Shield Training - the disconnect continues.

Comments

• Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
     It’s very simple look at anything new they have done for this game other than a constant release of characters the answer is nothing. What events are nothing new it’s a restricted timer unlocking a new event restricting timers it’s the same old same old they have yet to design anything new in this game in the last 2 to 3 years there is no true player versus player it’s just player versus computer but you lose points.  My hats off to them though for being able to keep roping in players to pay money for literally no new experience I have never played a mobile game that hasn’t attempted to do something different   If any of you have played the WWE version of this game you’ll see how far marvel puzzle quest has fallen from being innovative and new    I would love to see actual player versus player with tournament camps meaning you can’t just have the most powerful card and smash everybody all five stars and three stars and four stars with the And you actually go one on one with strategy it would be amazingly fun and until that happens I will never spend another dime on this game it’s a I’m sitting on the **** match Gems game which is what it is right now **** until they actually start developing new ways to play in it. Restricting players from using cards is not fun and when this game first started it was all about letting the players have fun. It was how they promoted balance changes new cards interactions it was all for the good And the fun of the game how far they have fallen from that mantra
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here is the funny thing about this event.  The players who really pay to get covers typically have strong 5* rosters now.  Anyone with a championed 5* Gambit can let yo know having a championed essental 5* is so much more important than having the neediest 4* championed and buffed.  The difficulty in getting top placement in PVE and PVP and having the iso to get the newist 2 4* to high level is a ton of work.  The players who spend some $ to champ the newist 4* will still do so th only difference is they will get a couple covers from this event.  I personally do as many nodes as possible then just let the event die.  I will eventually cover and champion the newist 4* but I also know the 5* is so much more important and will sacrifice leveling a 4* to champion the 5*
  • Michaelcles
    Michaelcles Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    bluewolf said:
    @Michaelcles You should not at all expect them to tell you when their "license expires".  I would assume that it extends until the game is shut down, but maybe it's renewed on some periodic basis.  But they won't tell you any of that. The last thing a FTP game would do it give spenders a heads up that "on this date, all your purchases will be worthless" or even "might be worthless depending on negotiations".

—-

Sorry, messed up the quote.  

They don’t have to say.  But at some point the game will end and how valuable was that $100 you spent in the month before it went down?

This game is very old for a mobile app.

Don’t say you weren’t warned.

i look forward to saying “I told you so”.

• Michaelcles
    Michaelcles Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    Borstock said:
    Borstock said:

You don't have to be able to complete everything for an event to be worthwhile. It's not an insult. It's a game. 
    It’s an insult when you’ve shelled out significant $$$ and the developer puts new content behind a paywall, and continues to do so despite customer dis-satisfaction.
    No, it's not. That's like saying it's insulting when the grocery store makes you pay for apples when you bought apples the week before.

I don't know how many times it has to be said... this game is not a charity. Businesses that say "you know what, we already made money, we don't need to make anymore" don't last. They're not insulting you. They're not looking to make your life miserable. They are not plotting to gaslight you. They are making a game designed to generate income. If you don't want to spend any money, there's a very simple solution to that problem.

Don't.
    I didn’t know you were in charge of telling others how they feel.  Try not to use bad examples or hyperbole if you want people to take you seriously.

Guess what - people don’t all think or feel like you.
  • Phaserhawk
    Again look no further than League of Legends or Clash Royale. They want you to get everything. LoL makes $ by selling skins or boosts or access to characters early. CR at least levels the playing field with tournaments  there is a reason why this game has dropped in gross sales. Lack of new content (sorry boss events aren’t really new content), an ever increasing divide between haves and have nots, this is a game that is grabbing cash and milking the Marvel License. Ask yourself this, if this wasn’t marvel but random made up characters would you still be playing?
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    They've already explained that they feel not everyone should be able to finish Shield Training. Moaning everytime it comes round clearly isn't going to change anything as they've made their stance very clear on it. 

Complete the nodes you can, and move on to whatever you have to do next. You are still gaining extra tokens and ISO that you wouldn't receive were Shield Training not there. 
    Yeah, I get that not everyone should be able to complete it. No-one disputes that as a design choice. We get it.

If you read my initial post, my issue isn't "But I should be able to complete everything", my issue is that it is borderline impossible to complete this run without having been perfect in every event up to now.

