The current pink elephant in the room. 5 star boosted Gambit from ill-gotten gains.

Comments

• animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    byc said:
    What I don't understand is why this isn't the norm?

If they want to make $$$, devalue their in-game currencies and let the players loose.  Let them spends thousands to take advantage.

Let's make it P2W.
    Because F2P is the way you build a userbase quickly. Micro-transactions for such games are encouraged to create an easy buy-in to P2W. Instead of having to convince people upfront that your game is worth spending money on, first you get them to actually try it out and enjoy it and feel invested in it.

It's often a very profitable strategy.
  • SpiderKev
    SpiderKev Posts: 78 Match Maker
    These cheaters deserve a strike with the foot to the butt.
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 402 Mover and Shaker
    How about they just go ahead and decapitate Gambit with the nerf bat?  Seems fair after how we got hosed with OML.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Without his boost, gambit nerf isn’t warranted. Gambit vs gambit (without a charged tile maker) is actually a waiting game. Whoever cast red or purple first is at a disadvantage
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    byc said:

If they want to make $$$, devalue their in-game currencies and let the players loose.  Let them spends thousands to take advantage.

Let's make it P2W.
    There already are Buyers lined up to spend... I've personally witnessed the same person buy 7 Starks in one day ($700). An Alliance-mate quit because his wife found out he spent mid-5 figures the previous year.  The game already IS pay-to-win.

The running joke at the top end whale is "What are Hero Points?" They're what you get when you buy CP.

CP is the real end-game currency, and having people EXPLOIT a BUG (after it was patched via a data push) should be rolled back (or identified and sandboxed).

Should be TRIVIAL to identify the buyers based on repeated non-stop $2 purchases.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    alaeth said:
    byc said:

Let's make it P2W.
    There already are Buyers lined up to spend... I've personally witnessed the same person buy 7 Starks in one day ($700). An Alliance-mate quit because his wife found out he spent mid-5 figures the previous year.  The game already IS pay-to-win.

The running joke at the top end whale is "What are Hero Points?" They're what you get when you buy CP.

CP is the real end-game currency, and having people EXPLOIT a BUG (after it was patched via a data push) should be rolled back (or identified and sandboxed).

Should be TRIVIAL to identify the buyers based on repeated non-stop $2 purchases.
    But it's not trivial.  The entire store is automated, no one is overseeing the process in real time.  So d3 would have to sort the data by some set of pre-selected suspicious criteria.  Easy enough as you say.  THEN someone has to go go through the flagged transactions manually to make sure that you have captured the "bad" actors but not too many innocent bystanders.  Then it would be smart have to iterate the process with different criteria a few times because the first set may have some unexpected limitations.  And d3 would have to have extra CS resources available to deal with anything that still slips through.

I am not saying it's impossible, but let's not pretend it is a simple task that d3 could do with minimal effort.
  • Beta-Ray Bill
    Beta-Ray Bill Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    What it boils down to is the people who didn’t have the chance to do it vs the ones who did.

i didn’t have this happen for me so how exactly is it fair that someone else spends $2 and now has a 5* they don’t know how to use vs me who’s earned it up all this time or spending bucket loads to get there?

the idea behind cheating is this, taking advantage of something that’s not given to everyone, not a handicap for those who were lucky enough for it. They were able to track who did this.

if you don’t think they were able to then you have very little that you know about it to start. They deserve to have any cp rewarded to them removed or paid back in a way if it’s been spent.

let them keep their 5* now. It will destroy their mmr and scaling. They will get eaten alive with the little they got. If it’s possible to have them lose their cp until it’s paid back they will lose every future 5* chance. Now that’s fair
  • 8punch
    8punch Posts: 97 Match Maker
    i dont understand the problem at all. 2 dollar for 7 cp sounds reasonable to me. this is how it should be in the first place. that way *5 land is for everybody a possibility.

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    8punch said:
    i dont understand the problem at all. 2 dollar for 7 cp sounds reasonable to me. this is how it should be in the first place. that way *5 land is for everybody a possibility.

I don't Think anyone would complain if everyone was able to get 7 CP for two dollars, the problem here is that only some got it.
  • Avalancher
    Avalancher Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    This was not cheating.

The pitchforks can be put away.

Sheesh, this is absolutely insane how exaggerated some people can get over these things.  And we wonder why the developers don't post here anymore...
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    TF1977 said:
    Hey all - I've been lurking here for a long time and just joined because of this issue.

I've been playing this game since 3* Thor was introduced.
    I've spent money (not whale money) but some and have been a VIP since it was introduced.
    I had 1 5* champion OML who was champed a month prior to him being nerfed.
    I now have 5 champed 5* and all but 6 4* champed. I farm 2* and 3*.
    I play every day. I can be top 5 in PVE and top 10 PVP (before the switch to wins) most of the time, schedule allowing.

