Are we at the beginning of the end with MPQ ?

tonypq
tonypq Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
edited March 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
Was curious what outlook some of you have regarding how much longer MPQ can continue on after all these years.

I guess new players will always be attracted to the game and play for a while, but veterans many are quitting or fed up with lack up anything new aside from the lot of new characters that keep coming. 

The developers ask for input often and have made some ok changes here and there, but others not so much. To me the Black Panther event seemed really obnoxious, poorly developed and not fun. Seemingly not much is added as far as new content unless tied into a latest Marvel flick which is a let down. Would be nice for D3 to add content more often aside from the latest box office tie in. 

They have a steady enoug cash flow from the thousands of people who make purchases of some sort that I feel like we should expect some new features more regularly than 3 day movie related pve events. The mess created for those who are completionists and others who are stuck in quick sand between 4 and 5 start transitioning also seems to be something lingering on far too long, without any real effort or solutions to ease either burdon.

I keep playing because I'm a Marvel fan and this game is a bit more fun than other licensed games out there, it's kind of the default Marvel game me at the moment. I just think more could be done to add new life to this game other than grind pve or pvp endlessly. Lot of other mobile games have quite a bit more content and daily list of things to do, would be nice if MPQ got a shot in the arm after years of a pve/pvp grind fest, especially with tapping in pve really killing the fun factor.

Nice to hear how some of you feel, also from those playing for years. I just don't think we're asking too much for some new content that's fresh to be added. Especially with so many ideas the fan base has brought up, and features other successful mobile games offer that people enjoy and could be incorporated into MPQ.

Comments

• Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I believe it’s somewhere in the grey area. Ending? Not while it’s still making money. 

I believe it’s on auto pilot though. Rare new stories, which are bad, re running old stories quite often... even boss battles are starting to bore me because they aren’t new, the rewards are the same, iso disparity, etc. The only true changes are new characters. Even as cool as some of them are, I’m not using most of them because we just have SO many characters to choose from. 

So I think the developers are just resting on their lorels, maybe developing other games, who knows. They have proven that their hard work in the past can continue to churn out new money in the present, so they just aren’t in a hurry to put in the same effort again moving forward. 
  • IceHockey333
    IceHockey333 Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    No, it is not ending any time soon.  Look for the ten year anniversary vault, gonna be big.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    I don't think the game is ending. I think the player base is shifting yet again. I haven't played a match in at least 5 days, if not more, because I've found other things to occupy my old MPQ time. I only check the Forums during weekdays and I barely look at them and rarely comment anymore.

My point being: Lots of names on the Forum are gone from when I started two years ago. Probably just as many have shown up to replace them. I think the game could probably go on for a nearly infinite amount of time due to the large catalog of Marvel characters they could put in game and due to the amount of people that would pick up a "free" Marvel game and put some money into it. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    No.

----
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Conventional wisdom says that it will end eventually, but why does it have to? Even if it isn't making tons of money, if it has an engaged playerbase it still has value as a promotional tool. They could insert ads, give a new VIP level, make new bundles, etc. to keep it afloat before shutting down for good. The bottom does not seem to be falling out of the superhero movie genre anytime soon, so they would be smart to keep this game going.

It's also not directly competing with many games, nor is it really cannibalizing the market against other Marvel games. Marvel heroes shut down but its competing with DC Universe Online, and Marvel is starting to make its own console games.

• dokiy
    dokiy Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    This game isn't going anywhere as long as the MCU continues to crush at the box office. 
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    As Colog said this question gets asked a lot. I think the Pinnacle of the game was in year 2.  Yes we had the “you are suppose to lose” but after the tweak it was fine.  If I would say there was a time of downfall, it was after Boss Rush. That time frame seems to be a downturn in people leaving.  Some of the vets are handing on, but I can say that if the Infinity War tie-ins are subpar, I would be worried about the player base.  

Yes the game is making money, but not like it was.  They get a massive push a few times a year during sales, but the biggest one is Amazon Digital Days.  Anybody that knew what was going on can attest to how crazy that day was.  

