Server Maintenance at 11:00 am EDT, 5/16/2014

Options
We are taking the servers down for some emergency maintenance today at 11:00am EDT.

We expect the maintenance to take a few hours and will message here when they are back up.

Thanks for your patience!

The post in the announcement forums does not allow us to express our genuine, heartfelt appreciation for all of D3's transparency during these difficult times. Allow me to do so here.

Thank you for acting like responsible adults and acknowledging a problem instead of immaturely and inexplicably ignoring it in the face of repeated queries from your paying customers (and me). The sunlight you have spread on the issue today is so much more effective than some infuriatingly cryptic message that says "We know there is a problem but we're not competent enough to acknowledge and apologize for the outrage we have caused by indefensibly ignoring it for more than 36 hours." No doubt this will go down as a textbook example of flawless customer and community relations. Go ahead and promote yourselves to Executive Vice Presidents immediately.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the written word for its unfailing ability to convey nuance on the internet!

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Honestly, first the entire event gets screwed point wise, top 10 both events and grind every node to 1 shouldn't be top 75, second, they don't even give out the awards for more then 24, soon to be 36, hours, and finally, they just decide to not even post apologizing to their player base for the delays, or even for the blatant disregard concerning, what I'm sure is, numerous posts all targeted towards the missing awards and silent treatment.

Just feels like a slap in the face at this point.
  • Unknown
    Options
    This is a little cynical of me but to do something like this after the fact (its been close to 3 days) is more so damage control. We'll see how their real response after the maintenance.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I know right?, this will go into the annals of history as one of the best examples of the finest customer support ever, specially when they announced the emergency maintenance, that announce is an example of keeping your customers happy, it was truly a smooth text with soothing effects, the wording is impressive, covering almost every topic and worry out there in an elegante yet personal fashion. I'm impressive at the support of this company considering I have put some money on this game, that surely makes me feel safe and rewarded when I put more money in the future.
  • radiopy
    radiopy Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Devils advocate: what if they have NO IDEA what's causing it, can't post in game, and don't want to simply post "no idea what's going on guys, sorry"? I admit, there should be some acknowledgement, but they are typically pretty good with communication...after the fact. Keep in mind these are software developers not marketers.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I would also like to thank d3p for not only scheduling the downtime at a time when many players have scheduled their lunch breaks, but notifying us a generous 15 minutes beforehand
  • Unknown
    Options
    You couldn't have posted this in-game, so we didn't get caught with our shields down? Who do I talk to when I miss it going back up and lose all my Heavy Metal points because my shields were down when maintenance started?
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If all the heroes and villains are wearing soccer jerseys when the servers come back up, then we'll have some idea of what happened.
  • Unknown
    Options
    radiopy wrote:
    Devils advocate: what if they have NO IDEA what's causing it, can't post in game, and don't want to simply post "no idea what's going on guys, sorry"? I admit, there should be some acknowledgement, but they are typically pretty good with communication...after the fact. Keep in mind these are software developers not marketers.

If they didn't know what was causing it, then i would have bigger concerns for the game. Especially when people are pumping money into this game, the developers should be competent enough to debug/troubleshoot any issues that arise. You have to realize for developers they *SHOULD* go through the process of testing their versions before pushing it out. If the case was that they pushed out a version that had bugs in it then they didn't do their due diligence. In the end this is a business, dollars speak words and the fact that a lot of people are unhappy and buying less HP is more important than a couple guys not getting their UBER dakens.
  • Tredo
    Tredo Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Options
    radiopy wrote:

You made a good point, but it still doesn't excuse this behavior. It's a simple matter for the developers to put themselves in our shoes. All they needed to do was ask themselves if they would like to know that the issue was being looked at if they were the customers. This is really poor customer service and should not be happening. Ignoring a problem will not make it go away. Ignoring your customers WILL make them go away.

That said, I'm hoping the fix works and everything gets back on track. I love this game and hope to be playing for some time. But, it won't take many more incidents like this to make me lose interest.
  • Unknown
    Options
    You always communicate, always, just saying we acknoledge the problem and a short description will do it. It doesnt matter if they dont know how to fix it, usually you dont know how to fix a problem when it happens, thats why it happens in first place.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I know it's emergency server maintenance but I would have liked to have more than 16 minutes notice of server closure
  • Unknown
    Options
    They should put a 3-hour shield on everyone in any PVP that they weren't already shielded in when it comes back up. Because they have no idea when it will come back up, so everyone is potentially screwed.
  • Unknown
    Options
    SamBC wrote:
    You couldn't have posted this in-game, so we didn't get caught with our shields down? Who do I talk to when I miss it going back up and lose all my Heavy Metal points because my shields were down when maintenance started?

It's an emergency damnit! There is no way any more warning could be given without DIRE repercussions!

On a separate note every time i've ever spoken to D3's customer service and they have been completely useless til I complain more at them they always thank me for my patience. I didn't realise I was such a patient person THEN I realised... "thank you for your patience" REALLY means "We are deeply incompetent but are not allowed to say sorry so please accept my heartfelt apologies". Since I worked that coded message out customer service replies and dev posts in general have irritated me a lot less icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    My shield JUST expired right before the servers went down, now I'm going to be a sitting duck with 950+ points icon_e_sad.gif when they come back online unless I'm CONTINUOUSLY checking the game every 3 minutes for the next 4 hours? I HAVE A JOB PEOPLE!!!
  • Unknown
    edited May 2014
    Options
    bonfire01 wrote:
    SamBC wrote:

It's an emergency damnit! There is no way any more warning could be given without DIRE repercussions!

On a separate note every time i've ever spoken to D3's customer service and they have been completely useless til I complain more at them they always thank me for my patience. I didn't realise I was such a patient person THEN I realised... "thank you for your patience" REALLY means "We are deeply incompetent but are not allowed to say sorry so please accept my heartfelt apologies". Since I worked that coded message out customer service replies and dev posts in general have irritated me a lot less icon_mrgreen.gif

sounds like you're qualified to work for d3 bonfire, since you have a lot of patience.

y2gAK3q.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thank you ElectroBlast. At least he/she is doing the humane thing.
  • Unknown
    Options
    TropicYeo wrote:
    sounds like you're qualified to work for d3 bonfire!

y2gAK3q.gif

That might be the most terrible thing ANYONE has ever said to me.... at least compare me to Hitler or something so I can feel better about myself....
  • radiopy
    radiopy Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Heil Hydra!
  • Unknown
    Options
    bonfire01 wrote:

That might be the most terrible thing ANYONE has ever said to me.... at least compare me to Hitler or something so I can feel better about myself....

Ufbr5ej.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    Dslyexic wrote:
    Honestly, first the entire event gets screwed point wise, top 10 both events and grind every node to 1 shouldn't be top 75, second, they don't even give out the awards for more then 24, soon to be 36, hours, and finally, they just decide to not even post apologizing to their player base for the delays, or even for the blatant disregard concerning, what I'm sure is, numerous posts all targeted towards the missing awards and silent treatment.

Out of interest, did you grind the nodes in main one time or 3 times like the others?