That's all to say I'm invested because this is a good game. There are times (like the OML nerf, the vaulting of 4*, etc) that I disagree with what D3 has done. I hate buyers clubs. I really dislike hit lists and retribution from alliances (dear lord that's weak). But I keep playing.

This week, reading this thread - has been the first time I actually got PO'd. This game VALUES time spent like no other. It's really, really hard to get 5* champed. It takes time. The game demands that you play it a lot to get close to the top. I like that it values a deep roster, built up over time. Dare I say - I take pride - in my roster.

2 things.

1. 5* Gambit is ruining the game. He's way, way overpowered. He needs a nerf, or all of the 5* not named BB or Thanos needs a boost. I see a lot of 5* Gambit. And when I thought "some people just hoarded and cashed in at the right time" I still thought he needed to be nerfed - but it's a tough call for D3. OML proved that in some ways. Just make him autogenerate 1 color. Or make him easier to take down.

2. But, it's crazy that for a game that values time invested so much - would give away cheap CP with no repercussions. It's absolutely tinykitty. Give everyone a window at this deal who didn't catch it or find a way to fix it. NOW.

If you value long time players who play by the rules at all, fix Gambit and fix this cheap giveaway.
    By all means feel however you feel about the $2 cp exploit.  But I think it's worth remembering that Gambit was universally seen by the community as very strong, and there are two completely unrelated factors that led to a lot of people cracking open long-brewing hoards to chase him:

(1) His release tokens (mes amis tokens) were bugged at release, so for about 3 hours 5*s (gambit, OML, and Phoenix) were dropping at 25% from those tokens.  Lots of people cashed in CP for him then.

and

(2) Gambit's introduction to the LT pool a few weeks ago was first time since something like March that 3 consensus strong 5*s had been in the latest token pool.  The current LTs are pretty clearly the most attractive token pool since the Thanos/BP/Hawkeye tokens which were last available sometime in March or April of 2017.  So lots of players who didn't get a chance to use the $2cp exploit (like myself ) had already been hoarding for several months when gambit became available.

I am sure that several dozen people have shiny champed gambits almost entirely because of the $2cp exploit.  But many many more players just made efficient use of their resources and maximized their ability to draw LTs when a good 5* arrived (and gambit is definitely very good). 
  • RemoDestroyer
    RemoDestroyer Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    I'm on day 1467. Continuous vip since introduction and I buy starks and asgards here and there.

I missed out on getting 7cp for $2. I'm a little envious but not something I'm losing sleep over. I'm fairly certain it's a small group that really got to abuse it. Really doesn't bother me if the group was as small as i think it is.

Gambit doesn't need a nerf. I think i can consider myself to be in the group of high level pvp players even if i no longer chase 2k, 3k or 4k point scores. I have enough low level champed 5*s that all i see are dual champed 5*s or max champed boosted 4*s. I'm seeing a lot of Gambit but most are still relatively low level. Since he's not doc ock or banner level of course we'll see a lot of a new toy everyone wants to play with. Especially since so many really big hoards were popped on his release. Once his boost is over he won't be so bad. Great for a 5* still but certainly not the pvp god he's been for the last month.
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    This was not cheating.

Sheesh, this is absolutely insane how exaggerated some people can get over these things.  And we wonder why the developers don't post here anymore...
    I wonder if you took advantage of it since you repeatedly call it not cheating, when it so clearly is. What else would you call circumventing the will of the devs and the system by finding a workaround the fix that was implemented? Just dumb luck?

It was clearly cheating and if you think otherwise you clearly have no grasp on the concept of cheating in the first place. 

Obviously d3 thinks it was cheating too as they implemented a " punishment" , tho a pretty weak one. 
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
     The devs don't hand out penalties,  no matter how meaningless,  if they didn't consider this cheating. 

No need to down play it,  it's cheating,  you got away with it,  people are allowed to not like it
  • Avalancher
    Avalancher Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    corytutor said:
    This was not cheating.

I wonder if you took advantage of it since you repeatedly call it not cheating, when it so clearly is. What else would you call circumventing the will of the devs and the system by finding a workaround the fix that was implemented? Just dumb luck?

It was clearly cheating and if you think otherwise you clearly have no grasp on the concept of cheating in the first place. 

Obviously d3 thinks it was cheating too as they implemented a " punishment" , tho a pretty weak one. 
    Dude, read the thread.  Count the responses that totally disagree with you.  Yikes!
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    Cant help but notice you didnt answer the questions. Not surprising