Connection Problems

Comments

• Chrynos1989
    Chrynos1989 Posts: 328 Mover and Shaker
    While I understand that people are upset about not being able to do their clears and while I think there should be a compensation, some of the comments here are absolutely disgusting.
    people are acting like devs are doing that stunt on purpose. Well, of course there might only be a small squad looking into the problem atm, making the fixing slower, but damn, they are people too and have the damn right to celebrate Christmas and NY with their families as much as you do! Additionally, to fix a problem you have to find its cause, may it be something so obvious as a drunkard driving into your server farm building after NYE or something so small as an overflowing puffer, doesn’t matter, it takes time. If you’re lucky, you fix it first try, if not than not, period. That’s no damn reason to get insulting on the IT team, I can imagine they do their best and keep in mind they are already up trying to fix while you still might lay in your beds with a serious hangover.

so enough ranting, happy new year to all of you, I hope everything works out
    I've certainly not said anything about them doing it on purpose. I just want adequate compensation for the downtime. Its a 7 day event, which also took place over the Christmas period. A lot of time has been put into my placing, where I was 2nd after day 4. I'm going to be in a fight to finish top 10 now. Thats hardly fair. 
    And I’m totally with you in the point about of compensation, I was one of the many who were in bad luck when the 3 day iOS lock out happened and I lost a cover when nicu minoru was released due to StrangeS door bug (got that compensated), so I feel with you, but some people exaggerate a bit here (not pointing in your direction, just a statement about the overall reaction)
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    While I understand that people are upset about not being able to do their clears and while I think there should be a compensation, some of the comments here are absolutely disgusting.
    people are acting like devs are doing that stunt on purpose. Well, of course there might only be a small squad looking into the problem atm, making the fixing slower, but damn, they are people too and have the damn right to celebrate Christmas and NY with their families as much as you do! Additionally, to fix a problem you have to find its cause, may it be something so obvious as a drunkard driving into your server farm building after NYE or something so small as an overflowing puffer, doesn’t matter, it takes time. If you’re lucky, you fix it first try, if not than not, period. That’s no damn reason to get insulting on the IT team, I can imagine they do their best and keep in mind they are already up trying to fix while you still might lay in your beds with a serious hangover.

I've certainly not said anything about them doing it on purpose. I just want adequate compensation for the downtime. Its a 7 day event, which also took place over the Christmas period. A lot of time has been put into my placing, where I was 2nd after day 4. I'm going to be in a fight to finish top 10 now. Thats hardly fair. 
    And I’m totally with you in the point about of compensation, I was one of the many who were in bad luck when the 3 day iOS lock out happened and I lost a cover when nicu minoru was released due to StrangeS door bug (got that compensated), so I feel with you, but some people exaggerate a bit here (not pointing in your direction, just a statement about the overall reaction)
    Well I really did bath the dog. He smells of red berries now which is a good thing as he is currently lying next to my chair.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bleh.  From 2nd overall, 15 points out of 1st to 11th.  Email sent already.  Ever since they did the compensation for the Strange sights event with the Door 1 issue, they have been better with this.   We will see once they are back in the office. 
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards

This right here, well said. If I try to put it in my own words I'm likely to really upset people. Because I often lack tact.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards

Play this game long enough, and you wil lget screwed by the servers going down.  It consistently happens every quarter, and people have a right to ask, why isn't there bettter contingency planning.

that said,  no one has ever gotten adequate compensation for a server crash.  you might go on the warpath and ask for a one time exemption from brigby,  but thats realistically all they have ever done in the history of hte game.

