R148 Release Notes (3/12/18)

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    dijidiji said:
    Just dropping a note to say that this new Steam UI is 100% grade-A hot trash.  Everything is wrong with this change, and all of the failings are immediately obvious.  If this is temporary, dear god, please tell us that.

Also, to all of our mobile brethren, I am so sorry.  I had no idea you were living like this.
    I don't think the mobile is terrible, but I definitely think the steam was better.  However I wouldn't want them to try and cram the steam UI into my small phone screen.  They made a compromise to not have to make 2 UIs, which I get, but they need to figure out something better than this.  They could probably spread it out so 3 screens are seen simultaneously on steam and advancing jumps all 3.  Hopefully some change like that is coming.  
  • Raud
    Raud Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Now, all of us must tap in new Steam UI  :'(
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh also...ALSO...this patch has bugged the game, I just noticed.

On the character select screen, the correct HP is not shown for boosted characters. It instead shows their current unboosted HP. Imagine my surprise when I went to do more Human Torch PvP and saw his HP displayed at about the 12,000 level.

Thankfully in the actual fight their HP is where it should be.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    @Dragon_Nexus That is a known issue, and the developers are currently investigating it. You can find the relevant Bugs & Technical Issues thread HERE
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Brigby said:
    @Dragon_Nexus That is a known issue, and the developers are currently investigating it. You can find the relevant Bugs & Technical Issues thread HERE
    Any update on whether this UI change is a temporary thing because getting the new feature out the door was a priority (understandably) and they'll revert back later?
  • dijidiji
    dijidiji Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    broll said:
    dijidiji said:
    Just dropping a note to say that this new Steam UI is 100% grade-A hot trash.  Everything is wrong with this change, and all of the failings are immediately obvious.  If this is temporary, dear god, please tell us that.

Also, to all of our mobile brethren, I am so sorry.  I had no idea you were living like this.
    I don't think the mobile is terrible, but I definitely think the steam was better.  However I wouldn't want them to try and cram the steam UI into my small phone screen.  They made a compromise to not have to make 2 UIs, which I get, but they need to figure out something better than this.  They could probably spread it out so 3 screens are seen simultaneously on steam and advancing jumps all 3.  Hopefully some change like that is coming.  
    That's an interesting point.  I actually played using the Steam UI on my phone through a remote desktop connection.  You just have to be willing to play with two hands in landscape mode rather than one hand in portrait mode.  It was the best of both worlds: clean, functional UI plus mobility.

As it is now, my interest has been severely depressed by this change.  This Rogue cover can just rot right off the vine.  I hope that something better is in the works (specifically for the UI, I realize the unspecified feature is out there), but it would be a GOOD IDEA® to tell us if that's true.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    As a long suffering STEAM user of 1533 days and many thousands of hours, this is the straw that breaks the camel's back.  The new character interface is a big steaming pile of... i just tried applying a champ level and my pc briefly flashed some 2** iso - how much is that? i don't know.  Absolutely unusable and worthless.
  • Crazy_Sage
    Crazy_Sage Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    New Steam UI is super-horrible. What is good for tapping and swiping is not so good with hitting lots of buttons with mouse. Especially when you waste 2\3 of screen space.
    And it's super counter-intuitive. 
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    I love that when I open a token the reward appears normal at first then changes to the mobile version.  So half assed
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    The only reason I can think to do this would be to allow installing of the Steam version on a mobile platform. Maybe they can't do account access across platforms, but they can allow Steam users to install a Steam version on their phones?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    n25philly said:
    I love that when I open a token the reward appears normal at first then changes to the mobile version.  So half assed
    Yeah, I meant to post something like this.

It's not a replacement, it's an overlay. The bad token open animation is put on top of the old one.
    The character UI thing I could understand changing to support a new feature, but I can only assume the new feature makes use of token opening too if they're changing that.

