Roster help for rookie

Options

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Beerman63 said:
    Another thing, I read alot about Winfinite team, I think I understood that those are teams that, when you have enough APs, will constantly stun the enemies so they can't do anything anymore, right? Now I'm wondering, would SWitch, 3* Cap and IM40 be such a team?
    They're not going to go winfinite for you but that doesn't mean it's not a good team - it is. IM40/Cap were a cornerstone of my 3-star MPQ career. I think they work better with a green nuker as a 3rd because IM40's Recharge generates a lot more green than it does purple. Common 3rds in my day were Human Torch, Bullseye (especially for wave nodes), Kamala Khan (probably their best 3rd), Quicksilver, and Thor.

Winfinite teams are somewhat gimmicky, at times unreliable, and almost always very slow. The current meta of speed, special tiles, and passives have made the old stand-by winfinites mostly obsolete but they can still be effective. These are the two I had the most success with:

Prof X + Switch + GSBW = Switch makes purple match-5s, triggering Prof-X's passive damage, feeding Black Widow's purple-to-green conversion, which enables her to use her green sniper rifle. All this causes massive board destruction and cascades which perpetuates into more passive damage from Prof X and AP generation to continue the cycle (hopefully) into a winfinite.

Ragnarok + IM40 + Riri = I found this one to be more reliable. It's called 'Ragfinity'. Iron Man makes lots of red and blue with his yellow Recharge. Ragnarok uses the red to damage and make more blue. Riri uses the blue to damage and make more red... repeat until all your opponents are down. Riri can also use the green from IM40 to send enemies airborne if the winfinite fails and you need to reset.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Beerman63 said:
    Yes, Dormamus advice absolutely makes sense, still it is extremly tempting to open some tokens... But I'll try to stick to the plan and only open them when I got a roster spot open or enough HPs to buy one. From my experience so far, undercovered 4*s don't really help anyways, the only one I am constantly using is Capt. Marvel, for whom I got 8 covers already, and 5 of them are black. I normally pair her with either 3* Thor (for the rainbow) and 3* Strange, or recently tried 3* Iron Fist instead of Thor, to create more black. I also have 5 covers for Carnage, but I'm not really sure how to use him, cause of all the tiles he creates for the enemies as well... Pretty difficult to me.
    Another thing, I read alot about Winfinite team, I think I understood that those are teams that, when you have enough APs, will constantly stun the enemies so they can't do anything anymore, right? Now I'm wondering, would SWitch, 3* Cap and IM40 be such a team? Cap works great with IM40 against goons, as soon as I have enough blue and red from IM40 the party gets going as they can't match away the tiles that give me back the AP. Paired with Switch's Purple this seems pretty good to me...
    Unfortunately Carnage best partners are also 4*, namely Medusa and Prowler. In terms of 3* team, take Switch out and bring in Thor. IM40 recharge will fill up blue, red and green. Thor's red can make more yellow for IM40. Cap can go on a stun run and Thor can make with his green. You can also switch up to using Cap's red and keep the ap recycling going. And of course it is the "Big 3" Avengers which is extra nice.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Beerman63 said:
    Another thing, I read alot about Winfinite team, I think I understood that those are teams that, when you have enough APs, will constantly stun the enemies so they can't do anything anymore, right? Now I'm wondering, would SWitch, 3* Cap and IM40 be such a team?

Prof X + Switch + GSBW = Switch makes purple match-5s, triggering Prof-X's passive damage, feeding Black Widow's purple-to-green conversion, which enables her to use her green sniper rifle. All this causes massive board destruction and cascades which perpetuates into more passive damage from Prof X and AP generation to continue the cycle (hopefully) into a winfinite.

Ragnarok + IM40 + Riri = I found this one to be more reliable. It's called 'Ragfinity'. Iron Man makes lots of red and blue with his yellow Recharge. Ragnarok uses the red to damage and make more blue. Riri uses the blue to damage and make more red... repeat until all your opponents are down. Riri can also use the green from IM40 to send enemies airborne if the winfinite fails and you need to reset.