I am a bit more hopefuly knowing some of other devs are back here and I am hoping there is something big coming.  We will know in a few weeks. 
  • WilsonFisk
    WilsonFisk Posts: 365 Mover and Shaker
    I'm one of those vets who called it quits after this season. I have 1475 days logged. 

For me, I just got completely bored with the same events over and over, but you know what? I still played 1475 days which is pretty damn crazy. 

Vets are obviously going to get bored with same recycled garbage over and over, but at it's core it's got great and addictive gameplay, so I can't see an end coming anytime soon. New players are still gonna come in and get hooked on the gameplay, they just might not hang around quite as long as some of us old-timers if they don't change things up a bit. 
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not ending, but definitely feeling like it has long been on autopilot, which isn't good when there are obvious problems that are apparent and need addressing.

This isn't to say development is not working on fixing them, but the game needs a shot in the arm to spark some life back into it.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Highly unlikely.

Just mentioned in another thread i am seeing ads all over the place for mpq lately, including inside of popular youtube videos.  Doesnt make sense to spend money on ads if you are circling the drain
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cycling of the playerbase is to be expected, and not at all indicative of the "death" of anything.  World of Warcraft is what, 13 years old now?  Updates, upgrades, and fresh content can keep a game (particularly multiplayer ones on subscription-like business models) going for a long time.  I think they've made enough tweaks that the actual game has been pretty well streamlined, though not properly balanced at all tiers.

For me personally, I'm on day 1090 and my interest is waning.  The preponderance of Gambit (and my inability to cover him) forced me out of PvP in any competitive sense, and I decrease my time investment by mostly playing easier CLs and slacker brackets.  I'm mostly just keeping up with the 4* tier, looking to round out some 5's for interesting casual play options.  Pretty much done spending any serious money on it unless they introduce a significant upgrade, like new game modes or ways to manipulate the meta.  I keep up VIP, though.  I still spend more time with this game than most of my other hobbies, so it's worth supporting.

Of course, who knows if that'll last.  When I stopped spending time in PvP I started spending it in a different game, which is occupying more of my time than MPQ these days.  That and there's, you know, life.  There are surely better things I could be doing with my time, so never say never to putting the game down for a hiatus.
  • RemoDestroyer
    RemoDestroyer Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2018
    Highly unlikely.

Just mentioned in another thread i am seeing ads all over the place for mpq lately, including inside of popular youtube videos.  Doesnt make sense to spend money on ads if you are circling the drain
    Is there a chance these are targeted ads? Not sure exactly how advertising works but maybe money is not spent advertising to everyone using YouTube and the internet. Only advertising to those likely to use Mpq given previous behavior may cost a lot less than advertising to everyone. That would make sense.

And for those that already downloaded Mpq maybe the ads will act as messages to play more. Maybe even cause the player to do something that directly or indirectly leads to in game purchases.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Highly unlikely.

Is there a chance these are targeted ads? Not sure exactly how advertising works but maybe money is not spent advertising to everyone using YouTube and the internet. Only advertising to those likely to use Mpq given previous behavior may cost a lot less than advertising to everyone. That would make sense.

And for those that already downloaded Mpq maybe the ads will act as messages to play more. Maybe even cause the player to do something that directly or indirectly leads to in game purchases.
    Considering i have been playing words with friends with my girlfriend for years, and the adds have ranged from movie trailers, to crash royale (never played) to FFXV (never played) to garbage games that look like cash grabs, i doubt it for there.  In the reddit is fun app, i gloss over the adds, so i couldn't say one way or the other there. 

but for you tube?  Nerdist isn't exactly a small thing.  i don't watch it all the time, just when the topic is something that might interest me, so i don't know how many times they have done this.  on this video, there were just over 100k views.  somtimes they have tens of thousands, sometimes over a million.  not saying it is an expensive ad, but i cant imagine it is cheap, or the only one that they may have done.

https://youtu.be/Sy_r77ke2DY
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    It'll be interesting if they pull a Paragon and refund everyone's purchases if the game goes belly up.

It'll be freakin scary if I could see how much money I'd ended up spending on this thing before the end.
This discussion has been closed.