Are you selling your Gambit?

JohnnyStacks
JohnnyStacks Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
When the nerf goes live, are you selling him?  I'm curious as to what other players are going to do.  Mine is lvl 464, and I'm 99% sure I'm selling him.  I've actively avoided using him since nerf #2 was announced, and I've had a lot more enjoyment using more of my other characters, without any real game play deficit, other than speed.  Additionally, he's literally the only character I avoid in PVP (and I don't PVP that much), so I'd love to level up some more of my other 5*s.

Are you selling your Gambit? 177 votes

Yes
10%
firethorneJonny1PunchMoon Roachgravelspatenfloottiomonokenshohmer2Jarvindcrispynateevade420hodayathinkmonsieurmojoturbomooseStraycatpurplemurDlanningLoneHawkeyeLeRoy1979JohnnyStacks 19 votes
No
72%
DormammuThanosDragon_NexusZeiramMRKolenceTwystaSpiritclawColognoisseurrixmithkillercoolthedarkphoenixxKOBALTxBryan LambertentrailbucketPunter1Chrono_TataJexmanGrimSkaldabmorazwhitecat31 128 votes
Waiting until I try him post nerf
16%
poomermonafsplatsinnerjflburrichtrat73Dartmaster01chrisHmoss04Grizz875WarbringaLLohmZixKjeldbjergWEBGASxAzra3lxGoBucsGoGranulemaguirenumber6rg72KGB 30 votes

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    No
    I have a 1/1/1 Gambit so people like me don't give a tinykitty either way.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    No
    Dormammu said:
    I have a 1/1/1 Gambit so people like me don't give a tinykitty either way.
    I'm in that exact situation. I only need him for node access, so sellling him isn't going to do much for me
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    No
    Level 451 and keeping him. Seems he'll still be good, just not in his own tier above the rest.
    Besides, if I was to sell, I'd then want to build up from scratch again. Seems like a losing idea.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,414 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wish there was an option they provided that let us sell all his levels except for one cover.  I don't even care which cover, just one cover.  That would save me 250 CP to purchase him when he is required.

Or are they offering that and I missed it?
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    No
    Nope.  I didn’t sell OML (level 471 now) during his nerf and won’t for this one.  Hard to sell when you invested so much money, time and energy into a 5*.  Mine is level 494 currently. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    No
    Nope. The most important goal for me is champing every character. If I sold him it would just be an up hill climb to rechamp him later. 

I did sell OML, but at the time I only had 2 covers for him. I’ve already surpassed that on the rechamp road. 
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes
    Yup mine is 451. Selling him and going back to daredevil being my only cramped 5. I'm hoping the covers I get will get a few more of my 5's closer to champ status. 

In my opinion with his change he will not be worth using as one of your first 5* characters. His red/purple restriction limits too many other characters.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    No
    For essentials. I sold him the first time, sold OML back in the day, and while those experiences didn't hurt me, with Gambit, I should have paid more attention to the meta talk and ignored my own distaste for the character.

Actually, I'm sure selling my incomplete Gambit the first time probably slowed down my progress quite a bit... but I remember just having to lean harder into Panthos at the time.
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 786 Critical Contributor
    Yes
    I will sell him, I got him to 13 covers by luck and he is the only character I have champed

i would prefer to champ a couple of others so hopefully 13 chances at a 5* will get me up from 9 or 10 covers to 13

• BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    No
    Can any of you guys that have him fully covered/champed explain your logic on selling him? I don't have any champs yet, but I've got 5 fully covered, 3 that are 1 cover away, and many more that are 2-3 covers away. It's been one heck of a ride trying to get these guys fully covered - dupe covers and feeder covers thrown to the wayside because I'm not ready to enter 5-land, and desperately waiting on 5-star Bonus Hero pulls that are 6 months apart. Some of these guys have taken a year+ since I acquired their first cover to get them to this point, and I can't imagine having to start alllllll the way over from scratch.........do you just not care that you'll eventually need him for a feeder node again? Does the simple fact that you won't use him as often as you used to mean that he now has ZERO value as a champed character you invested so much into? I'm a collector and want everyone champed, so I suppose there's that, but I still don't get how you can just casually dump something that took so much time to acquire. We're not talking flipping OBWs here, these are the rarest covers of the game - especially the guys that have moved into Classics. 
  • moss04
    moss04 Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    I'll have to try him to be certain exactly how good or bad he is, but it's extremely annoying that if I find out he sucks I can't retain a single cover for the rare occasion he comes up as the 5-star essential. I think a lot of people, even if they never intend to use him again except for that rare occurrence will reluctantly feel compelled to keep him so they don't get **** when it does.
  • JohnnyStacks
    JohnnyStacks Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Yes
    Can any of you guys that have him fully covered/champed explain your logic on selling him? I don't have any champs yet, but I've got 5 fully covered, 3 that are 1 cover away, and many more that are 2-3 covers away. It's been one heck of a ride trying to get these guys fully covered - dupe covers and feeder covers thrown to the wayside because I'm not ready to enter 5-land, and desperately waiting on 5-star Bonus Hero pulls that are 6 months apart. Some of these guys have taken a year+ since I acquired their first cover to get them to this point, and I can't imagine having to start alllllll the way over from scratch.........do you just not care that you'll eventually need him for a feeder node again? Does the simple fact that you won't use him as often as you used to mean that he now has ZERO value as a champed character you invested so much into? I'm a collector and want everyone champed, so I suppose there's that, but I still don't get how you can just casually dump something that took so much time to acquire. We're not talking flipping OBWs here, these are the rarest covers of the game - especially the guys that have moved into Classics. 
    I actually kind of backed into mine.  I was hoarding for Parker, and ended up with a Champ Gambit right at the get go.  And yes, he was awesome.  He's been awesome.  But he's boring, and I think the upcoming nerf is going to slow him down a lot, and the main reason I used him was for speed, and in PVE, he's virtually a win in every match.  I don't play PVP or PVE competitively, so ranking means nothing to me, I just play for max progression in PVE and usually just the seeds in PVP, or more if there's extra time due to PVE schedule.  I have 27 5* covers coming if I sell my gambit, and well, I'd like to use my other 5*s.  I have DD, Parker, and AA champed in addition to Gambit right now, and there's good/fun teams I have for all of them.  I have several other 5*s at 8-11 covers, and it'd be great to get some more covers for them.  Losing out on the event token and 3 CP every time Gambit is the featured 5* is, in all reality, not going to hinder my long term goals.  I do not plan on getting any 5* to lvl 550, so that's not even a deterrent at all for me.  There are only about 3 or 4 5*s that I would prefer to not get more covers for, the rest could use a boost and make them more fun.  Additionally, I won't be scared of Gambit post nerf, so I won't need Gambit to fight Gambit.
  • Tensuun
    Tensuun Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Depends on the exchange rate, I think. I have him at 1/0/3 lv255 presently (and only very recently got the purple cover with BH), so my copy of him has never been that useful. If leveling him to 315(ish?) will let me sell him back and get four covers for something else, that'd be rad. Otherwise, 1/0/3 is better in PVE Essentials than 0/0/1, ...I guess.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have to try him first. Leaning towards selling him, but even if he's just usable a champed 5* has value.
  • kenshohmer2
    kenshohmer2 Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Yes
    Even with the upcoming "nerf" he is still OP. I will sell him and collect my other 5* . That doesn't make sense ? Neither does a character giving free AP
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’ll be selling three of him. I had a max-covered one and a single covered dupe (no iso in any of my 5s). Had CS break down the maxed one when they ended swaps. Rerostered him at 4/2/5 (so two feeder rewards would finish him off again one day) and rostered three single covered dupes.  I’ll press my luck in the Legendary store. 

It’s because for some people Gambit was their only decent 5 (or one of a couple). He’s been nerfed pretty bad and the restriction on teammate abilities makes him something of a liability. Sure the recent tweaks mean he’s slightly better and can now hang with the Ocks and Banners, but he’s strongly outclassed by the Thors, Jessica’s and Okoyes of the world. Most people saying “hallelujah!” have at least one (most likely 2 or 3) of the new meta to fall back on, so for them it’s no big deal and they’ll keep him for essentials. For others who only have Gambit as their roster centerpiece, selling could mean returning to 4* or single 5* MMR versus bringing a bottom tier 5 who blocks his allies abilities to a fight in which he’s severely outgunned.  Every single match. I get why some would sell and not look back. 
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 822 Critical Contributor
    No
    I have a 4/4/4 Gambit at 390. I'm not selling.The cost would far outweigh any benefits. And even though there's a lot of 5*s, I just know Murphy is waiting to give me more yellow covers for my 5/-/- Captain America, and more purple covers for my -/-/4 Hulk.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches said:
    Even with the upcoming "nerf" he is still OP. I will sell him and collect my other 5* . That doesn't make sense ? Neither does a character giving free AP
    You mean Thor? Who already gives more free AP?
     :* 
     It's not free,  it has a cost of half his health
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    No
    Technically speaking, yes and no.  I have a fully covered level 330 Gambit that I am keeping, just waiting to have some more fully covered 5*s and enough ISO to make the jump to 5* Land.  I also have a single cover dupe that will be sold.