MPQ Winter Holidays Celebration! *Updated (12/31/18)

Options

Comments

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    Options
    tiomono said:
    tiomono said:
    JHawkInc said:
    This Spider-Ham release has "Naughty List" written all over it.

I cannot express myself further without triggering a word filter.

At least you delivered the disappointment two weeks in advance so we know not to get our hopes up. (seriously, new Sinister 600 event, Spider-Verse tie-ins, you finally are trying to fix busted 5's, and then, what, decided you needed to balance the scales by doing everything in your power to make the Spider-Ham release miserable? so people will feel compelled to compete for a Limited character during Christmas, the one damn time of the year they shouldn't be playing this game?)
    Meh, not everyone celebrates Christmas. I know that may be shocking. The world is an amazingly diverse place. Not even all Christian's celebrate Christmas.

So why should this time of the year be the one time players shouldn't play?
    Not that it matters but the Devs surely aren’t working that day so why have a new release then.. just to play devils advocate.
    Who knows. It's too easy to get confused or upset when we try and logic out patterns of dev thinking. It seems we as players put more thought into the timing and usefulness of the game then the devs do. But that's probably just confirmation bias.

Thats cause the devs dont play their game so dont understand how much time we as players actually spend on it each day. Its not a 2 minute hobby. 
    I would be willing to say that some of them play the game. How competitively? I dont know. But they play and they understand the time players put in. 

@JHawkInc
    What's so bad about spiderham being limited? If he was not limited I'm sure there would be people complaining about that too. He is a silly character. Not all people want to deal with silly all the time. But some enjoy it. 

Also my limited characters pretty much keep up with regular ones due to dilution. Except for bagman.

Is this a game that is played around the world? If so there will always be chunks of players that will have different availability during different events. That does not seem like a huge deal to me. Others may disagree and that's fine. It just irks me when someone acts like their view is the only valid one. I'm not trying to say that Christmas is not a big thing to a lot of people. It's just also not a big thing to a lot of people.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think it's played by people around the world. From Google Playstore:

App is available in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese, and Korean.

• DavidAmaquelin
    DavidAmaquelin Posts: 43 Just Dropped In
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Lots of characters to release... but they choose a dupe and a joke... 

OK, I know people like to moan but do you really want to own this statement? I may have missed some, however this is what we got in 2018:

America Chavez

Kraven

Shuri

Valkyrie

Jubilee

Ghost

Wiccan

Jessica Jones

Okoye

Dazzler

Domino

Cable

Bishop

Emma Frost

Prowler

Kitty Pryde

Nebula

Taskmaster

So that means we have had Black Panther, Ghost Rider, Infinity War Spider-man, Infinity War Cap, Infinity War Widow, Loki, Kingpin and Spider-ham as dupes. Oh and Wasp…That is basically a 2:1 ratio.

And as nearly all of the dupes are tied into movies which no doubt required mandated character releases, it is likely there was little wriggle room. The rest are chock filled with fan favourites/requested. Complain if you want but c’mon, don’t you think you are being a bit pedantic here?

Maybe two words missing in my post..

"FOR CHRISTMAS"

What i wanted to say is that at least for me, i expected new characters for christmas time. We had dupes all the year, and i am fed up with them.Maybe we needed something new and desired these days.

If you like these characters,good for you but I will keep on complaining every time they release a dupe. That's good that for you this makes me being a "pedant"...

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,866 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:

OK, I know people like to moan but do you really want to own this statement? I may have missed some, however this is what we got in 2018:

America Chavez

Kraven

Shuri

Valkyrie

Jubilee

Ghost

Wiccan

Jessica Jones

Okoye

Dazzler

Domino

Cable

Bishop

Emma Frost

Prowler

Kitty Pryde

Nebula

Taskmaster

So that means we have had Black Panther, Ghost Rider, Infinity War Spider-man, Infinity War Cap, Infinity War Widow, Loki, Kingpin and Spider-ham as dupes. Oh and Wasp…That is basically a 2:1 ratio.

And as nearly all of the dupes are tied into movies which no doubt required mandated character releases, it is likely there was little wriggle room. The rest are chock filled with fan favourites/requested. Complain if you want but c’mon, don’t you think you are being a bit pedantic here?

"FOR CHRISTMAS"

What i wanted to say is that at least for me, i expected new characters for christmas time. We had dupes all the year, and i am fed up with them.Maybe we needed something new and desired these days.

If you like these characters,good for you but I will keep on complaining every time they release a dupe. That's good that for you this makes me being a "pedant"...

