MPQ at Marvel.com (America Chavez) (12/20/17)

Comments

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anon said:
    mexus said:
    "If the player has three different colored trap tiles, they are removed, deal damage and generate AP in that color."

In that which color?
    "Anytime the player makes a match 4 or greater, she creates trap tiles of that color."
    Sucks that they nerfed trap tiles.
    Given that these particular trap tiles don't have any effect tied to being matched, does the previous change to match-4 behaviour make any difference?  It looks like it would be neutral to me.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    JHawkInc said:

Venom Bomb didn't kill us two Christmases ago, Thanos didn't last year. This too, shall pass.

You're kidding right? Venom Bomb was the worst experience 2 years ago. Did you forget my very documented experience during Christmas release event? See link below:

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/37265/holidays-mpq-a-love-story 

I strongly do not recommend sacrificing family time for this game. This character does not look game changing. I still regret grinding for Venom during his release, which btw I still do not have fully covered from 2 years ago!

Enjoy life and family. The game can wait. I'm very disgusted with D3/Demiurge right now. The lack of true holiday goodies was bad enough, now I hope they get coal for Christmas.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,605 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc said:

Venom Bomb didn't kill us two Christmases ago, Thanos didn't last year. This too, shall pass.

You're kidding right? Venom Bomb was the worst experience 2 years ago. Did you forget my very documented experience during Christmas release event? See link below:

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/37265/holidays-mpq-a-love-story 

I strongly do not recommend sacrificing family time for this game. This character does not look game changing. I still regret grinding for Venom during his release, which btw I still do not have fully covered from 2 years ago!

Enjoy life and family. The game can wait. I'm very disgusted with D3/Demiurge right now. The lack of true holiday goodies was bad enough, now I hope they get coal for Christmas.
    You cannot forget what is not noteworthy enough to remember.

My statement stands. Venom Bomb didn't kill us two Christmases ago.

And Thanos didn't last year. And America won't this year.

• D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    The way I see it: As most of the people want to be free of work on Xmas and New Year, so the dev team of MPQ. So they decided to go with 2 back to back 7 days events to pass the holidays. And so people would not say that they didn't give us anything during Xmas, they decided to make the release of America Chavez during this time. 

Most of us are free, home, and since it's a family reunion or home-based celebration, you can play from time to time, and it's ok that you have what to play for, rather than not having content at all. That being said, nobody is forcing you to compete on release. Just play casual for a couple of days or don't play at all, if you want a break. Simple as that. There will be plenty of time to cover the new character. 

As of America Chavez abilities, I see her as 5-3-5. Her red is going to be the most useful and powerful ability since 20% more tile damage for every AP (probably 25% at 5 covers) is huge, or at least that's how it sounds on paper (4 red AP mean 100% more tile damage in red at 5 covers). Making critical tiles would also benefit this greatly, so the green passive is a no brainer as well, while her yellow passive is pretty underwhelming, because trap tiles, and because you need at least 3 of them. Good luck on keeping them on the board that long, especially that you need to make 4 or more matches to get them. Now the only scenario that her yellow would be good is if you plan to make the team around trap tile creators like Nick Fury, Elektra, Daredevil & an so on. But the R&G or Gambit meta suggest otherwise, both heroes working extremelly well with Chavez. 
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    A new character release over Christmas, yes, just what we needed.  :/
    Sorry kids, we’ll open presents after my clears. You can wait right?
    The devs are like that needy girlfriend who wont let you do anything with anyone else. 
  • Nick441234
    broll said:
    Still no double ISO or Mad Titan DDQ.  Christmas is ruined forever. 
    This is certainly heading towards a new record for D3 stinginess. The Christmas of 2017 will be talked about until the game finally ends. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    D4Ni13 said:
    The way I see it: As most of the people want to be free of work on Xmas and New Year, so the dev team of MPQ. So they decided to go with 2 back to back 7 days events to pass the holidays. And so people would not say that they didn't give us anything during Xmas, they decided to make the release of America Chavez during this time.
    Not that it makes a big difference, but we have just one 7 day (EotS) starting Thursday the 28th. Venom Bomb is the normal 4 day length. There was a mistake in communication somewhere.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    America looks really interesting!

OMG, the whining in this thread! Players talk about game creators as if they were heartless bosses making them come in to work over their weekends and holidays. That’s not reality.

MPQ is a game.

Yeah, and it's starting to look like they really dropped the ball as far as the Christmas event is concerned.

Not only compared to their competitors but also to what they themselves offered players in previous years.

• Keirain1982
    Keirain1982 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    America looks really interesting!

OMG, the whining in this thread! Players talk about game creators as if they were heartless bosses making them come in to work over their weekends and holidays. That’s not reality.

MPQ is a game.

