Update to Gambit (Classic) Character Update (7/18/18)

Options

Comments

• Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Although given how much play characters like IM40 and Vulture get at their respective levels, a character at the 5* level who is primarily used as a support/AP-feeder for other characters would actually be a nice and useful addition. Thor kinda does it, and Okoye is a type of 'support' with her extra damage, but no one really just feeds and helps.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I was assuming the restriction stayed in place to prevent Gam-battery coming back. Which I am ok with.

Also, since apparently Red powers are the best damage dealers (according to other posts here) allowing him to feed others' Red powers would do nothing to increase team diversity. 

Best 2 5*s have good (or even fine) Red powers? Gambit is an auto-include 3rd
    Okoye/Thor/Gam-battery would be all I ever used. I mean who doesn't want to just spam thor's red for 60k-80k every turn with thor and gambit feeding red. It would be awesome for those that have it and worse than current Gambit for those that don't, so not healthy for the game considering they are trying to bring Gambit in line.

I don't know, like I said Gambit's AP generation will be incredibly inconsistent.  Pre-Nerf it's straight 2AP/Turn (plus -2/turn from your opponent..)  Post Nerf on paper it's 6AP every other turn (so 3 AP/Turn,) but in actual practice I suspect the repeater is going to go off, at best, 2/3 of the time - remember each time it gets destroyed it adds an additional turn to the count down on top of wherever it was (one turn to create, one turn to tick down, then it gives AP.)  This comes out to about the same, but luck will play a big factor.

>shrug< I mean, if he doesn't block other characters' abilities then it does mean he will feed them, but I'll tell you right now, I'm not going to bring him just as a feeder, a slot in my team is way more valuable than that.  If Gambit brings nothing but AP (inconsistent AP, at that,) I'll just take someone else.  Also, he's not going to fuel enough AP to, as in Dart's example, fire anything every turn, even with Thor (below 50% Thor feeds about 2ap from each of his colors, he rarely gives more.)

• Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2018
    Options

@ GrimSkald Yeah, firing every single turn without fail is obviously a bit of an exaggeration. At the same time, you're not accounting for the cascades that happen after Thor destroys tiles. I understand why, it's a hard thing to quantify and/or measure due to it's random nature but it does happen and often. I'd say from looking at it from the context of personal play that it's at least 50% of the time. There is no way to know when, what color or how many matches will happen each turn but it's a ton of extra ap on top of the 6 he actually breaks. I don't think there's a way to measure it without using that team though because it's always going to be different than the numbers on paper.

With that said, I really don't care if Gambit's black has the restriction or not. I know it wouldn't be healthy for the game but if they remove it at some point in the future, I'll be one of the worst offenders exploiting it.

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@ GrimSkald Yeah, firing every single turn without fail is obviously a bit of an exaggeration. At the same time, you're not accounting for the cascades that happen after Thor destroys tiles. I understand why, it's a hard thing to quantify and/or measure due to it's random nature but it does happen and often. I'd say from looking at it from the context of personal play that it's at least 50% of the time. There is no way to know when, what color or how many matches will happen each turn but it's a ton of extra ap on top of the 6 he actually breaks. I don't think there's a way to measure it without using that team though because it's always going to be different than the numbers on paper.

With that said, I really don't care if Gambit's black has the restriction or not. I know it wouldn't be healthy for the game but if they remove it at some point in the future, I'll be one of the worst offenders exploiting it.

Heh, fair enough.  I'm not so sure myself, but you may well be right.  His black is certainly a lot more exploitable without that restriction.

I'm glad they walked back some of the Gambit nerf, to be honest.  I think the current nerf is going to take him well out of the band of "useful for PVP" characters, but he still may have some value in PVE.

• beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @Brigby I think I'm gonna need another season of unnerfed Gambit just so I can truly process and fully digest these newly proposed changes, My roster and state of mind will be better emotionally equipped by then. Thanks.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I only wish it would take effect right at the end of the current season. The off-season buffer would be just fine to let people adjust their thinking and decide how crazy they want to get.

I'll be keeping my Gambit simply for essential PvE. All PvE is easier with a massively boosted 5*.
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options
    GrimSkald said:

Heh, fair enough.  I'm not so sure myself, but you may well be right.  His black is certainly a lot more exploitable without that restriction.

I'm glad they walked back some of the Gambit nerf, to be honest.  I think the current nerf is going to take him well out of the band of "useful for PVP" characters, but he still may have some value in PVE.

But the “useful for PVP” band just got way larger with old gambit gone.  So much so that you can use new gambit in it.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    But the “useful for PVP” band just got way larger with old gambit gone.  So much so that you can use new gambit in it.
    That's the hope, certainly.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    *Evil laughs*

*hahahahah*
    *ahahahahahaha!*

That slick talkin cajun can't be kept down!

Woohoo!
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think gambit will be ok with these changes.  He just needs to play a bit differently now. 3/5/5 or potentially 5/5/3  or (4/4/5 with blackbolt) with purple being his new nuke.

Gambit won't be a one stop defeat all now, but he should still do ok. A bit more inconsistent since he can't counter his own count down tiles now and his ap generation can be stopped and isn't guaranteed each turn. 

Good luck to any character that get his with his purple though. 30k damage is nothing to sneeze at, he'll also work much better with Black bolt now... ironically.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    Options
    He will be fun with 4* Capt Marvel and Coulson too.  That countdown tile should buff a ton friendly tiles pretty fast when paired with Capt Marvel. Coulson has a power that reduces countdown tiles too I think and adds random AP when a tile goes to 0.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    GamBaTron said:
    Are we still getting a free gambit cover for using him in an event during this season? Did that happen already? I used him in multiple events. 

This will actually come during next season when his nerd goes live.
  • MgoBlue51
    MgoBlue51 Posts: 91 Match Maker
    Options
    I like the walk back on the nerf. I think they could have eliminated the repeater tile and just kept it as a passive, but keeping the change to not allow enemy ap destruction. My CD and repeater tiles often get matched very quickly, many times before they even fire once. I would have preferred something like anytime the repeater tile gets matched away, gambit no longer blocks his allies from firing red or purple powers... woulda been a cool strategy of “to match or not to match”. Wasted opportunity if you ask me. Frustrating but not earth shattering 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Or they could just make it a fortified repeater tile at 5 covers.
  • MgoBlue51
    MgoBlue51 Posts: 91 Match Maker
    Options
    Or they could just make it a fortified repeater tile at 5 covers.
    I also would have liked the countdown to go down to 1 at level 5
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wouldn't that be similar with his previous ability? Generating aps freely.
  • tph_james
    tph_james Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
    Options
    No point for us to argue again at this point. The dev is determined to exile gambit from the way they meddle in all 3 powers recently. Just live with it. Find a new meta 
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Coming soon: Gambit-only support "Sucks to not have this one", at rank 5 reinstates all Gambit's current powers.