Cosmic Chaos: Your thoughts on the new PVE

Options

Comments

• Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    As a 3* player, who plays scl7, that gritty node is just cruel. Especially when it starts scaling up... Get a bad board to go with it, and you're done before you even collect enough ap to fire anything. :(

And i guess power creep is real for story nodes too. The initial loner node with cage/thor/bishop really surprised me too. Those eye beams seemed extra heavy duty to me. Perhaps its just the team itself, but i dont remember having such difficulty with such nodes in other story events. So glad i only had to do it once! (I probably would only have done it once anyway, but this way i dont have to feel guilty for leaving the rest  :p ).

Love the new story though and glad not to see any dark avengers.

On a personal note, the event vault seems to love me, which greatly makes up for the fact that i dont have the 5e, so i wont get to have as many pulls.
  • furbear00000
    furbear00000 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    jtsings said:

2)  Hawkeye, Mindless One, 5* Old Man Logan.  So take one character that has the cheapest AP pools in the game and the "being" that spams the most countdown tiles in the game and pair them with the character that keeps spitting out strike tiles every time any power is fired; again really?
    At first glance this fight looked like it was going to be bad. I used Bishop and 4* Gamora and pretty much had them stunned the entire fight while DD did extra damage. 
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 610 Critical Contributor
    Options
    jtsings said:

2)  Hawkeye, Mindless One, 5* Old Man Logan.  So take one character that has the cheapest AP pools in the game and the "being" that spams the most countdown tiles in the game and pair them with the character that keeps spitting out strike tiles every time any power is fired; again really?
    At first glance this fight looked like it was going to be bad. I used Bishop and 4* Gamora and pretty much had them stunned the entire fight while DD did extra damage.
    I used Bishop and Ant-Man and the Small Time Crook stole all those specials. It was pretty fun.
  • kk3thess
    kk3thess Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    That gritty/Thing node... HOW? WHY? At least they should down her purple cover to 1 and give it three turns to the player, with just one turn it's just... WHY? 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    To provide a challenge?

This is quite a good team. You either take more damage each turn or you see yourself doing 1 damage. :disappointed:
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I love Day 2 as well.  I was shocked when I saw the Gritty and thing team, but makes you use your full roster to overcome it.  
  • abenness
    abenness Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options
    To provide a challenge?

This is quite a good team. You either take more damage each turn or you see yourself doing 1 damage. :disappointed:
    Yep, made the mistake of not swapping Thing in front the second time through, won’t do that again.

But does everyone realise that the devs did take it easy on us? They have R4G creating 5 strike tiles at the start (not 7). So match 2 away and no boosting from Kitty (unless you forgot about Thing jumping in).

I took Bishop in, he took the first two matches, smacked them back, and then had enough blue to stun Kitty while I finished off Thing, then her.

Used my Pocket Radio support to have Bishop tanking Red, Green, Blue.

I preferred this battle to the IM40, Riri, Mockingbird from sub 1, that was just brutal for me and Bishop wasn’t helping as much.

I’m looking forward to seeing which team combos come in the next round, even though it is a harder event overall.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm still only on sub 1, but with 4 essential nodes, one wave node, 2 one-off nodes and 4 normal nodes, there are fewer nodes to clear, so that's two thumbs up from me.
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Is the 2001 vibe with the monolith intentional or was it just something that was in the back of the mind of the devs when they came up with the storyline for this event?
  • jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2019
    Options
    PiMacleod said:

I know this statement might sting somewhat, but I always hear/read how people sometimes get tired of mindlessly trudging through the story every day.   But when opponents who could actually cause issues arise, people get a bit defensive about it.  I would advise to take everything in stride... after all, I know most of the people reading this are going for competitive PvE scores, and if its giving you trouble, then know that its giving others trouble too.
       I realize that I'm mostly in a slacker bracket, so take this as you want, but as of 12 hours after round 2 started out of a 700+ player bracket only 12 had made full points in SCL 7.  I realize that many of us can make comments about using all of your roster and be creative but what if you don't have the roster depth to counter this team.  I, personally, didn't have an issue with the node but I try to look at the larger player base and see what they see.  In my bracket, clearly several people have given up on the node or just didn't even try to play it, which I would imagine is very frustrating.  A majority of the player base doesn't have the breadth of champions that most of us, who are on the forums have; so in a way I like to kind of voice the frustrations that many of those who aren't on the forums most likely have.

