Lame Update

Options
1235»

Comments

• Thésée
    Thésée Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Well this thread has convinced me, it is time to grind my way up to platinum, any suggestions for that?
    If you are really decided, the best for Platinum grind  as far as I know is the Heroic Encounters in Story Mode. It is where the mastery level of a card rise the quickest

Heroic Encounter Chandra, 5th game, is what I played for my platinum grind. The encounter is easy and quick since she's only 82 hp. She has a creature on board at the start but it can be easily dispatched  

I used Saheeli with Skysovereign, a few removal and lots of uncoloured cards to master. There are lots of other possibilities like Ob for example 
  • Sirchombli
    Sirchombli Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Grind up all of those junk mythics that just sit in your collection mocking you @TheDragonHermit it probably won't even take too long. As long as you're platinum in one of the event's colors, you enter in platinum. Just about every event has a white node and a green node, so if you don't go the colorless cards route, I'd prioritize one of those colors and then you can grind the rest at a more leisurely pace. From the time I hit plat in my first color, to my 5th was about a week and a half, but I hate grinding, so that was likely on the slow side. 
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I took about 4 hours grinding to gold from zero, and about the same time to grind to plat from gold I think.

just make sure you don't waste any time by only filling your decks with unmastered cards. It's best to do it in waves like all mythic, or all rares, so you can swap out entire decks at a time. 

• TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Thanks again guys, I took a bit of a break from grinding to handle the coalition pileup (seriously, what is with this nonsensical event schedule?) but am planning on getting back to it when I have time this week. already halfway through my Mythics (not that I had many, that is why I am moving on up in the first place).
  • RandomID
    RandomID Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Figured this would be the best place for my 2 cents without starting up a new or necro'ing an old thread. 
    I'm so fed up with the dupe situation, I've hit a second Sram in my buy today - worse than the disappointment is that the trade-in for duplicates is next to worthless. I raised a ticket to have a moan literally the last time I picked up a Kaladesh jewels pack because I hit a duplicate then too, I don't really feel like I can do it again since I did get provided a couple of packs compensation which I thought was better than I expected. That nothing has been done to fix or at least remedy this is pretty annoying since it was the main gripe for many players. 
    Also re: the update, I imagine it will come around to the vault eventually but having to pony up cash as the only way to get Bolas atm is frustrating as hell! 
  • TheF3C3SK1ng
    TheF3C3SK1ng Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm just curious, to those of you that create support tickets because you received dupes, and are apparently getting free replacement packs.

Are you paying (real money) players, or just grinders?

Have you ever opened boxes of IRL magic cards? 

Don't get me wrong, I hate the dupes as well, but at the same time, IRL MTG is a huge joke, and the 'drop' rates IMHO are better in this than in the paper game.

• Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Really really???

Sorry, but no.

You do NOT get a rare each booster, you are NOT hitting a mythic every 8 packs on average. You are NOT going to get an equal chance on any given rare/mythic (extensive testing over the years has clearly shown the system is rigged to try and give you dupes.)

Most importantly: YOU CANNOT TRADE OR SELL CARDS!!!!

YOU CANNOT ACTIVELY GO AND GET MISSING CARDS YOU NEED !

I have plenty worthless paper rares, but at 1000 bulk rates I can trade them for a goyf ^^ A 15$ dupe can be sold to buy a card I actually need.

You can't even begin to compare this and paper MTG :) also; you need to compare them to master sets, since its elite packs ;)
  • Ohboy
    Options
    *cough* free packs.

Apples and oranges. 
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    *cough* free packs.

Apples and oranges. 

You can get free packs in RL, there's even a saying about it, "Like stealing Magic from a baby!"

• span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thuran said:
    You do NOT get a rare each booster, you are NOT hitting a mythic every 8 packs on average. You are NOT going to get an equal chance on any given rare/mythic (extensive testing over the years has clearly shown the system is rigged to try and give you dupes.)
    Where is the proof of this proclaimed extensive testing that the system is rigged to give you dupes? Last I knew, the statistics pointed to the drops being purely random.
  • Ohboy
    Options
    Thuran said:
    Where is the proof of this proclaimed extensive testing that the system is rigged to give you dupes? Last I knew, the statistics pointed to the drops being purely random.

I too am eager to see this research and testing methodology. 
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm just curious, to those of you that create support tickets because you received dupes, and are apparently getting free replacement packs.

Are you paying (real money) players, or just grinders?

Have you ever opened boxes of IRL magic cards? 

Don't get me wrong, I hate the dupes as well, but at the same time, IRL MTG is a huge joke, and the 'drop' rates IMHO are better in this than in the paper game.

They’re referring to dupes in 400 unobtainium elite packs. You can submit a ticket and you will either get a reroll, refund or guaranteed non dupe card (depending on who handles your support ticket).  

Bring F2P or spending money has no bearing on RNG — it truly is random. 
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I haven't had the time to read much more of this thread than the OP, so pardon me if something like this has already been said, but while you can compete with the bare minimum I don't think that's what it's all about, there's a certain power fantasy within all magic players to use the rarest flashiest cards. Yes they're often better cards but it also feels a lot better to play them. This should be available, in some doses to casual players, or else the game gets boring. Yes you can work your way to the top with just commons and uncommons but the real fun in this game for a lot of people (not everyone, but a lot) is playing giant awesome mythics and/or masterpieces. This is a very key part of what makes magic fun, and everyone should have the opportunity to enjoy it.
  • TomB
    TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I wouldn't go so far as to say the system is "rigged" exactly, but I know I've never received 2 of the same card in a paper Magic (15 card) booster, much less 2 of the same rare card in consecutively opened booster packs, and I've been opening them for over 20 years now... ;)
  • Ohboy
    Options
    Ah. But you see it's the paper Mtg boosters that are rigged.