When does the license with Marvel/Disney expire for MPQ?

1235»

Comments

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    NeonBlue said:
    Tony_Foot said:
    It changes nothing for me. Never spend more on a time wasting mobile game than would upset you if the game shut down next week. People seem to be getting the knickers in a twist over a time frame you will never know the answer to. It's no more relevant to me than this time last year.

It's gonna end and no one will give you an official heads up. If you can't deal with that you shouldn't be spending money on a mobile match three game.
    People aren't just worried about the money they spent, but whether they should spend money moving forward. If there was a really good deal in-game that I would buy, but there were signs that the game would be on its last legs, I would reconsider. I think many others would as well.
    Again it’s no different to any other week in any other game. And again I will continue to spend an amount that won’t make me regret it if the game shuts next week. 

After 5 years I’m not sure what people expect.
  • NeonBlue
    NeonBlue Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    edited January 2019
    Tony_Foot said:
    NeonBlue said:
    Tony_Foot said:
    It changes nothing for me. Never spend more on a time wasting mobile game than would upset you if the game shut down next week. People seem to be getting the knickers in a twist over a time frame you will never know the answer to. It's no more relevant to me than this time last year.

It's gonna end and no one will give you an official heads up. If you can't deal with that you shouldn't be spending money on a mobile match three game.
    People aren't just worried about the money they spent, but whether they should spend money moving forward. If there was a really good deal in-game that I would buy, but there were signs that the game would be on its last legs, I would reconsider. I think many others would as well.
    Again it’s no different to any other week in any other game. And again I will continue to spend an amount that won’t make me regret it if the game shuts next week. 

But it's not. That's literally the point of this thread. If you're whole point is "haha I don't care 'cuz I don't spend any money" then fine, there's really nothing to say. However, the message of this thread is that because of possible decisions made by Disney in recent months to consolidate their IPs, the end of MPQ may be sooner than anticipated, and that may not even depend on anything the devs have control over (whether you actually agree with this is a different matter).

It's also not about spending a regrettable amount of money, it's about making informed decisions with the purchases you decide to make. If i set aside $30 a week for discretionary purchases, and I use the $30 to make a purchase in MPQ a week before it shuts down, I'd still regret not being able to enjoy what I purchased because I could have spent it on another form of entertainment.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    NeonBlue said:
    Tony_Foot said:
    NeonBlue said:
    Tony_Foot said:

But it's not. That's literally the point of this thread. If you're whole point is "haha I don't care 'cuz I don't spend any money" then fine, there's really nothing to say. However, the message of this thread is that because of possible decisions made by Disney in recent months to consolidate their IPs, the end of MPQ may be sooner than anticipated, and that may not even depend on anything the devs have control over (whether you actually agree with this is a different matter).

It's also not about spending a regrettable amount of money, it's about making informed decisions with the purchases you decide to make. If i set aside $30 a week for discretionary purchases, and I use the $30 to make a purchase in MPQ a week before it shuts down, I'd still regret not being able to enjoy what I purchased because I could have spent it on another form of entertainment.
    this is going to go around and around...

You cannot make an informed decision, because you will not be informed.  Full stop.  There is no more discussion needed, no argument you can make.  They lose everything by spreading that information, and gain nothing.  Why in the world would they do that?  Would you, if you were them?  If you say yes, you are either naive, too friendly, lying or some combination of all three.

And re-read what tony said.  "I will continue to spend an amount that won’t make me regret it if the game shuts next week."  If you set aside $30, and would regret it if MPQ shut down, then don't spend it.  Plain and simple.
  • NeonBlue
    NeonBlue Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    NeonBlue said:
    Tony_Foot said:
    NeonBlue said:
    Tony_Foot said:

You cannot make an informed decision, because you will not be informed.  Full stop.  There is no more discussion needed, no argument you can make.  They lose everything by spreading that information, and gain nothing.  Why in the world would they do that?  Would you, if you were them?  If you say yes, you are either naive, too friendly, lying or some combination of all three.

And re-read what tony said.  "I will continue to spend an amount that won’t make me regret it if the game shuts next week."  If you set aside $30, and would regret it if MPQ shut down, then don't spend it.  Plain and simple.
    1. Other games have given people a month or two heads up if the game plans to be shut down. Not saying MPQ will do that when the time comes, but they could. Obviously they're not going to cause a mass panic 6 months out, but it's not unheard of to tell the community ahead of time if that's the situation

2.I have read what he said. Reread what I said: "I'd still regret not being able to enjoy what I purchased because I could have spent it on another form of entertainment." Anyone would regret making a purchase just to lose it before they could use it. It has nothing to do with amount of money spent, unless you're the kind of rich where you don't care about lost or wasted money.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    NeonBlue said:
    NeonBlue said:
    Tony_Foot said:
    NeonBlue said:
    Tony_Foot said:

