Mr. Fantastic (Reed Richards) Character Rework (1/9/19)

Options

Comments

• BumpoTheClown
    BumpoTheClown Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Options
    They've removed the little team synergy bonus that he had on Yellow. It was next to useless, so no great loss. But the optimistic part of me hopes that this is sort of clearing the decks so that they can introduce real team bonuses through some other mechanism that isn't tied to individual character powers. There's a lot that could be done there potentially. I feel like affiliations are an underused aspect of the game right now.

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I like it. His yellow was trash before, its good now. Unlike Mockingbird, he can be used against goons in pve. Blue is a little worse, but now has some damage potential. Black is probably better. Before it was good with 5* Daredevil for double dip damage on a stunned enemy, but that was about it. The damage was pretty small and it could disappear easily. The new black is just a little lame, joins the ton of 4s with a repeater tile that makes special tiles
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:
    No using him against Kaecilius. Basically, back to being essentially useless. 
    Forgive my ignorance.. how was he used against him???
    His blue could swap tiles of your choice, so you could easily match a strike tile to harm Kaecillius. My team for Kaecillius was Mr. F., Agent Coulson and Quicksilver, so I had three tile swappers, one each on Blue, Purple and Black. Now Mr. F won't be useful in that fight any more.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    Options
    They've removed the little team synergy bonus that he had on Yellow. It was next to useless, so no great loss. But the optimistic part of me hopes that this is sort of clearing the decks so that they can introduce real team bonuses through some other mechanism that isn't tied to individual character powers. There's a lot that could be done there potentially. I feel like affiliations are an underused aspect of the game right now.

I've been waiting for Supports that can apply affiliations. LIke a Guardians of the Galaxy logo that can make anybody give 4ocket the bonus for instance. Or an X-Men Uniform that let's Kitty treat 4ocket as an X-Man. Basically at this moment, those are the only affiliations I can think of currently that matter, and it requires a power to make use of that affiliation lol.

I still think we need a character who can manipulate repeater timers. Something like C4rol's Command Decision. Or somebody better than Bagman who can make friendly countdown timers increase.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I've been waiting for Supports that can apply affiliations. LIke a Guardians of the Galaxy logo that can make anybody give 4ocket the bonus for instance. Or an X-Men Uniform that let's Kitty treat 4ocket as an X-Man. Basically at this moment, those are the only affiliations I can think of currently that matter, and it requires a power to make use of that affiliation lol.
    The Guardians will probably take anyone, they aint picky but the X-Men on the other hand...
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    Options
    The Guardians will probably take anyone, they aint picky but the X-Men on the other hand...
    You sure about that? lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_X-Men_members
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Oh drat. I forgot about Maggott...

• BumpoTheClown
    BumpoTheClown Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Oh drat. I forgot about Maggott...

First 0* character, to be quickly followed by Aunt May and Willie Lumpkin.

• wingX
    wingX Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2019
    Options
    The only real bad thing I feel about this rework is that the Thing should get rework before him, other than that, even though it is overall a nerf to most, there are the possibility of new combo with the new Mr F, like using with with and against tile spammers and against goons (beside Carnage and Medusa). I still may not like that now he has now 2 abilities that cause random affect.
    I initially though the rework will deal with team affiliations so that he has abilities that will interact more with other Fantastic 4 member beside just gaining APs  when enemy match your special tiles as of his old yellow ability.
    I think his best build is still going to be 5/3/5 and in regard to working with Carnage, I don't know how random firing Carnage's red or green ability may sound as there are draw back to both of his red and green depend on circumstances.
    At least his rework is still better than that of Kingpin.

• HobieCat76
    HobieCat76 Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Options

My sentiments exactly.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Over he is more niche now,  nerfed a bit....great in certain situations. But he was already like that.

His usefulness with 5's took a nose dive.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Over he is more niche now,  nerfed a bit....great in certain situations. But he was already like that.