The other thing to take into account with the first team "Charlie's Angels" is to get the best out of it you need 5 in blue for  Pro X but have to be wary of his level compared to Switch and Widow to get the most out of his Ap generation - otherwise it will generate blue Ap which is useless versus purple ap which is precious.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2019
    Options
    For PvE, your best team for 3* would be IM40, Dr. Strange and Kamala Khan.    First, change your IM40 to 5/3/5, IM40 blue is not a good power compared to his red and yellow.  Always match yellow first to get the vast AP generation from IM40.  Then use the blue AP for Strange's great stun/damage power, green AP for Kamala's AOE and red for IM40's red nuke (when he is unstunned).  In addition this team will have great healing capabilities that should save you health packs and Strange will destroy goon nodes.  The team isn't quite rainbow but it should be very effective as long as you can get yellow AP.  This team could be fairly good for PvP too with all of the healing you should have.
  • Dormammu
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Warbringa said:
    For PvE, your best team for 3* would be IM40, Dr. Strange and Kamala Khan.
    If it's goons you're going against, then it's IM40, Strange, and Patch. Patch's green strike tiles will cause Strange's passive blue (edit: and yellow) damage to outright murder your opponents.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Warbringa said:
    For PvE, your best team for 3* would be IM40, Dr. Strange and Kamala Khan.
    If it's goons you're going against, then it's IM40, Strange, and Patch. Patch's green strike tiles will cause Strange's passive blue damage to outright murder your opponents.
    I agree against all goon nodes (and certain mixed nodes) it certainly will but I like Kamala overall as a better fit for most nodes.
  • Beerman63
    Beerman63 Posts: 69 Match Maker
    Options
    Thx alot for the advice on the teams, it was really helpful. I indeed use Kamala Khan alot with Cap/IM40, but I also like SWITCHs team nuke with the 5 round stun, so I often shift between them. Took me awhile to "like" Cap, cause I actually didn't find out until 2 weeks ago that he can place his countdown tiles on EVERY part, even on enemy countdown tiles, which is a huge advantage. Thx for the hint on Patch's strengths when playing with Strange on goon teams, I don't use him that much at the moment...
    I have Prof X at 5 covers, so maybe I try out some time if I can start this winifite thing, thx for clarifying the difference to Stunlock. Nevertheless I enjoy it when I realise that the enemy team will constantly get stunned and can't do anything about it.
  • froggerjohn
    froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The best Winfinite in 3* land is actually Mohawk 5/5/3, Kamala Khan 5/5/3, and Gambit 3/5/5.
    Once it gets going it essentially does not stall out. I think it might have stalled once for me in the hundreds of times I ran it.

There are a few ways to start it up, but usually you want enough black and red for Gambit, at least some green, and at least some purple. Other combos of red/black/green/purple still work though.

You can also seed it with AP boosts to start quicker. Either
    +1 purple, +1 black, +1 all
    or +1 red, +2 black, +2 purple

Save Gambit black until you have either the red or Mohawk green ready to go.
    Then fire black-red or black-green.
    You pretty much always want to make charged tiles before firing the green, to generate extra AP.
    Use Mohawk yellow when you see good opportunities for cascade generation, or before firing the green (so there are more colored tiles for AP generation).
    Use KK purple usually on the blue, since that's an otherwise useless color for you. But any color that makes good green matches can be worth it.
  • Beerman63
    Options
    I invested some money yesterday and got enough HP to get 5-6 roster slots. Therefore I opened 3 tokens, one was 4* Spider Man, another 4+ Wiccan. The last tokens included 5* Capt. Marvel, and I even got a bonus hero, which is 5* Hawkguy. Not really sure now if I should be happy about that... I assume that a single cover 5* doesn't help me in this stage of the game, and they will take away two slots if I roster them. On the other hand I'd feel quite sad having to sell of some 5*... Still got two weeks to think about it, but I'm really not sure what to do with the 5*s...
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Whilst she is still in Latest Legends tokens, Captain Marvel will rotate as the 5E (under normal circumstances) so that would allow you to play SCL7 for some extra points and rewards (typically 2 clears is a token and 1CP) per day. Whilst you shouldn't really sell 5*, CM is hardly top tier and you could sacrifice her slot after she lost her usefulness for somebody more applicable at your level if absolutely needed but I would hang on to her for her high match damage.

