MCU: Avengers | Infinity War ***SPOILERS***

Options
purplemur
purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
***WARNING***WARNING***WARNING***WARNING***WARNING***WARNING
You are about to enter a spoiler thread. 

This is a thread for the discussion of the Marvel Stud10s movie Avengers: Infinity War.
It is a good movie and I highly encourage you to see it before reading any further. It is worth the experience of watching it unfold. Do not cheat yourself and read further if you have not seen the movie. 

Don't do it! It's worth waiting!!!

Holy Tinykitty!

-Thanos vs Hulk! "worldstar!!! Like a Deebo chain snatch: You got knocked the tinykitty out! 

-Red Skull: I tied balloons to my hopes and they are officially Up; 5* skull confirmed!

-No Hawkeye?? I know about Ant-Man and the Wasp but is there a Hawkguy movie in the works? Who would you want to play Kate Bishop!?! Who for his brother? Hugh Jackman would be perfect but I'd much rather have MCU Logan- ya know someday...#crossover #dreams

-How mad are you at Peter Quill right now? Like really dude? you punched the invincible guy in the face before they take off the invincible gauntlet. It's pretty true to his dip-kitty character and reactive personality type but come on!

-Rocket and Groot continue to steal the show. Acorns!

-I don't know what kind of CGI that scene where Thor unleashes Stormbreaker was but I actually cheered with the rest of the entire theater. 

- There was a woman near me who cried when Peter Parker (ohhh we're using our made up names, then I am Spider-Man) didn't want to go. I think for me that was the most emotional scene of the ten years. I think that the death of spiderman (Ultimate) and the aftermath is Comics at it's best : Where Flash sits in the empty classroom stunned that he was the only one who really didn't know. So I have a great up-swelling of appreciation for that heartbreaking moment in the film. 

What did YOU think? What were your favorite moments? What did you NOT like? 
and

WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT?????

Comments

• madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Tune in.

Next time.

ON DRAGON BALL Z!!

Oh wait.. wrong forum.
  • Screen Monkey
    Screen Monkey Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Dr Strange knows what he is doing, 1 way to win, he saw it all..
    I actually clapped when Red Skull appeared.
    Trailer lied to us about which gems thanos had when he fought cap.

Going forward: Gamora is going to be the main thing that brings Thanos down, as he regrets that act, worried that the rest of the movie after that point will turn out to have been a soul-stone alt reality or dream and Gamora will "step out of the shower".
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dr Strange knows what he is doing, 1 way to win, he saw it all..
    I actually clapped when Red Skull appeared.
    Trailer lied to us about which gems thanos had when he fought cap.
    Just like it lied about where Hela was when she destroyed Mjolnir, yeah. They're tricksy.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kind of rambly and in no particular order whatsoever. I'm short on sleep, and sort of out of it. Anyhow.

I guess I'm kind of the odd one out this time around. There were a lot of great bits that I really loved, but the arcs that were carrying the emotional weight of the film were built off of stuff that I didn't like in the earlier films, like Vision/SWitch. Meanwhile, Bucky, my single favourite MCU character, basically gets fridged after one hug and one bit of goofy over the top action with Rocket.

The Thanos/Hulk fight at the start was completely awesome. I did martial arts for years when I was younger, and I love when the fight choreographers and stunt folks really get to do it right, rather than having to use bad technique to draw out the fights and heighten the drama.

Definitely agree with the OP about being mad at Quill. Even more so since the StarLord/Gamora arc is another that I've never really been able to care about.

Spidey dying was the one moment that really got me right in the feels. That's just not supposed to happen. Even more so since the Iron Spider suit was so cool.

Speaking of Spidey, I think they actually should have taken a bit of dialogue from MPQ. Have him ask Tony who the wizard is, and do the "Says his name is Strange." "Yeah, I bet it is." exchange from Strange Sights.

I liked Fury's interrupted swear at the very, very end.

The battle in Wakanda was cool, even if it felt really anachronistic from a tactical point of view. Wakanda has fighter jets, but they still fight in ranked formations no one else has used for over a hundred years?

Shuri just being an order of magnitude past Banner when discussing Vision was really fun, too. Hopefully we'll get to see her and Stark at some point.

Also, Thanos doesn't understand how population growth works. Assuming an average population growth rate of 1% across the universe, he's going to have to do this again every 70 years or so.

The Black Order were cool. Didn't get enough time with them before they got taken out. They join the Howling Commandos and Scott's crew on the list of groups that I wish had gotten a full movie. It was also awesome to get to see SWitch really cut loose against them and the big saw-disk tank things. Oh, and seeing Strange use the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, while I'm on the topic of magic.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,175 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I liked how they humanised Thanos, especially his scenes with Gamora. Also, where'd he get that awesome cottage? I'd love to live there.

I can't wait to see the Iron Spider suit in-game. Now I'm hoping he's really a 5*.

Was kinda hoping for a Hawkeye/Ronin reveal.

Still kinda affected by the film, although I suspect the deaths aren't permanent. I played some PvP the night after watching the movie, and I was shuddering when my Thano5 was Courting Death on everyone.

