Update to Gambit (Classic) Character Update (7/18/18)

Options

Comments

• Hoser
    Hoser Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I wish developers wouldnt penalize players that work years to build up a character just to have them tear it down because new players cant beat them. Its ridiculous. And they do it all the time, they did the same thing with OML. Why did you remove his ability to remove cs tiles?!!  You just took away his versatility. Some of us used him more for events. Why couldnt you just make purple damage less?  Im sorry, but I have pkayed this game since it was launched and have spent my fair share of money....only to have the developers disregard veteran pkayers for new pmayer complaints. 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hoser said:
    I wish developers wouldnt penalize players that work years to build up a character just to have them tear it down because new players cant beat them. Its ridiculous. And they do it all the time, they did the same thing with OML. Why did you remove his ability to remove cs tiles?!!  You just took away his versatility. Some of us used him more for events. Why couldnt you just make purple damage less?  Im sorry, but I have pkayed this game since it was launched and have spent my fair share of money....only to have the developers disregard veteran pkayers for new pmayer complaints. 
    This isn't a "veteran vs newbie" issue, and you aren't adding to the discussion by trying to paint one side as "new players complaining."

Further, the problem with his purple power IS the versatility. That's why they took it away. Because Gambit makes a joke out of the entire PvE side of the game, high SCLs, boss events, all of it. Gambit's ability to overwrite countdowns basically allows people who use him to ignore a significant portion of the game. Making it do less damage doesn't change the fact that it basically lets you neutralize PvE threats.
  • MgoBlue51
    MgoBlue51 Posts: 91 Match Maker
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    Hoser said:
    This isn't a "veteran vs newbie" issue, and you aren't adding to the discussion by trying to paint one side as "new players complaining."

Further, the problem with his purple power IS the versatility. That's why they took it away. Because Gambit makes a joke out of the entire PvE side of the game, high SCLs, boss events, all of it. Gambit's ability to overwrite countdowns basically allows people who use him to ignore a significant portion of the game. Making it do less damage doesn't change the fact that it basically lets you neutralize PvE threats.
    I agree, with overwriting CDs, he was too powerful by far. I literally would use maybe one healthpack in totally for my 4x clears in pve because if you didn’t do enough damage to down a high powered enemy, you could overwrite the goon CDs too. I get it. 

I still feel they went a LITTLE too far, but not enough to be outraged. Red power is basically useless now, ap generation is very weak now, and he still blocks ally powers. Make the repeater fortified or a 1 turn at 5 levels... or keep it as it will be, but remove the ally power block, and maybe meet in the middle of the damage decrease on red. Used to do 7.5k dmg per charged tile, now does like 4.5k... make it like 5.9k and I’m good with red. 

Hes not as useless as as he was going to be. The problem is... people are SICK of him. Forced to play against him, forced to play WITH him. Many forced to chase him forever and never get him. People are so sick of him that they want him demolished. Some are mad because he fell REALLY far from his perch, but they don’t take into consideration how high that perch was above the rest of the characters.

i just get confused. The developers have said in the past that they were fine/happy with gambit being the best 5, they just wanted to decrease the canyon between him and the others. Instead, they moved him from #1 to approximately #7 or so maybe? Again, not a terrible fall... I just worry because the devs now have a pattern of letting someone be tops for a long time and then move them down. Rather than moving other 5s up to even out the pack, they just cycle the top player back. I don’t know if I can trust any good character to not eventually be smacked back to the pack. Will someone be next? Can Thor be considered too good? Will okoye prove to be too good? Will they just have to release boring 5s from here on out because the tier is too messed up? I expect many wasp type characters from here on out. Higher health and match damage, and stronger powers than a 4*... and that’s it. Just take a 4 and ramp up their vitals. Basically 5s aren’t worth chasing
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Out of 26 5* that have been released, only 2 5* have been nerfed. I think you are a little paranoid.