5* Hawkeye is more problematic and being a Classic is going to be basically nigh on impossible to cover. I've been playing this game 3 years and have exactly 1 Hawkeye cover...Roster him if you can but he is very sacrificable in the long run.

First thing though is that to have gotten that 5* Hawkeye I am assuming you don't have any 5* currently checked as bonus heroes? The reason I can assume that is because if you don't have a character set at each tier then when you get a bonus hero the game will randomly assign you one. THIS IS BAD. 5* Bonus heroes are rare as it is, you do not want to waste these. If you decide to roster CM5 then I suggest you make her your 5* Bonus hero unless you have other 5* rostered you would prefer. Leaving this blank however will continue with the random chaos (on the very rare time you get any 5* Bonus heroes of course) and RNG will likely want toi reward you with Wasp or Kingpin covers...

If you thinking of having another 5* Bonus hero'ed who you don't have then Kitty (hope for a yellow) or Thor (hope for green) have useful passives even at 1 cover. However my personal favpurite 1 cover character is Black Bolt yellow - this allows you to use powers in characters for whom covers you don't yet have and is a fun thing to mess around with.
  • Beerman63
    Options
    Thx alot for the advice on the Bonus Heroes, as you expected I did not specify any BH for the 5* level, as I wasn't expecting to get one at all (never so far gotten a 4* BH...). 
    Could you maybe explain in more detail about the "Latest Legends" and "Classic" meanings? I read that sometime but so far I am not exactly sure what I means. I assume that the newer characters are more likely to get covers for, while the older ones are more rare? Also I don't know what 5E means and where I could use the 5*s to get tokens. Sorry for these questions, but I have to admit that some abbreviations and terms are not clear to me even after several months of playing. :p
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    No probs!

Latest Legends - those groovy looking purple tokens you can get (for example as the prize for winning the Crash of the Titans in Deadpool Daily) offer access to the Latest Legends store - this store allows you to draw from the 3 latest 5* characters released, currently Hela, Captain Marvel and Emperor God Doom. When a new 5* is released they will bump out the oldest 5* and replace them (that will be Doom). You can also purchase from this store for 25 CP - if you don't get a 5* then you'll get a 4*. The newest 5* characters are ONLY available from this store.

All the other 5* are in the Classic store - this can be purchased at 20CP a go but the odds of getting a 5* are between all the remaining other 5* diluted (something like 29 or so characters) - it is therefore MUCH harder to get either a specific character/colour for 5* from this store. However, if you are chasing 4* characters then this store is 5CP cheaper.

The Latest 5* are normally featured as Essentials in PvE as follows  where L = Latest and C = Classic - LLLCC - so the three newest 5* then 2 Classic ones then back to the same pattern - so this means they will feature multiple times and so have use in getting extra prizes in playing the Essential 5* node in PvE.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Oh and I should probably clarify one more thing - in order to get a Bonus Hero it doesn't matter which store you draw from, so in other words if you are opening your Latest Legends tokens but your bonus hero is set for example Thor you can still get a cover for him as a bonus regardless of the fact he is no longer available in that store otherwise.

Clear as mud? I suspect so...
  • froggerjohn
    froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This might be worth reading for some notes regarding single-cover 5s.
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/73440/is-it-worth-having-one-5

I found that having that extra match damage was indeed very useful, albeit in specific situations.

With that in mind, the CM cover is better than the Hawkeye, because her damage levels are quite a bit higher. That, plus being a featured character a couple more times makes her a definite keep, IMO. And I wouldn't really sell her, until you have a better 5 to replace her with. (Kitty yellow, and Okoye black come to mind).

I know some will disagree, but I wouldn't worry too much about selling other 5* covers like Hawkeye.
    Those covers are so hard to get, that it's unlikely you will ever fully roster them. So the only real use for those covers, is allowing you to play the 5e node in SCL7. That's valuable for sure, but older classic characters are only featured in the 5e maybe once per year, so it's not a huge difference compared to the usefulness of having more 4s rostered. Until you get closer to having most of the fours, (or unless you want to spend money on HP), I think you get the most bang from reserving new slots for 4* characters.

The exception, is if you happen to draw one of the top-tier 5* covers, but at that point, I'd suggest keeping that and selling the CM (once she's left the set of Latest).

