Update to Gambit (Classic) Character Update (7/18/18)

Options

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gambit movie might be out next year June, so we might get another Gambit.
  • tph_james
    tph_james Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Coming soon: Gambit-only support "Sucks to not have this one", at rank 5 reinstates all Gambit's current powers.
    Then it will be the first support worth chasing.. Hahaha
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,499 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    Options
    GrimSkald said:

@ GrimSkald Yeah, firing every single turn without fail is obviously a bit of an exaggeration. At the same time, you're not accounting for the cascades that happen after Thor destroys tiles. I understand why, it's a hard thing to quantify and/or measure due to it's random nature but it does happen and often. I'd say from looking at it from the context of personal play that it's at least 50% of the time. There is no way to know when, what color or how many matches will happen each turn but it's a ton of extra ap on top of the 6 he actually breaks. I don't think there's a way to measure it without using that team though because it's always going to be different than the numbers on paper.

With that said, I really don't care if Gambit's black has the restriction or not. I know it wouldn't be healthy for the game but if they remove it at some point in the future, I'll be one of the worst offenders exploiting it.

Heh, fair enough.  I'm not so sure myself, but you may well be right.  His black is certainly a lot more exploitable without that restriction.

I'm glad they walked back some of the Gambit nerf, to be honest.  I think the current nerf is going to take him well out of the band of "useful for PVP" characters, but he still may have some value in PVE.

But the “useful for PVP” band just got way larger with old gambit gone.  So much so that you can use new gambit in it.
    Hmmm.  Maaaaybe?  I think he's going to be too slow, but he may still be good with Bolt (they don't overlap in anything other than passives,) and Hawkeye.

Hawkeye in particular may be decent -- pre-nerf you pretty much just spammed the purple to get rid of enemy tiles and didn't really care if they went off.  Post-nerf, the damage has become a lot more of the point, and Hawkeye will fortify those tiles.  Also, Hawkeye generates charged tiles with his third arrow...

Goblin is another obvious partner for him, though speaking for myself I don't really have one.

The other upside to this is that JJ becomes a lot more viable in PVP, and LumberCap actually has a chance to be used now...
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2018
    Options
    This is absolutely ridiculous to see such an OP & broken character receive such pampering with a kid-gloves nerf. You 1st nerfed him with a buff..... then gave him a long overdue nerf that we wanted ..... only to nerf his nerf with another buff before it even went live? Increased his health, more charged tiles for more broken gambolt synergy and a huge upgrade to purple damage. Pure garbage & bad for the health of the game overall not just the 5* tier.

Meanwhile all the barely viable bargain bin classic 5* receive no quality of life upgrades, buffs or long overdue maintenance.

okoye starting health at 450 is about 60,000. Phoenix starting health is 42,000 at 450 and okoye has an amazing power set with disgusting broken gameplay with Thor AND nearly 200% increases in base match damage over Phoenix in one of her primaries? This is beyond power creep this is sloppy game design, development and poor managing of the games highest tier.

Yet OML was absolutely gutted and killed with the biggest overnerf NO ONE ASKED FOR..... and we got horrible compensation with 2:1 “ no more guns “ tokens after spending tons of time and money chasing him.... but gambit is treated like royalty? Shame on you D3 and Devs. Incredibly weak & insulting. You gonna buff all the rest of the 5* tiers health as well so they can “ survive longer fights “ too? Brigby you do a decent job here and not directing this all at you but come on..... how blind is the character Dev team who made gambit and now is buffing the nerf? 
    I dont understand this train of thought, you want him nerfed hard like others because the others where nerfed hard? That's not healthy for the game, with these changes gambit is still useful but no longer a one stop shop. 
  • thedarkphoenix
    Options
    GrimSkald said:
    GrimSkald said:

@ GrimSkald Yeah, firing every single turn without fail is obviously a bit of an exaggeration. At the same time, you're not accounting for the cascades that happen after Thor destroys tiles. I understand why, it's a hard thing to quantify and/or measure due to it's random nature but it does happen and often. I'd say from looking at it from the context of personal play that it's at least 50% of the time. There is no way to know when, what color or how many matches will happen each turn but it's a ton of extra ap on top of the 6 he actually breaks. I don't think there's a way to measure it without using that team though because it's always going to be different than the numbers on paper.

With that said, I really don't care if Gambit's black has the restriction or not. I know it wouldn't be healthy for the game but if they remove it at some point in the future, I'll be one of the worst offenders exploiting it.

Heh, fair enough.  I'm not so sure myself, but you may well be right.  His black is certainly a lot more exploitable without that restriction.

