Is there a definitive etiquette for PvP?

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's a thin metaphor for sure, and probably not worth getting into the minutiae of how F1 works to make it fit a little better lol.  

I guess what you want is a level playing field where your efforts will pay off, and as you say, this is more like life which has provided the illusion of a level playing field, and no amount of personal effort is enough to overcome the Deep State lol.
  • madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    Play however you like. That's my philosophy.

If someone feels they DESERVE placement, just because they spent HP on multiple shields should understand it's only a game. Have fun!
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    People who collude on Line for optimal climbing / shielding to hit certain progression rewards and then top placement clearly have a set of strategies and etiquette in place to help themselves first and then others similarly participating in their system. If you don't participate in this system and aren't part of the Line community, there's absolutely no reason to pay it any mind as it is of no benefit to you — in fact, it specifically ensures you will never be able to compete for worthwhile placement rewards. My goal is to just hit 575/650, with the rare and horribly tedious push to 900 if there's a very specific 4* cover I want/need. I pick targets based on the points they award me and based on how difficult the opponents will be and how many health packs they will cost me. I never pay attention to the name attached to the enemy team, and I never seek out retaliations or even note if it's a retaliation or not.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    ThaRoadWarrior said:
     it sounds like the versus points economy is a feudal one, with various barons controlling access to farmable land, and telling all the serfs they are doing them a favor by giving them a little patch of dirt where they can grow just enough to stay fed lol. 
    Now I have the picture of 300 In my head. Messenger getting kicked into the pit hearing the scream “This is SPARTA!”
  • Asmodaeus
    Asmodaeus Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    Ugh...the idea that there is some sort of "etiquette" to playing has always been a mystery to me. I find the pvp climb above 800pts is a scramble to skip through possible matches quickly to find the softest target with the most points before I get slapped back to the 600's. If your team comes up multiple times, I'm gonna hit it. Put out a grill team, im gonna hit that too. You say it's "climb time" and I should lay off attacking you...I say I don't even know who you are (I don't read the names of who's who) or what time it is in your part of the world.
    Just play the game however you make it work for you.
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    The “etiquette” is more for people that use Line and it only applies if you’re in the same room. It’s funny how the ones here that don’t use Line think this concerns you. People in the rooms know pretty much who they’re going to hit and not hit already. All the shards have the “good guys vs bad guys”. 
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    scottee said:
    I never use Line. I know I benefit from those who climb high, as it puts more points in the slice. You can't find 75 point fights if someone hasn't rushed out to that big of a lead ahead of you and been unshielded so you can queue them. So I'm always thankful for the climbers.

That said, I don't hit big targets right away, partially our of etiquette, but mostly out of wanting to climb as quickly as possible. If I hit someone right away, or more than once in a short period, of course I'd expect them to be upset. And if they're climbing, their alliance probably is too, and I don't want them slamming me for multiple losses. So I wait on queues at least one match simply out of self-preservation.

If there's no other choice, I'll eventually take the points. But hitting people too quickly makes it harder to climb in actuality, so I don't do it.

I don't coordinate in chats. This is just what I've figured out of the system over the years.
    According to the post above you the etiquette of line players shouldn't affect you. It only affects people in a particular line room.

Which in reality means if you are not using line and unintentionally do what they deem bad you get extra focused and pushed down harder. If you continually do this they will get get larger than 20 people alliances with truces to push you down, and tell you you have no etiquette, and it would be better for everyone if you just do it their way.

Bottom line for me will always be as long as the game allows it and there no rules from the devs against certain behavior in game, if it gets you to your goal do it. Ignore other people that try to force their vision of the game on you. 

Just play the game the way that gets you to your goal, if that's on line good for you, if it's not on line good for you too. It just gets silly when one side goes out of their way to hunt down specific people to make some kind of point.
  • BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 249 Tile Toppler
    I hate it when there are only about five people circling around and around.  I don't feel SOOOO bad about double-tapping, although, I would rather not. 
    Triple tapping and even quadruple tapping sometimes happens and I hate having to do it, but if I have the choice over five 20-36 point teams who will rip me to shreds or a 75 point team who I can rip to shreds and feel nothing from, which one would you choose? 
    I don't normally hit anyone under 40 points  and play at times when people (well, at least people in North America) are normally working, so are probably shielded anyway.
  • FokaiHI
    If you keep circling the same people, they’re floating. It’s the people that are worth 75 that are using a loaner to be wary of. These people will mention to whatever room they’re in that they got hit. Then the people climbing may look for you to hit back. 

