Mr. Fantastic (Reed Richards) Character Rework (1/9/19)

Comments

• Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    Brigby said:
    I brought Mr. Fantastic and a character at 10% health into a game, made sure that character didn't ever get hit, and Mr. Fantastic ended up burst healing that character.
    At least it's burst healing and not true healing. Can't have those using Thor or DareDevil cry about the free true heal (not that anyone is going to bring the new Reed with those two). 

Brigby said:
    You could always use Agent Coulson, if you're looking for another 4-Star that can swap tiles? You even get the benefit of those tiles becoming Charged too!
    But you still lose the swap effect in the third colour when you bring him along with Coulson and Quicksilver. That was really handy against the boss in strange sights (unless this was intended   
  • CartoonScience
    CartoonScience Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    I'm also disappointed. His active powers now cost more and the effects of his powers are random.
    He loses the certain ability to generate defense tiles & AP and gains the ability to fire a random power and create random tiles.
    The cost for his black seems a bit high. Also, if you're getting a power with the random power to create charged tiles, why not create critical tiles?
    He's still probably useful in certain teams, but this rework makes him feel a bit weaker.
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    Yeah, when comparing his new black ability to 4*BP's yellow... I don't get this at all.

I was hoping there would be some reasoning given as to why Mr.F was reworked, but alas it was not to be. I believe that it has been said somewhere on the forum a while back that reworks take up quite some time and resources, so why do we now get a rework that nobody asked for when there are so many weaker characters out there that could have been improved? And why the hell did the Gambit rework take 8-9 months to appear when about half the people on the forum where quite vocal about him being OP back then?

Ye gods... none of this makes sense. Well, I guess Mr.F went from 'cool when boosted' to 'only when essential' with this rework. This is disappointing to say the least.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    StevO-J said:
    so why do we now get a rework that nobody asked for when there are so many weaker characters out there that could have been improved?
    And it bares repeating, he was fine as he was. Not top tier and not garbage tier either. And with this being a celebration of the Fantastic Four, nerfing him makes even less sense.

Especially when people have grumbled about how boring Thing is for a long time, and changing him for the better would have been true to the celebration this is meant to be.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm wondering how many special tiles does Imaginaut create? I see plural.
    There's a list in the first post giving the possibilities for 5 covers in the power: 4x locked tiles, 2x strike tiles, 3x protect tiles, 3x attack tiles, generate 3 AP, or 5x charged tiles.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    I'm frustrated by this change too and want to add my voice to everyone else's........he was good the way he was, and didn't need to be "rebalanced"! This is a nerf in my opinion.

He used to be useful with Coulson and Quicksilver against bosses.
    He used to be useful with Shuri and Panther. 
    He used to be useful with Bishop.
    He used to have synergy with Invisible woman and Thing.
    He's still useful with Cardusa, but I think the old version would be better. 

This makes me think the dev's don't listen to us. There are a dozen other characters that need to be "rebalanced".
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    This rework doesn't seem to make much sense. Many don't seem convinced it was necessary. Certainly others characters are far more deserving of a rework, especially considering he's already been reworked. Time will tell whether it is a good or a bad thing.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    I don’t have the capacity to analyse right now. Can someone tell me if this is a buff or nerf? His Blue sounds vastly worse, Yellow is much better, Black...isnt so board-dependent now I guess?
    It is a nerf. They raised the cost. They ruined his wonderful blue ability.  They reduced the team heal, they made stuff random on his black and cost more.   His name is still Mr.Failtastic. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    @jamesh thanks for pointing out. I was focusing on the images.

If we were to look it from another pov, could it be the devs read all the players feedbacks and most players (including in-game players) prefer Mr Fantastic to Thing rework. Again, the devs have shared what metrics they used to determine which characters need balances. The players probably use feelings to decide balances while the dev use data to make the changes.
  • MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    As somebody who uses him regularly with medusa and carnage, i really like this. Yes the blue and black are a little more expensive, but for the way i use him, i would definitely say he has been improved. 

While he loses strength on his heal, it does have the advantage that the player has control over it, while having a better side effect than gaining 3 green ap sometimes. And the smaller health boost is mitigaten by his black potentially creating more tiles than his blue ever did, which feeds medusa’s healing better.

i understand why some people are disappointed by the changes and how it affects their specific combos, but for me, i think this is awesome. Think how good his blue could be when boosted with a lot of friendly tiles. He could even potentially pair well with mohawk storm or dazzler if needed
  • y4747
    y4747 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    to me, it looks like they switched him from a very unpopulated, always useful niche (tile swapping), to a very populated niche against enemies that make lots of special tiles (carnage etc), which he shares with quite a few other 4*.
    that being said, his yellow was already pretty good for that - team burst is useful against carnage and friends...

his direct damage is highly conditional, and alone would require him to both fire the rather expensive black first and have that randomly creates specials, at least twice.

the only thing i'm not sure of is the random friendly power firing - i had high hopes of mockingbird because of them, but it turned out meh.

i think they turned him from a generally decent toon with a almost unique swapping mechanic who had an advantage vs. (and with) carnage and friends, to a bad toon that might explode when facing toons creating many specials.

i'll be interested to see how he plays, but on the face of it, i'd call this a nerf.

... i will also add my voice to the chorus of "why him" (though as opposed to some others, i think Thing is fine) when there are other characters in more dire need of a rework, and bet either bishop or an as-yet-introduced blue generator is on the way.

• ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2019
    awesome rework. 

take away his swap, maybe reed won't be played in 10% of all matches.

oh wait...

good bye, shuri, reed and cage.
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    I hate this change so much because he's one of my favorite character in MPQ. Him and IM40 have helped me beating so many deadly PvE nodes or 5-star essential nodes where my 5-star characters are too weak and I had to rely on perma-stun from the combination of IM40's yellow and Mr. F's blue. The battles were challenging and really felt like a puzzle game since I had to calculate and think about every move I make. I like how his old Imaginaut can be deadly with the right set up. It was fun to make matches and see bonus damage that is boosted by strike tiles. The only thing they should have changed was his yellow. 

If anything, I wish this wasn't a change but another version of his character or a new character. The change looks interesting, but I'll miss his old powers set :-/ 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,568 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not sure what to think. Mine isn't champed so I have never seen the best out of him or used him for Kaecilius, especially as 4* Elektra & Patch have always been more than enough for that. Likewise not having a useable Bishop meant that particular teams advantages have not crossed my path.

Don't particularly like that his powers are more expensive, especially Imaginaut, his relative cheapness was part of the appeal of using him when I did.

I guess the damage on blue will probably help out with his Crash.
  • Chrynos1989
    Chrynos1989 Posts: 296 Mover and Shaker
    As much as I think some of these changes are... unorthodox, all the crying is as bizarr, i haven’t seen a single MrF in the last 3 pvp season, it’s not like they destroyed the most used char in the game. Okay, those who used him with bishop are pranked now, but as someone already stated, you don’t now if this isn’t building some kind of synergy with future chars. Also, no one asked if his blue is working with okoye black, would be a nice thor counter, stun plus boosted damage
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Well, I'm one of those who only used Mr. Fantastic as another tile swap character against Kaecilius, so I will miss that a lot... Yellow and black seems ok. But as many have pointed, I too think other ones, like Thing, needed a rework more than Reed.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    I think too many people are looking at this rework in the space of the game's current state. And in that state, it makes little sense outside of Bishop (but really, Iceman or Gamora would be better partners for stun spamming than Mr. F).

I think his potential future interaction with an unreleased character is more likely to blame for this.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mr Fantastic + Carnage = fast pve clears now