His usefulness with 5's took a nose dive.
    I disagree. I think he was more niche before, specifically when paired with Carnage or Bishop, or a F4 member. Now I think he's better overall but less niche, so maybe less useful. But free 5* powers seem pretty good. Much better than Mockingbird who would get you killed by letting them make match 4s.
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I’ll join with the others calling this a nerf, Mr. F is undeniably worse now. He went from a solid support character to an unreliable damage dealer. The only times he’ll be used now are when he’s boosted or essential. Imaginaut was great for letting you double dip on strike tiles. Changing any characters power to be a worse version of another characters power will always be a nerf. 
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    wingX said:

I initially though the rework will deal with team affiliations so that he has abilities that will interact more with other Fantastic 4 member beside just gaining APs  when enemy match your special tiles as of his old yellow ability.

Reed always did get on well with his team mates...

• JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I guess I was right to worry; looks like Mr. Fantastic just got slower and a lot more random.  I just hope that at least the yellow passive triggers/counts based on the number of special tiles matched, or else it's going to be even more lackluster than I currently think it is.

It looks like he keeps his synergy with Carnage, but seems like his best option is to pair with Cloak and Dagger for both special tile and black generation.  Maybe XFDP Countdown spam can juice his attack, or use Elektra or Eddie Brock to fuel some enemy specials, but the updated kit will never match the the brilliant 5* Daredevil/Mr. Fantastic/Shuri synergy that someone here devised.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    As much as I think some of these changes are... unorthodox, all the crying is as bizarr, i haven’t seen a single MrF in the last 3 pvp season, it’s not like they destroyed the most used char in the game. Okay, those who used him with bishop are pranked now, but as someone already stated, you don’t now if this isn’t building some kind of synergy with future chars. Also, no one asked if his blue is working with okoye black, would be a nice thor counter, stun plus boosted damage
    You basically answer your own "question" even though you technically didnt ask one.  You see people "crying" about a change without reading why. 

You never see him, so why the fix?  A second fix, to another mid tier character.  Kingpin received the same treatment, and to my knowledge, his old (second iteration) would not have had any significant synergy to any released characters since.

My guess?  Those in charge of rebalancing characters rarely play, so they do not know who needs to truly be fixed, so they let RNG decide.  They fire up MPQ, open an LT, and fix whatever 4* comes out.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    About that black repeater... I've seen a couple posts here mention locked tiles might help IW. Has she been changed stealthily? If I remember right, she only counts her own type of locked tile, "force bubble" or something like that.

So, from my experience, locking random tiles only causes tile matching to be slower for the human player. Hardly anything good ever comes of it. Adding that as one of the random effects possible seems to me like it would represent the machine glitching or something.

And since Mr F might actually use enemy tiles now, it would have been better if the imaginaut made a few dummy CDs or repeaters that do nothing instead of aimlessly messing the board with locking.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kolence said:
    About that black repeater... I've seen a couple posts here mention locked tiles might help IW. Has she been changed stealthily? If I remember right, she only counts her own type of locked tile, "force bubble" or something like that.

So, from my experience, locking random tiles only causes tile matching to be slower for the human player. Hardly anything good ever comes of it. Adding that as one of the random effects possible seems to me like it would represent the machine glitching or something.

And since Mr F might actually use enemy tiles now, it would have been better if the imaginaut made a few dummy CDs or repeaters that do nothing instead of aimlessly messing the board with locking.
    He could, if we're lucky, lock tiles in force bubbles, I suppose.

Not that Force Field Crush is particularly 'good' when it's unlocking force bubbles, unless there are some crazy number like 10.
  • Freelancer
    Freelancer Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @Brigby

Are the 'System Reboot' events no longer going to be run for reworked characters? It's been a while since the last 4* rework, so hopefully the devs just forgot.
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I dunno if someone asked already, but @Brigby, could you possibly shed some light on the reasoning behind this rework of Mr.F? No need for great details, just if it has something to do with an upcoming release? Or an attempt to increase his viability in some form?

It's just that I think, like most people on here, that choosing him over various other (even FF) characters seems... odd so to say.