Are we at the beginning of the end with MPQ ?

Comments

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Steve111 said:
    I think the debate is fuelled by endlessly repeating the Dark Avengers in pve and creating overpowered characters that dominate pvp, such as 5Gambit and 4Medusa/Gamora/R&G.

Also it has to be said that pvp is a system that punishes people for playing, in my opinion. Stay out too long and a receive a ton of hits, which is so demotivating. The pvp system needs a total overhaul. The pve rota needs shaking up. 
    Nothing about this statement is new. Not sure if that helps or hurts the argument, but I don't see why now would be the beginning of the end if now is just like it always is.
  • Jrlrma
    Jrlrma Posts: 65 Match Maker
    In other words, is there a # of covers where it makes more sense to buy the remaining covers w cp vs just pulling from classics?
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jrlrma said:
    In other words, is there a # of covers where it makes more sense to buy the remaining covers w cp vs just pulling from classics?
    I didn’t include Bonus odds, which is far better, obviously, than just hoping to finish a Vintage hero with pulls.

IMO, few 4’s are worth spending CP on to finish.  It depends on your spread, but really you should probably only buy a 13th cover with CP.
  • Jrlrma
    edited March 2018
    bluewolf said:
    Jrlrma said:
    I didn’t include Bonus odds, which is far better, obviously, than just hoping to finish a Vintage hero with pulls.

IMO, few 4’s are worth spending CP on to finish.  It depends on your spread, but really you should probably only buy a 13th cover with CP.
    Yeah true, but as a newish (80 days) player, it just seems next to impossible that ill ever come close to covering the roster unless changes are made to address the dilution. 
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    Jrlrma said:
    If you mean you are determined to finish a character ASAP, is it cheaper to buy covers for 120cp each rather than pull for it at 20/25cp at a time, then yes, of course.

It's "cheaper" to "buy" every cover that way, for both recent and vintage characters .... if you view them in a vacuum.

If you consider the opportunity cost of passing up all the other covers you would have drawn on the way, then those 120cp covers start looking more and more expensive.

I refer you to the tools provided in the currently running "token odds" thread.
  • Jrlrma
    Jrlrma said:
    If you mean you are determined to finish a character ASAP, is it cheaper to buy covers for 120cp each rather than pull for it at 20/25cp at a time, then yes, of course.

It's "cheaper" to "buy" every cover that way, for both recent and vintage characters .... if you view them in a vacuum.

If you consider the opportunity cost of passing up all the other covers you would have drawn on the way, then those 120cp covers start looking more and more expensive.

Yeah i understand youre sacrificing champ rewards etc, but it seems like the 4* meta of rocket/gam/medusa and the 5* of gambit vs mpq almost require doing whatever you can to acquire those toons as your first champs to be competitive. 

Or give up pvp 

im just trying to plan out what the best way to build my roster is as i move into collecting the 4*s 
  • Jrlrma
    @Daredevil217

Great info, thanks. 
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Steve111 said:
    Also it has to be said that pvp is a system that punishes people for playing, in my opinion. Stay out too long and a receive a ton of hits, which is so demotivating. The pvp system needs a total overhaul. The pve rota needs shaking up. 
    Technically it’s the problems with using the ELO rating. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

Even wizards of the coast abandoned it when they noticed their pros weren’t playing to maintain their high ratings. MPQ is slightly different in that the scores are reset each event. Though the same trends can be seen, you climb high and stop playing. The risk is much greater too. A typical mtg tournament has finite pairings/rounds so you know the risk going in. MPQ amplify this and you have inifinite chance of being attacked. Obviously not all will be a loss, but a majority of it will be. 
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    Jrlrma said:
    Jrlrma said:

Yeah i understand youre sacrificing champ rewards etc, but it seems like the 4* meta of rocket/gam/medusa and the 5* of gambit vs mpq almost require doing whatever you can to acquire those toons as your first champs to be competitive. 

Or give up pvp 

im just trying to plan out what the best way to build my roster is as i move into collecting the 4*s 
    I know, I get that, and we're just trying to give the best advice, based on our experience.

I've bought several 4* covers with CP, and quite a few 3* covers. I even bought two 5* covers (720 a pop).

It's not just passing up the champ rewards, it's passing up 5 other draws every time you spend 120cp on a cover. If you spend 120cp on a 4*, you're also foregoing a likely 5* cover.

I only bought covers to save multiple covers from the vine and champ a character.

Or to save a cover and champ a really strong character.

There are characters who stay relevant for a long time (Bobbygollum, C4rol, yadda). They are worth spending on to finish / save.

But most of the metas have a moment and fade.

You'll get faster at building 4*s, and you will catch a future meta. You'll also eventually finish all those 'vintage' chars, and find many are still useful and fun i past they're prime :)
  • Jrlrma
    So like heres an example: i have vulture w a 2/3/3 spread, and hes the only 4 i have thats covered this well other than. 2/1/2 nighcrawler who is garbo.  And idk if i should have him as a bh to build him up or wait until i have 2 other strong 4s (which could take months to acquire) before i focus on building the pvp team for 4* land. 

