Cosmic Chaos: Your thoughts on the new PVE

Comments

• Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    tiomono said:
    Yepyep said:
    Most of the nodes don't have any dialogues. Who is the Devourer? They were mentioning this. After beating Iron Man (last node), he came to his senses. Prof. X then send a telepathic message to Carol about what's happening. Next stop: X-Mansion.

I was reading the dialogue and I didn't notice 5* Captain Marvel as a loaner. It defaulted to my highest levelled Captain Marvel instead. The third node, which is usually an easy node, caught me by surprise because I was using Thanos and some meat shields.

The bug in the wave node is going to cost me my placement. Boo!  :'(

All in all, it's something refreshing.
    The Devourer is what Tony called the mysterious object that was heading in towards them and mind-controlling people. It doesn't really make great sense as a name, but it is a cool one.

Overall, I'm quite happy with this so far. Here's hoping the remaining subs keep it up!
    This?
    http://https//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactus

Galactus was featured in the miniseries Infinity Gauntlet #1–6 (July – Dec. 1991), Infinity War #1–6 (June – Nov. 1992) and Cosmic Powers #1–6 (March – Aug. 1994). The character starred in the six-issue miniseries Galactus the Devourer (September 1999 – March 2000), written by Louise Simonson and illustrated by John Buscema, which climaxed with Galactus's death.

Galactus, Devourer of Worlds...?
    In the story its just a name carol throws out and Tony likes. It is referring to the black monolith that is in the background picture on the main story node.
    Yeah, I'm definitely no deep comics guy so it seemed quite obvious... Also, I'm in slice 4 and that doesn't start up for another 1-1/4 hours.

But I was feeling quite clever knowing THAT much about Galactus...!  B)
  • abenness
    abenness Posts: 228 Tile Toppler

Really?  The wave node is only worth small points, so even if you didn't realise for a couple of hours, I wouldn't think that it would have that much mathematical impact.  Every other timer still started on time for your final grind.

I saw another comment this morning about someone complaining (from memory) that they finished quickly but later dropped out of the top 20 because of missing the 3-4 clear on the wave node. Again, it's only the position at the end of the sub that matters.

I'm coming at this from top20 finishing in scl9, not top1 / top3, so I can understand it may have more impact at that level where points are much tighter. 

Don't people check the leaderboard after their grind to make sure that full clears are all on the same number of points?  This is how I found it myself within minutes.

Anyway, I hope you find yourself in a competitive position at the end of the day :)
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    Very pleased we got to try out 5* Captain Marvel. Would very much approve of them adding a 5* loaner to all PvE - even lower level players probably don't need to take the 2* for a spin and it would let people experience the 5* level or give higher players the chance to use their 5* characters somewhere else.

The event itself is fine although I'm not sure what the story really is. I was expecting Skrulls but it is mind control instead? I was also expecting Infini-Cap on the 5E to cause some problems with his Jesus bit on his downed team mates but I guess he really is just too slow.

Overall very nice and looks like we have a new event to the cycle which can only be good.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    On the one hand, I like that the "join forces" nodes on the main page are one and done.  On the other hand, they let me use a loaner 5* Captain Marvel, and I wouldn't mind playing through them a few more times to test her powers.
  • DAZ0273
    Yepyep said:
    tiomono said:
    Yepyep said:
    Most of the nodes don't have any dialogues. Who is the Devourer? They were mentioning this. After beating Iron Man (last node), he came to his senses. Prof. X then send a telepathic message to Carol about what's happening. Next stop: X-Mansion.

I was reading the dialogue and I didn't notice 5* Captain Marvel as a loaner. It defaulted to my highest levelled Captain Marvel instead. The third node, which is usually an easy node, caught me by surprise because I was using Thanos and some meat shields.

All in all, it's something refreshing.
    The Devourer is what Tony called the mysterious object that was heading in towards them and mind-controlling people. It doesn't really make great sense as a name, but it is a cool one.

Overall, I'm quite happy with this so far. Here's hoping the remaining subs keep it up!
    This?
    http://https//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactus

Galactus was featured in the miniseries Infinity Gauntlet #1–6 (July – Dec. 1991), Infinity War #1–6 (June – Nov. 1992) and Cosmic Powers #1–6 (March – Aug. 1994). The character starred in the six-issue miniseries Galactus the Devourer (September 1999 – March 2000), written by Louise Simonson and illustrated by John Buscema, which climaxed with Galactus's death.