And the devs should change Captain Marvel's DDQ opponent to Thano5.
  • Screen Monkey
    Screen Monkey Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    If the director wanted you to think they were all perma-dead he wouldn't have chosen characters with upcoming releases to kill off.

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I watched it on Wednesday (it came out a little earlier in Australia).  Here are a few thoughts I had afterwards:

The Agents of SHIELD show has previously tried to adapt to status quo changes from the films.  Will they kill off half the characters for a year until Avengers 4?

Presumably someone will warp reality again in Avengers 4 to bring everyone back to life.  I wonder if they'll take the opportunity to say that things aren't quite the same as they were before?  For example, this could be a good place to introduce the X-Men or Fantastic Four.  You'd avoid needing to set their origin stories after the current films or explain why no one had heard of them: the heroes involved in the Infinity War could come back to earth and find they're the only people who don't remember these extra heroes.

I guess the Titan that Thanos comes from is no longer the moon of Saturn.  That's probably a good change, since Saturn is a lot "closer" with respect to what we can observe compared to when the character was created.

Will they leave all the Asgardians dead when they reverse Thanos's use of the Infinity Gauntlet?  It'd be kind of interesting if they did the "Asgard over Broxton, Oklahoma" thing for Thor 4, where Thor brings all the gods back to life.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Options
    How do we get from the postcredit end scene of Ragnarok with Thor/Loki convo to the beginning of Infinity War? Where are Korg, Miek, and Valkyrie? Maybe I just missed something 
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Can't get emotionally invested in meaningless deaths,  anyone who's read the source material knows everything Thanos has done will be erased once they take the gauntlet from him
  • Bigtone
    Bigtone Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Thor arriving in Wakanda with Groot and Rocket....Rocket hopping off his shoulder and cocking his gun......I had an instant nerdgasm
  • 0_Fahrenheit
    0_Fahrenheit Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I really liked this movie! I saw it two days ago and I’m still thinking about all the epic fights. It was such a long time since it happened something like these to me.

My opinion about the finale: I said aloud some sad “Oh not him!”, especially for Spider-Man and Groot, not because we won’t see them ever again -The time stone solution is quite obvious to me, as for everyone-.
    But because they won’t be part of the team that will work for the defeat of Thanos. Probably, We will see them at the end as part of those celebrating the victory but not being there to fight for it.
    I would like to see more of them in  second part of the movie, not just cameos.

Some choices was quite obvious -scarlet: she lost vision, her love and she joined him-, and others right -star-lord: his only fault is to be used by the writers to give us a sequel, but, despite his motivations, he did the mess and he paid for his mistake-.

Anyway, After the snap and the scene with baby Gamora, I liked how, for few seconds, I had the feeling of relief because it seemed that nothing happened and then we had the disappearing of the heroes. I still remember and like the doubt that I had every time they stop the camera on someone: “Will he/she live or die?”
    I was totally into that moments! The Russos did a great job!
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like the part where Thanos just squeeze the life out of Loki. Blue and dead. 

The ending where Thanos was sitting alone on a mountain, looking sad, satisfied or relieved? I can't tell from his expression. 

Why didn't Dr Strange use his Time Stone to reverse time? There was plenty of time after he was rescued by Spidey and Iron Man. 

Hawkeye was not in the movie. Then, we have the signal to Captain Marvel sent by Nick Fury. It's going to be another year before Avengers 4 would be out. In the meantime, we would have some other Marvel characters' movies coming up. I'm sure their end credits have some tie-in with Avengers 3 or Avengers 4 movies. 
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Borstock said:
    That said, the ending was a fat egg. You can't possibly expect me to feel anything when all those people die. We know for a fact it will all be undone in the next film. The deaths early had impact because you have no real expectation they are coming back. So, you feel them. But we know the end is B.S. because so many of those people have sequels to make. It falls so flat, that it felt like a chore to watch these characters react to something we all know won't matter. 

I can't emphasize enough that I'm mostly in awe of how expertly the Russos pulled this off. This is a phenomenal movie, just one with a fatally flawed finale. This is Donner's Superman, with the flying around the world backwards part being saved for the next film. 
    This. I like the analogy to Donner's Superman; the 'spin the world around' was supposed to be the ending to Superman II, after Zod and his crew had caused massive destruction, but it got grafted onto the end of the first film instead, and it wasn't as well 'earned' there. 

Cheap, meaningless deaths that you know will get undone are one of my most reviled storytelling tropes (and a big reason I haven't been able to read superhero comics in a very long time). I feel it will ultimately undermine this entire film as time passes. It will have been a lot of sound & fury, signifying nothing, because it will just all get undone. Even if there are new sacrifices in A4 (i.e. Cap, Tony, Banner) to 'reverse' this outcome. It will be those losses that carry the final weight, not these ones.

I will give serious props to the Russos for having the guts to write Thanos as the protagonist, and let the Avengers fill the role of antagonists, complete with 'dumb villain screws it up' moments (i.e. Quill, Thor) when victory was almost in their grasp. It's quite possibly the only way this story could be made to work. 

