Are we at the beginning of the end with MPQ ?

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wonder where some of the players get privy info such as the revenues generated from this game?

In every game, players come and go. It's a natural cycle. Besides, nothing last forever. What's important is that you have fun and had some great memories playing this game. 
  • IceHockey333
    IceHockey333 Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Arphaxad said:
    According to Google Play, MPQ is now the 145th grossing android game, well behind two other marvel based games. MPQ used to be in the top 20 all the time, so things don't look good for a sustainable future.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/topgrossing
    I would humbly disagree with that being evidence of "not looking good for a sustainable future". Where did you pull that conclusion from? 145th grossing APP (not game) is a large profit.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Arphaxad said:
    According to Google Play, MPQ is now the 145th grossing android game, well behind two other marvel based games. MPQ used to be in the top 20 all the time, so things don't look good for a sustainable future.

But see, Future Fight is one of the games above it, and as an FF player, as I said earlier, that game is on its way out. By this time next year, at the latest, the game will just be coasting on autopilot with virtually no new content of any type (I suspect that will happen by this summer). The development activity & community engagement in that game have taken serious, noticeable declines over the past several months.

Neither is true for Puzzle Quest, in my view. Yet. The day that Brigby goes silent would be a day to start seriously worrying.

• acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can see why some vet players (those 1000+ day players) create a new account and start over.  ...

Where did you come up with this nugget of mis-information?

There's not one player who put in 1000+ days of grinding & spending whose going to say "hey, Lemme start over with prologue & 1* characters!!". Goodbye 1000+ days of play.

There are a few longtime players that have alt accounts for various reasons. That's not starting over fresh.
  • IceHockey333
    IceHockey333 Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Straycat said:
    Another thing I have always wondered...

Why do people always insist on claiming that the sky is falling like this? Paranoia? Negative thinking? Trying to drive players away toward another game?

I just don't get it.
    And the forum is full of pessimists.
    We have a winner, close the thread.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,182 Chairperson of the Boards
    Straycat said:
    And the forum is full of pessimists.
    Truer words were never spoken.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2018
    I can see why some vet players (those 1000+ day players) create a new account and start over.  ...

There's not one player who put in 1000+ days of grinding & spending whose going to say "hey, Lemme start over with prologue & 1* characters!!". Goodbye 1000+ days of play.

There are a few longtime players that have alt accounts for various reasons. That's not starting over fresh.
    @acescracked

Excuse me...  I meant start a 2nd account.  You are correct.  My bad.  Poorly worded.
  • Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    maltyo9 said:
    Arphaxad said:

That list is for all Google Play apps, not just games.  While MPQ may be lower than it once was, it's a bit unfair to compare their sales numbers to Netflix and Pandora.
    Except I was using the same list before when MPQ was in the top 20 mos times I checked. I understand what you are saying, but when using the same list each time that takes in to account the different apps on the list.
  • 0_efx_0
    0_efx_0 Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2018
    Don’t forget that they make money off of MtG and Adventure Time Puzzle Quest. MPQ will last and if not, FIND OUT ON THEE NEXT EPISODE OF DRAGON BALL Z.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
     I went to search MPQ sales and a couple of websites showed that MPQ earned about ~30k in revenue per day with over 10k download on average for a certain platform, based on the metrics that they used. I can't remember if it's for IOS or Android. I'm not sure if this sales figure is considered good enough for MPQ to float but we can't quite say it for Steam users.
  • madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    Often times, and it has also been stated in another thread (Maybe by demiurge will or might have been Brigby) that there had been a longtime lull in new content (new PvE/new mechanics etc) because the team has been working on loads of new content. So while it may seem like things are slowing down, when it's just the calm before some sort of big content drop. I believe it might have been the same before champions dropped or SR/SCL dropped?

Also don't forget, the main thing keeping MPQ going is the "M". As long as Marvel has new content (comics/movies/TV) to produce, MPQ should be able to tag along just fine.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    The recent return of Will to the forums is quite encouraging. That's not something you'd expect to see happen if a game is dying or being phased out. It's likely a sign that the game is still considered healthy and expected to continue for 6+ months at minimum.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    jym010 said:
    I am a bit more hopefuly knowing some of other devs are back here and I am hoping there is something big coming.  We will know in a few weeks. 
    I agree with this statement in terms of Infinity Wars.  With this being such a big event in the MU, the needs to be something coming down the pipeline in 49 days.  My hope is that is it drastic and will maybe get back some vets that are starting to feel the grind, myself included.
    I think there is something big coming up for sure. Personally, I'm hoping to see at least a new Thanos boss event, new game features to coincide with Infinity War and also the return of one of my favourite features of MPQ, Crash of the Mad Titan AKA double Deadpool Dailies!
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 822 Critical Contributor

@acescracked

Excuse me...  I meant start a 2nd account.  You are correct.  My bad.  Poorly worded.
    I would expect the more competitive, veteran players have a second account to more closely monitor when the brackets flip. Because if you don't have alliance mates on Vine/Discord/Line feeding you that info, you've got to wait for the Google Doc to be updated, and that's not realtime data so you're at a disadvantage to someone who is getting their information from a more accurate, more timely source.
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    JSP869 said:
    I would expect the more competitive, veteran players have a second account to more closely monitor when the brackets flip. Because if you don't have alliance mates on Vine/Discord/Line feeding you that info, you've got to wait for the Google Doc to be updated, and that's not realtime data so you're at a disadvantage to someone who is getting their information from a more accurate, more timely source.
    That is one use.

I can't wait for my alt to qualify for SCL 9 .... :tongue:
  • Steve111
    Steve111 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    I think the debate is fuelled by endlessly repeating the Dark Avengers in pve and creating overpowered characters that dominate pvp, such as 5Gambit and 4Medusa/Gamora/R&G.

Also it has to be said that pvp is a system that punishes people for playing, in my opinion. Stay out too long and a receive a ton of hits, which is so demotivating. The pvp system needs a total overhaul. The pve rota needs shaking up. 
  • Oho_Sensei
    Oho_Sensei Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Every living game has an end. But having seen some of these games for some years, it usually happens much, much later than when the first voices of doom arise.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    Every living game has an end. But having seen some of these games for some years, it usually happens much, much later than when the first voices of doom arise.
    And every time these threads come up, many commenters point out that the predictions of doom have been made many times in the past.

That said, if the new feature is not executed well, or does not generate excitement, I suspect that many vets will begin reducing playtime.  At a certain point, your roster becomes hard to materially improve, or dilution locks you out of realistic completion for Vintage characters.  Odds of a Vintage 4 from a pull:  0.885%.  Odds a Vintage 5 from a Classic pull:  0.75%
  • Jrlrma
    Jrlrma Posts: 65 Match Maker
    bluewolf said:
    And every time these threads come up, many commenters point out that the predictions of doom have been made many times in the past.

That said, if the new feature is not executed well, or does not generate excitement, I suspect that many vets will begin reducing playtime.  At a certain point, your roster becomes hard to materially improve, or dilution locks you out of realistic completion for Vintage characters.  Odds of a Vintage 4 from a pull:  0.885%.  Odds a Vintage 5 from a Classic pull:  0.75%
    Has anyone ever crunched the numbers of when it becomes “profitable” so to speak, to fully cover a vintage 4 or classic 5 by paying w cp vs just blindly pulling w little realistic chance of ever finishing?
This discussion has been closed.