Update to Gambit (Classic) Character Update (7/18/18)

Options

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thank you for pulling back the nerds on Gambit.  With these changes if players only have Gambit in the 5* tier they will still be able to use him.  As others have posted above with the 2 turn repeater tile I think the restriction on his partners could have been removed.  The big reason why is it would allow for Gambit it be built differently for differt players.  You could run Gambit 5,3,5 and bring a better red or 3,5,5 if you use someone who produces charge tiles.  
    Mad it is I think having someone to fortify Gambits repeater tile will be huge as they can be matched away and Gambit will no longer be meta.  He will be usable which I appreciate.
  • GamBaTron
    GamBaTron Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Are we still getting a free gambit cover for using him in an event during this season? Did that happen already? I used him in multiple events. 
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Options

I was assuming the restriction stayed in place to prevent Gam-battery coming back. Which I am ok with.

• tph_james
    tph_james Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Gambit is officially dead in pve and pvp:
    1. Red is too weak in SCL9.
    2. purple no longer overwrites cd, useless against maggias, ninjas, doom bots, mindless, etc.
    3. Black is slower and only feeds his own weak powers.
    Instead of just tuning his passive, I don't understand why they want to mess with his actives. 
    Time to say goodbye. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Is the LT for using him at some point between now and then still going out?
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 491 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Tony_Foot said:
    Tony_Foot said:
    Gambits red straight up sucks now, might be of use if they ever fix the Okoye bug.
    What Okoye bug?
    That okoyes team up black does not add to gambits second throw of red, It should and it’s been acknowledged as a bug but quite clearly avoiding fixing it until gambits nerf is live.

Im guessing it will be fixed then as I saw a screenshot yesterday of icex showing it working in testing, I think it was testing because it still doesn’t work for me.
    Where'd you see a screenshot from IceX of this working?
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Is the LT for using him at some point between now and then still going out?
    It’ll be given out at the start of next season, after he’s nerfed
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    And i can use him anywhere? PVP/PVE whatever? Mine is terrible, does it have to be in PVP, and if so, do I have to win a match? lol
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 491 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    And i can use him anywhere? PVP/PVE whatever? Mine is terrible, does it have to be in PVP, and if so, do I have to win a match? lol
    Hopefully using in in a feeder PVE node is enough.
    Maybe if you get lucky and find a seed node in PVP that could work too.
    That's what I did just now to make sure I used him at least somewhere, cause mine is unusable cover wise as well (4 2 2 @255).
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Here's the criteria to get free LT:

IceIX said:
    So if I use gambit even once during the next season I get a free LL? Does it have to be pvp or does pve nodes work too?
    He needs to be used in an event in the Mind Stone Season.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited July 2018
    Options
    and so "event in the Mind Stone Season" is a pvp event with that indicator on it then? I just went in to High Stakes and won a match with my 1/1/1 lvl 250, so I guess I'm good. Would be nice if we got some notification we met the criteria in-game
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,899 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Reading the comments thus far is hilarious. If I'm part of the dev/publishing/Marvel team I'm scratching my head. Gambit's never gonna be used again! All we're going to see is Gambit galore! He didn't get nerfed enough! He got nerfed too much! 

I, for one, as an investor of resources in this game, will see how this plays out. I've already noticed Gambit-fatigue in the Versus slice that I play in--many people who can and have ran Gambit before are no longer doing so. I think that trend will continue. His red is so pathetically weak now (as it should be since it can still be spammed) no one is going to be afraid of it--so if he's paired with JJ/Okoye/Thor you don't have to worry about their red powers (just make sure Gambit has fired red before you down him). It appears to now be a race to down Gambit before his purple CD's go off. Should be fun!

I understand both sides: he was ridiculously OP to begin with and when so many people invested so much into him, they understandably don't want him to drop to unusable. I'm really hoping the lesson learned here is that more care needs to be put into a toon before they are released to prevent changes to that character in the future. Gambit was broken on release, and that's on the devs. The reverse has recently occurred as well: Wasp is absolute trash. But their track record for improving toons doesn't seem to stack up to their desire to nerf them, at least in the 5* tier.
    Players are really, really bad at judging characters on paper (even me!).  I'm not sure why.  You can go back in this forum and read tons of fun and extremely wrong hot-takes on pre-release characters though.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    Options
    So every 2 turns he will gen 6 ap passively and when he fires red creates 3 (!!) charges which now makes him even more powerful and hugely increases the likelihood that you’re gonna take a full blast at some point.  And he’s getting a health boost.  Once again, you have missed the point and it will still be a never ending parade of gambit in pvp.  

//Removed Insult -Brigby
    No it won't.  His red damage has been nearly halved and its AP cost increased.  His purple now doesn't overwrite tiles.  The damage has been increased though making it his best offensive weapon. However, you would have to tank his red to 3 covers, making it nearly useless and his black prevents you from having any other red active powers on your team which is brutal since red is the primary damage dealing color in MPQ.  Most importantly, his AP destruction has been removed and AP generation has been decreased by 25% and is now conditional. It can be matched away and/or manipulated by other powers unlike his AP generation before.  He will probably be solid mid tier after these slight readjustments they just announced however characters like Thor/Okoye/JJ will be better options for offense which is the only thing that PvP is about now with his nerf.  If they removed his AP color restrictions for allies he would still be top tier.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Warbringa said:
    No it won't.  His red damage has been nearly halved and its AP cost increased.  His purple now doesn't overwrite tiles.  ...

Just wanted to make clear that it still overwrites strikes, protects, and attacks, just not CDs and Repeaters
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I was assuming the restriction stayed in place to prevent Gam-battery coming back. Which I am ok with.

Also, since apparently Red powers are the best damage dealers (according to other posts here) allowing him to feed others' Red powers would do nothing to increase team diversity. 

Best 2 5*s have good (or even fine) Red powers? Gambit is an auto-include 3rd.