Here's another thread that talks about saving more than one 5* cover.
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/75015/when-to-start-saving-5-covers
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Beerman63 said:
    I assume that a single cover 5* doesn't help me in this stage of the game, and they will take away two slots if I roster them. On the other hand I'd feel quite sad having to sell of some 5*... Still got two weeks to think about it, but I'm really not sure what to do with the 5*s...

Ideally, you want one cover of every single character in the game at the 2-star tier and above because of essential nodes. Single cover 5-stars have value because of the 5-star essential nodes in PvE, which becomes important at SCL 7. Even if you don't play PvE competitively and don't care about the points, completing those 5e node give great rewards like CP and event tokens.

The one place I used single cover 5-stars every day when I was at your stage was the three easy nodes in PvE. They make great partners for Thanos, doing high match damage and soaking his Court Death damage - this allows you to clear those nodes quickly without damaging your main characters.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Beerman63 said:
    I assume that a single cover 5* doesn't help me in this stage of the game, and they will take away two slots if I roster them. On the other hand I'd feel quite sad having to sell of some 5*... Still got two weeks to think about it, but I'm really not sure what to do with the 5*s...

Ideally, you want one cover of every single character in the game at the 2-star tier and above because of essential nodes. Single cover 5-stars have value because of the 5-star essential nodes in PvE, which becomes important at SCL 7. Even if you don't play PvE competitively and don't care about the points, completing those 5e node give great rewards like CP and event tokens.

The one place I used single cover 5-stars every day when I was at your stage was the three easy nodes in PvE. They make great partners for Thanos, doing high match damage and soaking his Court Death damage - this allows you to clear those nodes quickly without damaging your main characters.
    They're also handy for burning through Lightning Round Seed Teams. Danver5 is a good one here, since all you really care about is match damage (and maybe health pool, but that's not usually such a big issue in this case unless you're playing ALL the Lightning Rounds).
  • Beerman63
    Options
    Thx froggerjohn, the topic you mentioned was extremly helpful, as it seems that currently I am exactly at that point of the game where you were then. So I did get quite alot of insight from it!

Great, that indeed gave me a new way to see it. So I'll definitely be keeping Danver5, and depending on my HP status (currently 4000) I will decide on Hawkeye. Btw, is 1000 HP the most that roster slot prices go, and can they be even higher?

Besides that, I have to admit that I am getting a bit bored by PVE at the moment, as I don't have enough time (or stamina :p) to play for placement, so even if I play SCL 7 I normally manage to get 2 3* covers (only if I grind alot and the story is goon-heavy I sometimes get a 4*). It is quite time consuming and basically I can get the same amount of 3*s with 2 days of DDQ... So currently I am focusing a bit on PVP and playing it easy, only playing PVE whenever I see a decent 4*. 
    As he is featured in this mode, can anybody tell me how to play with Talos? I haven't figured out how to use him at all, and I am basically ignoring him in my battles. Not a 4* I would keep if I get him.Dormammu said:
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    The way to play with Talos is to shake your head sadly at how mediocre he is and that his loaner version gets outperformed by 2* Storm.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Roster slots hold their 1000 HP cost until you get to some ridiculous number of slots... 300 I think? (Well, maybe not so ridiculous for those duping 4-stars.)

If you're playing PvE SCL 7 and it's too much of a slog or you can't roster the progression 4-star, drop down and play SCL 6. PvE is a bit of a grind but it is the most resource-rich arena of the game. For anyone serious about tackling the 4-star tier, playing PvE regularly to full progression is going to get them there a lot sooner. The ISO cost to champ the 4-star tier is staggering and there's no better place to farm it.
  • Beerman63
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I got a question concerning the current Galactus-Event. I am currently experimenting with a team of Deadpool (3*), IM 40 and GSBW, as all of them are boosted at the moment. So I was wondering if it would be a good idea to reconfigure IM 40 for this event to 3-5-5. The reason is that I am using DPs red to cut down Galactus with 3 slices, and then use blue (which nobody else uses on the team) when IM40 is back from his stun to finish Galactus, in case GSBWs green isn't ready yet. 
    Or does the team of IM40, Patch and GSBW make more sense? Nevertheless, except IM40, nobody uses blue, so even then I wonder if the reconfiguration would be useful.