Q&A with Demiurge_Will Answers from Demiurge_Will begin on p.2

Options

Comments

• Demiurge_Will
    Demiurge_Will Posts: 346 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Daiches said:
    This has been one of the most interesting threads that I have read on these forums in quite some time. I would like to thank Will for giving us his time and bringing us back to a place where we have some good interaction with the developers.

My question is about the Bonus Rewards (Shield Intercepts). Why are they chained to Story events only, and has it ever been considered to expand them to the Versus events as well?

As we are currently in the middle of a two-day sub-node, this came to mind for me again. On a day like today, I will only play seventeen (17) matches in the Story area of the game (11 for HOD and 6 for DDQ). As I recall, you have the chance of getting up to twenty (20) Bonus Rewards each day. As I will play less Story matches than Bonus Rewards available, even if every match gave me a bonus (which won't happen) I would not reach the max rewards.

However, I will be in and out of Versus events all day long. So, if the Bonus Rewards were allowed in Versus as well, I would have the opportunity to get all the rewards. I would expect the Bonus Rewards to still be capped at twenty (20), and still be given out by whatever random formula activates them, but at least I would have a shot at them.

I have been an on-going VIP member for well over six (6) months now. I started VIP, to an extent, to get the Bonus Rewards without having to watch the ads. Days like today, when I am not given the ability to earn all the rewards I am paying for, make me feel a little resentful. I'm not asking for anything free, or that I get the rewards without having to play, but the way it is setup now I don't have a chance at them at all.

-Croak
    It's not in PVP because you don't want pop ups during hops. And especially not 2 minute ads like it originally was for non-VIP.
    Yeah, that's exactly our reasoning.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:

Gambit really has two powers that are rather game breaking: his purple overwriting pretty much everything, rendering anyone that makes special tiles virtually powerless, and his -2 ap destruction that occurs every turn. While you could theoretically move around the first one with some finesse (albeit frustrating and difficult), there is no way around the second component.

If his purple didn't overwrite fortified tiles (or CD tiles in general) and/or his passive black had some condition for it to start destroying ap, I think he remains the top toon in the game but other options are now available. (These are just examples of minor tweaks.)
    I think pretty much everything about Gambit's power set is overpowered.  The AP generation (plus damage) from red, the broad spectrum opponent-power-negation (plus damage) of purple, and the unprecedented conditionless AP generation/denial (plus AI improvement by guaranteeing only his OP red and purple are used) of his black...  Gambit is one of the main reasons I'm no longer playing this game seriously and competitively as I once did.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,923 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hey @Demiurge_Will,

Welcome back and thanks for all the info!

Do you know when we will be getting more information on this new feature that is being hinted at?  We know from an invisible in-game button that it involves "supports" and possibly a new currency.  I think knowing more information may soften the blow for steam users if they know something really cool is coming down the pipeline!  Thanks again!

• Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    LHammer said:
    Q: Is the new Steam UI a forever thing or a temporary change that will be adjusted when time/resources are available?  If the former, what will it take to make you reconsider?
    It would move higher on the to-do list if the number of PC players increased to be a bigger share of the total player population, or if we figured out how to get enough faster at building UI to efficiently support different UIs for different platforms.

But reversion of the Steam UI is definitely on the to-do list?
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ok read the whole thread and my question is this: 

Would the development team consider implementing a feature to spend cp to change the colour of a received cover? It could be set to paying a third of the cost of outright buying a cover. 

It would incentivise pulling classic LT again and also solve the issue of pulling a 14th cover for a character to who is not cover maxed. Something particularly painful at 5* level. It would also free up some time for CS to stop doing all those swaps.
  • Jomu5
    Jomu5 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Jomu5 said:
    Quick question... This thread ever going to get new answers?
    Apparently! Sorry for the delay.
    Given the level of user involvement and number of questions contributed since the inception of this thread, what is the likelihood that there will be a regular q&a on the forum with developers?
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2018
    Options
    LHammer said:
    Q: Is the new Steam UI a forever thing or a temporary change that will be adjusted when time/resources are available?  If the former, what will it take to make you reconsider?
    It would move higher on the to-do list if the number of PC players increased to be a bigger share of the total player population, or if we figured out how to get enough faster at building UI to efficiently support different UIs for different platforms.

But reversion of the Steam UI is definitely on the to-do list?
    Sounds like they are rebuilding that chunk of UI and the only way to get it to work right away on steam is to put steam on the mobile version, one patch ahead of the feature roll out. They dont currently have the resources to build and test the new UI twice concurrently. building the steam UI version of new feature goes on someday list.