Also the issue that the design of "Vets with expansive rosters" is nonsense as well since each event barring the first has required a high level, brand new character.

That's what I'm talking about by a disconnect. Their words of what the event is meant to be about aren't in keeping with how it's designed.
    My post wasn't really in response to your original post. Your original post is reasonable. Its more the folk who have very under-developed rosters who are whining that they can only do 3 or 4 nodes that I'm aiming my comments at. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:
    Borstock said:

You don't have to be able to complete everything for an event to be worthwhile. It's not an insult. It's a game. 
    It’s an insult when you’ve shelled out significant $$$ and the developer puts new content behind a paywall, and continues to do so despite customer dis-satisfaction.
    No, it's not. That's like saying it's insulting when the grocery store makes you pay for apples when you bought apples the week before.

Um how is it like that?  First off you can't really compare a F2P game business model to a store unless you're talking about a store that let's you choose your price and/or nothing, (yes this has actually been tried https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/07/14/down-with-price-tags-heres-how-to-profit-when-people-pay-what-they-want/?utm_term=.88d4f6759bc3).

F2P is basically a subsidized game.  Those who are willing and able to pay do so and their payments support the game enough to allow others to play for little to nothing.  If a game is going to claim to be F2P, which this game does, then it needs to be Free to Play.  Now that's not to say that certain feature or options can't be locked behind a paywall.  Some other methods are accelerated progression (or P2W which is this game's premium bread and butter), pay to remove ads (which this game tried but sadly failed at), and/or cosmetics like skins or emojis or whatever (which this game doesn't do at all)

I think the outrage here comes from the idea the game is already that the game already has P2W does it really need paywalls blocking off features too?  I can't answer that, I don't know what their finances look like.  The interesting thing is SHIELD Training is arguably both P2W (buy allowing enhanced progression through ISO, covers, and an LT) and a feature paywall.  

I know I personally would rather them keep focusing on the existing P2W vs bring in more methods, especially paywalls.  I actually really liked the SHIELD intercepts as a revenue stream for them and it's unfortunate that didn't work out.  It's also unfortunate that they don't have any cosmetic pay features.  If it weren't for the fact that there are already variants of most characters and in some cases 4-5 versions they could probably have made a killing on variants being skins you buy and apply so you play the version of the character you want.
  • HobieCat76
    HobieCat76 Posts: 73 Match Maker
    So, I'm jumping into this chain with another observation.  Why is SHIELD Training done before Nico's PVE event is complete?

Maybe it was this way with previous SHIELD Trainings and I didn't notice, but I definitely noticed this time because I got lucky and pulled my 2nd Purple Nico cover this morning (and my 2nd total Nico cover), meaning that I could actually give that 2nd Nico node a go in SHIELD Training.  That's when I realized that SHIELD Training was ending this morning even though slices 4 and 5 of the Simulator aren't even close to being done! 

Look, I'm not going to even wade into the argument about SHIELD Training and whales, you guys are doing a good enough job with that.  I AM going to argue that if you're going to have a "bonus" event that seemingly celebrates the newest 4* and gives you increasing challenges based on how high you can get that new 4* leveled up, you should at least give everyone a fair chance to win a cover (or 2) of that 4* in that character's PVE event!!  If you're in the last 2 slices of the Simulator (and especially the last one), you are automatically disadvantaged in SHIELD Training.

Picking a later slice should not disadvantage someone like this.  @Brigby - Next time SHIELD Training is run, please pass on that it should not end until all of the new 4*'s events (both PVE and PVP) are over.  This way everyone has the same sporting chance to progress in the SHIELD Training.  Thanks.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    I definitely remember the MEH Shield Training followed the same pattern.  The store is even open for about 21-24 hours after all slices end.   Why not let the Shield Training end after the event store closes (or at least the same day)?

I suppose they are trying to create urgency about buying in the store, but it doesn’t feel very good.

But then again, they didn’t even have a way to get MEH covers when the Shield Training opened.  
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    bluewolf said:
    I definitely remember the MEH Shield Training followed the same pattern.  The store is even open for about 21-24 hours after all slices end.   Why not let the Shield Training end after the event store closes (or at least the same day)?

I suppose they are trying to create urgency about buying in the store, but it doesn’t feel very good.

