Soul Stone Season Updates (5/25/18)

1235»

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Our thinking here is that we don't want to pull the rug out from under someone who's been working towards a particular reward by changing who's rewarded before they get there. We've updated the characters that are in champion rewards before, and may do so again, but want to do it rarely for that reason.

The Devs' explanation...

It's going to be a while.

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ezrius said:
    Ezrius said:
    I really wish they'd fix the 3* -> 4* champion rewards.  I get that there are too many 4* characters now for all of them to have a feeder, but do we really need two feeders for Jean Grey, Starlord, X-23, X-Force Wolverine, and Elektra?  When 26 4* characters have no feeder?

I said this in the Champion Rewards thread, but at the very least, Gamora should feed Gamora, and the two older X-Men that are currently part of a dual-fed 4* (Beast and Colossus) should probably feed 4* X-Men without feeders (Nightcrawler and Jubilee).  Ragnorok might make sense for Valkyrie, and I'm sure something could be worked out for a lonely 4* between Daredevil and Elektra.  I don't really think these are enormous adjustments in the grand scheme of things, certainly not compared to a Supports system that... I'm still not sure myself or half the community is even sure they care about (outside of fear of it ever having PVP implications).

I would assume they haven't made any of these changes as they don't want to retroactively give out rewards to people that already hit that reward  milestone or upset people seeking those current rewards.
    I mean, it's not like it stopped them before, and they didn't give out retroactive rewards in those cases IIRC?  They did it in October 2016 and in April 2017 for 3*s and changed 2* Hawkeye in August..  They've even changed both 3* Captain Marvel and Iron Fist both times.

Yeah but i think it angered the playerbase to the point where they haven't done it since. 
  • Ezrius
    Ezrius Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    When/where was that quoted from?

When they made the change last April, there were only 6 more 4* characters than 3*s (and Brigby noted in the thread I linked that it would soon be 5 when 3* Star-Lord would be released).  It's 20 now, hence, it's been a while.

I'm only pointing out options with two feeders here.  I get not wanting to change someone for thematic reasons when there isn't another way to farm the character (like if Black Panther was changed to feed 4* Black Panther with no one left to feed Mr Fantastic), but having two characters feed 4* characters, a majority of which aren't considered "meta," doesn't really seem to make much sense anymore with the widening gap.

There are strong characters in the 4* PVP meta (Gamora and Rocket & Groot, particularly), that have no feeders, while several dual-fed 4*s are not exactly considered priorities (Elektra, Wolverine, X-23).  Jean Grey and Star-Lord are still pretty decent, but not exactly thriving against some of the newer powerhouses like the Gamora/R&G/Medusa nightmare.

Maybe I'm just frustrated because I've been one of those people that had the rug pulled out from under me before (I was counting on Iron Fist to feed IMHB once upon a time), gotten over it, and now I just want a clear path to feed and grow my 4* champion roster over having two converging paths to a garbage character I'll probably never use un-boosted (looking at you, Elektra).
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Our thinking here is that we don't want to pull the rug out from under someone who's been working towards a particular reward by changing who's rewarded before they get there. We've updated the characters that are in champion rewards before, and may do so again, but want to do it rarely for that reason.

The Devs' explanation...

It's going to be a while.

10 months and counting. Here is the timeline. 

Januray 2016-Champing goes live. 
    October 2016-updating to Champing 
    April 2017-updating to Champing 
    August 2017-updating to Champing 

So this is now the longest time we have had since this went live without an update.  Like I said in another thread, this is just non supported. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    The quote was made in this year's March Q&A with Will.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/784921/#Comment_784921

The likely possible scenario is the number of players upset by the change is greater than the number of players benefited by the change. If this scenario is true, then it's a democratic decision. :D
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    @Avalancher or @HoundofShadow , the difference is that we have 4 dupe 3* feeders that can be changed with no issues.  That is a very simple process to do since they did fix all of the other dupes. That’s not too much to ask for is it? 
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 728 Critical Contributor
    Bowgentle said:
    Yeah, perish the thought that you announce stuff like supports way in advance.
    You might have enough time to incorporate feedback into the planned rollout.
    That of course is just a terrible idea compared to the AWESOME reception supports got when you rolled them out on short notice with zero follow-up communication.

To their credit, they were available after the initial supports announcement, more so than in recent memory.  There were a number of questions answered promptly in the initial thread that was a welcome change.

Following that initial flurry though it has been eerily quiet...

• LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Call it a reason or an excuse, but I love that every conceivable we’ll say reason is given as to why things can’t be communicated in a timely manner.  The new reason du jour is that they’re working on new features.

As community manager, what projects does @brigby work on that precludes him from communicating?  He’s not working on the actual game in terms of coding or content creation.  What exactly does a community manager do if not keep the lines of communication open?
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for the confirmation, @Brigby!
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Brigby before supports came out you advised you were going to voice our concern over the fact that there have been no 5* balance changes in the game since last year, and we expressly asked for balance changes to 5* gambit.  When you let the devs know did you get a reply from the devs about that?  We are now looking at 4 seasons I believe since you voiced our concern and there have been no changes.  Having one character dominate he meta is not good for the overall health of the game and Gambit has been dominating for 9 months now.
  • Gold_Dragon
    Gold_Dragon Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    Gambit is fine. 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    wymtime said:
    Brigby before supports came out you advised you were going to voice our concern over the fact that there have been no 5* balance changes in the game since last year, and we expressly asked for balance changes to 5* gambit.  When you let the devs know did you get a reply from the devs about that?  We are now looking at 4 seasons I believe since you voiced our concern and there have been no changes.  Having one character dominate he meta is not good for the overall health of the game and Gambit has been dominating for 9 months now.
    Yes, I did pass along the feedback players have provided, and informed them of the continued concerns surrounding Gambit (Classic). While I don't have any updates to communicate at this moment, taking time to evaluate the character again is certainly on the list of priorities for the team.
  • Player1575
    Player1575 Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Can we expect to not see one of these topics at the end of June since you guys got rid of the latest/vintage designations on 4*s?

I mean, it's not like there's been anything else in these updates since before 2018 started...
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Can we expect to not see one of these topics at the end of June since you guys got rid of the latest/vintage designations on 4*s?

I mean, it's not like there's been anything else in these updates since before 2018 started...
    Well they'll still have to announce "Iron Spider" has entered the draw pool,  so there's  that
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,735 Chairperson of the Boards
    And Wiccan!