• AardvarkPepper
    AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
    Well, this is a bummer. With all the preparations for NYE I didn't play any MPQ yesterday. The drive home took 45 minutes, which I used to at least play my 4 clears in Prodigal Sun.
    Set my alarm to clear DDQ in the last hour before reset, so I'd get the 3* cover which would have gotten me an LT champ reward... 
    Serves me right for cutting it close I guess.
    Don't be silly.  Everyone that wants maximum points at their SCL (i.e. everyone in top 100 alliances) would be cutting it close in PvE.
  • Steel_Colt
    Steel_Colt Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    Well, this is a bummer. With all the preparations for NYE I didn't play any MPQ yesterday. The drive home took 45 minutes, which I used to at least play my 4 clears in Prodigal Sun.
    Set my alarm to clear DDQ in the last hour before reset, so I'd get the 3* cover which would have gotten me an LT champ reward... 
    Serves me right for cutting it close I guess.
    Don't be silly.  Everyone that wants maximum points at their SCL (i.e. everyone in top 100 alliances) would be cutting it close in PvE.
    While what you say is very true, in this case I'm not really aiming for placement and the cutting it close part was aimed at clearing DDQ in the last hour. I could have cleared DDQ after doing my clears for Prodigal Sun, after getting home at 4 o' clock in the morning. Instead I chose to leave it to the last hour by setting an alarm at 11 o' clock in the morning, to catch some Zzz's first and not upset the missus by letting her go to bed alone the first night in 2019. 
    "Serves me right" should be read with a certain amount of sarcasm. And while I'd like to see a compensation in the form of that Gambit cover, 3 Taco Tokens, 2 CP and some Iso, I don't expect it as I had 23 other hours in which I could have spend the 10 minutes it takes to do DDQ.
    D3 done goofed as they say, but they are also only human and don't deserve to be criticized and ridiculed as is being done in this thread now. As already pointed out, they also deserve to be with their family during Christmas and New Years eve. 
    And I know what I'm talking about, I missed my oldest son's first NYE because of work a few years back. 
  • AardvarkPepper
    AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
    Bowgentle said:
    We better get fairly compensated for this. I dont grind my tinykitty off for a week for this type of nonsense. I was on pace for 2nd place at least. 
    You'll get a token, 100 hp and 2k ISO, and you know it.
    I was on track for t5 in 1.9 and I expect absolutely nothing for compensation.
    Why should you expect nothing? Its a week long event, we've put in many hours to get where we are. This isn't a 2 or 3 day event. Its a 7 day event! They should take into account placing prior to the server going down and hand out rewards accordingly. 
    They won't.  Especially for placement rewards, they state projected earnings are hypothetical.  Which they are.  Which isn't to say I agree with the policy completely, but that's how it is.  At least in my experience.

Bowgentle said:
    If this was the first, second, or even fifth screw up, sure.
    After their 30th that excuse doesn't fly anymore.
    It might not be an excuse, still no reason for some people to go below the waistline
    I agree there's no need to be impolite.  But on the other hand, consider the players that made the commitment to play the game during the holidays, that discovered they couldn't, that lost what they'd been working for multiple hours for multiple days.

It's true that things do happen, especially over the holidays.  But as realistic and practical of an attitude as that is, this is hardly the first time such outages have occurred.  Whoever's in charge of budget allocation over there should understand that some players are unhappy with the result, and typically those are the players with a lot invested both in terms of time and money in this game.

It could cost a lot to comb through player data to find which players would *probably* and *possibly* have placed highly and hand out indvidual compensation.  Or it could cost a lot to have secondary backup systems in case of primary server outages.  But that's business.  Either one pays to do things fully and properly, or *doesn't* pay to do *everything* fully and properly, and either way there are consequences.

For my part personally, I tend to do things fully and properly.  But real talk, it costs a LOT more to do things that way, and businesses that don't keep expenses down tend not to remain in business.

But real talk again - there are costs with NOT doing things fully and properly too.  And yes, this is just another snag in one of many, and maybe players that were fighting for placement will just let it go again.  But maybe not.  At some point, player goodwill gets used up.  The more such incidents occur, the more it becomes less "if" and more "when".

. . . which isn't to say I think MPQ is doomed or whatever.  As Bowgentle wrote, this isn't the first time, and veterans that have seen this happen before (and veterans HAVE seen it before) probably just suck it up and keep going.  For now anyways.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    qandols said:
    Seems to be up again
    It is? Must be nice, living in Tuvalu. Still nothing, here.
    Having visited Tuvalu twice, I can say that it is not nice, living in Tuvalu.
  • LakeStone
    LakeStone Posts: 1,377 Community Moderator
    Thank you everyone for letting us know about the outage and we apologize about the connection issues earlier today. The team is out of the office today but we will be looking at what happened tomorrow and we will follow-up with everyone once the issue has been reviewed. We apologize for the inconvenience and thanks again for your patience.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    LakeStone said:
    Thank you everyone for letting us know about the outage and we apologize about the connection issues earlier today. The team is out of the office today but we will be looking at what happened tomorrow and we will follow-up with everyone once the issue has been reviewed. We apologize for the inconvenience and thanks again for your patience.
    Thank you for stepping into the snake pit, on your day off to boot.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Game down again
  • KenshinUK
    KenshinUK Posts: 91 Match Maker
    Argh just about to hit 900 points in the Angel pvp and boom connection issues. Now I have to wait to find out if I made it or get back into the game to find i've dropped 200 points or something. :(
  • Kilwrath
    Kilwrath Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    Down here too, gonna be tough to max this event now with two outages in less than 24 hours.
  • Hilk
    Hilk Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    edited January 2019
    LakeStone said:
    @LakeStone

Looks like it’s down again just before 4pm pacific

@Brigby

Anything Ng you can do is appreciated
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    I didn’t see anything earlier today, but am having issues now.
  • Vomit Fountain
    Vomit Fountain Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Can't connect again!  :(
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just came back up for me
  • Bubba3210
    Bubba3210 Posts: 246 Tile Toppler
    Still down for me.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Was up, now down again.