I'm glad they walked back some of the Gambit nerf, to be honest.  I think the current nerf is going to take him well out of the band of "useful for PVP" characters, but he still may have some value in PVE.

But the “useful for PVP” band just got way larger with old gambit gone.  So much so that you can use new gambit in it.
    Hmmm.  Maaaaybe?  I think he's going to be too slow, but he may still be good with Bolt (they don't overlap in anything other than passives,) and Hawkeye.

Hawkeye in particular may be decent -- pre-nerf you pretty much just spammed the purple to get rid of enemy tiles and didn't really care if they went off.  Post-nerf, the damage has become a lot more of the point, and Hawkeye will fortify those tiles.  Also, Hawkeye generates charged tiles with his third arrow...

Goblin is another obvious partner for him, though speaking for myself I don't really have one.

The other upside to this is that JJ becomes a lot more viable in PVP, and LumberCap actually has a chance to be used now...
    Gambit hawkeye with be a thing again for those that have hawkeye covered. 
  • MgoBlue51
    MgoBlue51 Posts: 91 Match Maker
    Options
    Wouldn't that be similar with his previous ability? Generating aps freely.
    My problem is the matching away. You get an additional chance to destroy the countdown. If you get a bad board, he could generate no extra AP while still blocking ally abilities. I felt like a 1 turn repeater (not protected) would be a better thing than a 2 turn. 2 turn repeaters, similar to high CD tiles, usually get destroyed before they get to be useful. I was hoping for better on that power, I am cool with everything else. Def not gonna use his red very often though, that’s a huge damage reduction. Time to re spec him
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is absolutely ridiculous to see such an OP & broken character receive such pampering with a kid-gloves nerf. You 1st nerfed him with a buff..... then gave him a long overdue nerf that we wanted ..... only to nerf his nerf with another buff before it even went live? Increased his health, more charged tiles for more broken gambolt synergy and a huge upgrade to purple damage. Pure garbage & bad for the health of the game overall not just the 5* tier.

Meanwhile all the barely viable bargain bin classic 5* receive no quality of life upgrades, buffs or long overdue maintenance.

okoye starting health at 450 is about 60,000. Phoenix starting health is 42,000 at 450 and okoye has an amazing power set with disgusting broken gameplay with Thor AND nearly 200% increases in base match damage over Phoenix in one of her primaries? This is beyond power creep this is sloppy game design, development and poor managing of the games highest tier.

Yet OML was absolutely gutted and killed with the biggest overnerf NO ONE ASKED FOR..... and we got horrible compensation with 2:1 “ no more guns “ tokens after spending tons of time and money chasing him.... but gambit is treated like royalty? Shame on you D3 and Devs. Incredibly weak & insulting. You gonna buff all the rest of the 5* tiers health as well so they can “ survive longer fights “ too? Brigby you do a decent job here and not directing this all at you but come on..... how blind is the character Dev team who made gambit and now is buffing the nerf? 
    I dont understand this train of thought, you want him nerfed hard like others because he others where nerfed hard? That's not healthy for the game, with these changes gambit is still useful but no longer a one stop shop. 
    Still bitter, I guess.
  • vaportrail
    vaportrail Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Options
    When do these changes go live?  Monday?  Beginning of next season on Thursday?
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think I'm going to commit to selling my gambit. It will put me back to daredevil being my only 5*. I found the single 5* meta to be pretty fun. So I will stick to just one until I have 2 or 3 more I can champ.

I'm just bummed that there is zero chance to pull a doc ock from the selling of gambit. I find otto to be fun.
  • Jonny1Punch
    Jonny1Punch Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My previous post wasn’t me being bitter. I’m quick to praise the game when a great change is implemented and I’m quick to voice my opinion when something smells rotten.

Of course the OML nerf will never sit right with me nor will the thoress/XFW nerf. My time, money and resources were wasted and devalued substantially with the Logan nerf and that will always suck. My money and time are never things I like wasted. I’ve moved on and now I’m looking to ensure that ideas and nerfs are handled fairly across the board without special treatment. Gambit is very clearly receiving special treatment in how he is being reworked more so then any character I’ve ever seen in MPQ. The handling of gambit has gone above and beyond what we all have come to expect from changes .

However, my point here was truly only about the massive disparity between how the nerf was handled as well as compensation and player feedback with OML vs Gambit.

A major disconnect between the devs and the players is obvious here. Along with a huge disregard for older classic 5* and tons of inconsistencies with how the 5* tier is handled regarding buffs & nerfs.