Galactus, Devourer of Worlds...?
    In the story its just a name carol throws out and Tony likes. It is referring to the black monolith that is in the background picture on the main story node.
    Yeah, I'm definitely no deep comics guy so it seemed quite obvious... Also, I'm in slice 4 and that doesn't start up for another 1-1/4 hours.

But I was feeling quite clever knowing THAT much about Galactus...!  B)
    Did you know that Galactus devoured the Skrulls home planet in the comic books? I doubt they would reference such an old storyline but it is an intriguing link to a movie tie-in that features the little green blighters.
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,173 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019
    Watch out for the Masses of Mindless loaner node. It gives you level ~100 loaners against three very tough M.O:s. A bad board and you are quickly eye beamed to death. I had to use my own heroes and even then they took some real damage. Annoying, stinking M.O:s. So glad it's one clear / closed.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are the levels of those loaners the same regardless of which SCL you choose?

I thought it's X-Mansion today but it turned out to be Savage Land. 

There are only 2 or 3 dialogues. Guest stars are Chewie, Lockjaw, Howard the Duck, Spider-Ham and Devil Dinosaur.
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,173 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019
    Are the levels of those loaners the same regardless of which SCL you choose?

I thought it's X-Mansion today but it turned out to be Savage Land. 

There are only 2 or 3 dialogues. Guest stars are Chewie, Lockjaw, Howard the Duck, Spider-Ham and Devil Dinosaur.
    Hmm, not sure. I play SCL 8 and the M.O.s are level 100, but hit like a truck when their green countdowns resolves.

Update: It's the same whatever SCL you play. Hard for those without good roster. And as usual the composition of the loaners makes no sense against tile spamming foes. I mean, Thor, come on. And all Bishop does is committing suicide. Sigh.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    not a big fan of day 2- thought we were going to the mansion not the savage island - some nodes are challenging and fun though
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    PiMacleod said:

I know this statement might sting somewhat, but I always hear/read how people sometimes get tired of mindlessly trudging through the story every day.   But when opponents who could actually cause issues arise, people get a bit defensive about it.  I would advise to take everything in stride... after all, I know most of the people reading this are going for competitive PvE scores, and if its giving you trouble, then know that its giving others trouble too. At least it's doing it with character combos and not random exploding countdowns or other variables.
    yeah :) the game DOES say puzzle in the title , not "mindless swap"
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Try not to spoil story elements for those who have not started the subs yet.  That being said.. i want a gif of the conversation on the wave node of sub 2 if anyone has the skills :)
  • DAZ0273
    Day 2 is definitely tougher and I haven't reached the Gritty node yet.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019
    (Non-Spoiler PSA)

The last node of sub-2 (the non-repeatable one) has quite a bit of dialogue, so if anyone wants to get a bit of story but is shooting for high placement, go through that one at the end at your leisure

(/Non-Spoiler PSA)

• Ivanstone
    Ivanstone Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    edited March 2019
    jtsings said:
    Day 1 decent, little more challenging but doable and kind of different in a good way.  Day 2 smh.  

1)  R4G, Kitty and Thing really?  I really feel sorry for those of you that are playing in SCL 7 with mostly a 3* roster cause I honestly can't think of an answer for that team.  TBH without Dazzler I'm not sure how a new 4* roster can get past that node.

Star-Lord or Elektra. Just steal all of their stuff.
  • Twomp_thaDJ
    Twomp_thaDJ Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Malcrof said:
    The story isn't making much sense, as she is fighting the avengers.. maybe when it's over we can get a storyboard to read all of it, but the event itself is quite fun.
    Is there some place that has all the events story boards?!?! I haven’t been able to read any of the stories in over 2 and a half years due to speed racing clears to get good placement..

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Love that its much less of a grind, although that might be due to having a champed 5* Daredevil.
    Feels weird that we got a trivial wave node and not a hard wave node too.
    I like 5* Carols look in the story more than in the roster. Side view of the Mohawk is a little better

• Rhadamanthus23
    Rhadamanthus23 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    edited March 2019
    Wonko33 said:
    yeah :) the game DOES say puzzle in the title , not "mindless swap"
    Heh. Very clever response. Made me laugh and nod sagely in agreement. But to be honest, at this point it could easily be renamed "Meta Pace Quest"