Latest Legends 5-Star Cover Exchanges *Updated (6/15/18)

Options

Comments

• Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It's painfully ironic that after I read this post, I immediately pulled a cover for beard that I already had 5 in.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Fast forward to today, and you’ll find that cover exchange requests account for more than 30% of Customer Support’s ticket volume. 
    So what will CS be doing with this 30% time back?  
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Fast forward to today, and you’ll find that cover exchange requests account for more than 30% of Customer Support’s ticket volume. 
    So what will CS be doing with this 30% time back?   

Looking for new jobs? 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited June 2018
    Options
    658_2 said:
    This makes hoarding more important, again.  Do you guys realize it’s not fun to take no rewards for 3-6 months?  With cover swaps, people were finally able to not hoard and still cover most 5s.
    This is my biggest thing.

I was able to actually play the game and keep it some what fresh and fun with newer 5's coming in since I hate hording. You bust a bunch of stuff open and don't really get to play and enjoy the characters leveling up...

With the way 5's the swaps and LL worked I could play without hording and grow my roster and still be competitive.. now if I dont horde it feels like a huge waste... and it takes to long to get 5's to waste anymore time.
    Would you mind explaining how it's better to stockpile tokens following this change? It'd be good to get some insight on why some players' behaviors may adjust to follow this strategy moving forward.

Update: A couple of players have been kind enough to explain why players would stockpile tokens, if they're focusing specifically on Latest Legend 5-Star characters. Thank you for the insight!
  • Toweliesox
    Toweliesox Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I never ever post complaints about this game but here we go. 

1. 5 covers for 1!!!!!! You have literally now just forced people to mass pull before the deadline, and then forced everyone to hoard until they have 0 over the latest 5*'s or have champs they dont mind increasing. 

2. Why don't you just do colourless for latest?! Then you keep everyone happy, and make it so nobody is contacting CS! 

I do not understand why you guys do this......it's so *tinykitty* frustrating. 

Edited to remove profanity - fight4thedream

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,546 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like the idea behind this feature, but if you want to cover a new 5*, you absolutely have to hoard like a maniac, now. Combined with the decision to undo vaulting, this game just got reeeeeeeally slow. 
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I was excited about the cover swap thing until this news. A Latest 5* swap ratio of 5:1 is utterly ridiculous. I'd be okay with 5:1 for Classics, but for Latest? No way. 
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    nycjonny said:
    Brigby are the swaps that happen to another LL when and if you have an LL character at 550 also ending? 
    As of right now, we do not plan to continue any cover exchange policies following the 27th.
    So this will never be me, but there are enough 550 players out there now that this doesn’t make sense.  If you have 550/530/520 you will not be able to move those covers from the 550 to your 530?  Then what do you do with them?  Sell them for Iso you don’t need?  Build a dupe for nothing?  What are they to do with them once they are 550 and get a dupe?  
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    thedarkphoenix said:
    bowla33 said:
    DarkPhx - because your chances of getting a particular 5 are still much higher. .
    This doesnt matter as much now though, paying 25 cp was worth it to me because of 2 things the chances of getting 1 of 3 5's and being able swap covers. It also meant I needed to horde a bit or really rush and push to get a character that I wanted before they went to classic's.

Now why should I pay 5 more CP a pull for increased chances to get a cover that I'd just store until I could use it or (hopefully never get 5 of) and change the cover.

I'll just take my chances on classics for that much.

The only time this would change is if super strong 5's like thor and gambit came around... otherwise I don't really see the point. Mines well grow you 5 collection slowly now.

But for people in 5* territory or looking to join it, the characters only really become useful once you can champ them. That's why you still pull Latests - because it focusses down on 3 5*s, so you actually have a chance to reach 13+ covers and champ them. If you pull Classics, with the wild dilution of 20+ 5*s, it's liable to take you forever to get any of them champed. Basically, many people would be happier ending up with 2 or 3 usable 5*s than 20 with a couple of covers that might end up as 8 or 9 usable two or three years down the line.

As for why you'd now hoard more, @Brigby, it's because you'd need more coverage to make sure you could champ the Latest 5*s when you pull for them. Under the previous system, you only needed to reach 13 covers in any spread - now 13 often won't be enough. You'd have to keep pulling until the character was covered enough to champ them.
  • marshall
    marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think the feature is valuable and I would much rather see resources allocated to improving the game, giving it longevity. I will echo the feelings overall that a 5:1 ratio does not seem very fair on 5* land. The odds of getting a 5/5/0 5* covered that way are infinitesimal on Classics. I, for one, have a 2/11/3 Thanos. I broke open my hoard and got 3 purple covers for him as BH. RNG can be very streaky and frustrate players. 

More on the hoarding thing, you want to ensure you cover a 5* if you are moving into that territory. It's terrible to end up at 5/2/1 or sth like that because you didn't have enough. With swaps, around 300 was enough to cover all 3 Latest, now it'll be significantly more, since you want to do it before they leave latest, whether you are saving covers or not.

