Duel Decks: Zendikar vs Eldrazi - Feedback

Options

Comments

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    [MOD MIC ON] Please take conversations about other games you are currently playing to the Other Games board unless they directly correlate to aspects of Duel Decks. Future violations will result in warnings. Thank you. [//MOD MIC OFF]
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have no problem whether my side wins or loses. It's a nice feeling to be on the winning side, it's okay to be on the other side.
    I'm liking the flavor and the runes.. I mean, I would like it if the charges were fast again
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I am guessing they did NOT read the feedback comments. Perhaps language barrier, lots of work, etc.

And the multiple choice wasnt polarizing enough of a result to instigate changes perhaps. As many people are known to not select the extremes of the choices but rather the "kinda bad" or "kinda good" choices. And when you add those up, it doesnt create a huge impact. However clearly everyone selected that the rewards are VERY GOOD in the multiple choice so they decided to nerf it - cant have customer be happy now, can we? (I understood the nerf but it was far too severe)
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IM_CARLOS said:

Last and major problem: bugs.
    In both beta I haven't any crash in hundred matches. On third run I had 2 out of 7 yet. Was I lucky the first two iterations. 
    I have had the game crash in all three runs of the event, with a common theme. If the game attempts to match me against my same side, it will attempt to load the match, then freeze and crash. Thats been my only technical bug though.

I do feel that when it comes to the prebuilt decks, Nissa is hands down stronger than the Eldrazi. I won every first phase fight with her first time for every increment of objectibes. The Eldrazi took a lot more effort to win and to meet objectives, partially because of the loyalty abilities. I think needing a creature in play to use the eldrazi first ability really hurts that deck as well
    as making a creature that dies to Nissa’s first ability creature without killing it. I would think it should be altered to not give the -3/-3 and just make 4 eldrazi scions. 
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Eye of Ugin is crazy good.
    Great with rex (not this event), StV and all the other gemchange and just a warpig. Made it in some decks. 
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    This entire process has just been super insulting to me.

We have been asking for Beta testing to be run on new stuff for years, since every single thing is released with bugs.  I can't help but feel like they decided to roll out this event as a "Beta Test" in order to get us to shut up, not to actually test the event. 

I mean think about it:

None of the premade decks changed at all between any of the 3 event runs.
    None of the objectives changed besides minor numbers tweaking between any of the 3 event runs
    None of the planeswalker abilities changed at all between any of the 3 event runs
    None of the bugs were fixed between any of the 3 event runs
    Nothing new was added to or taken away from the event between any of the 3 event runs

What did change between the events?

The cost of the boosters was increased by 50%
    The event rewards were decreased by 90% (admittedly this one makes sense a little, but was probably excessive)
    The phase 2 and 3 recharge timers were increased by ~6600%

So if nothing was changed or fixed besides the rewards and recharge times (both of which went directly against the opinions in the survey), why did they bother running a Beta test?  What exactly were we testing?
    I think they just test game stability in first run (10 min recharge). Rewards are stil rather high for efforts.

But the need some new game designer. There a too many blind spots that were revealed by players and they are still there. 

Well, for the next run the probable recharge to 5hours ... and cut the Rewards by half. 'Look, we received your feedback.' 
  • GigaGuess
    GigaGuess Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I can understand stress test, but at the same time, I found the first "true" run rather frustrating.  Taking the initial charges from 6 to 3 was just...brutal.  There were 8 total duel matches, and I lost 2 to the Mirror Match Glitch.  That's 25% of my matches, just...gone.  Hell, I'll take a loss, at least I get runes for that, too.  It just left a feel bad experience to me.

Honestly, I can get the rest (Though I feel card purchases can go back down, to my personal opinion.  It's one card per pack, and implicitly legacy...that said, this is just personal opinion.) but one thing just left a very sour taste in my mouth.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Options
    +1 to the above.
    Well, I don't think there's any reason to lower the rune outcome..Anyway, the last duel deck events just felt boring. Sloggy. Why should I build decks for such fights.

Plus, one way to fix a lot of flavor would be a set restriction. You're going to see rashmi loops all day long for nissa, and similar broken combos for Ted (that likely have nothing to do with the theme).
    Please restrict the sets! This is the perfect opportunity.
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    All right, so this is the second time we've seen this event, and I have chosen both sides. Here's my (generally negative) feedback:

1) The objectives.
    I still remember people complained the last time that during the real duel, having the same exact set of objectives for both Nissa and Eldrazi is completely unfair simply due to the fact that the Eldrazi has far better card pool (a.k.a., everything). And you completely ignored that complaint. Bad, bad decision, Oktagon, bad, terrible decision. (I did win all my matches by completing the "use 11-mana cost and up only", but my victories were in part that the Eldrazi players somehow strangely were kind enough to build noticeably bad decks; Clutch and Eldest would have completely ruined my day.

2) Win/Loss reward.
    In what I believe correlates to the above point, I think it's no surprise that more people chose the Eldrazi for whatever reasons, and also that they would perform better, leading to the Eldrazi side winning again. If you keep this up, Mana Confluence can NEVER be obtained because no one will ever support Nissa. So I suggest: Give the exclusive card (Mana Confluence and Eye of Ugin) as a reward of choosing side. After that, let the winning side get better deal (like, mythic packs, more crystals than the losing side etc) so that in case nobody picks Nissa again because she's by default disadvantaged, at least the main prize (Mana Confluence) can still be obtained.