All dandy(ish) assuming the new feature is worth it, and that someday ever comes!
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ok read the whole thread and my question is this: 

Would the development team consider implementing a feature to spend cp to change the colour of a received cover? It could be set to paying a third of the cost of outright buying a cover. 

It would incentivise pulling classic LT again and also solve the issue of pulling a 14th cover for a character to who is not cover maxed. Something particularly painful at 5* level. It would also free up some time for CS to stop doing all those swaps.
    That's one of a few variations I posted during discussion in this thread, over two years old.  It had a lot of upvotes on the old forum.  But yeah, @Demiurge_Will -- I'd like to second this question: is any fix to the unusable cover dilemma in the works?

A cynical view would be that this dilemma is desirable, and that's why it remains unaddressed.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    LHammer said:
    That isn't, directly, an answer to the question posed: is it a forever thing or a temporary thing? If it's on the list, then it's temporary for values of temporary; what we Steam users want to know is if that is, in fact, the case.
  • ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    LHammer said:
    How this change is gonna help to increase the user count when the only thing that has done so far is alienate the small player base that you have remaining in the platform?

"You want back that thing that we took away, bring more players or revenue", baffling...
  • jtmagee
    jtmagee Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    Options
    jtmagee said:
    @Demiurge_Will

Thank you for taking some of your free time to answer these questions.

This is a specific question into game mechanics and potential character tweaks. How hard is it to format a change in where/how the stones drop? Is there a way for them to replace where a match is made before the board continues to drop? Is there a way for them to move from left-right/right-left instead of top-bottom? I feel with how different each character’s powers are, I was wondering if these types of mechanics are hard to code or if there is a way to implement some of these somehow. It would change the game drastically but also open up a LOT of possibilities.
    This is a cool idea! It would be very challenging to implement a power that changed the "gravity" of the board, but we've tackled problems of similar magnitude over the years - usually something like this will happen when a character just *has* to do something unusual in order to tell their story. (Phoenix returning from being downed is an example of this - the game was not at all set up to allow downed characters to return before we built her.)
    @Demiurge_Will thanks for the response.

If you have the time to continue this type of dialogue with this idea, PM me. I have a few few other in regards to it that may give some extra insight into game design without simply being “new character means increase match damage for impact.”

That being said, there are quite a few characters who could use a simple board restructuring if the mechanics were able to be implied. But I understand if a character “has” to meet these demands. For instance, if Silver Surfer serves Galactus, wouldn’t it be favorable to him to have a mechanic similar to War Machine’s Aerial Assault, which has a percentage increase on drop tiles, but for Silver Surfer’s Black Power, it would relate to the stones Boss Galactus has power creep in?

So if SS’ black power destroyed 5 stones, wouldn’t it bode well to SS’ character to either replace this empty space with Galactus’ preferred colors, or have the drop tiles have a strong percentage of those tiles drop?

The point being, as simple as a 64-block square game can be, the limits are being restrained to a “drop” mechanism. For those characters who have “flight” mechanisms, like Vulture, Archangel, etc., wouldn’t it be viable to eventually develop a mechanic to where their preferred colors “take flight,” or replace tiles they use?

Sorry. Long tangent. Hope that makes sense.
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Will, just wanted to say again, thanks for the communication. You’ve made a lot more people happy, than have posted in here, hearing your thought process on some things, maybe the plans and limitations, and indeed, your passion is obvious too, to do this in your spare time.

... Also, why are 4* feeders for 5* coming our glacially? It really will be more than a year at this rate before one exists for all 5*!

Ahem. Seriously, you’re awesome, and if you can keep doing this, that would be great.
  • LHammer
    LHammer Posts: 97 Match Maker
    Options
    LHammer said:
    Fair enough.  I might not like the answer but I understand and respect it.  Thanks for taking the time to provide the feedback.

As a separate note - I would also like to see more Steam players.  Something I say on every survey is that if you want more Steam users you should add cards and achievements.  It's a minimal amount of effort for free money and fresh blood that would not create an in-game advantage.  Consider it?
  • Simplicius
    Simplicius Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Options
    LHammer said:
    LHammer said:
    Fair enough.  I might not like the answer but I understand and respect it.  Thanks for taking the time to provide the feedback.

As a separate note - I would also like to see more Steam players.  Something I say on every survey is that if you want more Steam users you should add cards and achievements.  It's a minimal amount of effort for free money and fresh blood that would not create an in-game advantage.  Consider it?
    Have they even fixed the tutorial bug where players (like me, first time around) quit in frustration because they made Doctor Doom's hitbox too small? The game says "bring Doctor Doom up to the front" and you're led to assume it's just crashed, or was never programmed properly.
This discussion has been closed.