So.. mixed feelings overall, I guess. Which may qualify as a letdown after all the buildup.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Was definitely face palming at Starlord losing the war for the universe. Seriously, Spidey was that close to having the glove off!

I think different people's reactions to the ending was definitely interesting. Myself, I knew that comics could undo deaths, and the time stone makes that easy, but during the movie itself, you expect them to somehow undo it then and there. Then it just ended. So even though I know it'll eventually be fine in a later movie, it still carried the weight of a loss for the good guys, which most films aren't willing to do. 

For those like my wife who aren't into the comics, but have been somewhat following along with the MCU (without knowing what movies are scheduled), it makes sense to have a feeling of devastation or "oh no!" at some of the deaths of favorite characters at the end. Maybe they're assuming Marvel's culling off characters to reduce the cast size.

Also, I don't envy kids watching this movie. There were all of hard images for them. Not necessarily blood/guts, but graphic deaths and torture. Plus that ending could have kids crying over Spiderman or Groot or Black Panther, whoever the favorites might be. I can imagine some weird conversations for parents, especially those who aren't used to the "no one's really dead in the comics".

But overall, awesome movie. No one in the theater knew the ending, which make it tense to watch with others, in a great way.

I wonder if the studio secretly promoted the "who dies?" speculation, because it seemed like the movie definitely interacted with that expectation. The deaths in the main plot they definitely make into big scenes.
  • LeaveMyCookies
    LeaveMyCookies Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options
    Just came back home from the movie, holy it was amazing, I really hope it breaks some box office records because honestly I think it's hands down the biggest cinematic event of the decade. My thoughts and tid bits on some of it's moments:

- I really loved the CQC scenes on Earth from Black Widow/Captain and Black Order. It felt really smooth. I'm happy that Widow got some shine there because she has experience in such battles and did better than, say, Scarlett Witch who is generally speaking a much stronger character. 

- Iron Man armor is sooo amazing. I love him from the very first movie, but now the suit is on a completely different scale. Put him in any movie prior to IW and he would be OP, nothing like we've seen before. MK 42 looks like a piece of junk before this. 

- Honestly I thought that Groot would heal Thor but instead he made the Stormbreaker handle which then somehow healed Thor from 3rd degree burns? Wasn't too sure how that works but okay.

- I also liked the moment at Vormire, where Red Skull said that he isn't crying for himself and the realization setting in on Gamora's face.. I thought that the scene was really powerful and humane. I told my GF that it's a Mass Effect 3 level of choice (I'm talking about the ending - sacrifice those you love, sacrifice yourself or just fail and get wiped out). 

- I know it was already mentioned a lot of times, but GOD DAMN IT STAR LORD. Usually I'm a feeler, but I just couldn't understand his reasoning. I mean she's dead, it's over, punching Thanos in the face won't bring her back. What a jerk

- Tom Holland, what an amazing performance. Not only he is the best incarnation of the Spider Man, but he's the most real superhero we've ever had and it was so painful and sad seeing him go, honestly I cried. Somehow managed to stay more or less cool throughout the majority of the movie but that scene, jesus. I thought I bought a ticket to the Avengers Infinity War not the Feels train. 

- I don't think it's a mistake to asume that this is the exact scenario in which Strange saw the heroes win. This had to happen. Not sure how important Captain Marvel is in the grand scheme of things tho, is it possible that Thanos himself will revert what he has done? I don't know. To me he appeared to be more humane than I imagined, so maybe that's possible. Or not. I guess we'll have to wait and see. 

Overall I think this was an amazing experience, definitely recommending to see it in a theater, CGI is on point as always, the effects are stunning. 10/10 would watch again, probably will in a few days. 

• scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Also, my guess for the next year is:

The Antman movie doesn't interact with IW events much, maybe taking place beforehand?

Captain Marvel movie is in the past, but sets up whatever organization and knowledge is necessary to deal with a cosmic event. (But why wasn't she around earth for IW? On assignment somewhere else in space?)

Avengers 4 brings Captain Marvel in to work with Stark and Banner on some part that's necessary to attack/distract Thanos, and Nebula somehow gets the gauntlet off him.

Also, Hulk finally comes out to help beat Thanos.
  • LeaveMyCookies
    LeaveMyCookies Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options
    scottee said:
    Also, my guess for the next year is:

The Antman movie doesn't interact with IW events much, maybe taking place beforehand?

I had an idea on this, what if characters disappear at the end of the Antman-Wasp movie? I mean they get the job done and then people start being erased, coinciding with the end of IW. I think that would be neat
  • kk3thess
    kk3thess Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I watched on the midnight premiere here in Brazil. The audience gasped only once and that was when Tony faced Thanos and almost died. It's probably just me, but I think that the entire movie should've engage the crowd like that, not just a scene.

Speaking for myself, I liked that the action was not just physical. I mean, these guys can mess with realities and were fighting just with punches and kicks? Come on! Loved that the movie cared about the characters and it wasn't just mindless action. The introduction of the Guardians is a very good example of this.

But the thing I loved the most was that the original avengers survived the Leftovers crossover. It was almost as if the movie was saying: they started it all and now they will finish it. Can't wait for the next.