But then again, they didn’t even have a way to get MEH covers when the Shield Training opened.  
    Specifically because you have to have way to cash in the tokens.  Thats why the store always closes 24 hrs after the last run of the event.  They use to have the store close earlier and it was a big issue.

edit:
    Just to clarify  there were two major issues.
    1.  You potentially got two tokens from your alliance tokens.  They extended the store length so that you had a 24 hr grace period to cash that token in.
    2.  On Vaults,  extending the life of the store made a difference because you had more time to try for various prizes.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    So, I'm jumping into this chain with another observation.  Why is SHIELD Training done before Nico's PVE event is complete?

Picking a later slice should not disadvantage someone like this.  @Brigby - Next time SHIELD Training is run, please pass on that it should not end until all of the new 4*'s events (both PVE and PVP) are over.  This way everyone has the same sporting chance to progress in the SHIELD Training.  Thanks.

Thats really not a reasonable argument.  The cover shows up early in the progression, and If haven't gotten a new release cover by now.  Then the truth is your a marginal player who didn't make an effort in the debut event, the alliance event, pvp reward, pvp progression.

There were many multiple times that you could have won this new release cover.
  • HobieCat76
    HobieCat76 Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Phumade said:

Thats really not a reasonable argument.  The cover shows up early in the progression, and If haven't gotten a new release cover by now.  Then the truth is your a marginal player who didn't make an effort in the debut event, the alliance event, pvp reward, pvp progression.

There were many multiple times that you could have won this new release cover.
    You are correct, there were other previous events, but why should the final PVE event be shortchanged?  If you're going to celebrate a new 4* with SHIELD Training, then be inclusive of the entire set of events for that 4*.  As other people mention above, it's like when a vault closed just as an event ended.  When that happened, it didn't give people in the later slices an opportunity to spend any final tokens they earn.  The same applies here. You could get that one Nico token that lets you fight that next node in SHIELD Training on the last day.  Why shouldn't you have the same opportunity to try that node as someone in an earlier slice?

As such, it is a reasonable argument.  Calling someone a "marginal player" and then dismissing them isn't helpful to this discussion.
  • Phaserhawk
    I liked the random one of story event where you got one cover of the 4* in the end. I would think you would increase revenue if you tried to get everyone to have at lest one in each color. Then they can start paying $ to try and level it up 
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. I will be sure to pass all this feedback along to the team, but I just want to clarify one point.

It was unintentional for The Hulk (Main Event) to be unavailable in packs. This was an oversight, and this has been brought to the attention of the designers to ensure this doesn't happen again. We apologize for the inconvenience.
    And yet, y'all just ran with it anyway. It may have been unintentional, but there was a 7k HP H4H for the OTHER two characters. Clearly, the ability was there to make MEHulk covers available for the event, and Demi just didn't bother.

So there's that.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,763 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    broll said:
    Borstock said:
    Borstock said:

I know I personally would rather them keep focusing on the existing P2W vs bring in more methods, especially paywalls.  I actually really liked the SHIELD intercepts as a revenue stream for them and it's unfortunate that didn't work out.  It's also unfortunate that they don't have any cosmetic pay features.  If it weren't for the fact that there are already variants of most characters and in some cases 4-5 versions they could probably have made a killing on variants being skins you buy and apply so you play the version of the character you want.

Makes me wonder what happened to the variant covers we got in the past: couldn't they make these available to buy? Even if you can't use them in game, maybe have an option to view them in your roster? Or have an Art Gallery option? And while we're at it, why not have an Achievements room you can unlock?

Some variant covers here:

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/24703/poll-new-cover-art-1-of-2/p1

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/24704/poll-new-cover-art-2-of-2/p1

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lets all keep in mind that this will be an ongoing issue with every single SHIELD Training that rolls out in the future UNLESS it straddles a season flip.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. I will be sure to pass all this feedback along to the team, but I just want to clarify one point.

It was unintentional for The Hulk (Main Event) to be unavailable in packs. This was an oversight, and this has been brought to the attention of the designers to ensure this doesn't happen again. We apologize for the inconvenience.
    How is it unintentional when they knew that he would be unavailable? This wasn't an oversight, far from it. 

I hate to level this at you because you are just their PR man spouting the company line, but these company lines are just flat out insulting and do nothing to entice as a customer to spend money.
This discussion has been closed.