But we didn't have "dupes" all year. I count 9 releases with an existing link to an MPQ character out of 27 and out of those 9, 2 of those are variants so technically new characters (Wasp and Spider-Ham):

a.) Who else were they going to release for a Black Panther movie other than BP? We also got Shuri. Killmonger? I guess so but they probably HAD to release BP.
    b.) I guess for Infinity War they could have released Mantis? Who else? Almost certain that some of the big guns were mandated and we still got Okoye.
    c.) Hope Van Dyne IS a new character so we actually got 100% new releases for Ant-man & Wasp. They didn't even release Ant-man as a 5* dupe which they could have.
    d.) 3 releases for Into the Spider-Verse and only one is an actual dupe as Spider-ham is a variant and Prowler brand new.

So that leaves 5* Loki who is the movie version and to my understanding highly requested and uhm Ghost Rider - well you got me there.

Everybody else is an original character release.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,866 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think it's played by people around the world. From Google Playstore:

App is available in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese, and Korean.

We also have had players on here that have identified themselves as being as far flung as Australia to Brazil via Africa.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tiomono said:
    tiomono said:
    tiomono said:
    JHawkInc said:

At least you delivered the disappointment two weeks in advance so we know not to get our hopes up. (seriously, new Sinister 600 event, Spider-Verse tie-ins, you finally are trying to fix busted 5's, and then, what, decided you needed to balance the scales by doing everything in your power to make the Spider-Ham release miserable? so people will feel compelled to compete for a Limited character during Christmas, the one damn time of the year they shouldn't be playing this game?)
    Meh, not everyone celebrates Christmas. I know that may be shocking. The world is an amazingly diverse place. Not even all Christian's celebrate Christmas.

Not that it matters but the Devs surely aren’t working that day so why have a new release then.. just to play devils advocate.
    Who knows. It's too easy to get confused or upset when we try and logic out patterns of dev thinking. It seems we as players put more thought into the timing and usefulness of the game then the devs do. But that's probably just confirmation bias.

Thats cause the devs dont play their game so dont understand how much time we as players actually spend on it each day. Its not a 2 minute hobby. 
    I would be willing to say that some of them play the game. How competitively? I dont know. But they play and they understand the time players put in. 

@JHawkInc
    What's so bad about spiderham being limited? If he was not limited I'm sure there would be people complaining about that too. He is a silly character. Not all people want to deal with silly all the time. But some enjoy it. 

Also my limited characters pretty much keep up with regular ones due to dilution. Except for bagman.

Is this a game that is played around the world? If so there will always be chunks of players that will have different availability during different events. That does not seem like a huge deal to me. Others may disagree and that's fine. It just irks me when someone acts like their view is the only valid one. I'm not trying to say that Christmas is not a big thing to a lot of people. It's just also not a big thing to a lot of people.
    Gwen pool is a silly character but she isn’t limited. 
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tiomono said:
    tiomono said:
    tiomono said:
    JHawkInc said:

@JHawkInc

Gwen pool is a silly character but she isn’t limited. 
    Good point. Limited is just kind of weird. I would be ok with no limited but they are making that pretty clear that's not going to happen.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,268 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm pretty baffled by the strategy with Limited characters - why a single 1*, single 2*, and 4(!) at the 4* tier, none at 5*? To be fair, I would be pretty bummed about a limited 5* since they are basically all limited to me lol. 

I actually like the goofier characters. I remember when 5* Ock came out I was like "YEEEEEEESSSSS, the dumb Roy Orbison art!" I was really hoping that was going to be the place where all the really silly classic looks were going to live
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm pretty baffled by the strategy with Limited characters - why a single 1*, single 2*, and 4(!) at the 4* tier, none at 5*? To be fair, I would be pretty bummed about a limited 5* since they are basically all limited to me lol. 

I actually like the goofier characters. I remember when 5* Ock came out I was like "YEEEEEEESSSSS, the dumb Roy Orbison art!" I was really hoping that was going to be the place where all the really silly classic looks were going to live
    Helps with 4* dilution if new characters are limited... thats my conspiracy theory

But thank you for the Doc Ock Rebalance! Much needed and much appreciated.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,507 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yelena and Bagman = characters you would never use, nor roster if they weren't "Limited"....and Bagman gives that LT, so of course you roster him if you can.

In the 4 tier, they are mostly silly (Taskmaster is not silly, though) and/or "Anniversary" characters.

Limited characters don't dilute your token pool.  Maybe that's good, maybe that's bad (can't pull them).

(note:  I borrowed math from another player on Discord for the following):
    Now, Spider-Ham is supposed to be limited like Howard is limited.  Currently that means one free cover in an event (assuming you can complete the PVE nodes, and they repeat that model) to the tune of about 7/year (that is about how often events repeat), as well as the occasional vault (Anniversary only, maybe).

Compare that to normal characters.

If you pulled 1 LT per day and play to progression (both PVE and PVP), you'll get about 7 covers per Vintage 4 in a year.  Less than 1 per year (0.476) from PVE because the cycle is so long.  1.9577 per year from PVP, as it comes close to 2 available per year.  4.7 from Legendary pulls (assuming even distribution, 85% 4's.  Also, this number will continually drop as 4's are added to tokens, diluting your pulls).