1. Other games have given people a month or two heads up if the game plans to be shut down. Not saying MPQ will do that when the time comes, but they could. Obviously they're not going to cause a mass panic 6 months out, but it's not unheard of to tell the community ahead of time if that's the situation

2.I have read what he said. Reread what I said: "I'd still regret not being able to enjoy what I purchased because I could have spent it on another form of entertainment." Anyone would regret making a purchase just to lose it before they could use it. It has nothing to do with amount of money spent, unless you're the kind of rich where you don't care about lost or wasted money.
    You have zero context to make that guess.  Those "other" games, were they D3 or Demiurge?   You may be right, but it's a) highly unlikely and b) not goimg to come from some random post on the forum.  You know how many people have speculated the demise of this game in 5 years?  This isnt the first thread asking this, and it won't be the last.

Argue all you want, but your 3rd word in the first quote and 13th word in the second is still "regret." 

If you would regret spending it, dont spend it.  It is super simple.  Stop making it harder than it needs to be.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/3/18167154/former-hearthstone-devs-marvel-game-second-dinner

Some more news of Marvel hiring other dev studios to make a game, so it seems like they are staying out of the development side. Former Hearthstone devs, so it is likely not a match 3 game to replace MPQ.
  • Neuromancer
    Neuromancer Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Interesting. Marvel Insider pulled all the MPQ activities from their Games category (they also pulled Battle Lines content). The only MPQ related link that remains is the HP reward for 300,000 Insider Points. Contest of Champions is still up.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,733 Chairperson of the Boards
    According to some comments I've seen, the publishers have nothing to do with what Marvel does on Insider in general.  Whether that indicates anything or not is an open question.  At least they still have a reward up.  

In general (like almost all the time), the MPQ Insider rewards being are offered are a 3* cover for 100,000 points or the 8500 HP for 300,000 points.  I'm assuming almost no one ever uses their points for a 3* cover.  I'm laughing as I type this thinking about the poor noob who does.....

So maybe all they are doing is removing a reward that no one ever buys.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've seen that happen on Insider before. Sometimes they'll have 3* Cap or Iron Man available as rewards, and sometimes 3* Spidey. Very occasionally a 4* (Taskmaster was up for a bit, and I think some combination of Ant-Man/Wasp/Ghost was up during that movie's release). And sometimes activities for placing so high in an event, or just downloading the game.

But all those come and go. So sometimes it's just the 300,000 point 8500HP reward (which seems to be the only one that doesn't go away... probably because it's a "once a lifetime" award, and if it goes away and comes back, someone who has another 300k points could earn it again)

So I wouldn't say Insider removing MPQ stuff is out of the ordinary. Because they've done it for years. They'll come back at some point. And then go away again. It's just one of those things.
  • tph_james
    tph_james Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
    R169 release note is one week due
  • SymmeTrey
    SymmeTrey Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    I also see the “download this new game” activity is gone for MPQ, but, it’s gone for all games, including Contest of Champions. I can’t believe anyone ever bought the 3* cover for 100k. 
  • Chrynos1989
    Chrynos1989 Posts: 328 Mover and Shaker
    Seriously, Nexon just released a new marvel game 6 month ago, you really think Disney gives a new license to nexon and then 3 weeks later goes like, let’s stomp them all in. Also if you look at mobile games, there is not one Marvel game made by Disney itself, only two starwars games and lots of Disney movie games
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Judging from the new app icon, MPQ is about to be Doomed.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    About every 6 months we get one of these IS MPQ DOOMED??? threads and this feels right on schedule.
    See you at the 6th anniversary. 
    gravel said:
    So if we're Doomed now, what are we going to be by 6th Anniversary?

Kanged? Mephistoed? Dormammu'd? 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc said:
    Dormammu said:
    About every 6 months we get one of these IS MPQ DOOMED??? threads and this feels right on schedule.
    See you at the 6th anniversary. 
    gravel said:
    So if we're Doomed now, what are we going to be by 6th Anniversary?

Kanged? Mephistoed? Dormammu'd? 
    Let's just hope we don't end up in Fin Fang Foom's pants.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Annihilused.

Though I would personally prefer to be Mole Manned.
  • cschwinge
    cschwinge Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    I think everyone knows that a shutdown announcement (whenever it comes) will signal an end to 95-99% of the revenue for this game.

However, a shutdown announcement that includes a "monty haul" period (say, 2-3 months) could be pretty fun for the population that doesn't have a full 5-star roster, and might generate some more revenue. IE, a $20 pack that includes 10k HP, 1M ISO and 100 heroics, LL and LTs