Updates to S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank and Player XP (11/7/17)

Options

Comments

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So how much experience will the other game actions give now?  It is a bit hard to judge the effects without knowing that.

Completing a versus match was only giving 2 XP previously, so if it is being reduced presumably going to be 1 XP under the new system.  Can we expect a similar drop for completing all rewards for a story mission, dropping it to 5 XP?  It certainly sounds like any reduction in XP from opening cover packs will be offset by increases in champion or training XP though.

I wonder if this will be enough to remove the incentive for completing a sixth clear of story events, reducing the points needed to hit certain placement rewards?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Wait. So you are announcing both a negative (less xp foe playing matches) and a positive change (more xp for roster activities). But you are only giving details for the positive side of things?  

Sorry, i refuse to get excited, or even bother commenting further on 1/2 of a new system. I reserve all judgment.  C'mon demi/d3, if you are going to announce a change, please tell us what it actually is.  

Edit: i see brigby's response to phumade.  All xp will come from roster activities.  

Hmm, what is the point of this change?  Cash grab since roster activities can be bought?  People playing too many matches with new pvp?  People playing too few matches with new pvp?  Another barrage in the war on hoarding?

In any event, this reduces the value of sub-optimal 6/6 pve play significantly.  Not sure if it will be a good or bad change yet.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    @Phumade After these changes, the only activities that will grant XP will directly be related to improving a player's roster: recruiting characters, training their powers, increasing champion levels, etc. Winning matches and completing missions in Versus Tournaments and Story events, respectively, will no longer grant XP.

oh great.  so thats the only chart we will need to look at.  My only suggestion is remove the xp from 1* activities.  endlessly selling and rostering 1* covers to get the 100iso and 5xp sounds tedious.  I'd much rather  forgo the xp at those tiers to avoid having to choose between outright selling 1* covers vs endlessly adding and selling those covers.

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Brigby

In the previous system, we’d only get xp the first time we rostered a character. Is that still true?

And if we reroster a 1*, we’d get 5 xp for the rostering, then 9 x 10 xp for training (at the expense of 1000 iso). Do I have that right?
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Follow up question. Are 4* champ bonuses retroactive? I’ve only got two unchamped so if not, looks like I did too well too quickly.
  • mkmagius
    mkmagius Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    Options
    So I just about have every 4*, 3*, and 2* rostered and at 13 covers. So other than occasionally getting a 5* cover and champ levels(which is same before) I'm only getting  xp from duping low * characters? How is that supposed to match my prior rate? How is that supposed to be a better reflection of my roster strength?
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    Suddenly farming 1*s becomes a thing, but that's a lot of iso out the door. Wonder if the trade off is worth it. 
  • TeamStewie
    TeamStewie Posts: 357 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Considering I have almost all the 2 star and higher players rostered I'm having a hard time figuring out how this is supposed to help me. Never mind all the XP I missed out on by putting them there in the first place. 
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ducky said:
    Suddenly farming 1*s becomes a thing, but that's a lot of iso out the door. Wonder if the trade off is worth it. 
    It is,in the sense that the XP gained results in Iso that offsets the loss.  The time cost stinks though.

That's assuming you fully cover 1 and sell.  If you recruit, gain 5XP, then sell.  It's a big win.  Also a mindless time suck.  So pluses and minuses.
  • actuaryal
    actuaryal Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Brigby Any chance selling champs directly will get the recruiting xp?

Under the new system you get 100iso and 5xp for rostering and then selling a 1*, but only get 100iso and no xp for selling directly. This equates to 5xp for useless extra clicking for each 1* sold. 
  • pfarewell
    pfarewell Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Options
    Really the changes exist to encourage people to spend more money on the game. No thank you.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ducky said:
    It is,in the sense that the XP gained results in Iso that offsets the loss.  The time cost stinks though.

That's assuming you fully cover 1 and sell.  If you recruit, gain 5XP, then sell.  It's a big win.  Also a mindless time suck.  So pluses and minuses.
    I've already been wishing there was an option to just give me 100 iso instead of any std tokens.  I'll prob xp farm for a few days, get bored and just start selling them again.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Considering I have almost all the 2 star and higher players rostered I'm having a hard time figuring out how this is supposed to help me. Never mind all the XP I missed out on by putting them there in the first place. 
    @TeamStewie The XP gain before and after will still be the same, it's just that the sources are now different. The XP from roster improvements was increased, in order to balance out the removal of XP from non-roster-strengthening activities.

actuaryal said:
    Brigby Any chance selling champs directly will get the recruiting xp?

Under the new system you get 100iso and 5xp for rostering and then selling a 1*, but only get 100iso and no xp for selling directly. This equates to 5xp for useless extra clicking for each 1* sold. 
    @actuaryal I would speculate that selling characters will not grant XP, since the purpose of S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank is to measure the strength of a player's roster.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Other than 2 star farming and selling off 1 stars, I'm not really seeing how I'll actually gain shield levels now. Edit: Also 3 star farming has become a big deal now.

5 stars- rare has a non hoarder and zero champed.
    4 stars- 50 champed- maybe open 1-3 tokens per day (on a good day) and the occasional heroic/vault/PvP 4 star.
    3 stars- All previously non-vaulted characters ranging from 240-266 And previously vaulted ranging from 220-240.

Seems to me that shield rank has just become a pay to level system now.

• sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Guess you need people to buy more roster slots huh?
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It seems like this will result in less XP for those of us that regularly do full clears in PVE, but I’ll take it since the max is increasing.  Better to get ISO for hitting 126, 127, etc. slowly than never.