If you pull 3 LTs per day (the average rate which was needed before to cover a 5, with swaps), you end up with about 16 covers per Vintage.

If you are averaging 5 (very high end rosters), you'll get about 26 covers per Vintage.

Depending on how you look at it, for players of medium engagement, you might get more "Limited" character covers than some Vintage 4's.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,268 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bluewolf said:

Depending on how you look at it, for players of medium engagement, you might get more "Limited" character covers than some Vintage 4's.
    I definitely don't want that to be true, but for me it kind of is true. While certainly not my most-covered 4*s, after this past anniversary (and the current webbed wonder) my Howard will be at 13 covers with 6 saved, and my Devil D is 5/2/5 with 6 saved. My best covered 4* is Rogue at 292, so neither is close to being my "best," but I have loads of 4*s with less covers than that for sure.
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Really?!
    Will this be the end of Norman Osborn's Dark Reign?

Is no one else curious about this?
    Are we finally moving away from the dark avengers being the only baddies we fight?!
    Or just the last of new PVE...
  • The rockett
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    Yelena and Bagman = characters you would never use, nor roster if they weren't "Limited"....and Bagman gives that LT, so of course you roster him if you can.

In the 4 tier, they are mostly silly (Taskmaster is not silly, though) and/or "Anniversary" characters.

Limited characters don't dilute your token pool.  Maybe that's good, maybe that's bad (can't pull them).

(note:  I borrowed math from another player on Discord for the following):
    Now, Spider-Ham is supposed to be limited like Howard is limited.  Currently that means one free cover in an event (assuming you can complete the PVE nodes, and they repeat that model) to the tune of about 7/year (that is about how often events repeat), as well as the occasional vault (Anniversary only, maybe).

Compare that to normal characters.

If you pulled 1 LT per day and play to progression (both PVE and PVP), you'll get about 7 covers per Vintage 4 in a year.  Less than 1 per year (0.476) from PVE because the cycle is so long.  1.9577 per year from PVP, as it comes close to 2 available per year.  4.7 from Legendary pulls (assuming even distribution, 85% 4's.  Also, this number will continually drop as 4's are added to tokens, diluting your pulls).

If you pull 3 LTs per day (the average rate which was needed before to cover a 5, with swaps), you end up with about 16 covers per Vintage.

If you are averaging 5 (very high end rosters), you'll get about 26 covers per Vintage.

But this doesn’t take account rewards in PVE/Boss/Raid/Sim/PVP. So you would get more covers. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:

America Chavez

Kraven

Shuri

Valkyrie

Jubilee

Ghost

Wiccan

Jessica Jones

Okoye

Dazzler

Domino

Cable

Bishop

Emma Frost

Prowler

Kitty Pryde

Nebula

Taskmaster

"FOR CHRISTMAS"

Probably not too many people that want to spend Christmas grinding for top placement.
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Options
    shardwick said:
    DAZ0273 said:

America Chavez

Kraven

Shuri

Valkyrie

Jubilee

Ghost

Wiccan

Jessica Jones

Okoye

Dazzler

Domino

Cable

Bishop

Emma Frost

Prowler

Kitty Pryde

Nebula

Taskmaster

"FOR CHRISTMAS"

Probably not too many people that want to spend Christmas grinding for top placement.
    Agreed, if there ever was a call for no timers pve play, its around Xmas time... So Lets hope for a rerun of Sinister 600 over Xmas time for Porker release...
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Smart80 said:
    shardwick said:
    DAZ0273 said:

America Chavez

Kraven

Shuri

Valkyrie

Jubilee

Ghost

Wiccan

Jessica Jones

Okoye

Dazzler

Domino

Cable

Bishop

Emma Frost

Prowler

Kitty Pryde

Nebula

Taskmaster

"FOR CHRISTMAS"

Agreed, if there ever was a call for no timers pve play, its around Xmas time... So Lets hope for a rerun of Sinister 600 over Xmas time for Porker release...
    Maybe they could finally bring back the gauntlet and do a holiday version that rewards double iso, tokens to the holiday vault and Spider Ham covers. 
  • The rockett
    Options
    shardwick said:
    Smart80 said:
    shardwick said:
    DAZ0273 said:

America Chavez

Kraven

Shuri

Valkyrie

Jubilee

Ghost

Wiccan

Jessica Jones

Okoye

Dazzler

Domino

Cable

Bishop

Emma Frost

Prowler

Kitty Pryde

Nebula

Taskmaster

"FOR CHRISTMAS"

Maybe they could finally bring back the gauntlet and do a holiday version that rewards double iso, tokens to the holiday vault and Spider Ham covers. 
    LOLOL.  It’s been 20 months since Gauntlet.  
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    shardwick said:
    Sounds like the perfect time to grind for top placement.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    S600 for 6 Porker covers sounds good for my folks. Then a 7-day for 2 more progression. I think that’s completely reasonable, though some might call me crazy.