The rest of the 5* that are pretty good are Thor, Thanos, Okoye, BP, BB, JJ.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Out of 26 5* that have been released, only 2 5* have been nerfed. I think you are a little paranoid.
    Every dominant character has been nerfed.
    Rags, Thorverine 1.0, Spidey blue, Cmags, Thorverine 2.0, OML.
    Get used to it, and champ everyone.
    That way you can just move to the next good character.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

The rest of the 5* that are pretty good are Thor, Thanos, Okoye, BP, BB, JJ.
    You ignore those that have been nerfed by power creep in both 4 and 5star tiers, like Phoenix.

oh, and remove BP from your list. He's only there because of his synergy with Thanos. No one ever runs him with another partner. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'm aware that the problem about power creep will be brought up. Wouldn't it be easier to reduce the newer 5* match damage rather increasing the rest of 5* match damage? I think the discrepancy started with AA, if I did not remember wrongly. So, what do you want to see the devs do? 

I suppose the main idea is to let every 5* have similar match damage and power damage/ap, and probably HP? I guess this would push up the rest of 5* and make many happy?
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Match damage has been on a major upward trend since the first 5, really. 5SL had a major increase and it’s pretty much gone up with every release since (not all, though).  Phoenix has horrible match damage and therefore is never used unless you have no other options.

The devs say power creep isn’t real, but when a new character isn’t better in some way than old ones, it defeats the purpose of the new (maintain fun and money flow).  Match damage power creep is irrefutable and part of the reason people chase new 5’s.
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Mass game uninstallation day is fast approaching.
    The Gambit nerf is the final straw for the abused MPQ gamer.
    This day will go down in history as the day MPQ screwed MPQ. It will herald the downfall of all free to play/ pay to win games.
    No longer will people be fooled into paying for pixels on a screen, No longer will we purchase VIP, Asgard Treasure or a Logan Loonie.
    People will return to genuinely FREE games like chess, solitaire and hangman. Quick in and out games, where you are not required to sit down for hours gaining unhealthy pounds in weight.
    Remember this day well, MPQ will be known as the Brett Hart of the games industry.
    It will be known as the Gambit screwjob.
    Where decent people pulled Gambit, the all singing all fighting pixel which saved you  precious time in pve. 
    The pixel which made you smile,...only for MPQ to kill him dead with the harshest Nerf the game has ever seen.
    Mass game uninstallation day is coming to a forum near you, probably a week after the Gambit Nerf.

#nuffsaid
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:

While I don't disagree with your conclusion (champ everyone,) we kind of need to put some perspective on this.  In order, we've seen the following nerfs (two of them were before my time, so excuse me if I miss anything)

Ragnarok

Spider-Man

Magneto (I'd argue this was more of a sideways move - they changed two of his powers significantly that were on their face meh, but actually very powerful used in certain ways other than how the devs intended. The third power they changed, but not substantially.  He ended up, IMHO, relatively balanced for the 3* tier, just far less exploitable.)

Sentry

Goddess Thor

X-Force Wolvie

OML

Gambit

So out of the above, I'd say that OML was the only nerf that wasn't wholly justified (and I think OML's nerf was kind of justified - they should have made him less useful to everyone but not reduced his power overall,) and, to be frank, predictable.  If we look at the numbers, we also see that it's 3 3*s, 2 4*s, and now 2 5*s.  So we have 3 out of 47 characters nerfed, 2 out of 68(!), and 2 out of 26.

Yes, it kind of sucks when it happens, but the vast majority of characters do not get nerfed.  We've seen far more buffs than nerfs.  Now, it's unfortunate that all the above nerfs (with the exception of Magneto, as noted above,) took the character from the top of the pack to near the middle at best, but unfortunately that's a hard line for the devs to tread, as we've seen with the "nerf" they made to Gambit already.

• Xavier_Mc
    Xavier_Mc Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Options
    GrimSkald said:
    Bowgentle said:

While I don't disagree with your conclusion (champ everyone,) we kind of need to put some perspective on this.  In order, we've seen the following nerfs (two of them were before my time, so excuse me if I miss anything)

Ragnarok

Spider-Man

Magneto (I'd argue this was more of a sideways move - they changed two of his powers significantly that were on their face meh, but actually very powerful used in certain ways other than how the devs intended. The third power they changed, but not substantially.  He ended up, IMHO, relatively balanced for the 3* tier, just far less exploitable.)

