Updates to S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank and Player XP (11/7/17)

Options
Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited November 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi Everyone,

In the daily patch on Thursday, November 9th, two changes will be coming to S.H.I.E.L.D. Ranks and Player XP. We’re raising the maximum S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank from 125 to 200, significantly increasing the XP for some activities, while shifting XP away from others.

Here’s some info about why we’re changing where XP comes from: We're aiming for S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank to better measure how much you've progressed throughout the game. In order to do so, we’ll be shifting XP sources away from activities that primarily measure time spent in game, and more towards activities that improve your collection of heroes. The changes are tuned so that, for most players, the speed at which you gain S.H.I.E.L.D. Ranks is roughly the same as before (some will find it a little faster, some a little slower). Tying S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank and roster strength closer together lets us use S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank for event improvements we're hoping to make in the future.

You’ll now get a lot more XP from recruiting characters and training their powers. To balance this out though, we’re removing XP from Story Mission rewards, winning a Versus mission, opening packs, and donating Team-Ups. (Note: New players will still get the first-time XP reward for donating their first Team-Up, completing their first Story Mission, completing their first Versus mission, and completing their first Deadpool’s Daily Quest mission.) We know some of you will miss these XP rewards, but the team has spent a lot of time making sure that with these new changes, players will still be earning the same amount of XP as before. The big increases to XP from other sources, and the additional S.H.I.E.L.D. Ranks and rewards, will help make up the difference.

Don’t you worry, MPQ veterans. We haven’t forgotten about those of you that have already hit Rank 125. We’ve been keeping track of all of the XP you’ve been earning, and you’ll automatically be accredited with the XP you’ve been accumulating, as soon as this change goes live.

When it comes to the increase in maximum S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank to 200, the amount of XP required to reach the next rank, and the amount of Iso-8 awarded is unchanged through rank 125 (including the big chunk of bonus Iso-8 at level 125). Just as was true leading up to rank 125, each rank from 126 to 200 is a little harder to reach than the last, but the Iso-8 rewards increase too. There’s also a big bonus award for S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank 200: 150,000 Iso-8.

Here are the specific XP rewards you’ll get from particular activities:

Update: Replaced the word "cutting" with "removing" for clarity

Comments

• swordfishdata
    swordfishdata Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Will existing XP total be adjusted to reflect roster activity, or will the XP changes only go into effect moving forward?

As someone who is trying to take a completionist attitude towards my roster, I support this change!
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Interesting. I'm not sure I believe that adding champ covers will balance out to the reduction of xp in story missions, but I guess we will find out soon.

Happy to see that the game is still being updated and supported for long time players.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options

Now to decide whether it's worth 900 ISO to roster, max-cover and sell 1* for 95 XP.  And if it's worth the HP for the single extra roster slot to do this in for all of them.

Oh, and +1 for doing this.

I wonder when the first player will hit level 200.

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wow,  looks like dupe building just moved up a few pegs
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This strongly incentivizes 2* farming compared to the old system, which is a good thing, because it calls attention to an important part of the long-term play experience that might not be immediately obvious to newer players. 

Champ rewards are great, and you should make sure you keep getting them.

However, the fact that you get more XP for training a power than adding a champ level is an interesting wrinkle.  Need to chew on that a bit, but I think it's a good thing.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    So pretty much just a way for us to spend on roster slots, increase the iso crunch, and more efforts to deter hoarding.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Im glad this is coming after the sakar LRs.  730 xp to farm a 2* from scratch seems nice but theres probably a lot of people still in an iso crunch since Gambit, breaker of hoards, came on the scene.  
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is a great improvement.  Thanks for keeping up on this task.  My only concern is whether level 200 a big enough jump?  For the sake of clarity and transparency can you consolidate the Before and after XP changes?

I think the proposed changes of shifting xp to rostering/ leveling is very fair and reasonable.  But I would appreciate it if you could list the positive and negative xp for each game action.

I don't have any objections to what is being proposed, but its really unclear what the new xp values will be for winning matches, story mode etc..

• Bubba3210
    Bubba3210 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Phumade said:
    This is a great improvement.  Thanks for keeping up on this task.  My only concern is whether level 200 a big enough jump?  For the sake of clarity and transparency can you consolidate the Before and after XP changes?

I think the proposed changes of shifting xp to rostering/ leveling is very fair and reasonable.  But I would appreciate it if you could list the positive and negative xp for each game action.

I don't have any objections to what is being proposed, but its really unclear what the new xp values will be for winning matches, story mode etc..

They eliminated xp from story mode and other ways we could gain in the past.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My question is are you keeping the 100k iso at level 125.  I am at level 122 and am close to getting that 100k iso.  Please don’t move the goal post again and just make 126-200 worth 100k+
  • waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    wymtime said:
    My question is are you keeping the 100k iso at level 125.  I am at level 122 and am close to getting that 100k iso.  Please don’t move the goal post again and just make 126-200 worth 100k+
    I would recommend reading this part again:  "the amount of Iso-8 awarded is unchanged through rank 125 (including the big chunk of bonus Iso-8 at level 125)"
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    @Phumade After these changes, the only activities that will grant XP will directly be related to improving a player's roster: recruiting characters, training their powers, increasing champion levels, etc. Winning matches and completing missions in Versus Tournaments and Story events, respectively, will no longer grant XP.

The reason for this is because completing them does not increase the strength of your roster, therefore we do not want it impacting your S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank, which should be representative of roster strength only.

@RedLion There are numerous threads discussing the changes to Versus Tournament Progression Rewards, so it would be much appreciated if it could be kept separate from this one, however the development team will be sure to evaluate it again after the current season ends.

@wymtime Yes. The bonus Iso-8 given at level 125 remains unchanged, and a bonus 150,000 Iso-8 will be awarded at Rank 200.
  • Purty_Hawkeye
    Purty_Hawkeye Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    wymtime said:
    Try reading the last paragraph of the OP again.
  • reapermort
    reapermort Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Just one more thing to benefit the whales, super-whales and the Ancients.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Killabee said:
    Just a thought. Based on the chart, what would stop people from recruiting a 1* and selling it immediately. That's 5xp plus the 100iso you were already going to get. 
    I mean...I typically keep between 2-5 roster spots open ANYWAY, so I'm forever selling off 1* that get auto-recruited. Unless the XP for recruitment is 'first time only' as it's been up to this point, that sounds like a win for me!
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Will the tedium of recruiting and selling 1-stars be worth it? Thank goodness we can sort the roster view to only show 1-stars. I can’t say I agree with removing XP from other sources sounds like a positive change. Even if it gets removed from team ups, I'm going to miss it from mission completions. Aw,and from opening packs too? I can’t tell if they’re trying to decentivize hoarding or not.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So how much experience will the other game actions give now?  It is a bit hard to judge the effects without knowing that.

Completing a versus match was only giving 2 XP previously, so if it is being reduced presumably going to be 1 XP under the new system.  Can we expect a similar drop for completing all rewards for a story mission, dropping it to 5 XP?  It certainly sounds like any reduction in XP from opening cover packs will be offset by increases in champion or training XP though.

I wonder if this will be enough to remove the incentive for completing a sixth clear of story events, reducing the points needed to hit certain placement rewards?