I mean, look, your Dragon's War event gives the exclusive card Dragon's Hoard as a progression reward, meaning that as long as a player is not too lazy and/or too unlucky, they should be able to get the Hoard without being in the top 5.

All in all, I only repeat what I said before, mostly: The idea for this duel decks is fine, but do please make it more balanced and enjoyable.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The funniest thing about this event is how the indestructible support that appears in the Duel Phase (but is not mentioned anywhere else in the event) makes it significantly harder to play with the type of deck your side wants to.

I ended up making an Eldrazi deck with Nissa, and I gotta say it was significantly better than any landfall deck I could put together because of that support.  I get that they want to add an extra challenge, but I feel like Nissa's best option should not be to play Eldrazi.
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    The funniest thing about this event is how the indestructible support that appears in the Duel Phase (but is not mentioned anywhere else in the event) makes it significantly harder to play with the type of deck your side wants to.

I ended up making an Eldrazi deck with Nissa, and I gotta say it was significantly better than any landfall deck I could put together because of that support.  I get that they want to add an extra challenge, but I feel like Nissa's best option should not be to play Eldrazi.
    That support in Nissa side is a bug I have already reported the last time we played this event. The Zendikar indestructible support should be other (do not remember it) that fits better with it's side.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    rafalele said:
    Mburn7 said:

That support in Nissa side is a bug I have already reported the last time we played this event. The Zendikar indestructible support should be other (do not remember it) that fits better with it's side.
    I don't think its a bug, since if you pick Eldrazi the support favors Nissa

I believe the purpose is to add an extra challenge, which is totally fine in theory.  In practice its just odd and annoying
  • EvilDead
    EvilDead Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ditto what Brakkis posted above.

For peets sake, fix the bugs first so we can enjoy the event.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Options
    My feedback.. Boring.
    What do I want with a multiple day event offering 6+4 fights? I hoped for something to help with runes. This event.. Nope.i hoped for flavor. This event.. Nope. More fights and set restrictions!
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I played one game in round 2 and then didn't login for the rest of it.   I'm not sure this event will survive beyond initial iterations unless they evolve it.
  • TheDude1
    TheDude1 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I was so hopeful for this event when it was in Beta.  It was refreshing to get not just new content, but a unique gameplay structure, especially since it really seemed like this was a chance to give active feedback that would be used to everyone's benefit.  My feelings have since soured.

--Completely agree with the idea that this event is wholly unbalanced.  Everyone is thrown in together using a Level 60 planeswalker, so you're going to have ridiculous mismatches because things that might correlate to deck strength (tier, planeswalker level) are by definition ignored.  Perhaps this will change with the note in the Q&A about adjusting color mastery/matchmaking?  If the intention really is to explore previous collections/mechanics, a set restriction would be completely appropriate here, both for theme purposes and for competitive balancing.  Using a Pauper objective to "force" lower-level deck builds does nothing, as mentioned above.

--The change made to have your second phase ("Duel") be the same as the third phase ("Final Duel"), including sharing the pool of charges, makes most of the event repetitive and boring.  There's no reason to distinguish the two phases because there's no substantive difference at all, may as well just call the first the "pre-built" phase and the second/third the "open" phase.  I got my objectives settled in the second phase and didn't even bother playing the third because there was no reason to and I had nothing else to play for.  At that point it's just a glorified Legacy Training Grounds, except you have a time restriction, you face the same Planeswalker over and over again, and non-Platinums have the added probability of getting your face smashed by a broken Platinum deck.

--Why allow Planeswalkers to fully regenerate instantly after each match if you have to wait 5 hours for the next match anyway?

--I'm willing to concede that TED beating Nissa repeatedly is an artifact of the colorless vs mono-color setup, where people are given far more flexibility in deck-building on one planeswalker than the other.  I'm cautiously hopeful that it will be rectified in future duels - perhaps because we'll include some multi-colors or even a mono-vs-mono.  But that doesn't make this version any better.

There really is a lot of potential in this concept, it's just incredibly frustrating that there are so many conceptual flaws that remain open.  I understand that the forums are just a subset of all players, and that feedback isn't confined only to what is posted here.  But it can't be good to have this many engaged users be so disillusioned, when there are fixes available that would presumably alleviate the concerns raised here without disrupting the experience of the more casual player...
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Options
    arNero said:
    but my victories were in part that the Eldrazi players somehow strangely were kind enough to build noticeably bad decks; Clutch and Eldest would have completely ruined my day.
    That's probably because some of us were so lazy that they only did two matches to grab the two objectives for the crystals and the last objective deck remained. It's a good observation, I actually did the pauper first and the 11+ cost second, I suppose if I switched them around it would make more people happy. As I don't care about this event (and there's no risk in just getting the two objectives in 9 charges) I'll be more than happy to give other players an easier time.
  • Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Mono Green vs All your legacy cards you have! Bugs and Freezes...Game is in its worst state since I started playing.