Agreed. If you'd rather enjoy Xmas, then enjoy Xmas. Pick up the new release after the event when she's in packs.
  • D4Ni13
    bluewolf said:
    D4Ni13 said:
    Not that it makes a big difference, but we have just one 7 day (EotS) starting Thursday the 28th. Venom Bomb is the normal 4 day length. There was a mistake in communication somewhere.
    Ah, I see. Good to know. I thought they are going to make 2 subs as 2 days to make it work on 7 days. 
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,764 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc said:
    It is becoming extremely apparent that D3 and Demi does not like or respect the player base.  They talk about Quailty of Life when they give you the option of turning the animations off. While this is nice and since it make things fast, I guess this could be considered QoL. Then the put a new darn release over a world wide holiday.  One of the biggest holiday of the year, and yes I am aware not everybody celebrates Christmas.   This is just another slap in the face to the player base that we cannot put this game down for one gosh darn day. All because they want to "stick to their scheduled releases".  It is decisions like this that drive people away from the game more and more.  

Before some people say that you can make your decision if you want to play or not, which is very true, they could of darn well move things around to avoid this but said at their confernace table "Nope. We will do a new release over Christmas because we can."  Such a bad way to end a year with a lot of turmoil in the game.  This is not looking good going into 2018. 
    Aren't their scheduled releases always on a Thursday? So they are changing their release schedule to INTENTIONALLY run the event over Christmas
    This is an international game, and there are plenty of people that don't celebrate Christmas. I'm pretty sure those people have other times of the year they wish they could have a break or something for a holiday (whether other religions, or related to non-US nations, or just personal stuff), and have the same "do I play?" decision to make.

The fairest thing to do is to run the game the same way year-round regardless, so everyone is affected the same way.

I'll be playing MPQ sub-optimally during the breaks when family members are refilling coffee cups, or stopping to clean up loose wrapping paper (or getting the cats out of the Christmas tree...), but I don't lament the game running on Christmas. I choose to pay instead of just putting it down.

According to a poll here (https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/67132/geography-poll-aka-where-in-the-world-is-mpq-played/p1) 96% of players come from regions that celebrate Christmas, so yes there are people who don't celebrate Christmas, but not many of them play this game.

Anyway, I'll play this game more as there's no public transport at all for several days here, so can't even go anywhere (QoL indeed).

• D4Ni13
    edited December 2017
    The point is that it should not matter if you celebrate Christmas or not. Playing the game is a choice that somebody should make, regardless if they celebrate a holiday or not.

I know that my opinion is unpopular, but nobody is forced to play if they don't like it, or don't have time to do so. For me, complaining that you have new content during holiday is a really bad reason to complain. People are busy all time around, and this is a game. If you have time and you want to put effort into it, you can compete, if not, you don't. Simple yes/no choice. It's not like anything is exclusive in this game and if you don't play on Xmas day you won't have other opportunities to get that hero.  

If one is a fan of America Chavez, he/she will make an effort to play on release, if not, than he/she would only play if they have time or don't play at all. But what if one gets bored during holiday and wants to play and wouldn't have anything to do in game ? Would that be better ?  

• Nick441234
    Of course there should still be events running on Christmas. The issue is that its a new release. Simply run an event with an older character as the reward, and all are happy. 
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Of course there should still be events running on Christmas. The issue is that its a new release. Simply run an event with an older character as the reward, and all are happy. 
    All are never happy.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Yeah they should shut the servers down and turn the internet off on christmas I mean come on!
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    How about we get back to discussing the new character.

All passives, that's pretty nuts. At champ levels her green has potential to be amazing - each turn. 
    Just ensure you have more AP in 5 colors than the enemy team = 4K damage plus a crit at the beginning of Every turn. Start with 1 Stockpile and you have this going in on turn 2.
    Play vs goons and they only gain AP in 2 or 3 colors regardless, and they spend it right away. Seems like there are countless teams that you could build around this all-passive set since she has no way to spend the AP she depends on. It's not like you cant use any powers, just try to get/keep more AP than the enemy. You're basically doing that anyway.
  • Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    broll said:
    Still no double ISO or Mad Titan DDQ.  Christmas is ruined forever. 
    This is certainly heading towards a new record for D3 stinginess. The Christmas of 2017 will be talked about until the game finally ends. 

Yeah, the things we'll be talking about in March 2018.  :s
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus said:
    "so yes there are people who don't celebrate Christmas, but not many of them play this game."

There are also those who live in a Christmas part of the world but doesn't celebrate for one reason or another. Be it loneliness, an active choice or some other reason I can or can not care about. All I know is that I don't celebrate Christmas, neither does my brother and it's really not that uncommon. :)
    What does some people not celebrating Xmas have to do with anything though, nobody is asking D3 to shut the game down for Xmas, merely stick to their usual schedule for a new release rather than moving them specifically to hit christmas day itself as they have done in this case.