Booster Crafting Details *Updated (12/8/17)

Options
12346»

Comments

• tfg76
    tfg76 Posts: 258 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This could be implemented as a three-card booster, costing, say 100 runes, that was only purchasable every 3 hours. That way, winning actually matters a bit, but you can still get by if you keep losing.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Options
    tfg76 said:
    This could be implemented as a three-card booster, costing, say 100 runes, that was only purchasable every 3 hours. That way, winning actually matters a bit, but you can still get by if you keep losing.
    So if you win, you can either get your pocket-change of 100 runes, or you can trade it in for 3 useless commons.  Hooray!!!

Jokes aside, I think this model is a significant improvement of the past 2.  3-card pack every 8 hours?  "Sure, let me set my routine timers and revolve my sleep schedule around this game."  1 card every 2 hours?  "Why even sleep at all ever??"

A constant need to be focusing on or playing this game at all times will burn out more loyal players than it will bring in in-game purchases.
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Options
    You can easily make 5-10k every day with story mode. So 3-card booster should cost at least 1000 runes, everybody could  buy so much cards, that no one will  ever spend real money on the game. 
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @IM_CARLOS
    I hope you are joking...

The free stuff is meant to be limited but meant to encourage people to play. It's in most F2P games, the point is finding the balance, not an all or nothing approach.
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Unobtanium is still valuable, but only for packs you have none or almost none of the cards it contains. When the new set releases it means you can gift yourself 1-2 Mythics. It becomes much more of a long game currency. I'd still rather see it give non duplicates though.
  • IM_CARLOS
    Options
    If yo think in mana orbs, the daily trials net's you more income than buying premium packs. So long term (new set)  jewel can really find its place. 
  • IM_CARLOS
    Options
    Kinesia said:
    @IM_CARLOS
    I hope you are joking...

The free stuff is meant to be limited but meant to encourage people to play. It's in most F2P games, the point is finding the balance, not an all or nothing approach.
    misunderstanding:

I meant, 3-card booster beside the daily free stuff.
  • Houdin
    Houdin Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @Brigby I only have one concern with the booster crafting and that deals with the elite packs and not the actual crafting.

I understand the need to stop the reroll of dupe mythics from the elite pack but I think the process should have been cut off for new occurrences after the specified date and bornfor ongoing ones.
    Case in point, after days waiting for customer service to process a claim for pulling a Duplicate masterpiece I was finally credited on the 9th. I rerolled right away and pulled the same card again. 
    New ticket entered. Response now is no rerolls.  
    I really don't think this event should be considered as after the cutoff period as it is still part of the initial event of getting a Duplicate card.

Thoughts?
  • HypnoticSpecter
    HypnoticSpecter Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    When I filed for a reroll on last Thursday afternoon, they just gave me 400 purple back, not a new pack.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Drewster said:
    Or we could do away with masterpieces like paper MtG.
    They are coming back the set after Rivals of Ixalan (in a new form like invokations were). They won't be present in EVery set.
    Source?

I'm seeing online speculation that Dominaria will have masterpieces, but couldn't find anything from Wizards of the Coast themselves.

Also I'd be perfectly fine with masterpieces being done away with. Considering how they've been implemented in this game, and that pretty much all weekend it was match after match of "opponent drops masterpiece, I lose two turns later due to said masterpiece" I'm pretty salty regarding them, and wouldn't care if they all died in a fire, and never exist in this game again.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Also I'd be perfectly fine with masterpieces being done away with. Considering how they've been implemented in this game, and that pretty much all weekend it was match after match of "opponent drops masterpiece, I lose two turns later due to said masterpiece" I'm pretty salty regarding them, and wouldn't care if they all died in a fire, and never exist in this game again.
    masterpieces from the start have been a blatant cash grab for Wizards, to get people to buy more boosters (talking about the original card game too).

I've never liked them.  However, now that they're here.  I don't feel like it's fair to the whales (and especially to the non-whales who got really lucky) to just take them away.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wereotter said:
    Drewster said:
    They are coming back the set after Rivals of Ixalan (in a new form like invokations were). They won't be present in EVery set.
    Source?

I'm seeing online speculation that Dominaria will have masterpieces, but couldn't find anything from Wizards of the Coast themselves.

Only one masterpeice I am aware of could cause that quick of a loss.  And anyone who thinks Omniscience isn't way overpowered is just deluding themselves.
  • wereotter
    Options
    babar3355 said:
    wereotter said:
    Drewster said:
    Source?

Only one masterpeice I am aware of could cause that quick of a loss.  And anyone who thinks Omniscience isn't way overpowered is just deluding themselves.
    No Mercy coming out over and over from one opponent did this to me too, though it did take longer than two turns.

Also let me tell you how much fun it was to watch Hazoret's Undying Fury pull up two Hour of Devestation and then Oketra's Last Mercy. Not a masterpiece, but still an incredibly broken card. There was no coming back from that. I ended up rage quitting the entire event after those match ups.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hour of Devastation is incredibly powerful but I'm not ready to call it OP just yet. 
  • wereotter
    Options
    Hazoret's Undying Fury was the broken card in that example. It allowed all three other cards to be played back to back wrecking everything on my side of the field while resetting my opponent to square one. However, Hour of Devestation really should hit your creatures as well as your opponents'

One sided wrath effects are historically overly powerful.
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Whenever the popular advice is, “put it in every red deck”, you need to consider that a card is broken.  HUF is there right now.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    1 HUF into 4 Hour of Devastation in Enrage mode is very powerful though. 
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Houdin said:
    @Brigby I only have one concern with the booster crafting and that deals with the elite packs and not the actual crafting.

I understand the need to stop the reroll of dupe mythics from the elite pack but I think the process should have been cut off for new occurrences after the specified date and bornfor ongoing ones.
    Case in point, after days waiting for customer service to process a claim for pulling a Duplicate masterpiece I was finally credited on the 9th. I rerolled right away and pulled the same card again. 
    New ticket entered. Response now is no rerolls.  
    I really don't think this event should be considered as after the cutoff period as it is still part of the initial event of getting a Duplicate card.

Thoughts?
    @Houdin instead of creating a brand new ticket if you had just continued with the original ticket you would have faced no problem.  In fact, do it now. I think they did make it pretty clear that any tickets created AFTER the cut-off date for re-rolls, would not be entertained.
  • Drewster
    Drewster Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    wereotter said:
    Drewster said:
    Source?

Sorry, I may have misspoke because of a live twitch feed verbal "confirmation" I remember during a recent Grand Prix. All I can find on the internet officially is "The Masterpieces Series will revert to being in fewer sets (none in Ixalan)" from
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/changes-to-magic-the-gathering-set-releases-2018

So, I am going to edit that previous post. I would BET that there will be masterpieces in Dominaria, but true confirmation I don't have.