Roster help for rookie

Options

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019
    Options
    She is better than you think, but 100% outclassed by Medusa. But she is double fed, and therefore relatively easy to champ if you are trying to get 4* covers.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/73953/the-battle-of-who-could-care-less/p1
  • Beerman63
    Beerman63 Posts: 69 Match Maker
    Options
    What are recommendable 3* teams for the upcoming team event (Ultron)? As you can see I got all but 2 3* rostered, and probably 50% champed, so there should be something to compete.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For Ultron - IM40 can one-shot him up to certain levels and 3* Black Widow can use her red for board clearance of his bombs. Patch can also one-shot Ultie with his red too (although Wolvie isn't boosted this time strangely), especially if used after firing recharge and IM40 is stunned so Patch gets his tiles.

Hawkguy is good against Sentries, Bullseye can use their special tiles against them and likewise Cap Marvel's red power can destroy enemy shields.

The main thing to be wary against Ultron is for anybody who has board destruction powers which can inadvertantly drop Ultron's bombs down to bottom row.

• DAZ0273
    Options
    Oh and Falcon would be handy against Ultron Sentries also as his shields can negate damage from swarm and he is boosted also - a team of Hawkguy, Falcon, Switch would probably be quite effective on some of the side nodes that they are featured essentials for.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Board maniulators are your friend against Tetris Ultron. Back when I was in Three-star land I liked using Black Widow, Captain America and Quicksilver against him, it gave a lot of good options. Just be careful when you fire the Sniper Rifle.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    Board maniulators are your friend against Tetris Ultron. Back when I was in Three-star land I liked using Black Widow, Captain America and Quicksilver against him, it gave a lot of good options. Just be careful when you fire the Sniper Rifle.
    Yeah, she's great, but you really need to know the tile destruction pattern on her Sniper Rifle or you can end up bombing yourself. There's a diagram in her Wiki article if you're not familiar with it.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Precision board controllers as previously mentioned are good for this one. I'd consider a build that maximizes GSBW's red and purple abilities to give you maximum bomb-clear potential, rather than the big damage green. Use the purple to strategically clear lines/columns, and the red to get 3 3x3 break zones, which is quite powerful in this context.

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I never used GSBW because I thought she was too slow in the later rounds. Maybe I was using her wrong or teaming her with the wrong partners.

Back in the 3-star day I had success with Switch, Iron Fist, and Quicksilver. This was very fast for me. Purple and black are everything here. You want as much purple as you can get so Iron Fist can convert it to black, which Quicksilver uses to swap tiles and keep the bombs off the bottom of the board.
  • Beerman63
    Options
    So, now I'm indeed at the point where I rostered all but one 3* (Squirrell Girl, I just can't understand how attacking someone with rodents can be a threat when others have Lasers or bombs or whatever...). I got 238 CP and 30 Legendary Tokens so I'm wondering how to proceed. I know that basically I should open one Token whenever I have enough HP to buy a new slot, but on the one hand it's really hard waiting (:p) and on the other hand I'm thinking that there might be cover for a 4* that I already rostered, so it would help me then... I got 11 4*s, so statistically every 7th token should be one that I got rostered already... 
    At the moment I got 3 4*s in the queue, though none of them seems to interesting... 4* Venom (seems pretty bad), Spider Ham (really don't know if thats any good) and Nightcrawler. Is any of them worth keeping? I hope I can finish the Cinema Countdown sucessfully, so I can get 4* Gamora, which is one of the better characters from what I read.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    The first thing to do is have a look at your champed 3* if you have any - bear in mind that these are now going to start spitting out rewards so will you need a roster slot for a 4* reward from one of those any time soon? Whilst checking, see which ones might be close to spitting out some HP rewards and bonus hero those to get some shiny free gold.

4* Venom is entirely niche and mostly considered lower tier because he has a power with drawbacks (helps the enemy). To be totally honest and giving you a personal opinion - I could have champed him a year ago but he sits next to 4* Kingpin in the "might get to you some day, guys" pile.

Spider-Ham is limited and because of that you have a conundrum - on one hand he is entirely expendable as he will rarely ever feature but on the other hand he is hard to get. At your stage of the game it might sadly be the case of letting him go.

Nightcrawler is solid - which cover is it? Purple is probably worth keeping, others maybe not.

Gamora is a very good 4* because of her cheap stun and useful black power.
  • Beerman63
    Options
    Nightcrawler Cover is red... I'm still a bit sad that I had to let Moonknight go a few weeks ago, he was featured and boosted in an event and I loved him, very strong offense from what I remember.
    About my 3* champs, IM40, Black Panther and Patch are near the 183 level, where they will give me a 4* cover. 4* Hulkbuster is a keeper I guess, Mr. Fantastic not so much from what I read. Patch will give me 4* Wolverine, where I already have 3 covers & rostered, so that will be useful.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would just leave them on the vine and see if any of them pops up as essential in the next 10-14 days.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Beerman63 said:
    Nightcrawler Cover is red... I'm still a bit sad that I had to let Moonknight go a few weeks ago, he was featured and boosted in an event and I loved him, very strong offense from what I remember.
    About my 3* champs, IM40, Black Panther and Patch are near the 183 level, where they will give me a 4* cover. 4* Hulkbuster is a keeper I guess, Mr. Fantastic not so much from what I read. Patch will give me 4* Wolverine, where I already have 3 covers & rostered, so that will be useful.
    I love Moon Knight but he is a bit random but yes very strong in offense.

Hulkbuster is a bit outdated but definitely worth rostering because he is a staple in boss events. Mr F's rework was a bit split between the community, I personally think he is worse now.

