner nodes lock - awesome, hate grinding those. please keep for all pve events.
    1-time boss node - always fun. please keep for all pve events.
    new backgrounds - some of them have pretty nice art too.
    new opponent variety - even if there aren't new goons, just using the mind control plot is a great way to avoid (yet again) dark avengers etc. 
    loaner 5* essential - i've missed this type of thing ever since they did the 5* debut with surfer and had a special one for it. great to give new 5*s (or even old ones you don't have) a test drive with full covers, even if they happen to be as bad as 5*cm. please keep for all pve events.
    overall, i like the investment in a new pve, as well as many of the choices made with it. thanks for that.
    Really good rundown, I agree with almost all of it. But I'll emphasize this: fantastic work with the art, Artists! Especially love the Knowhere screen. It just so happened that I was watching Guardians of the Galaxy for the first time while playing and the Knowhere sub started literally WHILE I WAS WATCHING THAT part in the movie! Really, very fun and excellent luck for me! The movie made for a slow clear of the sub, but so be it. Lots of eye candy in that movie...
    DAZ0273 said:
    I actually didn't struggle with Kitty/Thing as much as I thought I would at SCL8, can't comment on what it was like above that. I found that if you went after R4G's strikes straight away and made sure you had yellow to fire with C4rol's black, you could get shot of Thing and manage Kitty, targeting her next. I ran Black Panther and his yellow and blue left Kitty busy but any fortified tiles left were straight into Shuri's hands. The only fight I lost was when I deviated from the above pattern and fired Carol's black without yellow to immediately get rid of Thing.
    Same experience for me. And overall. I usually play SCL8 and this was in line with Sim in difficulty, I thought. I enjoyed the challenge of the event. I do have Bishop champed, though, and I would imagine that made a massive difference for the relevant nodes.

One things occurred to me reading this thread: I think the fact that I play a lot of PvP really impacts how I react to a more difficult PvE with bespoke enemy teams. I'm forever having to recalibrate my teams to meet new challenges and this didn't seem a lot different from that. For example, I knew from practice that Thing has to be dealt with immediately -- and I could foresee the disaster that would happen if he got his protect tiles out while Kitty was still meowing.

If I generally only played PvE, rarely playing PvP, then I'm not sure I would have enjoyed this experience as much as I did...
    I also like to play PvP!
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2019
    I simply loved this new event, and had no problem with it playing the way I always do: progression till the first CP prize (so only one time most of the missions).
    Although the dialogues may have been longer or have had more of them, praises for: very good art backgrounds, missions order, variety of opponents, "animals" dialog in Savage Land sub and appearance of X-men in the plot!
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    HAT already feels old and ancient compared to the carol pve.  What's incredibly noticable is:

1.  How disjointed the play exp goes from the yellow join forces node into the rest of the node for pre carol events.  While the enemies don't scale or really change.  The fact that you go from a mandatory 3 to open choice is a dramatic change and it makes yellow node play much worse as a result.

Honestly my real complaint is why not just update the older events with newer mechanics?  I've played meet rocket groot enough.  just update the event with new design trends.
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    I mostly enjoyed this event. My only complaint is how super trolly some of the nodes were, especially the 5* requireds on days 2 and 4.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does this prove, indirectly, that the devs know how to play the game by pairing these "troll" teams?  :disappointed:

Looking forward to more troll teams in the future.