Mr. Fantastic (Reed Richards) Character Rework (1/9/19)

Options

Comments

• bigheroslix
    bigheroslix Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Just used him against carnage. Fired 4 random powers on yellow passive. Very effective
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Oh drat. I forgot about Maggott...

First 0* character, to be quickly followed by Aunt May and Willie Lumpkin.

Totally OT, but seeing Aunt May mentioned... how tinykitty is it that I just saw an article where it looks like they decided to give her cancer now... sheesh... sorry, had to vent... now back to questioning Mr. F redesign :)... 
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Malcrof said:
    Mr Fantastic + Carnage = fast pve clears now
    Have you met my friend Thanos?
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Yeah I don't like this rework.  Does anyone think Mr.F was one of the worst 4*? I can think a of a ton more that need reworks first as he had his uses.  I think his black power is clearly worse as I found his old black power to actually be pretty decent.  The new power costs more, is much more random and the old power was actually pretty easy to keep going for quite a while with the right team.  The blue power is actually worse imo.  The damage added is for a 4* is worse than the board manipulation + protection tile it would generate and the lower AP cost.  The yellow power is probably better, but only due to the idea of the random power firing.  In balance though, I think the worse blue/black outweighs the increase in yellow.  The loss of the Fantastic 4 synergy too bad, even though it didn't come up too much.  Plus he was a great go to character against Kaecilius. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    Options
    That's some interesting statistics:

Using 1/1/2015 as start date and 10/1/2019 as end date

Note: estimated figures

Invisible Woman (1/1/2015) -1105 days - average no. of battles per day = 21,964

The Thing (26/6/2015) - 939 days  - average no. of battles per day = 21,839

Mr Fantastic (19/8/2015) - 875 days -  average no. of battles per day = 12,982

Even though IW has a 5 months lead over the Thing, their usages are pretty close.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thing, Reed and Medusa used to be my best counter against Grocket & Medusa. Reed's cheap blue generating medium strength protect tiles, his burst healing combined with Medusa's, and his green AP generation so Thing could clobber away. No good for defense of course but it was as close to a sure win against Grocket as you can get in the 4* space. 

But this Reed? No way. Healing is way too weak, no green generation, and no protect tiles either. 

I think this is a nerf, and it has the effect of putting both he and Thing on my "never use" bench. 
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Brigby said:
    Here are the number of battles starting from 1/1/2015 where a player's team contained one of those characters:
    • Human Torch (Classic) - 78,800,406 [Not surprised. He's a 3-Star]
    • Invisible Woman - 24,271,009
    • The Thing - 20,507,288
    • Mr. Fantastic - 11,359,957
    That doesn't surprise me, since Mr. Fantastic wasn't released until almost a year after 1/1/15 and it would have taken some additional time after that for many players to have him fully built. Plus, the Thing does have one thing going for him in that he is the perfect hard counter for Grocket - the 4-star tier's most common rascal - so he has seen wide use in the Sim.

A better usage stat would be taken from the point of Mr. F's last rebalance forward, not from 2015, if possible. 

I will greatly miss his old blue, it was helpful to use defensively in battle, and was an excellent TU to request. 

Curious about his yellow, it should be fun to make a goal of earning abilities fired for free. I don't think he needed this rebalance but I too could easily see an exploited combo of an upcoming character or affiliation effect.

*** So, since Brigby can look up usage stats, care to share with us the 'least used character' totals in the 4* tier of those who have been released for a fair amount of time?  ***

• Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Brigby said:
    Here are the number of battles starting from 1/1/2015 where a player's team contained one of those characters:
    • The Thing - 20,507,288
    That doesn't surprise me, since Mr. Fantastic wasn't released until almost a year after 1/1/15 and it would have taken some additional time after that for many players to have him fully built. Plus, the Thing does have one thing going for him in that he is the perfect hard counter for Grocket - the 4-star tier's most common rascal - so he has seen wide use in the Sim.
    Not to mention Mr. F was reworked some time after.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think my biggest complaint here is that Imaginaut doesn't actually tell you what it does, in game. Not sure you're going to see an increase in usage for a character if players can't actually tell what he does, or how the ability improves, from in the game.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2019
    Options
    marshall said:
    His black seems much worse since it's random. It was a great power before that made him a powerhouse solo. Isn't he supposed to be a strategist/inventor? How is that represented by a random power? These random powers do useless things most of the time: burst heal when you are mopping up the last enemy or weak tiles that don't help you turn around a match.
    For me, this was by far my strongest initial reaction. Sure, it's a game not a comic, but this really cheapens Reed's authenticity. Sometimes these things matter...
  • Waddles_Pines
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I think my biggest complaint here is that Imaginaut doesn't actually tell you what it does, in game. Not sure you're going to see an increase in usage for a character if players can't actually tell what he does, or how the ability improves, from in the game.
    Agreed.  It's the same type of issue I have with characters like Green Goblin; I shouldn't have to look up in the forums about what their powers do at what power level.

Also, I saw your other post questioning the locked tiles.  That and the charged tiles really don't make much sense to me on Imaginaut.  Why not change it to "force bubbles"?  For all intents and purposes they are the same, except in this case it adds some interaction with IW if you want it.  
    <edit: you mentioned this in another post... this thread is too long hahaha>

I think this is one of those parallel rebuilds.  If they kept the costs the same I'd be inclined to call it a boost, but with the increased costs it just feels like taking a step sideways instead of forward.  At least it wasn't backwards like KP's "upgrade"....
  • Waddles_Pines
    Options
    Yepyep said:
    marshall said:
    His black seems much worse since it's random. It was a great power before that made him a powerhouse solo. Isn't he supposed to be a strategist/inventor? How is that represented by a random power? These random powers do useless things most of the time: burst heal when you are mopping up the last enemy or weak tiles that don't help you turn around a match.
    For me, this was by far my strongest initial reaction. Sure, it's a game not a comic, but this really cheapens Reed's authenticity. Sometimes these things matter...
    Yeah, make it like Goblin's.  You get to select the color/effect of it....
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Brigby said:
    • The Thing - 20,507,288
    So, they are using metrics for different rarities, across different lengths of time available in the token pool, while also not regarding a fixes to two different characters?  

I want to go back to assuming they threw a dart at a dartboard to pick who to fix, that makes more sense at this point 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That's the problem with data with no context I guess. If you re-run those numbers from the point of his release, and then cross-checked it against how often each character was featured in an event (basically how often players chose to use a chracter rather than how often they were required to use a character), it would tell you a different story.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Dormammu said:
    Brigby said:
    • The Thing - 20,507,288
    So, they are using metrics for different rarities, across different lengths of time available in the token pool, while also not regarding a fixes to two different characters?  

I want to go back to assuming they threw a dart at a dartboard to pick who to fix, that makes more sense at this point 
    That's not necessarily the data they specifically used. Those numbers were data I personally pulled from our database. True, I could've been more precise in the time-frame comparisons though.

As for adding Human Torch in there, his data was technically irrelevant, since he is a 3-Star, and would clearly have a higher usage rate. I just wanted to round out the entire Fantastic Four quartet, hence my tacked-on comment. 
    Thanks for the response and initial info.  Any peek behind the curtain is appreciated.  Any chance for a smaller, more (assumedly) better time frame?  Like the last six months of 2017?  

And maybe even include the entire 4* tier?

I have no problems with rebalances, and can understand some may see each as positive or negative, as evidenced in this thread.  But what i, and others, would really love to see, is maybe an explanation.  
  • Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Then again to be fair it's not his job as community manager to dig through those numbers and analyze them completely for our use.