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Brigby said:
    nycjonny said:
    Brigby are the swaps that happen to another LL when and if you have an LL character at 550 also ending? 
    As of right now, we do not plan to continue any cover exchange policies following the 27th.
    So this will never be me, but there are enough 550 players out there now that this doesn’t make sense.  If you have 550/530/520 you will not be able to move those covers from the 550 to your 530?  Then what do you do with them?  Sell them for Iso you don’t need?  Build a dupe for nothing?  What are they to do with them once they are 550 and get a dupe?  
    I'll certainly discuss it with the rest of the team, since I know that scenario is not something the Saved Covers feature was designed to address. It may end up being something we want to temporarily keep available, until we find a more permanent solution to that concern, but regardless, I'll be sure to pass that feedback along. Thanks!
  • Player1575
    Player1575 Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Brigby said:
    658_2 said:
    This makes hoarding more important, again.  Do you guys realize it’s not fun to take no rewards for 3-6 months?  With cover swaps, people were finally able to not hoard and still cover most 5s.

I was able to actually play the game and keep it some what fresh and fun with newer 5's coming in since I hate hording. You bust a bunch of stuff open and don't really get to play and enjoy the characters leveling up...

With the way 5's the swaps and LL worked I could play without hording and grow my roster and still be competitive.. now if I dont horde it feels like a huge waste... and it takes to long to get 5's to waste anymore time.
    Would you mind explaining how it's better to stockpile tokens following this change? It'd be good to get some insight on why some players' behaviors may adjust to follow this strategy moving forward.

Now instead of having a 7/5/1 okoye you can swap 2 covers for and champ you have to get a 15/5/1 okoye to get her champed. That's 8 more covers you need. Pulling 8 okoye covers (or anyone else) takes a LOT more pulls.

I keep track of my pulls and when okoye came into tokens I had exactly 105 pulls and used them all. I got 8 okoye covers (1/4/3), 6 JJ, and 2 Beard Cap in those 105 pulls. If we don't hoard we are more likely to get stuck with an unchamped 5 whom then moves to classic tokens where the odds to get even a single cover for them are lowered drastically. Hence, the need to hoard even more now than before. 
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby said:
    658_2 said:

*long read*

Kind of lol...

Previously I had the option to spend cp and tokens as I got it the way LL worked along with the swapping program. Meaning that I could horde if I wanted or cash in on specific LL characters if I wanted. I could pull and play knowing that even if I pull a 6th or 7th or 8th cover for one of the LL I could swap it 1:1 and continue to play as usual while progressing. Getting 5's covers are pretty tough and random so it was refreshing.

Now it's almost pointless for me to pull as I go from the LL (which cost 5 cp more)  to get a dupe and then sit on it for god knows how long until I either get the covers I need to champ it or 5 unusable covers to cover to one to then have to potentially do 2 more times..... ( I still haven't full covered an OML lol) Previously I didn't have to worry about that problem and could play while using my CP and LL tokens regularly. Now  It would make much more sense for me to horde, bust what I need open when a good character comes along cover those character(s) then horde again until the next time. Otherwise I run the risk of sitting on a ton of duped unchamped 5's, partly level 5's and spending 25 cp instead of 20 cp to do so....

So either I horde to avoid that potentially "waste" of a lot cp and time trying to just play the game daily...or I open as I go for...? I guess thats the biggest thing like why should I not horde? There is really not incentive to use CP or LL tokens now outside of the smaller pool of 5's which....isn't much of an incentive especially not for 5 CP more....

The other option is dropping back to classics and trying to open and cover older characters, with CP but if I'm going to spend cp on classics to avoid the "horde" I'm still hording because using LL tokens before you "statistically" have enough to cover at least one LL character fully is just not optimal, and not only is it not optimal, its to the point where you can be stuck years of not covering a character because you opened LL tokens as you got them... which imo feels like more of a punishment than a reward.

So you'll probably see A TON more people in 5 land hording until something good comes then opening a bunch and then hording again....

sigh and for me personally that is just super boring....but any other way is just not optimal in the slightest nor will it lead to much fun if I can't cover a character I just to months to a year or more down the road.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yikes..... 
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This is definitely not a positive change, despite the new save feature.

i am not a hoarder.  I open primarily latest as I play pve and need new 5* more frequently.  I am usually able to finish the toon while they’re in latest without hoarding.  This has largely been doable thanks to swaps.  For LumberCap I pulled 10 purple covers.  So my save box would’ve been full long before I had the requisite 13.  Now you’ve gone from a service that let me exchange 1:1 where now I need FIVE(!!) to get 1 and even then, may need to potentially do that multiple times if a certain color is particularly elusive.

These did not need to be done concurrently.  Adding save feature didn’t need to replace this feature.
  • Gold_Dragon
    Gold_Dragon Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Brigby, does the HFH 5* rotation change now? Or the cost of the 5*? (250 CP for Classic, 500 CP for Latest)