Update to Gambit (Classic) Character Update (7/18/18)

Options

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,903 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For real, it's not worth trying to appease the people who were angry about the initial nerf announcement.  You've got their money already, and they're going to cry bloody murder about *any* change you make to any character or game mechanic.  (Such a slap in the face!!!)  Stick to your guns and do what you think is right.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    For real, it's not worth trying to appease the people who were angry about the initial nerf announcement.  You've got their money already, and they're going to cry bloody murder about *any* change you make to any character or game mechanic.  (Such a slap in the face!!!)  Stick to your guns and do what you think is right.
    They are. They listened to everyone that agreed Gambit needed fixing but that the previous fix went too far.
    So you're totally cool with this nerf?  In 2 minutes there'll be 100 angry Gambit users showing up here to complain that this *still* goes too far.  They're already asking for the removal of ally power lockout.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Megaturd said:
    @Brigby the previous nerf post mentioned a health boost for gambit. Based on the revisions described in the post should we still expect to see a health boost to gambit when these changes are implemented? If so, can you provide any information on the new health specs?

Thanks
    No change to that, he'll still be getting a health boost.
  • marshall
    marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
    Options
    There's no way to please the autoplay people. He's not meta anymore, but he's quite decent and holds his own, that what we all wanted.

Can't wait to climb with roster diversity like I used to in 4* land.
  • TheXMan
    TheXMan Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    Options
    As many people have said, remove the restriction on black.  I thought they were trying to increase diversity...this limits options
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2018
    Options
    So every 2 turns he will gen 6 ap passively and when he fires red creates 3 (!!) charges which now makes him even more powerful and hugely increases the likelihood that you’re gonna take a full blast at some point.  And he’s getting a health boost.  Once again, you have missed the point and it will still be a never ending parade of gambit in pvp.

//Removed Insult -Brigby
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thank you for this revision and the effort to listen to feedback prior to having the changes go live.

If we ever have a 'dud' new character launch it would be fantastic if they could undergo a timely buff like this one in order to keep people interested.   Take 5* wasp for example, early testers universally agree she is flat out the worst 5* in the game right now.   Run with their feedback and buff her next season while she's still in latest legends.

As for the Gambit changes....

Red is an interesting change and we'll need to see it play out.  On paper its a pure support skill now rather than a damage dealer.  I'm definitely MUCH happier with this take on it than the prior 10 cost overkill version.  I'm thinking the damage is so low here our default build will be 3 red save for maybe a 4/4/5 build when paired with Black Bolt.

Glad you didn't modify the purple as that seems extremely well rebalanced to begin with.

The change to black is welcome and could really make or break the characters viability.   I have hope that this make him viable with characters other than Bolt and Surfer which is a good thing IMO.   People invested a lot into Gambit and nerfing him to the ground is not the best way to treat people. 

Looking forward to getting some hands on with this new version.  
    Thanks again for responding to our feedback!
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Seems just about right. Maybe consider banning gamergate types that try to get people fired. 
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    So, when should we expect the update to the update to the nerf?  Another 9 months or so?  Until then we can all continue to enjoy Gambit Puzzle Quest.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    With the change to black, is it possible to do the same for Scarlet Witch? =)
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,710 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    Options
    16 red Ap for less than 10k damage and he locks out someone with a far better red like riri. Yeah he’s never getting used anymore.

Let me choose my 13 covers as replacement even if it has to be on one character and we can stop this silly charade.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Brigby can you try and get us some insight into the devs reasoning for still not removing the red/purple restriction on teammate abilities? Do they think he'd be overpowered again with that or just not like ap generaters or what? 

Yeah, we dont need that restriction anymore
  • Mujo5
    Mujo5 Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Options
    I always enjoy reading information posts that refer to amendments to previous information posts without actually linking or quoting previous information posts. As always great communication. 
  • Tony_Foot
    Options
    turul said:
    @Brigby can you try and get us some insight into the devs reasoning for still not removing the red/purple restriction on teammate abilities? Do they think he'd be overpowered again with that or just not like ap generaters or what? 

I'm not so sure. I'd love to try it admittedly but I'd just run Okoye with Gambit generating red for her while tanking, run gambit at 3 red and obliterate the enemy. Or 4blade and Okoye. Yeah that wouldn't be meta defining for now but it causes limitations and concerns on future releases for red a and purple users, then you have the AP generating supports to consider as well. When something generating Purple or Red comes along like Chimi or the new Antman purple one you are creating a very painful experience when they inevitably hit pvp.

Gambits red straight up sucks now, might be of use if they ever fix the Okoye bug.
  • MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Tony_Foot said:
    Gambits red straight up sucks now, might be of use if they ever fix the Okoye bug.
    What Okoye bug?
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tony_Foot said:
    turul said:

I'm not so sure. I'd love to try it admittedly but I'd just run Okoye with Gambit generating red for her while tanking, run gambit at 3 red and obliterate the enemy. Or 4blade and Okoye. Yeah that wouldn't be meta defining for now but it causes limitations and concerns on future releases for red a and purple users, then you have the AP generating supports to consider as well. When something generating Purple or Red comes along like Chimi or the new Antman purple one you are creating a very painful experience when they inevitably hit pvp.

Red and purple generation is so slow and unreliable for him, it wont break anything now. There are better powers generating desired AP.
  • Tony_Foot
    Options
    Tony_Foot said:
    What Okoye bug?
    That okoyes team up black does not add to gambits second throw of red, It should and it’s been acknowledged as a bug but quite clearly avoiding fixing it until gambits nerf is live.

Im guessing it will be fixed then as I saw a screenshot yesterday of icex showing it working in testing, I think it was testing because it still doesn’t work for me.