Sentry

Goddess Thor

X-Force Wolvie

OML

Gambit

So out of the above, I'd say that OML was the only nerf that wasn't wholly justified (and I think OML's nerf was kind of justified - they should have made him less useful to everyone but not reduced his power overall,) and, to be frank, predictable.  If we look at the numbers, we also see that it's 3 3*s, 2 4*s, and now 2 5*s.  So we have 3 out of 47 characters nerfed, 2 out of 68(!), and 2 out of 26.

Yes, it kind of sucks when it happens, but the vast majority of characters do not get nerfed.  We've seen far more buffs than nerfs.  Now, it's unfortunate that all the above nerfs (with the exception of Magneto, as noted above,) took the character from the top of the pack to near the middle at best, but unfortunately that's a hard line for the devs to tread, as we've seen with the "nerf" they made to Gambit already.

Didn't they nerf 3* Ironfist after a week or less of being released?
    I only had a few covers for him at the time so I'm not sure what the nerf was
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Xavier_Mc said:
    GrimSkald said:
    Bowgentle said:

Ragnarok

Spider-Man

Sentry

Goddess Thor

X-Force Wolvie

OML

Gambit

They did, he was a cascade mad man
  • GrimSkald
    Options
    Xavier_Mc said:
    They did, he was a cascade mad man

Oh, right, I had forgotten since it was so quick, so that's 4 out of 47 - almost 1 in 10. :)

Again, seems pretty obvious that it was a needed nerf - IF still sees a heck of a lot of use.  I mean, FistBuster used to be my go to for hops for a loooong time...

• MgoBlue51
    MgoBlue51 Posts: 91 Match Maker
    Options
    I just get bummed. Not mad, but bummed. It becomes a matter of “why chase anything” in this game. If they finally release a support worth having (doubtful), who’s to say it won’t get nerfed? Anytime anything becomes good or awesome, there’s a chance it will be changed later. 

Again, I am FOR the nerf in general, I just don’t agree with the nerf we got. It’s better than they almost did, but still a little far. With so many different characters, powers, synergies, mechanisms... someone has to be the top character in every tier. Let’s say, for a hypothetical example, that Thor is now the best 5. Is he nearly as good as gambit was? Of course not. But if he IS the best character now, and I chased gambit hard while still only getting 5 total Thor covers... and he is now in classics... I went from enjoying my 5s because I had at least the top character and then whoever else RNG let me have. Now? I may have some OK ones but can’t build the best character. I’m not trying to sound paranoid, I just feel that it’s a little demoralizing in the existential view. I am now questioning “what’s the point?”... time to just go with the flow and play more casually I suppose
  • moss04
    moss04 Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    Hoser said:

Why haven't the forums been tearing their hair out for years over teen Jean?
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    moss04 said:
    Because she doesn't self-generate Purple AP would be my assumption.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jackstar0 said:
    moss04 said:
    And we were tearing our hair out about her back when she was released. Jeanbusters were serious business.
  • GrimSkald
    Options

jackstar0 said:
    moss04 said:
    And we were tearing our hair out about her back when she was released. Jeanbusters were serious business.

True facts.  That was my go-to team for a while, though FistBuster was probably faster even with the 3* in it.

Regardless, Jean was never really seen as overpowered, this is probably because of two things that Gambit will have had (future past tense for the win!)

- Gambit's red dominates the game and fuels everything

- Gambit generates his own purple (and red) so his tile replacing power is inevitable.  Frequently 3-4 times per match.

Sure, Jean does completely negate 6 specials, but she doesn't generate her own AP, which is pretty big.  Heck, only SW generates purple for her, really, so that's a 3* with your 4* rather than two 4*s.  That being said, I do recall doing early runs of "Venom Bomb" with Jean/SW/ and someone else to tank.

• Mujo5
    Mujo5 Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Options
    @brigby please provide a table with buy back rates for Gambit.  My 9 Gambit cover is only worth 1 token. How much iso do I pump into him to get 9 tokens?
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Reposting this here for reference: 

Gambit sell-back rules (as quoted from Brigby's comment here: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/757767/#Comment_757767 )

"Players will get one(1) cover back for each cover they invested in him. For a pre-Championed Gambit, you will get a cover based on levels. You receive additional covers at 275, 287, 303, 319, 331, 347, 363, 375, 391, 407, 423, 439. You receive a cover back for each Champion level you apply to Gambit. "