I know its a marathon but im trying to run it as best i can lol
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    Jrlrma said:
    So like heres an example: i have vulture w a 2/3/3 spread, and hes the only 4 i have thats covered this well other than. 2/1/2 nighcrawler who is garbo.  And idk if i should have him as a bh to build him up or wait until i have 2 other strong 4s (which could take months to acquire) before i focus on building the pvp team for 4* land. 

Vulture is definitely a good first 4* champ. I would set him as your only 4* BH and try to cover him before he loses his 4x pull rate. He is the next 4* to go, but I don't think we have an exact date for when that is. But yeah, definitely save your CP for pulling Classics only.

For PVP, you shouldn't have too much trouble aiming for 575 points (where you get the 10 CP progression reward). When I was in 3*-4* land, I just played until 575 and stopped. 4* PVP can be frustrating unless you have at least 1 (preferably 2 or more) boosted 4*s for the event. It wasn't until I had champed a good number of 4*s that I started climbing higher and hitting 900 in PVP consistently. 
  • bluewolf
    justsing said:
    Jrlrma said:

Vulture is definitely a good first 4* champ. I would set him as your only 4* BH and try to cover him before he loses his 4x pull rate. He is the next 4* to go, but I don't think we have an exact date for when that is. But yeah, definitely save your CP for pulling Classics only.

For PVP, you shouldn't have too much trouble aiming for 575 points (where you get the 10 CP progression reward). When I was in 3*-4* land, I just played until 575 and stopped. 4* PVP can be frustrating unless you have at least 1 (preferably 2 or more) boosted 4*s for the event. It wasn't until I had champed a good number of 4*s that I started climbing higher and hitting 900 in PVP consistently. 
    Vulture will rotate to vintage status on 4/5/18, the same day that the new season starts.
  • Jrlrma
    justsing said:
    Jrlrma said:

Yeah i mean, i do well in pvp. I can usually hit anywhere from 575-725 in scl 6 w consistent t50-t25 placement. I guess im worrying too much about it lol. 
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Since you guys are talking about Vulture...does this mean MPQ isn't shutting down tomorrow?
  • bluewolf
    This thread is definitely OT at this point....
  • Twomp_thaDJ
    Twomp_thaDJ Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    bluewolf said:
    This thread is definitely OT at this point....
    yuuuuuuuuuup lol
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    justsing said:
    Jrlrma said:

Agreed. I’m ready to give him the crown that Carol has held so long as the best 4* in the game (we’ll see if the forum agrees in the March Madness tournament). He is the IM40 of the 4* tier. A great battery. He’s useable champed or underleveled (if underleveled you want 5 Black) because his main thing is staying airborne where he can’t be hurt and providing large amounts of AP. He can fuel your 3* nicely while you bring other 4s up. 

One other Latest I’m really keen on is Rogue (I have her ranked 5th). I often bring her and Medusa to counter Grocket teams for something different. Especially against the famous Rulk/Carol/Rocket counter team.  The idea is Rogue can absorb a ton of damage while you match the strikes away and Medusa gives your team AP for doing so. Just need a good Blue/Green outlet for that AP... oh hi, Vulture! That actually might be my sim team on defense come to think of it (though it lacks an active yellow).

There are tons of fun combos in 4-land.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    So I know a lot of us have joked about this and trolled a bit with how long this game will go on. I can say that right now I am a bit concerned.  If you watch any TV in the US, you will see adverting for Marvel Strike Force.  The company that is producing the game is a Fox property and we know that Marvel and Fox are working together very well again.

There are a lot of MPQ players that have starting to play this game, and I am considering it as well.   This is another Marvel property that MPQ will have to compete against. The concern is will Infinity Wars bring in enough new players to keep this rolling on?  
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    So I know a lot of us have joked about this and trolled a bit with how long this game will go on. I can say that right now I am a bit concerned.  If you watch any TV in the US, you will see adverting for Marvel Strike Force.  The company that is producing the game is a Fox property and we know that Marvel and Fox are working together very well again.

There are a lot of MPQ players that have starting to play this game, and I am considering it as well.   This is another Marvel property that MPQ will have to compete against. The concern is will Infinity Wars bring in enough new players to keep this rolling on?  

Don't worry - once people realize just HOW grindy Strike Force is, they'll be back here.
    Future Fight came and will be gone eventually soon, and MPQ is still here.

It would help though if forum dialogue with the devs didn't disappear for years at a time.
    After Ice and Will started posting I was thinking we'd see more of them from now on, but nope, it's back to "sorry, I have no info right now, but I will share it once I get it!" from the Town Crier.
This discussion has been closed.