Is it harder to climb to 900 as a 5* player than as a 4* player?

Options

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Options
    When I was running 4*s I got to 900 with ease nearly every PvP event (usually in one go) then I made the mistake of leveling up one of my 5*s to 450 (and a couple to 420) now I get to 575 and quit because I cannot move past that without being hammered as all I can face are 450+ teams and I can't compete with that. When I had 4* teams and faced other 4* (and even 3* teams) life was so much easier
    Are you losing matches you are playing or getting hammered by other players faster than you can climb?
    Also what fives are you running?
    Thanks for sharing your experience by the way!
  • Palookaville
    Palookaville Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    When I was running 4*s I got to 900 with ease nearly every PvP event (usually in one go) then I made the mistake of leveling up one of my 5*s to 450 (and a couple to 420) now I get to 575 and quit because I cannot move past that without being hammered as all I can face are 450+ teams and I can't compete with that. When I had 4* teams and faced other 4* (and even 3* teams) life was so much easier
    Are you losing matches you are playing or getting hammered by other players faster than you can climb?
    Usually I run the chosen 3* ('natch) and a 451 OML with the third character usually being a boosted four star. I do have a 435 Silver Surfer and a 420 DareDevil & Hawkeye, but I figured they are not any kind of deterrent.

I would love to use the chosen 3* and two 4* characters, but since every team I face has at least one 450 5* the match damage alone takes down my 4*'s before I can do much damage. That is why I use OML as a self healing tank. (I usually win most matches I initiate) 

I usually don't get attacked with any great force until I hit 500 or so (but I do occasionally get hit below 500 a couple of times)  When I get to 575, I stop because for every fight I win, I have usually lost two or three in return.

plus (and this is important - I really should have mentioned it earlier, sorry) I only jump in with a couple of hours to go on the event, so there will be a lot of people out there attacking me. I have found that when I start the event earlier, the same kind of thing happens. I get to 575 or so and become a target for the Thor/Okoye teams as I usually don't have a maxed 3*, I have a good 4* and a nice 5*, but I think I am still seen as an easy target.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Usually I run the chosen 3* ('natch) and a 451 OML with the third character usually being a boosted four star. I do have a 435 Silver Surfer and a 420 DareDevil & Hawkeye, but I figured they are not any kind of deterrent.

I would love to use the chosen 3* and two 4* characters, but since every team I face has at least one 450 5* the match damage alone takes down my 4*'s before I can do much damage. That is why I use OML as a self healing tank. (I usually win most matches I initiate) 

I usually don't get attacked with any great force until I hit 500 or so (but I do occasionally get hit below 500 a couple of times)  When I get to 575, I stop because for every fight I win, I have usually lost two or three in return.

plus (and this is important - I really should have mentioned it earlier, sorry) I only jump in with a couple of hours to go on the event, so there will be a lot of people out there attacking me. I have found that when I start the event earlier, the same kind of thing happens. I get to 575 or so and become a target for the Thor/Okoye teams as I usually don't have a maxed 3*, I have a good 4* and a nice 5*, but I think I am still seen as an easy target.
    There*s the problem then. OML is not particularly scary - his strong side is his durability, but he is easy pickings on defense. DD and Hawkeye are both more of a deterrent than OML as they can mess you up pretty good even if they are easier to beat than the top tier fivestars. It's not strange that you attract a lot of hits, with a stronger fivestar you would have less of a bullseye on your back.
  • Daredevil217
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    You are getting mixed advice here because there are sooo many factors when someone climbs in PVP. When did they start? When the event first opens you can climb right away and see all sorts of seals. End of event has most people shielded and other late climbers hitting everything in sight. If I start mid-event I get the same five 500+ 5* teams over and over and over again. I have to hit them to climb whether I want to or not, so I generally start early. Also, what slice are they in? Every slice has a different population and "personality". I think beating other 5* teams with your own 5* team is generally easier than beating other 4* teams with your own 4* team. But the variety is definitely thinner at the 5* level due to the nature of acquiring them versus 4*'s.