Ivanstone said:
    Star-Lord or Elektra. Just steal all of their stuff. 
       Neither of these 3*s are boosted this week and even if you're lucky enough to not die while gathering the AP to steal the tiles, Kitty will make you pay for it once she's gotten rid of them all.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I do think this is going to end up being one of those, like Simulator or Hearts of Darkness, where a lot of people tend to drop down a level. I know I'm going down to SCL8 if this runs again anytime soon, before I've got a couple more 5* champs.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sub 3 was good too.  In fact the last boss node, please consider this for all events, and as PHX.  Her actions reminded me of the Boss Rush PHX but not as wicked.  I didn’t get her powers in a SS but she was adding red tiles.   That was the first thing I thought of was Boss Rush.   Maybe somebody can grab that in another slice.  

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Her abilities remind me of Sinister Six's Sandman's abilities:

Based on memory:

1) Passive
    Create 3 red tiles. If there are thirteen or more red tiles, destroy them and deal damage.

2) If Jean Grey creates a match-5, deal AoE damage and stun a random enemy(?).

I can't remember the rest because my strategy was to match red to deny Jean Grey from making match-5.

• optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    These nodes feel like they belong in a "one and done" category, not a "chew through them multiple times" category. Some are just insanely hard once you hit the second or third clear. 

Kitty & Rocket is just pure trolling. Shuri, Panther, plus a tile buffer (and green feeder!) is nasty if it gets going.  Squirrel Girl with a purple and green feeder. Hawkeye, OML, and a Mindless One. Fortified countdowns and extra strike tiles for the MO to buff everywhere.

I'm no slouch, I've got lots of 4* champs. This is still brutal and I'm tapping out of this sub. 

Rework this or shoot it into the sun. This is like Simulator on steroids. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    These nodes feel like they belong in a "one and done" category, not a "chew through them multiple times" category. Some are just insanely hard once you hit the second or third clear. 

Kitty & Rocket is just pure trolling. Shuri, Panther, plus a tile buffer (and green feeder!) is nasty if it gets going.  Squirrel Girl with a purple and green feeder. Hawkeye, OML, and a Mindless One. Fortified countdowns and extra strike tiles for the MO to buff everywhere.

I'm no slouch, I've got lots of 4* champs. This is still brutal and I'm tapping out of this sub. 

Rework this or shoot it into the sun. This is like Simulator on steroids. 
    Be glad those are not the 5* essentials.
    Topping out at 370 you should easily be able to handle these nodes with boosted 4s.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Easy isn't the word I'd use. These nodes are designed to leave you battered pretty badly. It doesn't help that my Bishop is poorly covered (6 or 7) and is little more than a suicidal nut, so the 4E I'm fighting with a hand tied behind my back. 
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've been enjoying this event a lot. Why? Because I have a champed Daredevil. And so the game is about utilizing his powers. And he's really fun! Of course, after this, he'll have to go stand in the corner for, I don't know, maybe a year until he is buffed again? 

And during the next six weeks I get to look forward to events with Kingpin, a moderately covered Doom, and a poorly covered Captain Marvel. So all of those events will be all about Thor and Okoye (or occasionally Gritty). Which is where the game gets really, really, monotonous. The buffed 5* is good for some match damage, maybe tanking a color for Thor (but maybe taking a color away from Okoye) and maybe one power to leverage Okoye. But every match is about getting Okoye her TU tiles and Thor his green. And the buffed 5* isn't even useful enough to play in anything but the 5e node. 

It is really time to find a way to get more buffed Classic 5*'s into the game. When Spiderman is buffed, it is a whole different game trying to get web tiles all over the board. With Black Bolt it is getting charged tiles out and trying to get the right AP distribution for a Scream. Those differences are a lot of fun! I understand that making people try to cover the latest 5*'s in order to compete drives revenue. But now that I've been at the 5* level for over a year and it has lost its newness, having so many events be nothing more than Thorokoye fests is really getting old.

So how about it? Can we have a weekly buffed Classic 5* in PVE? Or some other way to increase the fun factor by making these cool characters useful again?
  • furbear00000
    furbear00000 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Day 3 sure is easier than 2. A lot of the teams are reused from the Simulator and the 5E node is substantially easier. No mindless ones today, yay.