When does the license with Marvel/Disney expire for MPQ?

New_Doug
New_Doug Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
I'm asking for a friend.

Comments

• New_Doug
    This friend says that Marvel/Disney is shutting down all licensing agreements once they expire so they can start their own line of games. Spider-man Unlimited is getting shutdown because of this. My friend is wondering how much time MPQ has left?
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh, so you're shutting down MPQ? 
    In my dream...actually, it's not even my dream, it's a friend of mine's dream.
    Oh, somebody else's dream.
  • New_Doug
    I think it would be ethical before people spend any money on the (likely) upcoming sales or digital day to be told whether or not the game will be going bye bye in the not to distant future.
  • Dax317
    Dax317 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    @Brigby some guidance here please. Sooner rather than later.
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Yup, this is running rampant today and I think the player base deserves at the very least, transparency. @Brigby, @IceIX

Revenue will crash if this isn’t addressed in some way, assuming it isn’t true.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    You may want to try contacting Marvel legal department instead.  They would probably be more willing or able to share that information
  • New_Doug
    edited December 2018
    Spider-Man Unlimited is also continuing into 2019. Then in late February or early March then POOF it's gone so.....
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Spiderman unlimited probably got it’s license not renewed because it wasn’t making money. Not the other way around. Marvel/ Disney kinda left the game development side after Disney infinity closed, and with Square Enix and insomniac developing other games they aren’t closing for licensing reasons. 
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. We are unable to go into detail about any agreements we have with our partners, however you can all rest assured that our contract is not ending soon, and we are excited for lots of new features and content in 2019.
    Do you mean soon™️?  LOL. 

In all seriousness, there is a lot of people talking about this today because of the news with these other games. Just concerning on the future and how this would be addressed to the player base. 
  • AoA
    AoA Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    I know nothing about nothing and this is literally my first post after lurking for years....
    but don't forget Marvel shut down Avengers Alliance 1 and 2 at the same time with ONE MONTH NOTICE in 2016.
    This was around the same time that Disney Infinity was done.
    AA1 had run for 4 years and AA2 had only run for 6 mos.  AA2 was very similar to the current Strike Force.

The second Disney decides they're not making enough money, the game will be gone and by history, it would not be shocking if it was with little notice.

• jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2018
    Straycat said:
    Spiderman unlimited probably got it’s license not renewed because it wasn’t making money.
      I've got no clue to why this happened to SMU but my two cents is that this is a Gameloft issue.  I played both Minion Rush and Spiderman Unlimited with them for a long time and all of a sudden they basically revamped the in game currency in both games: which angered a lot of people/players and caused lots of people to quit both games (It would be similar to if  D3 decided to say Hero Points and Purple ISO are no longer used and a new kind of currency was needed to buy rosters slots and level up characters).  I'm not sure if they did this because they wanted to get one last cash grab before losing their license or they just made a bad decision, on both games, and are not willing/can't afford to keep up their licensing for it.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    MPQ has probably  been the most flexible with Disney if I had to guess. Not only that gave the marvel verse cap peggy carter. That's probably a  huge amount of good faith
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Considering all the Disney-branded products out there, I would guess Disney doesn’t care at all as long as the residual checks clear...
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the Marvel/Disney license are based on renewable basis, and not a perpetual license. Probably either or both parties decided not to renew the contract.

Gameloft just acquired another game company a few days back, so they are probably shifting resources to other games. Spider-Man Unlimited is probably one of their games (~178 games) that ranks at the bottom of profit making game. 

As for Demiurge, MPQ is one of their top projects. 

I don't see how Marvel is going to reveal P&C corporate contract to outsiders. It's probably a waste of time asking them.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,733 Chairperson of the Boards
    No one that knows about any of this will tell you anything until the end.  The rumor, which seems to be coming from a reliable source, is that Disney wants to be developing the games with their properties in them.  So as those agreements end, they will not renew them. If we see more of this type of announcement moving forwards, that will probably be a good indicator. So maybe the MPQ licensing agreement is 2 or 3 or 5 years, who knows? Who knows when it was signed and ends?  No one who knows will tell you, since the game’s business model requires you to be willing to spend money for the purpose of acquiring resources that will help (or be fun) as you play the game in the future. 

Anyway, it could well be that the current contract expires after 2019.

By the way, a look at the App Store ranking yesterday shows SMU at #115 or so.  It’s not a failing game, they make updates about once a month and just added new story and characters 3 days ago.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    Daredevil was a laughing stock as a Marvel property in the mainstream after the Affleck/Evanescence movie. They let Netflix have their way with him and “Daredevil” became a critically acclaimed series that in my mind did wonders for the superhero genre and for the character and Marvel’s image (allowing it to have a darker corner of the universe). The series was loved and likely doing well.

Disney yanked it.

Has nothing to do with how successful
    it is. It’s all about the Mouse wanting control. After that, I can’t trust that they won’t do the same for MPQ, which I imagine is way less important than that Netflix series. The day it all comes crashing down will be a very sad one for me. I LOVE this game. 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daredevil was a laughing stock as a Marvel property in the mainstream after the Affleck/Evanescence movie. They let Netflix have their way with him and “Daredevil” became a critically acclaimed series that in my mind did wonders for the superhero genre and for the character and Marvel’s image (allowing it to have a darker corner of the universe). The series was loved and likely doing well.

Disney yanked it.

Has nothing to do with how successful
    it is. It’s all about the Mouse wanting control. After that, I can’t trust that they won’t do the same for MPQ, which I imagine is way less important than that Netflix series. The day it all comes crashing down will be a very sad one for me. I LOVE this game. 
    Except that's the opposite of what actually happened, because Netflix canceled the show, not Marvel, not Disney. They have openly stated so themselves, and there's zero reason for them to take the blame if Disney is behind the decision.
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2018
    The rumor definitely puts me in a weird pickle as far as spending. I’m not a whale by any means but spend rather liberally. 

I’ll have to see how I feel moving forward.