I personally dont care. I already know pretty much who I’m hitting and skipping. Most people in the rooms do as well. 
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    I'm with those that want PvP to be anonymous.

Leaderboards would still be there for people to compare, but group efforts would at least be hindered (though I imagine not that much).
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    FokaiHI said:
    The “etiquette” is more for people that use Line and it only applies if you’re in the same room. It’s funny how the ones here that don’t use Line think this concerns you. People in the rooms know pretty much who they’re going to hit and not hit already. All the shards have the “good guys vs bad guys”. 
    While logically you’re correct, every so often people get berated on here for not following etiquette or hitting a griller or cupcake too soon. If line users weren’t bringing it up on here people wouldn’t even know.

Getting yelled at for breaking a rule you didn’t know existed drives normal people to ask questions.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    i get hit all the time.
    if you're worth more than 40 points and I can beat your team, I ging to hit you.
    if your team shows up again and you are still at 40 points, i do it again. and again.
    if you don't want to get hit, shield. 
  • j0nats
    j0nats Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Some people seem to forget that Marvel Puzzle Quest is a game.

Games are meant to be fun.

If you find yourself co-coordinating with dozens of other players via a third party application, and going out of your way to send messages to people who have attacked you IN THE GAME (not in real life, so no physical injury to you) then my own personal opinion is that you're taking things far too seriously. Relax a bit. Did you miss a cover in that event? Don't worry about it. You'll get another chance in the future.

I'm about to champ my 50th 4* character, and I don't have Line, nor do I ever plan to install it.

Don't get so stressed if you don't finish in the top 10/25/whatever, and start enjoying the game again :smile:
    except for some people like me... the Line/forum/out-of-game communication is actually quite fun 😀  this is what makes the game so addicting coz really theres no one way to play it.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2018
    Or you could just tell them it's not their business to tell you how to play the game, that's really all there is to it.

Really time for hidden names, Line clubs making things silly now.

**Removed inappropriate content - Ducky
  • BlackWidower
    FokaiHI said:
    If you keep circling the same people, they’re floating. It’s the people that are worth 75 that are using a loaner to be wary of. These people will mention to whatever room they’re in that they got hit. Then the people climbing may look for you to hit back. 

I personally dont care. I already know pretty much who I’m hitting and skipping. Most people in the rooms do as well. 
    I am not sure of what the term floating refers to in this context (does this mean, hanging around unshielded, or ARE shielded?). Sorry. if that is a dumb question.

I don't use line, but I have noticed when I am almost at my final climb (I like to make it to 900) sometimes you only have these sort of fluffy targets to choose from (I believe they are called cupcakes). l don't know what they are doing, but it almost seems like these people are bait, and they are EASY and are worth something like 26 points and you go for it because you only needs something like 35 points or something like that, but the second hit (and even if it's another 26 point cupcake, you then get hit by 150 points. 

Whatevevs.  I play for progression and like to break the minimum required by my alliance.
    I don't care that much about personal placement (alliance yes) because  I don't feel like live chatting with more people (I do that all day for work) to move ahead.
    The way I do things now seems to work... for now anyway.
  • BlackWidower
    OJSP said:
    I am not sure of what the term floating refers to in this context (does this mean, hanging around unshielded, or ARE shielded?). 
    Unshielded.
    I don't use line, but I have noticed when I am almost at my final climb (I like to make it to 900) sometimes you only have these sort of fluffy targets to choose from (I believe they are called cupcakes). l don't know what they are doing, but it almost seems like these people are bait, and they are EASY and are worth something like 26 points and you go for it because you only needs something like 35 points or something like that, but the second hit (and even if it's another 26 point cupcake, you then get hit by 150 points.  
    If you see those teams, that means you have broken MMR and you are seeing weaker rosters again. It’s possible that it’s a trap team, so they could get your retal node that is worth more points. But, that’s why it’s a good idea to check their roster and their alliance. If they are not from a competitive alliance, it’s most likely safe to hit them without fearing retaliations. Keep in mind, once we break MMR, not only we can see weaker rosters, we are also visible to stronger rosters. That’s why it’s important to play fast when we get to that point.
    You are so smart.  :) I have looked at rosters before and determined... "oh dear, this is the best they have", but have never checked the alliance. 
    Thanks for the tip!

• FokaiHI
    @BlackWidower

if you wish to find a room, create a Line account and pm me.