I'm Back.........and I'm Starting Over

Options

Comments

• nippy
    nippy Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Options
    dude why starting over???  just sell unneeded 5* but i would continue where i left off.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    nippy said:
    dude why starting over???  just sell unneeded 5* but i would continue where i left off.
    I guess you're not familiar with this thread........earlier this year I came back to the game and decided to start over from scratch and see how fast I could get 5* champs.  It's an experiment to see if new players can reach 5* play in less than a year.  I also wanted to give my advice for progressing upwards as fast as possible.  So, I do periodic updates on my progress. 
  • Justonescarf
    Justonescarf Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This thread is interesting. I've played over 3 years and STILL don't have a single 5* fully covered. Closest I have is Okoye with 12. Then IW Cap with 9, and then GG, DS, and JJ with 8. Guess some people have all the luck.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This thread is interesting. I've played over 3 years and STILL don't have a single 5* fully covered. Closest I have is Okoye with 12. Then IW Cap with 9, and then GG, DS, and JJ with 8. Guess some people have all the luck.
    It's not luck.
    It's focusing resources and not pulling blindly.
  • Pantera236
    Pantera236 Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't ever hoard but I am in the same situation with a 4/4/3 Cable a 3/0/1 kitty and a 4/2/6 Loki, so wish I could have better coverage for kitty
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I want to join the cool kids club. 

16 Cable
    15 Loki
    8 Kitty

Cable was finished first. Decided I’ll let a feeder finish Loki. Luckily I pulled 2 Kitty bonus heroes when pulling for Thanos so she’s up to 10 covers now. But just looking at Latests, it was heavily skewed toward the other two like the rest of you. 
  • bbigler
    Options
    I am in the same situation with a 4/4/3 Cable a 3/0/1 kitty and a 4/2/6 Loki, so wish I could have better coverage for kitty

16 Cable
    15 Loki
    8 Kitty

But just looking at Latests, it was heavily skewed toward the other two like the rest of you. 
    Thanks guys, this makes me feel better that I'm not the only one struggling to get Kitty. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I mostly pull out of classics, just using LTs as I get them. My Loki is 1/4/1, Cable is 1/1/0, and Kitty is 0/1/0, so I'm right there with y'all in spirit lol
  • bbigler
    Options
    Day 222 Update: I reached a milestone today of champing 10 x 4*s (yay) but I'm also beyond frustrated with getting Kitty covers. It makes me want to quit the game. To recap, my first hoard of 201 pulls gave me 7 Kittys. The next 64 pulls gave me 0. Then I opened another 52 last night and got 0 again! My 5* pull rate is low (13% vs 15%) and my Kitty pull rate is very low (17% vs 33%) and my yellow kitty cover rate is low too (14% vs 33%). So, out of 316 pulls, I got 1 yellow cover. She is still at 1/3/3.

Now, I've been doing a lot with that 1 yellow cover, but my main motivation to keep playing rested in the hope of fully covering her before she leaves Latest. Now that's unlikely to happen. I could get another 66 pulls in the next 6 weeks, but that's not enough.  My Cable is still 5/5/1 with 5 saved and Kingpin is now 1/2/0. So, where do I go from here?

The good news is that my 4*s are getting covered and champed regularly, but I'm doubtful that any new 4* champs will be better than my existing teams. So, I'm looking at them as farm use only, which is sad. I use Kitty-Grocket everywhere, which is why my main focus is to get more Kitty covers. My overall goal is to enter 5* play in record time to finish my restart experiment and then quit the game (because it's too time consuming).

I could simply hoard until 5* Marvel is announced and then decide to either go after her or try to finish Kitty. But the real problem I have is trying to enter 5* play with ANY 5* champs and assuming it will work. I suppose entering 5* play is not a simple matter of getting 3 x 5* champs, but getting 2 x 5* champs that work well together for PVP. I would appreciate any comments or advice you have on this as my patience is running out.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is where  I would say,  you need to focus on developing your CPe metrics vs trying for a specific 5*.

From my own personal experience,  chasing the white whale (OML) crippled my roster growth for 6 months, while splitting resources between classics and latests ensured that I never had a wide enough base of 5* to actually compete for placements.

The only way I got around that was ignore the 6 5* that were in classics and go exclusively latest.  Once I knew i could always champ the latest 5*,  I would just strategically hoard to finish out the other 5* that I missed.

• crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I would consider entering competitive 5* play being able to hit 900 points consistently in pvp (not 40 wins) with your 5* characters and no shields.  If you cannot do that, then even if you have champed 5*'s you are really just acting as a target for other rosters to hit.  It's unfortunate, especially because rng is what governs so much of that.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bbigler said:
    I am in the same situation with a 4/4/3 Cable a 3/0/1 kitty and a 4/2/6 Loki, so wish I could have better coverage for kitty

16 Cable
    15 Loki
    8 Kitty

But just looking at Latests, it was heavily skewed toward the other two like the rest of you. 
    Thanks guys, this makes me feel better that I'm not the only one struggling to get Kitty. 
    You're not alone.I opened almost 50 tokens yesterday and got 0 Kitty.
    Kitty - 8
    Kinpin - 7
    Cable - 4
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    'It makes me want to quit the game'. That's a neat idea. Then some time later you can come back and start over  :D 
  • bbigler
    Options
    Dogface said:
    'It makes me want to quit the game'. That's a neat idea. Then some time later you can come back and start over  :D 
    After this run in the game (which is my 5th) I'm leaving it forever! And this time, I mean it. 
  • abenness
    abenness Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I just want to add my appreciation for your experiment and updates. I’m on day 237 myself, but this is my first time playing so I wasn’t opening optimally at the start.