As far as PVE, there are those that have 5* Thanos and those that don't. Nearly all of the most competitive players are using him for most nodes. There are slight variations on this. But if you want t5 in cl8 or cl9 you usually have to have him. If t20 is ok for you then there are plenty of other teams you can use in PVE and take it slightly more casually.
    I agree about the mixed advice and I think the #1 thing is the champs people transition with (see the post below yours) and second to that is the slice chosen and when people choose to climb.

I know as a 4* player I can go into any slice I want and get the same outcome.  I don't even know what slice I go into most the time.  I definitely don't have a regular one.  Once the preview pops up for the next event I know I'm running out of time in the current and when I have some time I'll pop on and just play whatever one is within three hours of ending (sometimes more, sometimes less).  I don't have to know about slice culture and personality as a late climbing 4* player.  I get to just play.

As for your second paragraph, I regularly get T5 in CL8 with no 5's let alone Thanos.  I usually run half health Thor fueling whatever boosted 4s have green/yellow/red nukes and do great with that strategy.  Who that is changes each week and some weeks are rougher than others, but I tend to do well.  Still... maybe I will wait to finish Thanos to transition.  I hate his god awful build and hope I get a strong string of luck with him.  Like I said he's my bonus- though it might end up being a waste due to the 1/5/4 build.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I will put in my voice for 1 5* champ.

Mine is daredevil. I only have about 8 4's not champed. I feel like I'm only limited by how much I want to play. There are a lot of 4's with stuns so great synergy with daredevil. Tons of great teams with him for simulator. Wasp and Carol, cloak/dagger and valkyrie, vulture and sandman, gamora and groot, the list really doesn't stop.

For opponents I see a pretty wide range. Good variety of single champed 5's, double low level 5's, high champed 4's. Most of the teams beating me are dual champed 5's but I rarely have the game offer them up for me. 

My play style is start early, ignore the points, and get at least to 22 wins. 40 is easy enough if I want to. Story mode is cake in scl 9 though. Even unboosted you can just run Chavez and anyone else you want. It's not the fastest, but I only play for progression. And having a 5 like daredevil makes that a breeze.

I am working my way toward getting kitty to pair with him because their synergy is ridiculous.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Quebbster said:

There*s the problem then. OML is not particularly scary - his strong side is his durability, but he is easy pickings on defense. DD and Hawkeye are both more of a deterrent than OML as they can mess you up pretty good even if they are easier to beat than the top tier fivestars. It's not strange that you attract a lot of hits, with a stronger fivestar you would have less of a bullseye on your back.
    This is what I would fear moving to 5*. I think the only way to do it, really, is to hoard ISO once you have a strong bench of 5*s fully covered and then champ them all at once so that you can compete as a peer (even if at lower levels, which cannot be overcome).
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yepyep said:
    Quebbster said:

This is what I would fear moving to 5*. I think the only way to do it, really, is to hoard ISO once you have a strong bench of 5*s fully covered and then champ them all at once so that you can compete as a peer (even if at lower levels, which cannot be overcome).
    It's like that at every level though. If falcon or kraven was your only 4* you would struggle in versus for a bit.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Options
    tiomono said:
    Yepyep said:
    Quebbster said:

It's like that at every level though. If falcon or kraven was your only 4* you would struggle in versus for a bit.
    Yeah, Devil Dinosaur, Nick Fury and Star Lord were my first three 4* champs, so...PVP became unplayable when Star Lord wasn't boosted for about four months until I finally was able to champ 4Thor during a HfH offer (I'm super casual, so roster progress is slow).   There's no reason to think it would be different for the 5* transition, although I don't have any 5* above 10 covers, so I'm not even worried about that at the moment.

