Is it harder to climb to 900 as a 5* player than as a 4* player?

Options

Comments

• Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Oh, I was thinking of Coup de Grace, so yeah, a buff on Rope-a-Dope could be valuable.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I think it depends on who you transition with.  Transition with a few upper tiers and I feel it's easier.  Transition with lower end 5*s and it's probably harder.

Caveats to think about:
    1.  Some people find it more boring.  Jumping to 5* will restrict the characters your likely to use and the ones you're likely to fight against in a big way.  Some like this some don't.  I find it easier because you're less likely to come across teams with characters you aren't familiar with their move-set due to the smaller pool.  Less to think about a lot of, oh this team again.
    2.  Easier or harder it will feel harder at first as you learn to play with your new restricted power set and how to counter the current meta team (okoye/thor right now, which is much much easier to counter than Gambit was).
    3.  My recent experience is based on wins based.  I did do 1200 climb for a while as a 5*, but I didn't like it.  It seems nearly impossible without a battle group, which is the same with 4*s.  WIth wins I make it to 75 wins nearly every time. 
    4.  To be fair I'm not comparing apples to apples since wins based didn't exist when I was a 4* player, I'm making an educated guess based on what I know.
    5.  I didn't read anything past the first page so if I repeated anything sorry.
  • Ed5566
    Ed5566 Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    Options
    An additional data point - having transitioned to 5* with black bolt, Phoenix and spider man (peter Parker) at the weekend, I shall be shortly transition back to the 4* tier. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ed5566 said:
    An additional data point - having transitioned to 5* with black bolt, Phoenix and spider man (peter Parker) at the weekend, I shall be shortly transition back to the 4* tier. 
    Are you planning to sell three champ five stars?
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Ed5566 said:
    Yeah, awful selection to go in with. It really is very important to choose wisely on that initial move into 5* land. I equally picked badly (going in with Thanos, Spiderman (Peter Parker) and Archangel and the first few seasons were hell on earth. 575 was literally my exit point in every single event because I couldn't get any higher. 

I champed Jessica Jones to go with Thanos and its now far, far easier. I wouldn't go back to 4* land now I have those two teamed up. 
  • Ed5566
    Options
    Ed5566 said:
    Thinking of getting rid of Phoenix and peter Parker. I’m really struggling to hit 900 and it’s just not fun. So perhaps going to keep black bolt and see how it goes with 1 5* champ
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ive found it easier to climb to 900 using my combination of 5 stars. I have Okoye, Jessica and Clint maxed out. When I had 1 (clint) it was harder, but now that I have a few I can make the climb easier. 
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ed5566 said:
    Ed5566 said:
    Thinking of getting rid of Phoenix and peter Parker. I’m really struggling to hit 900 and it’s just not fun. So perhaps going to keep black bolt and see how it goes with 1 5* champ
    One 5* is not bad with a decent one. I would think bolt should be ok. My solo 5 is daredevil and his true healing really helps him tank alot.

So that may be a struggle with bolt. He will tank a lot over your 4's so he will need health packs often.
  • marshall
    marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I miss 4* land, but don't miss not hitting 1200 progression. After a couple of years in it, I've found that you tend to use the same combos over and over anyway.

I wish they'd make older chars more viable, but I still use them on my climb up to 500-700. Thor+Okoye will take you all the way to 1200 without a hitch even at the last hour on S1. On S2 and 4 you might run into some crazy people that like suppressing scores and have a lot of time in their hands.

On PvE, life will get so much better. Playing when you're not in the mood becomes easy, you don't have to worry about **** boosted weeks with Kraven and Emma.

All in all, I'd say get your fill of 4* land and move on - rewards are better and you get new goals.
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ed5566 said:
    See that is so depressing to read. While I realize they aren’t meta, two out of three of those aren’t terrible ( my understanding is SMPP isn’t bad )

It gives me no faith to move up. I have Loki covered, Okoye needs 2, and I’m hoarding for Kitty/Cable/Next 5* but it’s terrible that I may not move up cause it’ll screw me.

