R158 Release Notes *Updated (8/2/18)

12345679»

Comments

• Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    JHawkInc said:
    Anon said:

The ability to no longer waste covers still hasn't set in yet. It feels like a dream.
    I have a disturbingly clean vine now, it is very off-putting lol
    I got grumpy at the uneven rate I'm acquiring Emma covers (still no purple at this point), then realized that with the new system I won't ever have covers going to waste while I'm trying to acquire the right color.

This will take some getting used to, but in a good way.
    Funnily enough, I had that exact same feeling this morning when looking at Emma. Too many years getting annoyed to stop that yet. 
    yeah, I had the same / similar feeling when I got a 14th cover today for Invisible Woman and was thinking I would need to scramble for 375k iso, then went "Wait, the cover saving update went live this week..."

*SAVE*

"Hmm, I wonder who I want to champ next..?"
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    jamesh said:
    jamesh said:
    Brigby said:
    Mujo5 said:
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. Historically patch updates have in fact been implemented on Mondays, however in this specific case, we anticipate that the R158 update will be going live on Wednesday instead. 

Thanks for understanding!
    Thank you for updating the first post with this information
    We normally do not announce when build updates go live, so I apologize for the confusion or frustration you may have experienced, due to this unique situation.

I have gone ahead and added this information to the original post so players are aware of this deviation from the norm.

I habitually get to work at 8 am, but if I'm going to be late, I let my team know by email before I would normally have been there.
    It's quite possible that this was a delay outside of their control, due to platform QA done by Apple, Google, Amazon, etc.  If you plan to hit publish on all builds simultaneously, you might not know that you'll miss the deadline until one of the QA approvals fails to arrive in time.

I'd imagine that they'd want this particular release to be as close to simultaneous as possible for fairness reasons (i.e. there'd be a big stink if Android users got to save the covers but Apple users had them expire, for instance).
    Yes, iOS, Android, Amazon, etc. all have their own builds, their own approval processes, and their own timelines for approval. It's completely out of the developer's hands once the updates / new content have been submit. So a more accurate analogy would be showing up for your flight with time to spare, but then being subjected to delays due to weather conditions, mechanical issues, etc. and being completely at the mercy of the airport / airline.

Like when my flight from LA to Auckland was cancelled last month because of a fuel leak in the aircraft and I had to overnight in LA, or when my flight from Auckland to Wellington was cancelled last year because of fog in Wellington.

As soon as I could I let my team know that I was delayed, and when my expected arrival was.

That's not a great analogy.  The flight across the pacific is essentially a fixed amount of time, so you know that a late departure will lead to a late arrival, so can plan ahead accordingly.

Keeping with travel metaphors, imagine you need to travel across a large city by road.  You know that traffic jams are somewhat common at some points you need to pass through, and when you get caught in one of the jams it is unpredictable how long it will take to pass.  So you give enough extra time to cover the 95th percentile delay.

Now lets say you're making one of these trips and you hit a traffic jam close to the end of the journey.  You don't know how long it will take to pass the jam, so at what point do you know for certain you'll miss the deadline?

Not my analogy, I was picking up and running with mega ghost's.

Moving on to yours, which is much better because it's kind of a car analogy, I'd let my team know I would be late when I knew for certain I'd be late.  Though in this case as the driver I'd be giving the job to a passenger, and who knows when they'd get around to telling the team.

My analogy was fine as I presented it, you just modified it to try to make your argument. Your modification adds a revised schedule with a fixed timeline, which the developers did not have, and claims that they did not let us know about these delays as soon as they found out about them — but as far as I can tell they did, and there's no evidence otherwise.

And separately, the relationship between free-to-play mobile game developer and its player base is not the same as the relationship between employee and employer/coworkers.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    jamesh said:
    jamesh said:
    Brigby said:
    Mujo5 said:
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. Historically patch updates have in fact been implemented on Mondays, however in this specific case, we anticipate that the R158 update will be going live on Wednesday instead. 

Thanks for understanding!
    Thank you for updating the first post with this information
    We normally do not announce when build updates go live, so I apologize for the confusion or frustration you may have experienced, due to this unique situation.

I have gone ahead and added this information to the original post so players are aware of this deviation from the norm.

I habitually get to work at 8 am, but if I'm going to be late, I let my team know by email before I would normally have been there.
    It's quite possible that this was a delay outside of their control, due to platform QA done by Apple, Google, Amazon, etc.  If you plan to hit publish on all builds simultaneously, you might not know that you'll miss the deadline until one of the QA approvals fails to arrive in time.

I'd imagine that they'd want this particular release to be as close to simultaneous as possible for fairness reasons (i.e. there'd be a big stink if Android users got to save the covers but Apple users had them expire, for instance).
    Yes, iOS, Android, Amazon, etc. all have their own builds, their own approval processes, and their own timelines for approval. It's completely out of the developer's hands once the updates / new content have been submit. So a more accurate analogy would be showing up for your flight with time to spare, but then being subjected to delays due to weather conditions, mechanical issues, etc. and being completely at the mercy of the airport / airline.

Like when my flight from LA to Auckland was cancelled last month because of a fuel leak in the aircraft and I had to overnight in LA, or when my flight from Auckland to Wellington was cancelled last year because of fog in Wellington.

As soon as I could I let my team know that I was delayed, and when my expected arrival was.

That's not a great analogy.  The flight across the pacific is essentially a fixed amount of time, so you know that a late departure will lead to a late arrival, so can plan ahead accordingly.

Keeping with travel metaphors, imagine you need to travel across a large city by road.  You know that traffic jams are somewhat common at some points you need to pass through, and when you get caught in one of the jams it is unpredictable how long it will take to pass.  So you give enough extra time to cover the 95th percentile delay.

Now lets say you're making one of these trips and you hit a traffic jam close to the end of the journey.  You don't know how long it will take to pass the jam, so at what point do you know for certain you'll miss the deadline?

Not my analogy, I was picking up and running with mega ghost's.

Moving on to yours, which is much better because it's kind of a car analogy, I'd let my team know I would be late when I knew for certain I'd be late.  Though in this case as the driver I'd be giving the job to a passenger, and who knows when they'd get around to telling the team.

My analogy was fine as I presented it, you just modified it to try to make your argument. Your modification adds a revised schedule with a fixed timeline, which the developers did not have, and claims that they did not let us know about these delays as soon as they found out about them — but as far as I can tell they did, and there's no evidence otherwise.

And separately, the relationship between free-to-play mobile game developer and its player base is not the same as the relationship between employee and employer/coworkers.

Initially I saw Brigby's post on not normally announcing when build updates go live, and thought something like:

Habitual behaviour leads to expectation and reliance.  Not constantly telling everyone that it's business as usual is fine, but any time that it's not business as usual, that should be communicated in a timely fashion, without the need for prompting.

I made that point with an example from my own life.  Perhaps I should have just posted the previous paragraph, that would have avoided all analogies and contentiousness.

In the first post quoted here, from page 6, Brigby did say that the release would be on Wednesday, not Monday, after some posts asking where the update was.

• Ron30
    Ron30 Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    edited August 2018
    Since this patch, it's horribly slow to apply champ levels. You're forced to watch the animation of the cover being applied, or tapping again to stop it. If I get 3 covers of the same character at the end of the event, I have to tap 6 taps to apply it. It's only a slight annoyance, sure, but it won't be slight when a big hoard of CP/LT is spent and you have 300 covers to apply. Can this please revert back to allowing us to quickly apply champ levels?