However I had hoarded 50 LL and over 2,000 CP before I started opening mid-Cable. I have had mixed luck on distribution with Loki 2/1/5, Kitty 3/2/5, Cable 2/2/1, but I wanted Kitty so am glad the covers came.

I’ve been less lucky with 4* distribution, getting the wrong colours for Ghost and Vulture to champ, but they are closest at 12 & 11 covers and there will be some champ levels once I get them there. Grocket is favourited now, and Medusa will probably be next. I’m using Daken, Beast, Dazzler with Kitty depending on the circumstances.

I’m pulling 21 at a time, with my next pull on Monday which will deplete my hoard, but I’ll then be able to see how many more I earn and pull before Kitty rotates out. I really want purples :)

What I am curious about is how pvp will change if I put more iso into Kitty. I have her at 310 now, but can go to 405. I haven’t been able to find info online about how her powers increase at that level. I expect it would make a big difference for pve, but might put me places I don’t want to be in pvp.

All of this is in the context of someone who has the mpq hooks firmly embedded, I am enjoying the daily progress if not so much the daily grind, and I am excited as my 4* are getting to levels where they are more useful than 3* champs. I will have to see where things fall with Kitty, whether I leave her softcapped or take her to a single 5* champ on my roster. Similarly, I’ll take it easier with tokens once she rotates out.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,293 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @bbigler
    So let's consider the premise of this effort, which is to enter 5* play as quickly as possible.  Which means to do so without regard to which 5's are available at the time you have gathered the resources (pulls) to chase a set of 5's.  Kitty is the closest to a meta defining 5 since Okoye...So you made a go at Kitty, it seems, when she was released (or at least when you felt you had enough pulls) and then I assume hoarded through Wasp and now Loki.  In hindsight, you might have had better luck hoarding more before chasing Kitty; even though it doesn't matter now, you might very well have been more successful with a bigger hoard before starting the chase.

Anyway.  The options you are considering are to keep going after Kitty (and apparently you don't think you'll get enough resources to be successful) at or hoard, wait for 5Marvel to be announced and make a decision then.  Note that is that the next 5 will not be 5Marvel, who presumably will be released alongside her movie, but someone else (who might be reasonably good).  That 5 will push Kitty out.  Splitting hairs, I know....

So, you could keep pulling for Kitty and see where she ends up and hope for a feeder?  But your rapid rise has left you with scant 4 champs and certainly not very high ones, so you'd be playing for a long time, most likely, before getting any feeder to give you the covers you need.  I'm guessing you'd at minimum need a level 320 feeder.

On the other hand:  Getting more Kitty covers will make her more effective, even if unfinished, and help make you more competitive.

If your goal is truly 100% getting champed 5's to use, then you really have no choice but to start hoarding again.   I'm not sure if that ends up being a goal you want to pursue, since hoarding is no fun and you can see there are no guarantees in this game (by design...).  And that you plan to quit when you've proven you can achieve 5* play.  We also really have no idea if the set of 5's after Kingpin would be good enough to be competitive in the 5 tier, although we all hope for some interesting, fun characters to come along soon.

Final thought:  Coming back to my first point, if you had saved all your pulls until now, you might indeed have a champed Kitty and from one point of view, you could argue that you established a timeline to enter the 5 tier, just that you unfortunately didn't wait long enough to pull at once and overcome RNG.
  • bbigler
    Options
    OJSP said:
    bbigler said:
    Day 222 Update: My overall goal is to enter 5* play in record time to finish my restart experiment and then quit the game
    What’s your criteria for that record? Someone championed their first one on day 302 recently https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelPuzzleQuest/comments/abpwb4/champ_at_day_302/

But, I’m quite sure one of the biggest whales did it in less than a week..
    I could have champed Loki a week ago, but that would've been foolish. My definition of entering 5* play is having 3 x 5* champs which can handle PVP. They don't have to be fast, just able to get wins. If a non-whale has accomplished this in less than 300 days, let me know. My Cable is 1 cover away from being my 2nd fully covered 5*.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    How much money have you spent since you started MPQ all over again and what bundles have you bought? Are you able to list down all of them so that other players have a more complete understanding of how you achieved these goals? 
  • bbigler
    Options
    @abenness I leveled my Kitty to 360, which helped greatly in PVE and didn't cause any problems in PVP. 
  • abenness
    abenness Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options
    abenness said:
    I haven’t been able to find info online about how her powers increase at that level.
    Well I went sleuthing through high-level rosters from my current pvp slice, and this is what I did find:

As levels go from 330                     --> 345                   --> 360                     --> 375    --> 390    --> 405
    Health goes           21890                --> 24535               --> 27575                --> ???     --> ???     --> 38998

3 Yellow covers     2 x 146 / +165 --> 2 x 166 / +188 --> 2 x 187 / +212 --> ???     --> ???     --> 2 x 263 / +297
    5 Yellow covers     3 x 161 / +243 --> 3 x 182 / +276 --> 3 x 206 / +312 --> ???     --> ???     --> 3 x 289 / +436

Purple damage      5109                  --> 5780                 --> 6538                  --> ???     --> ???     --> 9178

3 Red                       3 x160               --> 3 x 182             --> 3 x 205              --> ???     --> ???     --> 3 x 288
    5 Red                       3 x 180              --> 3 x 204             --> 3 x 230              --> ???     --> ???     --> 3 x 323

So taking her to 405 (which is very doable for me, just 200k iso) would make her a beast for pve even with my otherwise champ 3* roster.

But, if I was then put against champed (and boosted) 4* teams, or 4* plus single champ 5* in pvp, I would have a harder time keeping the 3's alive and generating special tiles for long enough to kill off the opposition.  I currently skip all the teams with 30k health like RHulk.

Maybe when my Medusa gets some more covers I can see how effective her heal will be in keeping me going, considering that Kitty would perfectly tank her colours...