@Daredevil217 , do you still have all your 5*'s at Lv255?  Even with much lower covered 5*'s than you have (and not the best ones from the current meta), I noticed a significant increase in their usefulness when I just raised my 5*'s from Lv255 to Lv315 (my highest non-Devil Dino 4* champ is Lv281), yet this increase hasn't had any noticeable effect on my MMR (although, to be honest, I did notice a slight increase in difficulty for the triple run of Growth Industry).   If you're 4* champs are ~Lv300-310, you probably wouldn't notice any change in MMR with your 5*'s at Lv330-360, plus it would lower the ISO cost for when you finally decide to take the plunge.  Just my $0.02...

• Daredevil217
    Options
    That’s exactly what I’m planning to do (that’s the same level I chose and everything!) I realized it’ll cost 126k each to do it. So 1.5 million to do the 12 I’ll hopefully have at 10+ covers. 

I’m debating between just bringing the well covered ones to 315 or bringing everyone up. If everyone then I’d do it more slowly and bring them up when featured in PVE (so Surfer right now for example). I don’t know if that’s a waste of iso if I know I’m never going to get the chance to champ him. 
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I thought for sure you were done worrying about iso. If your concern was MMR or iso, you're safe to take any 5* you're interested in to 360.

Just saying a max 3* Thanos has a better court death than your 1/5/4 Thanos would at 315, and he's boosted right now to 367.

• Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    ^^^

Are you using those 10 champs in PVP? I know you don’t play regularly but when you do, can you hit 900 easily?

I’m not worried about PVE. Since there’s no defense and often no tile movers, tons of teams are viable. 

None of those 9 listed are PVP meta so I imagine you’d get slammed a ton, but I could be wrong. 
    So I decided to try PVP, mostly out of curiosity, and I did manage to hit 900 in the Strange PVP without a Shield.  I mostly used Panthos, but I also used OML/Phoenix for a couple battles early to save HP, and I tried BB/Rogue and BB/America too.  

I wouldnt call it easy.  I ran out of HP, and got hit quite a bit as I got close to 900.  I’m not in any Shield check rooms, and I goofed up a couple times.  I think my biggest mistake was not hitting a 70 point grill.  I thought I’d wait 15 minutes and hit it later, but by the time I got around to it, a retal had taken it’s place.  Like I said, I don’t know PVP well, but I was still able to hit 900 without a shield and non-meta 5’s.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I championed Okoye and Beardy Cap in rapid succession, and PvP became nigh impossible.
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    MegaBee said:
    I championed Okoye and Beardy Cap in rapid succession, and PvP became nigh impossible.
    Can you elaborate? I haven’t made it there yet but would like to jump in when I get there. This makes me question if I should as they seem like two good 5*’s to jump in with.
  • MegaBee
    Options
    MegaBee said:
    Can you elaborate? I haven’t made it there yet but would like to jump in when I get there. This makes me question if I should as they seem like two good 5*’s to jump in with.
    They are both excellent 5* characters. When I championed them, I started seeing a lot of matches in PvP that included Okoye and 5*Thor or Jessica Jones, and they were just stomping me. It really felt like I hit a wall.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Options
    MegaBee said:
    MegaBee said:
    They are both excellent 5* characters.
    While Okoye is excellent, I wouldn't have picked Lumbercap as my second champed 5.
    Calling him "excellent" is a bit of a stretch.
    He's more like OK.
  • Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Okoye isn't going to buff Lumbercap's attacks in a significant way.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jexman said:
    Okoye isn't going to buff Lumbercap's attacks in a significant way.

She can buff Rope-a-Dope damage, it can get nasty. But it's certainly not the fastest combination.
  • MegaBee
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    MegaBee said:
    MegaBee said:
    They are both excellent 5* characters.
    While Okoye is excellent, I wouldn't have picked Lumbercap as my second champed 5.
    Calling him "excellent" is a bit of a stretch.
    He's more like OK.
    That's fair. I had the covers and the iso, so I pulled the trigger. Okoye and Lumbercap don't play well together, and I may have done more harm than good increasing my PvP difficulty like that.
  • Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yeah Rope-a-Dope is already generally a one-shot on a full health 5* champ so I can't see that Okoye's buffing it would help much.