Is there a definitive etiquette for PvP?

Options

Comments

• heybub
    heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    You realize that if the devs had kept the fix where players didn't lose points for getting hit, this wouldn't be a topic. 
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2018
    Options
    When people whine about being hit multiple times, I think they're often forgetting that at certain times, you can only see around 5 or 6 people at all. I have genuinely spent hundreds of iso skipping in the past, to skip the same 5 or so names repeatedly. At some point, if you're the easiest option of those 5 people, and are giving good points, I will keep hitting you until you no longer give me good points. That's just common sense. And when I get hit multiple times by the same person, I assume that I'm also the easiest target for them at that moment. It's no drama.

PvE already requires enough hassle with scheduled play times. I'm not also going to schedule my PvP playing time so that I see different names every X number of hours throughout the course of 2 days. 

EDIT: Having said that, if you're someone I recognise or talk to on LINE, I will check if you're shielded first. Y'know. There is room to balance being considerate with playing how you want.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,544 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There is an etiquette, but most people choose to not care. I will always avoid hitting the same person over and over up until the matchmaker doesn't give me anyone else for that number of points. Then, all bets are off. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So those of you using etiquette and protocol to coordinate your way to progression: how do you all decide who gets to walk home with first place in a given event? 
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So those of you using etiquette and protocol to coordinate your way to progression: how do you all decide who gets to walk home with first place in a given event? 

you have to outhop and or log more matches than the other people in your battle chat.  putting aside the issue of multi hour CC trains.  T1 players generally hop more often and log more matches than anyone else in their brackets.

I'm sure we can all point to examples of 550s bullrushing their way to T1,  but even in those scenarios, a 550 roster is probably not the favorite to win T1 against coordinated 500 rosters.

Battle chat coordination is more about avoiding Red nodes and maximizing point values per hop.  But its still on you, the player to decide how many and how often to hop to take t1.

most coordinated players can easily hit 1200 on 1 or 2 shields.  But T1 almost always requires  5+ hops.  Its a pretty rare roster indeed that can outright win an early bracket on just 1 or 2 shields.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    tiomono said:
    This topic just makes me wish they would remove players names from the nodes so we do not know who we are hitting. 

It could block you from having members of your own 20 person alliance show up at all for you. That way all you look at is if the team you are about to face is worth the points it gives.

I feel it would slow down large alliance truces and even out the PvP playing field dramatically. But that' just my opinion.
    I forget what article I read, but I heard that removing names in PVP events actually ended up lowering competitive drive amongst players. Names were apparently a big factor in the mindset of "I'm fighting against another actual player! I have to try and beat them," and removing that element caused players to treat it as just fighting against AI.

Now whether that's true or not, and/or would be the case in MPQ, is a whole other story. I just found it an interesting perspective to think about.
    I haven't thought about it that way. I just feel it's very frustrating to be targeted for playing the game in a way you are allowed to because it was poorly timed for someone else and they decide to turn a group of people loose to hunt you down and teach you a lesson since you clearly do not understand how important their points are.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby said:
    tiomono said:
    This topic just makes me wish they would remove players names from the nodes so we do not know who we are hitting. 

It could block you from having members of your own 20 person alliance show up at all for you. That way all you look at is if the team you are about to face is worth the points it gives.

I feel it would slow down large alliance truces and even out the PvP playing field dramatically. But that' just my opinion.
    I forget what article I read, but I heard that removing names in PVP events actually ended up lowering competitive drive amongst players. Names were apparently a big factor in the mindset of "I'm fighting against another actual player! I have to try and beat them," and removing that element caused players to treat it as just fighting against AI.

Now whether that's true or not, and/or would be the case in MPQ, is a whole other story. I just found it an interesting perspective to think about.
    i understand the sentiment, but without the data or analytics to back it up, it's all conjecture from both sides.  Maybe a test season like wins based?  this time tell everyone ahead of time that it will just be one season?  

