When does the license with Marvel/Disney expire for MPQ?

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc said:
    Daredevil was a laughing stock as a Marvel property in the mainstream after the Affleck/Evanescence movie. They let Netflix have their way with him and “Daredevil” became a critically acclaimed series that in my mind did wonders for the superhero genre and for the character and Marvel’s image (allowing it to have a darker corner of the universe). The series was loved and likely doing well.

Disney yanked it.

Has nothing to do with how successful
    it is. It’s all about the Mouse wanting control. After that, I can’t trust that they won’t do the same for MPQ, which I imagine is way less important than that Netflix series. The day it all comes crashing down will be a very sad one for me. I LOVE this game. 
    Except that's the opposite of what actually happened, because Netflix canceled the show, not Marvel, not Disney. They have openly stated so themselves, and there's zero reason for them to take the blame if Disney is behind the decision.
    Actually, nobody really knows who pulled the trigger regardless of what anybody is saying publicly. Daredevil was apparently Netflix 4th highest watched show with viewing figures of 30million. Then there is this to the Hollywood Reporter from an interview with Kevin Mayer, a man directly involved with Disney+

HR: Would you consider reviving the Marvel shows that Netflix canceled?

KM: They are very high-quality shows. We haven't yet discussed that, but I would say that's a possibility.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kevin-mayer-disneys-fox-acquisition-new-streaming-service-1169862 

So if any of the above is true, why would Netflix hand over such a successful show to a new rival, especially as it would bring with it an audience who might not be hardcore Marvel fans?

None of it makes any sense.

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    jtsings said:
    Straycat said:
    Spiderman unlimited probably got it’s license not renewed because it wasn’t making money.
      I've got no clue to why this happened to SMU but my two cents is that this is a Gameloft issue.  I played both Minion Rush and Spiderman Unlimited with them for a long time and all of a sudden they basically revamped the in game currency in both games:
    I was enjoying SMU a lot until they made that change.  I tried to play thru it a little but lost interest. It would be like if d3 cover and level maxed all characters you had rostered, but made all other characters 10x harder to cover. And took all your hoarded cp into now useless iso.
  • Rio_d
    Rio_d Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Daredevil was a laughing stock as a Marvel property in the mainstream after the Affleck/Evanescence movie. They let Netflix have their way with him and “Daredevil” became a critically acclaimed series that in my mind did wonders for the superhero genre and for the character and Marvel’s image (allowing it to have a darker corner of the universe). The series was loved and likely doing well.

Disney yanked it.

it is. It’s all about the Mouse wanting control. After that, I can’t trust that they won’t do the same for MPQ, which I imagine is way less important than that Netflix series. The day it all comes crashing down will be a very sad one for me. I LOVE this game. 
    Disney didn't yank Daredevil, Fox stopped making movies so they lost the license. It's why we got that horrible Fantastic Four movie, so Fox could keep the license. Fox's licensing deal with Marvel requiremes them to produce a film on the property every 5 years. Hence the Andrew Garfield Spider Man movies at Sony, they had the same deal. It's why Ghost Rider, Daredevil, and Punisher all came back. They weren't "yanked" they lapsed.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Mouse probably snapped his fingers....
  • randomhero1090
    ....and now the game is down.

:-X
  • DAZ0273
    Now you've done it...

• Rio_d
    DAZ0273 said:
    JHawkInc said:

Disney yanked it.

Except that's the opposite of what actually happened, because Netflix canceled the show, not Marvel, not Disney. They have openly stated so themselves, and there's zero reason for them to take the blame if Disney is behind the decision.
    Actually, nobody really knows who pulled the trigger regardless of what anybody is saying publicly. Daredevil was apparently Netflix 4th highest watched show with viewing figures of 30million. Then there is this to the Hollywood Reporter from an interview with Kevin Mayer, a man directly involved with Disney+

KM: They are very high-quality shows. We haven't yet discussed that, but I would say that's a possibility.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kevin-mayer-disneys-fox-acquisition-new-streaming-service-1169862 

So if any of the above is true, why would Netflix hand over such a successful show to a new rival, especially as it would bring with it an audience who might not be hardcore Marvel fans?

Netflix was paying 100% of the budget on those shows. They no longer wanted to give money to their direct competition, contract negotiations were forth coming for the stars starting on season 4 and they undoubtedly wouldve asked for more money. Netflix didn't want to pay them anymore so they cut the show since they don't "own" the properties.
  • DAZ0273
    Rio_d said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    JHawkInc said:

Disney yanked it.

Netflix was paying 100% of the budget on those shows. They no longer wanted to give money to their direct competition, contract negotiations were forth coming for the stars starting on season 4 and they undoubtedly wouldve asked for more money. Netflix didn't want to pay them anymore so they cut the show since they don't "own" the properties.
    Quite possibly true and maybe Netflix has something lined up already which they think is even better. It wouldn't be the first time a TV company made a bone headed mistake over a successful show *cough* Angel *cough*

Still - there are lots of stories about how the whole thing is not quite what it seems and that Marvel did have a hand in influencing Netflix, however that might be.