To write off my views as “ angry OML guy” is preposterous. I want balance, fair treatment and consistent precedents set among the 5* tier. With OML a very sloppy and careless nerf was implemented, hence a new precedent for a 5* nerf. With gambit we are seeing the opposite. A very soft, gentle rework that has gone back and forth without even having the change gone live. The prior nerf was generous and should have gone live for a season then been re-evaluated. To increase his health so he can “ survive longer fights “ was the nail in the coffin for me as we have so many glass jawed heroes in the 5* tier with such low health they are decimated within a handful of turns already.

i want gambit balanced and good, but he’s soaked up way too much time in the spotlight already and was already dominant and OP for so long . Time to focus on bringing up older 5s and being far more careful with newer 5s.

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is nice to see. The previously-announced version would have been a complete cripple and not worth using. This version takes him down to where he'll still be usable, but doesn't utterly dominate like he has for far too long.
  • Jonny1Punch
    Jonny1Punch Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    fmftint said:
    So they give plenty of lead time on the rework ,  take feedback on said rework,  tweek the build based on said feedback,  and your still not happy.

Most players would see this as implementers improvements to the prodded process
    The previous rework never even went live ....... we never got a chance to put him out in the wild with the previous nerf. Of course I’m unsatisfied the last nerf was very fair with a health increase and a big buff to purple. Because so many people rely solely on gambit and many have him as their only maxed 5* enough people whined & moaned about losing their precious god mode that it worked. They reworked a good nerf that never even got put into effect and we now have a very pampered, soft, kid glove rebalance that keeps gambit very OP and exploitable in many new and old ways.

The reason I cry wolf is two reasons:

1) We have all swarmed this forum with many other better alternatives to past nerfs but we were never listened to until Gambit worshippers came through. Why? How is gambit more important then all other 5* and 4*? 

2) The amount of attention & TLC gambit is receiving is unprecedented. He’s the most OP character ever and the new changes barely address our complaints. He’s pretty much an average human man who throws charged objects yet he murders every other hero including legitimate God’s like Thanos, Surfer and Dark Phoenix ( all 3 on many most powerful T10 lists in marvel ).

None of this adds up. It’s sloppy, inconsistent and lazy character design, development & maintenance all around. 
    Gambit is setting a precedent ive never seen before and I’m one of the oldest veterans in the game .
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,163 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    And yet you still continue to play the game and visit the forums.
  • ohp5000
    ohp5000 Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Options
    gambit in the comics has the potential to be more powerful than phoenix before mr sinister depowered him (at gambits request). one of the most powerful characters in marvel, but they nerfed him in comics as well. 
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    But Pylgrim! So many others in this very thread think Gambit is still overpowered! How can we all be so off on this guy?? You think he was neutered, others think he'll still reign supreme... I confoosed.
  • thedarkphoenix
    Options
    I truly dont know how anyone can think he's OP. He's still "good" as far as 5 goes but imo, there are only a handful of actual "good" 5's in the 1st place so thats not a bad spot to fall in.

But people saying he's OP still... no....just no. 

Gambit's damage from his red has always been the culprit. People are just still stuck on the fact that he can generate ap...and then when they "nerfed" him his ap destruction 

But so what if you can generate AP if you are the only one that can use the colors and one of the power does really sub par damage and the other is on  3 sec countdown tiles. 

His saving grace might be his health, meaning he might be tanky enough to where people can't just blow through him in pvp. A gambit,thor or okoye team might take a bit to burn through.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    But Pylgrim! So many others in this very thread think Gambit is still overpowered! How can we all be so off on this guy?? You think he was neutered, others think he'll still reign supreme... I confoosed.
    Probably, you know, the people who think he is still overpowered don't have him and haven't played with him, but hate him and wish that he truly was made so bad that they don't have to see him again? Just you wait until the dust settles and they stop seeing Gambit and start seeing Thor all over the place and you'll see those very same people claiming for an equally severe nerf for him.
    I truly dont know how anyone can think he's OP. He's still "good" as far as 5 goes but imo, there are only a handful of actual "good" 5's in the 1st place so thats not a bad spot to fall in.

But people saying he's OP still... no....just no. 

Gambit's damage from his red has always been the culprit. People are just still stuck on the fact that he can generate ap...and then when they "nerfed" him his ap destruction 

But so what if you can generate AP if you are the only one that can use the colors and one of the power does really sub par damage and the other is on  3 sec countdown tiles. 

His saving grace might be his health, meaning he might be tanky enough to where people can't just blow through him in pvp. A gambit,thor or okoye team might take a bit to burn through.
    How can a character with the worst damage power in red among characters of the same tier be "good"? Also note that his HP is low for the average newer 5* and if memory serves, they are only raising it by like 4k, which barely puts him around the average. He's not "tanky" under any definition of the word.