NC's red wont do much for you right now and there are more important 4s to roster if you plan on opening those LT's, I would follow Hound's advice and take it to the wire.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    The other thing to consider when opening your LT's is to bonus hero at the 4* tier. Obviously the safe option is to stick to onesonesonyou already have rostered but you should have a decent shot at getting some bonus heroes so gambling on one you don't have but want might also be a plan.

There isn't really a right answer and if you really need the slot you could always sell a lower tier character.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Don't sell anyone off your vine - now everyone just quietly converts into iso once they expire. I guess you can sort by 1* and then sell all those if you want. 

Something you're going to find is that almost all 4* characters are terrible until they aren't (regarding your comments about EB Venom), and also there are maybe 5 or 6 of them that are useful unboosted - the rest are really only good on boost weeks. A few are truly bad. I don't think EB Venom is probably actively trash tier, he just isn't top tier. 

So plan to have loads of 1-6 cover 4*s on roster for a very long time, then expect it will snowball to the point where you won't be able to keep up with champing the ones you have covered.

Regarding bonus hero - I still firmly believe that Vulture is probably the best transitional 4* you can have - he is absolutely a 1-man show. 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Beerman63 said:
     I got 238 CP and 30 Legendary Tokens so I'm wondering how to proceed. I know that basically I should open one Token whenever I have enough HP to buy a new slot, but on the one hand it's really hard waiting (:p) and on the other hand I'm thinking that there might be cover for a 4* that I already rostered...
    Stay the course, @Beerman63 and keep your strategy long-term. Sitting on a hoard of tokens and CP is not an easy thing. Our brains want to know what's behind those pulls, we get excited about the prospect of what treasures are next to come. But you're going to be greatly disappointed when you can't roster those treasures for lack of HP.

I know. I'm currently sitting on 806 CP and 44 legendary tokens. And while I'm hoarding for completely different reasons than you are, it's no less easy. Don't give in to short-term gratification. Trust me. Not if you're in this game for the long-haul.

You want to be a 4-star player. I get it. The transition from 3-star to 4-star play is a long and arduous road, but you'll get there quicker if you use your resources wisely and minimize waste. Use your LTs when you have an open roster slot and hoard those CPs - you'll be glad to have a bank of CPs when you start getting meta 11/12-cover 4-stars you really want to finish and champ.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Dormmamu's advice is sound of course however the only other thing to consider is that rostering any cover above a 1* now has almost infinitely increased value thanks to cover saving than it did in the past when hoarding was the only option. Once you are on the bottom rung of the ladder you will not need to fear selling another cover no matter how poorly RNG treats you. So it is a better investment than at any other time in the game.
  • KT4ever
    KT4ever Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Hi all,

I need your suggestion about the roster selection.

Here is my current rosters: https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/kt4ever/

I have 11 3* on the waiting list and 605HP.  Currently a slot cost me 700HP and I think I'm able to get enough HP for a new one in 2 days.
    1. BEAST(13d 23h)
    2. BULLSEYE(13d 23h)
    3. IRON MAN
    4. BULLSEYE
    5. SQUIRREL GIRL
    6. GAMBIT
    7. GAMORA
    8. BEAST (5d 1h)
    9. BULLSEYE (3d 2h)
    10. BEAST (2d 3h)
    11. ANGEL (16h 2m)

Q1. Between Beast and Bullseye, which one shall I keep?

From the character ranking of other thread I realize that Beast, Bullseye and Gamora are pretty close. Since I have 3 Beast and 3 Bullseye, I will choose between one of them.  But the question is, which one should I choose?

Q2. Is it worthy to sell my 1* spiderman to save them?

It's a pity if I have to sell Beast or Bullseye. There's another way to keep those to -> sell my 1* spiderman. I may need another week to get enough HP to buy a slot. This may be the best way to keep Beast and Bullseye. If you were me, would you choose this way?

• Beerman63
    Options
    Yes, Dormamus advice absolutely makes sense, still it is extremly tempting to open some tokens... But I'll try to stick to the plan and only open them when I got a roster spot open or enough HPs to buy one. From my experience so far, undercovered 4*s don't really help anyways, the only one I am constantly using is Capt. Marvel, for whom I got 8 covers already, and 5 of them are black. I normally pair her with either 3* Thor (for the rainbow) and 3* Strange, or recently tried 3* Iron Fist instead of Thor, to create more black. I also have 5 covers for Carnage, but I'm not really sure how to use him, cause of all the tiles he creates for the enemies as well... Pretty difficult to me.
    Another thing, I read alot about Winfinite team, I think I understood that those are teams that, when you have enough APs, will constantly stun the enemies so they can't do anything anymore, right? Now I'm wondering, would SWitch, 3* Cap and IM40 be such a team? Cap works great with IM40 against goons, as soon as I have enough blue and red from IM40 the party gets going as they can't match away the tiles that give me back the AP. Paired with Switch's Purple this seems pretty good to me...
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That's a Stunlock team. Which is also a good team concept, but Winfinite means the enemy team literally doesn't get another turn. The best ones I know of have a 4* character they need, but there are a couple of less reliable lower tier ones. 2* Storm and Thor can potentially do it (fill up all the way on yellow and green, and those two can feed each other back and forth pretty nicely if the board is friendly), or the one that amuses me most, 1* Storm and Spidey. Load up on purple, yellow, and green, fill the board with crits, and then start setting off cascades. You want to use Storm's yellow as much as you can while there are crits on the board, since it can't destroy those, while her green can, but her green will pick up more coloured AP to help get Spidey's purple going again. I use those two to clear Seed Teams when I want to farm Retals in PvP, and they work so well together, especially if the Featured Character tanks a couple of those colours.