Ive got 42 4* champs now and hit 1200 on the regular. It will be extremely annoying to lose that ability by moving up....
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ed5566 said:
    See that is so depressing to read. While I realize they aren’t meta, two out of three of those aren’t terrible ( my understanding is SMPP isn’t bad )

It gives me no faith to move up. I have Loki covered, Okoye needs 2, and I’m hoarding for Kitty/Cable/Next 5* but it’s terrible that I may not move up cause it’ll screw me.

Ive got 42 4* champs now and hit 1200 on the regular. It will be extremely annoying to lose that ability by moving up....
    I’ve got all the 4* champed and have never hit 1200 once. How are you doing it?
  • BigSoftieFF
    Options
    Ed5566 said:

First few time were massive use of shields when I’d get close. Then I found Line and joined a community. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ed5566 said:

First few time were massive use of shields when I’d get close. Then I found Line and joined a community. 
    It depends quite a bit on what slice you play too. I used to be able to hit 1200 without any coordination, but it got a lot easier when I joined Line. But if there are no queues you can only get so far...
  • BigSoftieFF
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    Ed5566 said:

It depends quite a bit on what slice you play too. I used to be able to hit 1200 without any coordination, but it got a lot easier when I joined Line. But if there are no queues you can only get so far...
    No doubt. I’m a slice 1 guy so there are plenty of points available.
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ed5566 said:
    Ed5566 said:
    If you keep one, you should 100% keep Parker.  I was hitting 1200 relatively easily with him and Vulture.  I now have maybe 7x 5*s champed, and I still use Parker in boss fights, because his green against a single target can do 30k damage.  15k damage for 7 red is already very efficient, then you add on cascade potential and he's a big damage dealer.  Bolt is good, but not as your sole damage dealer, because his damage starts on turn 3, and that's if you don't touch the charged tiles. He may be a better deterrent than Parker, because when you face Bolt, the damage feels fast, but when you use him, it's slow. 
  • Ed5566
    Options
    Vins2 said:
    Ed5566 said:
    Ed5566 said:
    If you keep one, you should 100% keep Parker.  I was hitting 1200 relatively easily with him and Vulture.  I now have maybe 7x 5*s champed, and I still use Parker in boss fights, because his green against a single target can do 30k damage.  15k damage for 7 red is already very efficient, then you add on cascade potential and he's a big damage dealer.  Bolt is good, but not as your sole damage dealer, because his damage starts on turn 3, and that's if you don't touch the charged tiles. He may be a better deterrent than Parker, because when you face Bolt, the damage feels fast, but when you use him, it's slow. 
    Thanks that’s very helpful advice
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Join slice 1 in last 12ish hours.  Thorkoye to 1200 in 1 shot.  maybe 2-3 hits. Takes an hour to 1.5 hours.  shield at end. no grills or coordination required.  Collect 25 cp and a t25 placement.
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options
    1200 doesn't even guarantee top 50 for slice 1 but pretty spot on describing the climb.  Usually you can climb without even having to hit any one specific player more than twice.  
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just wish the time slices were more favourable. I'd love to play slice 1, but it tends to end during the day while I'm at work. I usually end up in 2, as its the only one that really works for me, and thats a pretty bad slice to be in. 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,711 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just wish the time slices were more favourable. I'd love to play slice 1, but it tends to end during the day while I'm at work. I usually end up in 2, as its the only one that really works for me, and thats a pretty bad slice to be in. 
    Same here, but I throw a long shield the night before if I have too, or if it's the late evening ending for slice 1 it's fine. It's absolutely worth it, I'm rarely our of the T25 with a score of 1k and I spend no more than 45 minutes of each pvp. Up to 400-500 in the first two days and push to 900-1200 with one shield at the end.

I don't BC and only sit in my alliance one out of courtesy in the extremely rare case I want to hit one of them.

Yeah I'm a points leech while everyone else is daisy chaining off each other but the game mode doesn't interest me. If I couldn't hit 900-1200 anymore I'd be happy with 575. The only reason I bother past that is it's so bloody easy.