Just like the change to vault animation didn't remove the cycling icons, it just put the shield icon on top of the cycling icons so you couldn't see most of them (but those bigger than the circle, like Rocket & Groot, would poke up behind the shield icon).

scottee said:
    The only reason I can think to do this would be to allow installing of the Steam version on a mobile platform. Maybe they can't do account access across platforms, but they can allow Steam users to install a Steam version on their phones?
    If that were so I'd have assumed they'd give you an option. "Which platform are you playing on? Steam UI or mobile UI?"

Nah, it's because the new feature uses new buttons that will be added to the mobile version and they didn't have time/inclination to update the Steam UI.

I'm hoping it's simply a time issue. That implies they'll update it later when things settle.
  • TheGame32x
    TheGame32x Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    I agree with the sentiments posted by previous posters. This new UI is atrocious. It is a wreck, makes no sense and is so un-intuitive that its not even funny. I would really like to see this ''update'' be reversed or atleast altered. There is a massive difference between playing on mobile and a desk or laptop.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,763 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018

Just noticed my Spider-Gwen for hire has disappeared and now I have a message telling me more "Heroes for Hire coming soon".

I only have Archangel and the Lv7 bundle now in Heroes for Hire, so is this also part of this grand new feature? First forcing an awful UI on us and now limiting my chances to beat the DDQ Crash?

Don't want to be too negative, but this new thing better be mind-blowingly good.

• mbaren
    mbaren Posts: 220 Tile Toppler
    Yeah, this UI shift is pretty disappointing.  I do understand that it can be frustrating to have to support two UIs (though I feel like there should be ways to work around it).  Not that I'm convinced that the mobile UI is the greatest, but even if one wants to argue that it's good on mobile, it's really poor and inefficient on PC.  Information I used to be able to access in 1-2 clicks now takes 3-5 to reach.  It's not the end of the world - boohoo, extra clicks - but one of the marks of good UI is being able to access the information you need easily and quickly.  You've made the experience of playing MPQ worse for Steam players, and that's a real shame.

Now, knowing nothing of the new feature(s) this change is supposed to allow, maybe this is just a situation where things have to get a little worse before they get better -  I hope that's the case.  But in the meantime I can't say I'm happy with this shift.
  • Esheris
    Esheris Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    I tried to give myself some time to adjust to the new changes to the steam ui, but it seems that isn't working for me. It feels clunky and like I lost a lot of good info at just a glance.

I would love at least an option to go back to the old interface. Please reconsider this unnecessary change.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Esheris said:
    I tried to give myself some time to adjust to the new changes to the steam ui, but it seems that isn't working for me. It feels clunky and like I lost a lot of good info at just a glance.

I would love at least an option to go back to the old interface. Please reconsider this unnecessary change.
    Just to let you know, if it wasn't necessary they wouldn't have done it.

It would be more of a hassle porting those graphics over unnecessarily than it would to not bother.
    We're all watching and waiting to see what this new feature is. If, as speculated earlier, it's a single button that takes you to the new screen then I'm going to be kinda grumpy about that and wonder how, exactly, they couldn't have just added that button to the existing screen.

Again, we'll need to wait and see. I feel the change is simply due to a lack of time overall (at least I hope so) but it'll suck royally if this change is not temporary.
  • Esheris
    Esheris Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    Esheris said:

Just to let you know, if it wasn't necessary they wouldn't have done it.

I know that's most likely the case, I'm just a little upset that no matter how much a steam user supports their game we end up with the short stick.

If I could switch to my tablet and play instead of Steam I would do so in a heartbeat. I know of several mobile games that allow logging in from different devices and I wish this game had that feature.
  • Halzar
    Halzar Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    I just want add my voice to the displeasure of the Steam version UI.  it's badly optimized for a PC and  I can't imagine a feature so great that it makes this mess seem good.  I don't have a Smart phone and rarely use my Kindle fire for gaming.  So cross compatibility wouldn't be a feature that i wouldn't find  particularly useful.

haven't been this annoyed with MPQ since the healing changes many moons ago :persevere:
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    I'm fine with another Thor character, just surprised it's now. Didn't the DVD release and stuff already happen? 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm fine with another Thor character, just surprised it's now. Didn't the DVD release and stuff already happen? 
    The Blu Ray was released in the US on 3/6/18, so the timing is pretty much in sync.