Why not settle in the middle, and make an adjustment to PVP, doesn't even need an announcement, just make it so that you cannot queue the same target within a certain time frame after hitting them.  maybe 5 or 10 minutes?  if someone is floating, you would still find them out there while you climb.  but snipers and people playing...less than sportsman-like, would have to find someone else to hit.  
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phumade said:

In anycase, the real question is whether the senders opinion of your play matters more to you than your ease of placement etc..

That's probably the best answer to your question. I consider those kind of pms a badge of honor and then target those people. Message me about how annoying I am, now I know and it's now more fun. Screen shot those, they're notches.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Options
    How about revamping the mmr and making the 3/5 nodes an actually climbing of the ladder? Take out the skip feature and have the 3/5 nodes become the 3/5 people directly above you. For top 3/5 players, let them battle each other. Would definitely shake things up.
  • madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ignore the PM's you get. Play however you like. It's much more fun that way. If your playstyle is negatively affecting your scores and sapping the fun, then rethink the strategy and adapt. The only important thing is YOU should be having fun, and not that you should be complying with how others want you to play.
  • NMANOZ
    NMANOZ Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
    Options
    You hit me, I hit you.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,707 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Brigby said:
    tiomono said:

I’d love to see the names removed. I hate the hand holding pvp. There’s still a leaderboard to compete with but for me it’s the equivalent of achievement rooms on the Xbox where people gang together to hide in the corner of a map and take turns shooting each other to get 1000 kills. 

Yeah yeah I know the mantra about it being a fun element of co operative gaming in the community but that’s just a poor excuse for glitching the system in a pvp environment. Hence kill on sight lists and the *complaining* about getting hit on a hop like it’s the crime of the century.

Remove the names you can still tell your alliance when you are going out and what team you are using. As for etiquette I climb late and hit whatever gets me to 1000 the fastest and easiest. I don’t tend to hit anyone from my alliance because they all run gambit and I never hit a gambit when there’s far easier teams out there.

Cupcakes were removed we were told because the scoring was out of hand, so they created another system that mainly benefitted the top end and stopped the 4 star teams upsetting the top end too much and riding off cakes. Now the scores are still way out of hand for the rewards on offer and I think it’s long overdue an overhaul.

**Removed inappropriate content - Ducky

• mexus
    mexus Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Options
    GiantDuck said:
    It's a game mode in which you are supposed to attack other players. Sending angry PMs because someone is playing the game as intended is kinda pathetic.
    Flashback to that time when a non-allied player contacted my alliance commander because I hit him twice in an hour.
  • Tiggida
    Tiggida Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Options
    I would’ve replied by hitting them again and pm’ing  them the screenshots.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby said:
    tiomono said:

I understand what your trying to convey, but we all know that when we fight someone in PVP it is the AI playing with a real players roster. We already know it is not Live PVP. The names don't make a difference. Most of us only look at the rosters and points for that team in order to chose to attack or not. Most of us don't look at names. When your climbing you don't have time to be looking or keeping track of who you already hit, since every second counts. You can be attacked multiple times just for wasting time checking names and that match you delicately chose would be worth nothing since the attacks usually take away more points than you earn.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Shintok17 said:
    Brigby said:
    tiomono said:

I understand what your trying to convey, but we all know that when we fight someone in PVP it is the AI playing with a real players roster. We already know it is not Live PVP. The names don't make a difference. Most of us only look at the rosters and points for that team in order to chose to attack or not. Most of us don't look at names. When your climbing you don't have time to be looking or keeping track of who you already hit, since every second counts. You can be attacked multiple times just for wasting time checking names and that match you delicately chose would be worth nothing since the attacks usually take away more points than you earn.
    That brings me back to my M:tG analogy: If I give my deck to my 11yr old nephew, are you playing me (because it is my deck and I set it up, decided on the synergy, etc...) or him (because he's the one making the decisions)?

PvP
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Names matter. Please leave them.