Don't know, we probably never will.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,733 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why would Disney want to share profits from a game using their characters?  That’s also a legit question.  They neither publish nor develop this game. 

The player who brought all this is in a position to have solid information. This isn’t a bunch of random nonsense.
  • DAZ0273
    Predicting what Disney will do is not easy.

For example when they purchased LucasArts they immediately cancelled the then in development Star Wars 1313 and shut down the company. Many presumed that they would therefore be moving into the games market directly. However instead they licensed out the franchise for the two Star Wars: Battlefront games via EA.
  • Straycat
    I feel like comparisons between the Netflix shows and games are apples and oranges.

Disney is developing its own streaming service with plans to have shows featuring the MCU Loki and Scarlet Witch (and potentially others). It makes sense that they would be cutting ties with competitors for that, or making those deals so unappetizing that Netflix would want to cancel.

Unless Disney is planning to develop their own match-3 game, there's no reason to be in a rush to shut down MPQ. As long as this remains profitable for them, why would they want to make the investment to reinvent the wheel?
    I went back to the OP and it says Disney would be starting its own game development, so if thats true then I guess I would be concerned. But I tried looking up any news about Disney going back into game development, and couldn't find anything. Found news that Disney is partnering with Jam city for a Frozen 2 game, and the article specifically mentions Disney is not developing games anymore.

• Rio_d
    Licensing agreements protect both parties licensors can't just "yank" properties from licensees. If that were the case do you think we would have a joint Sony Marvel Spider Man movie? What's more likely for the other game is that Disney asked more for the license at the negotiations for the new agreement and the other company couldn't afford to pay it.
  • randomhero1090
    DAZ0273 said:

For example when they purchased LucasArts they immediately cancelled the then in development Star Wars 1313 and shut down the company. Many presumed that they would therefore be moving into the games market directly. However instead they licensed out the franchise for the two Star Wars: Battlefront games via EA.
    Not that many game engines out there, and if you don't want to build your own, you end up having to license out one.  Look at when many of these game engines were created as well.  It's not easy to build one from scratch.  They usually just evolve.  So it only makes sense that Disney outsourced a game to a major studio for a major game launch.  Or vise versa, EA approached Disney to launch a major game with Disney content and Disney said, sure, we will take the check since we aren't going to build a game from scratch.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 said:

Not that many game engines out there, and if you don't want to build your own, you end up having to license out one.  Look at when many of these game engines were created as well.  It's not easy to build one from scratch.  They usually just evolve.  So it only makes sense that Disney outsourced a game to a major studio for a major game launch.  Or vise versa, EA approached Disney to launch a major game with Disney content and Disney said, sure, we will take the check since we aren't going to build a game from scratch.

Yeah but they had just purchased a company with an existing games development arm and a history of successful Star Wars games (as well as others such as Monkey Island) which already had its own game engine. For some reason though Disney didn't fancy it and that was the end of that.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018

Disney yanked it.

Actually it has come out that Netflix is the one who decided to end the series, not Marvel. Now they saw the writing on the wall with Disney's own streaming platform, however, they had the rights to continue making these series for some time still so it truly was Netflix making this decision, albeit looking forward.  We will see if it was a good decision or not. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rio_d said:

Disney yanked it.

Disney didn't yank Daredevil, Fox stopped making movies so they lost the license. It's why we got that horrible Fantastic Four movie, so Fox could keep the license. Fox's licensing deal with Marvel requiremes them to produce a film on the property every 5 years. Hence the Andrew Garfield Spider Man movies at Sony, they had the same deal. It's why Ghost Rider, Daredevil, and Punisher all came back. They weren't "yanked" they lapsed.
    You’re talking about when Fox had the rights and  made the awful movie. Which I agree with. Disney wasn’t even in the picture at that time. What I’m saying is that once Marvel got the rights back, they gave essentially a “throw away” character to Netflix and the Netflix series made him matter again. His series was profitable and critically acclaimed. Fans loved it. It’s not like the series sucked or was failing by any metric. But Disney is starting their own streaming service and wants all Marvel content on THEIR brand. 

All of a sudden, we have rumors that Disney is getting into the game development arena and their games developed by other companies are shutting down faster than Thanos can snap his fingers. The comparison is actually apples to apples. IF the reason Daredevil was shut down had nothing to do with how successful it was and is all about Disney wanting their property on their new streaming service, then it stands to reason that if they are going into game development, they will want all of their properties in-house as well. It’s not a stretch at all considering what Is happening with other games. It doesn’t matter how profitable/successful MPQ is. Same with the Netflix corner of the MCU. If they want complete control in development, then that’s it. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think everyone will know what's going to happen if more Marvel game titles are shutting down one by one.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    Would explain why they don't give a stuff about regular balances and somehow sorting out the 3 to 4* transition and champion rewards. Just keep pumping out the four stars until the game dies or gets shut down.
  • Straycat
    I think everyone will know what's going to happen if more Marvel game titles are shutting down one by one.
    What have closed so far? Spiderman unlimited and Avengers Academy i know, anything else?